Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   April 2012 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16999-april-2012/)
-   -   cute little baby names! (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16999-april-2012/1326047-cute-little-baby-names.html)

natwatson84 08-16-2011 09:26 AM

hi everyone. im just wondering if anyone has thought of any baby names yet? ...or is it just me getting over excited? 

my DH and i have decided that if its a boy DH chooses, but if its a girl i choose. obviously we have to choose something we both like or it would be totally unfair.

my baby name is susie or suzie (i know they are the same) but she will be named after my mum susan who died of HD. i also like juliet but DH said no. ha ha! i can sense an argument!  

DH likes Harvey or william (after the prince) 

anyone else have any ideas for names? 

Natalie x

dealic 08-16-2011 09:42 AM

We have a boy name picked out, and a first name for a girl. We just need a middle name for a girl smile.gif But I am having a hard time coming up with ideas I like for that.

piratemere 08-16-2011 09:46 AM

Oh, I love baby name talk.  Susie is cute!  So is William. 

Our boy name is Thomas, DHs middle name and my Dad's name, but it is also my sister's top pick, and she is due exactly 4 weeks before me, so she may get to it first.  I like strong, masculine names for boys, but being a Jenny in the 80s shy far away from very "popular" names. If Thomas weren't DHs middle name I would think it was too common, but at least it isn't really popular.  Hudson would be our first pick (My MILs maiden name) but it fits on the popular end of the scale...

Oh, it's a good thing I've got 9 months to think about this, because I love it so much!

natwatson84 08-16-2011 10:04 AM

oooh i think Hudson is a lovely name. x

judybean 08-16-2011 10:07 AM

Picking and 'trying on' names is one of my favorite hobbies of all time!! (hm... is that why I'm about to have five kids?! can't get enough of the fun?! ;) )

I admit, I almost get irritated having to come up with a boy's name.  I feel like we've had stunning, strong boy names and haven't gotten to use one of them!!  At least we've had fun picking out girl names ;)   If Hazel Jane (dd4) had been a boy, her name would have been Elias, Leo or August (we would have just had to seen the baby's face to decide).  I'm still quite smitten with those names for a boy.  I toyed with Ione (eye-OHN) for a girl too, but Hazel was in honor of my German heritage (and my mom's maiden name).  This time around I'm stumped so far.  Currently, we have: Madeline Marie, Katherine Clare, Lucy Margaret and Hazel Jane.  I tend to like traditional, sometimes older girl names.  Nothing made-up, no weird spellings.  Just what I happen to like :)

Cheap Sunglasses 08-16-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyvangy View Post

Our boy name is Thomas, DHs middle name and my Dad's name, but it is also my sister's top pick, and she is due exactly 4 weeks before me, so she may get to it first.  I like strong, masculine names for boys, but being a Jenny in the 80s shy far away from very "popular" names. If Thomas weren't DHs middle name I would think it was too common, but at least it isn't really popular.  Hudson would be our first pick (My MILs maiden name) but it fits on the popular end of the scale...

Oh, it's a good thing I've got 9 months to think about this, because I love it so much!

My 2yr old's name is Thomas (also DH's middle name) and we have been so happy with it!  We have never run into another little Thomas, either, so popularity hasn't been an issue. 

For this pregnancy, our girl name is Vera (family name stillheart.gif) and our boy name is undecided.  I really want Abram, but I have to do some cajoling to get DH on board...

nelson 08-16-2011 12:54 PM

Most of the names that I like are too similar to DS's name or they don't go well with the last name...So far we like for a girl, Frances or Natalie, but I think they are pretty common and DH isn't very excited about either of them.  For a boy we like, Walter or Lennon, DH likes "Hawk"- sorry DH not happening...  I really need help, I feel named out already.

