weekly chat thread August 18-25 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 82 Old 08-24-2011, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks ladies!  I will stop temping, I promise!  shy.gif

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 82 Old 08-24-2011, 01:14 PM

PrettyIsa - Nice to see a fellow IVFer!  I am 5 weeks now and have my first ultrasound scheduled for Sept 2nd.  Can't wait!  I was having bad side effects to the progesterone lozenges - severe dizziness to the point of not being able to stand up.  It would hit an hour after taking a lozenge and last for at least an hour.  I guess my serum progesterone was too high so they took me down to 1 lozenge per day instead of 3 and bumped up that wonderful curdling cream to twice a day.  I'm grossed out at the thought of having sex with all that junk up there but I think tonight is the night!

My family = Me + DH plus new babe 5/12 make 3 buddamomimg1.png

#63 of 82 Old 08-24-2011, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Nicmom--ooo...so grooosssss! I haven't had to use the cream, but the tablets are plenty disgusting. We managed to mess around a little bit last week, but mostly it's been 2 months of desert around here. Hurray for your first ultrasound! Hopefully you'll be able to see the heartbeat--it was really neat to see it for the first time, but remember that when they first get started it can be a little slow--mine's was only 82 beats per minute and I spent the next week freaking out. This week's was almost twice that, so I think it had just gotten going for the first one.

Christy--I haven't had any of the nausea (well other than a few moments here and there) that I expected, either. But if your boobs are sore all the time and you have to pee all the time (and in my case you're TIRED all the time) you're probably well on your way to babydom!

Moss--I agree--it'll be just perfect timing! As soon as they're ready to go out of the house it will be SUMMER! I was so afraid that I'd spend my maternity leave sitting inside, freezing, if it were a winter baby. I haven't looked into support people yet--my OB is my former GP who switched practices so she can deliver babies. I toyed with a home birth, but we've had some friends who had lots of complications and our house is so small that there's not really anyplace good to set up things like birth pools. So OB it is. but I need to find a doula and probably a midwife. Sheesh. There's just so much to think about!

Everyone else--your canning stories have made me hungry. That is not surprising, but I thought I should let you know. wink1.gif

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#64 of 82 Old 08-24-2011, 04:50 PM

Ugh. I got all excited about canning my newly brewed bone broth. I boiled the jars, poured the boiling broth in the jars, put the lids on finger-tight, put them in the canner, went through the canning process, and four out of five lids came off completely. bawling.gif Why??? Has this ever happened to any of you? I've been through a couple seasons of pressure canning with many cycles, and never had this occur! greensad.gif

Edit: about half of the contents of each jar came out, but can I pour the remaining contents into freezer containers and keep them?

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#65 of 82 Old 08-25-2011, 04:55 AM

My all day ms has hit. All I want to do right now is curl up in a ball and not move. DH leaves this Sunday for about a week and school starts next week. I'm feeling a bit selfcentered right now but I must press on. Hopefully my hour on the eliptical will help....

I just keep thinking, I was on such a good roll with getting things done. Now what am I going to do???

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#66 of 82 Old 08-25-2011, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Rosie- I don't see why you wouldn't be able to freeze the contents instead?  Sorry about the lids coming off, my only guess is that the lids weren't on tight enough but it sounds like you put them on like usual? 

adoremybabe- yeah the all day ms totally sucks and makes you super self centered.  I finished my master's while I was pg with DS and had a huge chunk (my thesis etc) to do while not feeling so hot, it can be done, just give yourself breaks when you need them and use the feeling good times the best you can!

I was going to do a ton of personal responses but DS is getting antsy.  Hope all the mamas are doing ok today.  I am going to try to run to keep the ms a little under control today but I just don't feel like it smile.gif  we will see!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#67 of 82 Old 08-25-2011, 07:53 AM

Rosie, that's a total bummer!  I think freezing would be fine.  I thought for sure you were going to say the jars burst, I've had that happen before, and there's no salvaging the food when that happens!

I'm sorry for all those w/ severe m/s.  I hope it passes quickly.

Well, I felt like crap lastnight and went to the walk in clinic...I may possibly have a bladder infection, which could explain some of the cramping.  But they couldn't confirm that b/c there weren't enough bacteria in my sample, so they are sending that to a lab and I should know tomorrow if it is indeed a bladder infection.  Good news is they did confirm my pregnancy, and I told DH we are going to start telling people now that it has been confirmed by a medical proffessional, (one of several of his stipulations, he doesn't trust over the counter tests, apparently).

