Morning sickness, zofran, and constipation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-17-2011, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Moms!

I am 6 weeks w/baby #3 and am on zofran for morning sickness.  I've been on it for 3 days.  It makes things a little better- no throwing up but still nauseous most of the time.  And now things aren't flowing, if you know what I mean.  I had the same problem with baby #2 and never found a solution.  I've tried prunes, colace, fruit, beans.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

hola.gifLaura, married to DH-Steve, DD- Gabriella (12/07), DD- Carolina (6/10), babyboy.gif due 4/6/12.toddler.gifhomebirth.jpgcd.gif

#2 of 8 Old 08-17-2011, 07:40 PM

test

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#3 of 8 Old 08-18-2011, 09:05 AM

I've never used Zofran, so I can't comment on your problem directly, but wanted to let you know that I've been taking unisom and B6 with great success-- not just at stopping the vomitting, but at really clearing out the nausea as well (it's so nice to be hungry!)  It might be worth asking about, if it could give you more comfort and maybe less side effects.   Good luck!

#4 of 8 Old 08-19-2011, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

I tried B6 with my 2nd and it didn't do anything.  I finally gave in to my midwife's recommendation of Zofran.  I still threw up with it, just not as often and wasn't nauseous all the time.  So this time I just went straight to the Zofran.  At this point I think I'll try the B6  since my body isn't responding the same way.  It's worth a try!  Thanks!

hola.gifLaura, married to DH-Steve, DD- Gabriella (12/07), DD- Carolina (6/10), babyboy.gif due 4/6/12.toddler.gifhomebirth.jpgcd.gif

#5 of 8 Old 08-19-2011, 07:15 AM

I feel like I've been "backed up" since I got pregnant with my first, almost 5 years ago.  If I'm not really careful, I get really constipated.  I think it's a combination of the iron in prenatals and breastfeeding like I do.  Anyway, I don't know if it will help you much, but as long as I have a Green Smoothie every day, and keep away from carbs like pasta and heavy breads and such, I am fine.  The green smoothie is the real lifesaver though.  Yesterday I didn't have one, and things didn't go very well last night in the bathroom, if you know what I mean. 

My Green Smoothie Recipe

1 Vitamix blender

Greens (spinach, lettuce, kale, etc.)

Banana

Other Fruit

Supplements (magnesium, probiotics, etc.)

Water

1/2 fill the blender with greens

Fill the rest with banana and other fruit, supplements, etc.

Add enough water for it to blend

Blend until smooth

It also helps with me not having much of an appetite, because I can just take little sips and get tons of nutrition in.

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
#6 of 8 Old 08-19-2011, 06:08 PM

i'm taking a probiotic each night with food and it's really helping the regularity.

#7 of 8 Old 08-19-2011, 08:50 PM

Try some lacto-fermented veggies (like a spoonful of Bubbies sauerkraut or Bubbies Dill pickle)--or a lacto-fermented Kimchi, etc. if you can eat spicy foods--the natural probiotics may help. 

The prenatal I'm taking (Thorne) has iron in the form of iron picolinate which is supposed to be easier on the stomach and non-constipating so maybe check which form yours has?

Plenty of fresh or dried fruit?  I second the green smoothie idea!

If I remember correctly, 1 Tb of raw honey can help add Bifidum bacteria that's really great for the intestines.

I just had my 1st acupuncture appointment (ever) this week to help with the nausea and fatigue.  I mentioned before the appointment that I had been drinking a cup of a nettle/raspberry leaf infusion every day before pregnancy up until about week 5 but I was actually having diarrhea and I thought it may be from that so I stopped it (and about 5 days later, the diarrhea had stopped).  I mentioned that recently with the nausea and smaller meals, I was getting a little backed up and perhaps I should start drinking it again.  She cautioned against that at this point, not wanting me on too many herbals that were having that effect this early in pregnancy (I'm just at week 8 now) and she said that she would get things moving without herbs.  And she did--one appointment and I have so much of my energy back, and in my intestines, 'things' started moving more quickly later that evening (whether it was directly from the acupuncture or just from moving my body around more I don't know).

Unschooling mama alongside DH (05/01) to DD (5/05).  Expecting #2 spring 2012!

#8 of 8 Old 08-19-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasa View Post

Try some lacto-fermented veggies (like a spoonful of Bubbies sauerkraut or Bubbies Dill pickle)--or a lacto-fermented Kimchi, etc. if you can eat spicy foods--the natural probiotics may help. 

Mmmmm - Bubbies!

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page