AiryFairy 08-16-2011 01:21 PM

Names came really easy for us this time and I felt baby urging us to decide officially because they felt so right that no other names could possibly fit.  I'm the type that believe babies choose their own names.  I feel we're having a boy and his name will be, Aries Sun.  If we're having a girl, her name will be, Ostara Sky.

csekywithlove 08-16-2011 03:21 PM

If we have a girl she will most likely be Eleanor Rose. Eleanor was my DH's aunt and Rose is a name I adore. Plus I would love to sing Ryan Adam's  song "Goodnight Rose" to her. I am also not against her being called Leanor or Lenora. We are still kicking around the spelling on this one. I like either Eleanor or Elinor. But for some reason I have the urge to put an "e" at the end...

If we have a boy it will be Tavender Millard. Tavender was my great great grandfather's name and Millard is my father's name. I have a sneaking suspicion this one could change up if DH has anything to say about it. But I have been a little pushy since DH was able to name DSS all on his own with minimal input from the bio mom. We'll see!

rajahkat 08-16-2011 05:53 PM

Probably Ficus or Fern in following our theme. :)

Mom2SammyJoe 08-16-2011 06:24 PM

Thomas was on the list for a boy with our second child, who was born a girl. I remember laboring in the fishy pool asking DH, "Is it Thomas or Charles?" We never decided which was fine because we have Rebekah Faye. Faye is my mom's middle name, so I picked a first name to go with it. Our son is Samuel Joseph Cassius. DH is Joseph, and his grandfather had Joseph Cassius for middle names. I did not realize how popular the name Sam is, though. A friend named her son Sam just 2 months after I had my Sam, and now they are going to be in preschool together. Somehow my little guy became "Sammy Joe" which he totally loves, so he will probably be called that forever.

This baby, if a boy, will likely be Jedidiah. We're thinking about Timothy, Peter, or Paul for the middle. The girl name I had picked for our son was Eva Grace, and I am liking that again. Lydia is another name I really like.

With my son, we had a boy name picked before he was conceived and took forever to come up with a girl name. With my daughter, we had the girl name picked, but no boy name. This time we have a boy name picked (before we conceived). Will this be a boy?

Hillaryblaire 08-17-2011 04:04 AM

I have the boy name set (I've known for years) but it's a secret wink1.gif

The girl name is kind of iffy. I like Willow, Seraphina, Violet, and River (for a boy too). I go back and forth daily. I've always thought I'd have a boy first so maybe that's why I can't decide on a girl's name? It's still fun to play with! 

Both names will have 2 middle names though regadless of gender. 

natwatson84 08-17-2011 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiryFairy View Post

Names came really easy for us this time and I felt baby urging us to decide officially because they felt so right that no other names could possibly fit.  I'm the type that believe babies choose their own names.  I feel we're having a boy and his name will be, Aries Sun.  If we're having a girl, her name will be, Ostara Sky.

wow. Ostara Sky is beautiful x

natwatson84 08-17-2011 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiryFairy View Post

wow. Ostara Sky is beautiful x

Ravensong13 08-17-2011 09:10 AM

We have one boy's name picked out, River William. William is my father's and dh's middle name. For girls either Ophelia Fae or Vira Fae. I love Ophelia, but I heard the name Vira when I was in yoga class and finally figured out that I was really pregnant. I thought to myself, wouldn't it be cool if I found a yoga related name? Two minutes later the instructor said, "Vira. It means hero". So that one sticks with me too!

momma2be_k 08-17-2011 12:11 PM

My son's name is Parker James.... but I was so in love with the name Nathaniel. I tried so hard to explain to DH how much I love that name the first time around! I've loved that boy name since I was a young girl and always imagined having a son by that name. Wouldn't you know that my DH isn't exactly thrilled with it? So I'm going to go for it again this time..... Nathaniel David (david is my DH's name) or some other middle name. Try to explain to DH how I've loved that name since I was 12 and how much it would mean to me to be able to use it as our son's name.....

For a girl.... I know that I want her middle name to be Lorraine (my maternal grandma's first name). Possible first names are - Nora, Ella, Maia/Maya, still trying to find others that fit.