I have to find a MW already!  You guys talking about hearing the heartbeat already has me jealous!  LOL!!

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#68 of 82 Old 08-25-2011, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Rosie, I would go ahead and freeze it too.  The only time I've had problems with the lids coming off was my 1st time using the Tattler reusable lids, they had a bit of a learning curve for me.  Did you wipe down the rims of the jar before putting the lids on?  Maybe a little something got on the rims?

Took the kids to the fair yesterday, then I stayed behind with DS1 while DH took the younger three back home.  Ughhhhhhh, fair rides not so good on a queasy tummy, I'm glad I hadn't eaten lunch yet!  dizzy.gif  I was thinking "he's only 6, how bad could it be?" 

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#69 of 82 Old 08-25-2011, 09:10 AM

I haven't found a midwife yet either, Christy.  We won't be able to afford my usual midwife, and I'm in denial that I'll have to get prenatal care at the local military hospital (even if I'm not going to birth there) so I just haven't called yet.  Denial rocks!

Oh, and you didn't temp this morning, did you?  winky.gif

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#70 of 82 Old 08-25-2011, 09:44 AM

red sonya~ you're a braver woman than i. Rides make me nauseous when i'm not knocked up! Ds thinks its hilarious. Lol

anyone worried that they wont be able to get in with their midwife's practice if they wait too long? I keep putting it off but ive got to call today. And i'm old so i probably need an ob too. :sigh: i'll probably just see if the midwives have someone they like.

I havent had a midwife before and i'll ask when i call their office but do they prescribe herbs/meds? And can they order labs? I want to get my vite d and iron checked...

heartbeat.gif

#71 of 82 Old 08-25-2011, 10:56 AM

I'm worried about that too.  Well, DH and I talked about it and we don't think we can afford my midwife this time (we did negotiate the price last time, but even that isn't in the budget this time), but then DH liked the option to have her come over after the birth last time and he realized that if I get my prenatal care at Naval, then that won't be an option.  But, of course, we haven't talked about it at all since then, we still have our heads in the sand.  bag.gif  If we do decide that we are going to try whatever we can to fit it in the budget (tax return, maybe) but wait too long to call then I'll be out of luck. 

chicken3.gif

#72 of 82 Old 08-25-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sonja View Post

I haven't found a midwife yet either, Christy.  We won't be able to afford my usual midwife, and I'm in denial that I'll have to get prenatal care at the local military hospital (even if I'm not going to birth there) so I just haven't called yet.  Denial rocks!

Oh, and you didn't temp this morning, did you?  winky.gif

No temps, I swear!!  shy.gif  I will be interviewing a MW soon, have to call and set that up, and I need to call a local MW school, (had NO IDEA there was one nearby) and see if they can reccomend someone else, too.  I want options, even tho the MW i'm planning on interviewing comes HIGHLY reccommended and I might just go w/ her.  I still need to check out the competition and see who's out there.  I want someone I'm comfortable with, and DH is comfortable with, and probably DD, too, as she is saying she wants to attend the birth.  love.gif  I really wish I lived near my BFF's mom, she is a MW of 30+ years and is awesome.  She missed delivering DD by 1 day!  She was in a practice of MW's/OB's, and they took shifts @ the hospital, so you met them all and @ birth, you got who you got.  I liked the MW I got, but didn't have the connection I did w/ friend's mom and another MW there that I got close to.

#73 of 82 Old 08-25-2011, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Last time, my mw was the first one outside of immediate family members that heard I was pregnant. I called her at 13 dpo and made sure I got on her list!  She is popular and fills up quick.  That was in NC and now I am in NYC.  I have gotten recommendations for a couple that I think I would like. I kept leaning toward one and she couldn't see me until mid september....totally normal.  So I sat around a few days and thought I should be "responsible" and interview more than one.  So I set up an appt with one for today but I just didn't really like her on the phone.  She wasn't mean, she just seemed irritated and when I asked if it was ok to bring DS, she kind of sighed and said "well it's up to you. Do you think you can get your questions answered with him there?"  It wasn't mean, it just wasn't really kid friendly. I was bending over backwards to get someone to babysit so I could go alone and everyone was unavailable.  I got a call from the mw I prefer and she was super nice and I asked if it was ok for DS to come and she said "oh yeah, we have a toy box and kids come all the time, it's typical for the whole family to come."  Ok, she just seems to fit me better.  I cancelled the appt today and I am just going to go with my september appt.  I didn't feel like walking the mile or more to the appt today during a time when I feel the sickest.  Ok this turned into a novel, sorry redface.gif  I am just excited about this mw and really kind of missing my first one...

