any mamas on the lighter side? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-17-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm 120 lbs, at 5'9". i dint mind it normally ;) but during pregnancy it is really hard to gain weight. i had sevier morning sickness and lost about 10 lbs in the first+second trimesters with my first 2 kids, so I'm doing everything i can to gain weight now before morning sickness starts. 

any tips for doing that? ha ha! I'm putting butter and olive oil in everything, upping my red meat intake, still eating lots of veggies, but just trying to eat more of them, and adding butter!

DS-8/06 peace.gif
DD-5/08 innocent.gif
DD-4/12 loveeyes.gif
Due: July2014 shy.gif
semi crunchy, but getting crispier!

*** heartbeat.gif 5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40
#2 of 11 Old 08-17-2011, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, the easiest way to gain weight is to eat tons of carbs! I wouldn't recommend that at all, however. No matter how much weight you'd like to gain, the added issues that come along with boatloads of pasta aren't worth it. 

I don't think you'll see much weight gain unless you really increase your volume of food. That being said, in your position I would eat lots of whole fat everything. Yogurt, milk, cheese (I guess pasturized cheese). 

Do you usually gain more back after the first tri ends? Maybe this is your lucky pregnancy, and morning sickness won't find you? :)

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#3 of 11 Old 08-18-2011, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

thanks. :) when the morning sickeness stoped with the other 2 around 17 weeks, i started gainign weight at a normal rate for pregnancy. and ended up about 15 lb+ from my post m/s weight.   we do whole milk, but ill just start eating more i guess! haha!

DS-8/06 peace.gif
DD-5/08 innocent.gif
DD-4/12 loveeyes.gif
Due: July2014 shy.gif
semi crunchy, but getting crispier!

*** heartbeat.gif 5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40
#4 of 11 Old 08-18-2011, 08:25 AM

It's funny how so many wish we had your problem... but in reality, it's not a great place to be either. 

My little sister is very underweight and having real trouble getting pregnant in the first place.  I always tell her to eat lots of good fats: coconut oil with everything, whole milk, full fat sour cream, yogurt, etc. 

Good luck with a healthy pregnancy!

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
#5 of 11 Old 08-18-2011, 08:54 AM

I'm crashing this thread. I'm actually do the very beginning of Feb.

My weight before pg was 130 this time at 5'8.5". I'm already at 141 in the evenings so I don't have a problem gaining while pg. My weight has started out under 130 with my other 4 kids and I've always gained at least 35 lbs.

Like others said just eat more foods high in healthy fats.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#6 of 11 Old 08-18-2011, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am worried about that this go around.  I am starting out at 110lbs at 5' 6" and that is not where I wanted to be.  With DS I was 125 to start and gained 45lbs.  I needed every bit of that weight for the next year of nursing too.  I am increasing good fats and foods where I can.  Avocado, coconut milk yogurt, olive oil or butter on as much as I can.  My issue seems to be more that DS is sensitive to dairy and so I can only eat so much cheese :)  I am trying to make every meal count because last pg I was throwing up until 18wks.  So far, no throwing up but the nausea has really kicked it up a notch the past few days.  I guess healthy fats, frequent meals, and quality calories are really going to be the best bet.  I like to throw some french fries in there every now and then too winky.gif

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#7 of 11 Old 08-18-2011, 02:17 PM

My 5'10" 145# (muscular) friend lost weight vomiting everything (even with zofran) her first trimester. She grew two beautiful twin girls full term. Sounds like other mamas here have gone through similar weight loss in the first tri. It's amazing how the uterus can keep on doing it's work while momma suffers.

Nuts, lentils, oatmeals and other good grains (quinoa) are also really good for gaining some fat without high risk of insulin issues. Of course, most of America eats carbs like it's going out of style have healthy babies, so who knows?

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#8 of 11 Old 08-18-2011, 09:23 PM

Glad someone started one of these threads! I'm 5'6" and 113lbs *and* nursing. I had 2 nasty awful stomach bugs back-to-back about a month ago that knocked me down to 109 (scary!). Luckily I was able to put 4 pounds back on before getting pregnant. This is my 4th pregnancy and in my first 3, I never gain a single ounce until after 20 weeks thanks to all the food aversions. Then I pack on 35lbs (same with both of my kids, miscarried my first pregnancy) by 35 weeks and again don't gain an ounce after that. It's like I have some kind of internal clock for weight gain. And it all falls off PP with zero effort on my part.

I must admit though, when the weight starts falling off PP, I've been in love with my body and it's shape and size when I'm in the 125-130lb range. It's so awesome to be able to go to a clothing store and not have the clothes just fall right off even in the smallest sizes. And avoid the skinny comments everyone likes to make!

I second all the recommendations. And doubly second to stay away from carb binges - yuck! I've never been able to gain from lots of carbs, just wind up feeling the sugar crashes harder. I don't think eggs were mentioned though? I've personally been better able to maintain my weight (I lose it fast if I'm not vigilant, I hate it!) by eating a protein-heavy breakfast every morning.

#9 of 11 Old 08-19-2011, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I agree with the eggs thing too!  Nursing has put me in a different realm of calorie needs and of course, DS has increased his nursing over this past month.  Today is a little better so I am going to try to eat some more and rest.  That is neat, secondimpression, about the way your body gains weight, I am curious to see what my body does this time.  I also really enjoyed having a few more curves with clothes...I just want a bum back orngbiggrin.gif

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#10 of 11 Old 08-19-2011, 10:16 AM

I'm the lightest I've ever been for starting out a pregnancy (5' 5" around 113lb), which had me concerned I might have a hard time conceiving.  Now that I am, I have family secretively telling DH to make sure I am eating...if they only knew.  I really dislike that people think I don't take good care of myself in regards to eating, when it's the opposite that's true. 

Pregnant or not, I eat foods high in good fats and steer clear of the low fat/non fat options.  I crave foods (mushrooms, onions, kale, asparagus, beet tops, garlic, pasta) sauteed in butter every few days and go with it, figuring my body needs the extra fats and nutrients. 

In the past I've never had a problem gaining the appropriate amount of weight and I don't expect it to be an issue this time either.  From the beginning of this pregnancy, I am hungry way more frequently and for a variety of foods.  So I just go with what my body's telling me I need.  Hoping if I keep that up, that I will be able to stave off the nausea I experienced a few weeks my last pregnancy.  My midwife believes morning sickness is caused from low blood sugar and/or lack of protein and I did notice that correlation for myself.

Tanya treehugger.gif DH-Brian, DD Adri (8), DD Izzy (7), DS Ollie angel.gif (1/5/11 @ 17 weeks) and our rainbow1284.gif baby due April 12th, 2012.

Of all the lessons I did not learn as a child, or even as an adult; I learn through being, mother to my children. Through love and through pain, we are delivered and blessed!

#11 of 11 Old 08-19-2011, 10:48 AM

Oh and I have been eating at least 1 egg a day.  Not usual for me but my body wants it, so that must be a good source of protein and fat.  I like having some hard boiled on hand for when the craving strikes.

Tanya treehugger.gif DH-Brian, DD Adri (8), DD Izzy (7), DS Ollie angel.gif (1/5/11 @ 17 weeks) and our rainbow1284.gif baby due April 12th, 2012.

Of all the lessons I did not learn as a child, or even as an adult; I learn through being, mother to my children. Through love and through pain, we are delivered and blessed!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page