DH and I usually have a couple we agree on and don't finalize until the LO is born. Because we won't be finding out the sex of the baby we'll chose a few for each sex. Unless I can get him to agree with Nathaniel.... :-)

and I LOVE LOVE Eleanor! That's my paternal grandmothers name....That would totally be on my list for girl names, but I'd be afraid to hurt my Grandma Lorraine's feelings as she's my only living grandmother. I like the nickname Ellie :-)

piratemere 08-17-2011 12:29 PM

So today, totally without consulting DH, I've decided on Edythe Athalia and Thomas Booth (call him Booth).  And when I say decided, I mean they are just at the top of my list.  Also on the list:

Because I LOVE To Kill a Mockingbird, I've always wanted to use Harper or Scout for a girl and Atticus for a boy. I'm worried that they are getting too popular. 

Chaucer

Bennett (Although, probably not because I have a nephew Benjamin

Zion

Emmett

Paris

Hermione (Probably too chicken to do this one, but I love it.)

Franklin

Elwood

That's all I've come up with so far.  We'll see how many times I change my mind between now and April. 

belacmsage 08-17-2011 01:07 PM

With my 1st we didn't find out the sex beforehand. We had a girl's name all picked out but couldn't decide on a boy's name (which is funny because I was positive from month 3 that I was having a boy). As luck would have it, we had a boy and we had no name for him. We finally came up with 3 names and then went and saw him in the NICU and decided he looked like a Connor Nathaniel. It was that or Torrin Nathaniel or Nathaniel James. The girl's name was Charlotte Olivia. 

With this one, we are each making our own list of favorites and then we will discuss as the time gets closer. It's really difficult to pick a name because in my large, extended family we have an unspoken rule that we don't reuse names. So no naming babies after other people. It odd but that's how my family does it. My DH finds this hard to understand since about half of his family has the name Paul as a first or middle name. Oh well, we just need to be a bit more creative. We won't decide on a name beforehand but will end up choosing a couple and seeing what fits the baby best when he or she arrives.

elmh23 08-17-2011 04:01 PM

My husband refuses to talk names until the baby is born.  With my last baby, he spent maybe an hour or two of my labor (a 15 hour labor in which I didn't want to be touched) going through the name book.  He likes to think he names them, but really, every baby I've gotten the name that felt right to me.  As for this one, I have a girl name picked out and a boys middle name but not a first name.  Knowing me it could change so I won't say anything until he or she is born :)

zuzusplace 08-20-2011 07:19 AM

I've always been allowed to pick the names (he gets say, but I get final pick LOL).16 I usually don't start until much later, but this time names for both sexes just hit me and it happened DH liked them right away.

If it's a boy it will most likely be Quinn (the Latin for for five is quinque and this is our fifth...yes, I'm a classics geek).16 If it's a girl it will almost certainly be Chelsea (a dear friend of mine named Chelsea passed away last month and so it's in honor of her).

miss_honeyb 08-20-2011 05:01 PM

I'm pretty sure for a boy we'll do Benjamin. We already have Matthias, Moses and Judah.

For a girl, no idea. We already have Grace and Clementine.

These are ones I like, in no particular order:

Eva
Thea
Thalea
Aletheia
Adelaide
Mattea
Magdalen
Hazel
Zilla
Ruby
Jemima
Scarlett
Stella
Tahlia
Pearl
Violet
Harper
Mercy
Phoebe

Is it okay to do a "color" name like Violet, Ruby or Scarlett when we already have Clementine? (Not exactly a color, but everyone thinks "orange")

holz 08-20-2011 05:02 PM

We pretty much used up the only name we could agree on on DS (Caleb). This baby's going to be a tough one. For a boy, I like Jonah but I'm not completely in love. For a girl, I'm really liking Eden. DH hates both. This shall be interesting smile.gif

judybean 08-20-2011 06:28 PM

Holly -- I love your list!  And I see Hazel on there, which is a color, but not so overt of a color name... and it happens to be my dd4s name (Hazel Jane... born on her great-grandmother Mary Jane's birthday).  And I love Magdalen!  (but, already having a Madeline as dd1 would be too much, I think!)!