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#74 of 82 Old 08-25-2011, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I'm friends with my midwife on Facebook, and the day after we found out, I sent her a message making sure she'd have an opening in early April!  Knowing that she covers parts of Montana *and* Wyoming, I wasn't going to take any chances on not getting her because I was too slow.

This week has abeen a good week at home, I think. Some area of slight disturbance, but otherwise our homeschooling has gone rather smoothly, I've gotten a big cleaning project completed (my sewing room... it was SUCH a disaster... truly just disgusting... now, it's not sparkling, but it's not dirty!), dd4 is still nursing like crazy so obviously my supply hasn't dipped or changed enough for her to stop or complain... and so life is okay.  Broke, but okay ;)  I have no clue how we'll actually *PAY* for the midwife yet... but we'll figure that out eventually.  Mine just requires full payment by 36 weeks.  Thankfully, tax returns come in by then, so if nothing, we'll do that.

On canning talk, my box of pears never got canned :(  They were sitting in the kitchen (with the lid off of the box) and while I was helping the older girls with their school work (division for one, reading comprehension for another and writing letters and connecting sounds with the other), dd4 was in the kitchen poking holes in and squishing pretty much every. single. pear.  They're a gross, squishy mess now.  I feel like they're mocking me and pointing out my failure every time I go into the kitchen... blergh.  At least sewing is filling some of my need for domesticity... I've made some baby outfits (haven't taken pictures yet though... must do that!).  Yesterday I made some placemats for my mom's birthday (today!)... I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out! 

Placemats

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#75 of 82 Old 08-25-2011, 12:25 PM

judy that is seriously depressing about the pears. On the bright side, the place mats look great.  I'd like to make some nursing pads this time.  I was newer to sewing last pg and working, so I didn't do any.  And I had massive, horrible oversupply, so I didn't trust cloth.  It seems like joann's is carrying PUL now, so I was thinking about practicing a little and then trying to make some formed ones--my boobs are too big for the flat type.  Anyone have a tutorial they like for nursing pads?  If not I guess I'll wing it--thinking about cutting up some older receiving blankets for the absorbent layers.

My other sewing projects are winter PJs for DD, which I made waaay too big somehow (size 2, should have done a size 1/2 or 1!) and finishing the kitchen curtains.  DD has also decided that each of her stuffed animals needs its own blanket, so that should use up lots of scraps.

Re. midwives, the one I had last time was so fabulous that I don't think anyone will hold a candle to her, so I'm not really hoping for it.  I'm going with the midwives at the military hospital, which is newly renovated and as baby-friendly as any of the other local hospitals.  DH is not cool with a homebirth, although if this birth is easy I guess he might change his mind.

We're looking at being hit by the hurricane on Saturday, so I'm going to take a little shopping trip with DD, I think, to get out of the madness.  DH will have to stay at work anyway, so we might as well go somewhere that will more than likely still have electricity and working septic. Trying to find a hotel with an indoor pool near an IKEA or something....

#76 of 82 Old 08-25-2011, 12:32 PM

I called my midwife right away, and I'm glad I did. She doesn't usually travel this far, but says she will attend us since she worked with us before. She said she was glad I called right away, and she is going to take fewer clients in April so she can be with me! I apologized, and she said she is glad to do it. Last time she came to our house for every appointment, but we lived closer then. We may meet at my mom's for some appointments, and I told her I am more than willing to drive to her. She is 75 minutes away. She said she has several people due in September, so we are waiting til October 6 to meet. I'll be 12-13 weeks then, so no big deal. I am going to see my family nurse practitioner in a few weeks to get some blood work done that the midwife wants. I will have them try for a heartbeat, but I will probably be too early, 9-10 weeks.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
#77 of 82 Old 08-25-2011, 01:08 PM

Let's see, MS hasn't been too bad yet. I've had my bouts of nausea, but some nux vomica or lemonheads seem to help that. 3 times this week I have run to the bathroom to throw up but just ended up with one huge dry heave instead since there wasn't anything in my stomach yet. I ended up having an ultrasound yesterday which I just found out was scheduled 2 days before. I had an ectopic that ruptured 3 months before I got pregnant with my daughter, so we are very vigilant about getting in for an u/s early to make sure that everything is where it should be. Thankfully everything seems to be doing well, but I'll get an official report once my on gets the results. I won't actually have my first appointment until the 12th though when I'll be 10w5d, so it was nice to get a look at things before then. I also got to hear the heartbeat which was very reassuring! It was a nice strong 158. I've had a litle discoloration on the toilet paper but mostly a very light brown and with the u/s and the MS I am not too worried at the moment.

Erin , loving wife to Dave, mom to 3cat.gif, angel.gifangel.gifDec. '06, angel.gifOct. '08, DD Reagan Oct. 3, 2009

and DS Jack April 4,2012

#78 of 82 Old 08-25-2011, 03:06 PM

moss - Like flavorful1, I was really worried about not getting in to my MW's practice. They only take 5-6 per month, so I called her the day I got my BFP. I said "Do you have room for April?" and she laughed, and said yep, my spot was reserved. I guess it was silly of me to think April might be filled when my BFP came at 12DPO and EDD is 4/2! :lol

Christy - I thought the jars were bursting! This all happened after I turned off the heat and took the weight off. Something about the steam releasing must have upset those jars. I looked at the rings and there was only one that could be suspect, the rest were almost new. I took the canner off the heat myself, maybe I did something differently than DH would? Oh well. I lost 1/5 of the stock volume and put the salvaged amount in the chest freezer. I plan on making more as soon as I've got the bones collected for it. I'm finding bone broth to be a great solution to my queasiness. It isn't appealing initially, but it makes me feel better after I drink a cup.

Also, regarding wanting MW options I wanted them too. We met with several, and felt so much better about one that any of the others that we knew for certain they were the right ones to go with. Interviews/info sessions can go a long way toward getting a feel for whether you click or not.

Red Sonja - There's no way you could get me on a ride right now! No way no how, and I usually LOVE them!  Do you have to put a deposit down immediately? Maybe since you already have a relationship with them you can call and say you'd like to reserve a spot but are figuring out how to pay for it. Also, I wonder if they would consider letting you do prenatal care at Naval but deliver with the MW at a severe discount. I don't know how they would feel about that, but it certainly would be much less of a time investment for them?

judybean - Pretty placentas! Too bad about the pears. Couldn't you make a compote or some other pureed thing out of them? The squishiness wouldn't matter then...

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#79 of 82 Old 08-26-2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
judybean - Pretty placentas! Too bad about the pears. Couldn't you make a compote or some other pureed thing out of them? The squishiness wouldn't matter then...

This cracks me up! I know you meant placemats, so I don't know if your phone filled in placentas or if it is pregnancy brain taking over, but this made me laugh!

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
#80 of 82 Old 08-26-2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2SammyJoe View Post

This cracks me up! I know you meant placemats, so I don't know if your phone filled in placentas or if it is pregnancy brain taking over, but this made me laugh!

lol.gif  I have no idea whether my phone did that or my babybrain did that, but I'm glad you pointed it out. I'm dying here! ROTFLMAO.gif

#81 of 82 Old 08-26-2011, 07:03 AM

Oh Judybean!  those placemats are awesome!  I'm sure your mom will love them!  Placentas are pretty, too!  ROTFLMAO.gif

Still no puking, but having bouts of nausea at different times during the day.  Just suddenly come over me, then go away again just as suddenly.  Weird.

Boobs are SORE!  I ate too many potato chips yesterday and all the salt made me bloated...woke up this morning to pee, and when I stood up, it felt like someone was hanging from my boobs!  DH said they definately looked swollen, not sure if it's the bloating, the baby, or both!  Holy cow!  They are still sore, my bra is hurting me in places.  BUT I am NOT complaining!  It took me this long, I will not complain about anything pregnancy related!!!  2whistle.gif

#82 of 82 Old 08-26-2011, 08:53 AM

I've just now found this thread, and technically it should have ended yesterday. I will try to stay up on the new threads as they come.

Judy, as always I love your sewing, I am itching to get sewing myself, my machine just got fixed and I need to go pick it up, I think I will do it this weekend. I'm not even sure where to begin sewing wise, I guess making some pouches to put up for sale to try and bring some extra money in...and a costume for a friends kids party we attended while my machine was out to be fixed.

MW's, I called my midwifes office the day I found out so I could confirm the pregnancy, A week or so later I called my friend, and the midwife who caught Juniper and asked if she would be my midwife even if she wasn't on call after it dawned on me the practice has 3 midwifes. She assured me that she had already told the owner of the practice that this birth was hers, and my friend who is one of the birth assistants agreed to come for my birth even if she wasn't on call. I am really pysched to be using a friend for the birth I think it will make it that much more amazing. We really clicked at the last birth and having kids around the same age we began to hang out. Oh and we both have Juniper's LOL.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page