Names are amazing and fun and really carry so much meaning!!

sunflwrmoonbeam 08-20-2011 08:34 PM

We don't announce the real name until the birth, but we have lots of fun coming up with fake names. Last pregnancy we were claiming it would be Aethelthryth Brunhilde for a girl, and Gunther Wolfgard for a boy; and people believed me! This time around, our fake names are Fecundity Algorithm for a boy, and Verisimilitude Redundancy for a girl.

The only thing we're 100% on for real names is that there will be three. My daughter is Evelyn Rose Leslie, and I really like 2 middle names.

meghanc 08-20-2011 10:19 PM

If it's a girl, we're definitely going with Margaret Louise. A boy'll be a little trickier--we like Miles, but aren't totally sold, and don't have any middle name ideas at all.

miss_honeyb 08-21-2011 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybean View Post

Holly -- I love your list!  And I see Hazel on there, which is a color, but not so overt of a color name... and it happens to be my dd4s name (Hazel Jane... born on her great-grandmother Mary Jane's birthday).  And I love Magdalen!  (but, already having a Madeline as dd1 would be too much, I think!)!

Names are amazing and fun and really carry so much meaning!!

I *love* Hazel Jane!! I think Hazel is in the top 3 girls names for me. I'll test it out on DH.  =]

Thursday Girl 08-21-2011 09:37 AM

My girls all have 2 middle names and this one will too.

I am LOVING some of the names you all have posted, they have been on my lists for a while.

Hazel, Mabel, Jemima, Chaucer, Harper, Scout.

Hubs is not okay with any of those, so we move on.

I am stuck on Kate/Katie for a girl. Thinking using my sisters middle names(and one first) Kathryn Meredith Jolie. I have wanted to use Cady after Elizabeth Cady Stanton but am annoyed with the spellin gof my first daughter's name Jewely, I wish we had just done Jewel and am hesitant to use another different spelling.

Currently our top boy name Is Whitaker William Maxwell. William is Hubs middle name and first or middle name for his dad, grandpa and great grandpa. Maxwell is my maiden name. We'd call him Whit.

SweetPotato 08-21-2011 12:35 PM

Names are so fun!  I'm really loving Cecilia Blythe if this is a girl.  Also like Adrienne, but not as much.  Boys are SO much harder!  We like names that are classic, but NOT popular-- with boys it seems like you either have very common or way out there.  I like Sebastian a lot, but dh isn't wild about it.  We both like Duncan.  Middle name might be Jules or Julian.  I also LOVE Theodore, but dh thinks he'd be teased because of the Chipmunks.

ETA:  just checked the SSA website, and Sebastian is in the top 100-- bummer!

judybean 08-21-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPotato View Post

ETA:  just checked the SSA website, and Sebastian is in the top 100-- bummer!

I LOVE Sebastian (but dont' care for top 100 names... bummer indeed!)!... oh, and I deleted part of your quote, but LOVE the name Cecelia too!

justKate 08-21-2011 03:29 PM

DH "decided" on a boy name before DD was born, and I'm going to let him have it, provided he doesn't give me any crap about not circing a boy.  The name is Zane Archer.  Zane for Zane Grey, the American author/fisherman, and Archer off of the tombstone of a civil war era hero.  We thought it was a strong name.

If its a girl, her middle name will be Jean, to follow her maternal great-grandma, maternal grandma, and me.  First name will be tough.  I really like Adele, but of course there's Adele, so that's a no-go.  DH also has an employee with that name.  I like Berol (Beryl?) and Adia, neither of which are cool with DH.  So we'll see.  He's more traditional....I like Adalaide a lot, and Vera--those have both been mentioned.

My best friend just had twins and named them Harrison and Warren.  They don't seem like baby names at all, but I love them now.