Calling Knitters and Crocheters! Are you working on projects for the new bundle yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 64 Old 08-19-2011, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I knit knit.gif and crochet crochetsmilie.gif, and am working on a crocheted blanket I started last night.  Will be knitting caps and booties as well.  Everything gender-neutral at the moment, lol.  The blanket is a 4-ply off-white yarn, lost the label, but I think it's Red Heart.  Caps and booties will be made from some white yarn a friend gave me, again, no labels, but it's soft, thin baby yarn, white w/ shiny white strands mixed in it.  I will also work on a layette, or a baby dress once I get a few blankets, booties and caps made. 

What are you working on?  Want to do any pattern swapping?  Sheepish.gif

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#2 of 64 Old 08-19-2011, 11:50 AM

I also knit and crochet! I have alot of retro and vintage patteren, originals from the 50's-80's. I have made some things, but I dont have the time like I want to devote to making all those really cute hand made baby layettes. I plan on doing a spring layett I hope I can get it done. I make a blanket for every baby I have. Thats my list so far. Iam looking for an quick and easy soaker pattern.

Midwife & Mom to Gracen 9 luxlove.gif, Avery 6joy.gif Urijah 4superhero.gif Greta Sue, 9-9-10babyf.gifuc.jpg  Oh Baby! 1sttri.gif Due in April

#3 of 64 Old 08-19-2011, 01:39 PM

I crochet and quilt/sew :) I have so much wool/fabric I could get lost in it!! I love my projects!!! I will be doing lots of things for the baby this fall/winter. I'm so excited to have that time to work on certain things. I haven't started anything yet...but I pan to soon. And I would love to pattern swap:) I'm on Ravelry too, if anyone wants to friend me let me know:) I'm Tulafina on there too:)

So...seeing as we're crafty.....I was thinking of offering to organize a gift swap on our DDC. I have organized 2 now and I seriously love it!

What do you guys think? I know that Mothering likes it if we do it privately so I may get people to PM if they are interested. I won't get too serious about organizing it until we're safely in the second trimester.

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

#4 of 64 Old 08-19-2011, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

dont knit or crochet...but i sew/quilt and i love to do some pattern swapping. :)

yeah crafty mamas!

DS-8/06 peace.gif
DD-5/08 innocent.gif
DD-4/12 loveeyes.gif
Due: July2014 shy.gif
semi crunchy, but getting crispier!

*** heartbeat.gif 5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40
#5 of 64 Old 08-19-2011, 02:10 PM

I'm a hopeless fiber addict.  In fact, I just got a spinning wheel, hoping to learn how to spin this year... that may have to be put off.  I have started one project already, and I'm not sure if I really feel as tired as I am, or I'm just milking it so I have an excuse to just sit and knit all day!

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/aleenan-mekko

I'm on Ravelry too, as jennyvangy.  Add me, and you can check out what I'm working on!

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
#6 of 64 Old 08-19-2011, 02:37 PM

I knit, crochet, spin, sew, embroider...yeah, we have a lot of fiber in my house :)

I'm working on a crocheted blanket for the baby from a stitch pattern I found in a Harmony Guide. It's a rich rainbow self-striping yarn (I HATE pastels). I might do a hat down the road, but we'll see. I also plan to cross stitch an illuminated monogram once we figure out this one's name.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#7 of 64 Old 08-19-2011, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I knit and crochet and just started sewing.  Lol I can make pillows, curtains, and a toddler activity book so far innocent.gif  Would love to swap patterns, swap gifts, etc.  Cannot tell you how excited this thread made me!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#8 of 64 Old 08-19-2011, 06:05 PM

i knit and sew and would love to share and swap with everyone. I knit a blanket in 2009 for the baby we lost at 7 weeks (didn't find out until 10) so i'm a little gun shy about starting anything right yet. but i'm still hopeful and there are SO many great patterns to be knit. I'm on ravelry too.

#9 of 64 Old 08-19-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post

I knit, crochet, spin, sew, embroider...yeah, we have a lot of fiber in my house :)

I'm working on a crocheted blanket for the baby from a stitch pattern I found in a Harmony Guide. It's a rich rainbow self-striping yarn (I HATE pastels). I might do a hat down the road, but we'll see. I also plan to cross stitch an illuminated monogram once we figure out this one's name.

The dress I'm making is kind of a mustardy, brassy colour.  It's awesome, and so not pastely.  I agree, no pinks and blues. 

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
#10 of 64 Old 08-20-2011, 01:37 AM

I'm a knitter and spinner, and my houseguest is teaching me how to quilt. Sadly, I'm not great with patterns, but I'd love to see pictures of what other people are working on!

I'm not knitting anything for the newb yet, but am focusing on making some special "Thanks for being a great kid" gifts for my daughter, who's not entirely sure that she wants a sibling. (I think that once the baby gets here, she'll be fine, but right now, she insists that she would like to remain "single", as she puts it, forever.) I'm sure that in a few months the baby-knitting will ramp up.

Also, Jennyvangy, while you're pregnant is a great time to learn to spin! My carpal tunnel is already flaring up thanks to water retention, so spinning is about all I can handle right now--it doesn't aggravate my wrists at all.

#11 of 64 Old 08-20-2011, 06:14 AM

I am a knitter - hazelbranch on Ravelry.  I don't have any plans for the little one yet, but I've got a few patterns in my favourites that I'll take a look at again in a couple of months I think.  Right now I'm trying to get as many holiday knits done as I can. :)

knit.gifLaura, mama to my wonderful Wilhelmina (11/08) energy.gif and my precious Peregrine (4/12) babyboy.gif

#12 of 64 Old 08-20-2011, 07:03 AM

I'm not sure I'll have time.16 I'm finishing my last year of my B.A.,but I've made things for my other little ones, so hopefully I can manage.16 It seems like a hat or something should be do-able at least.16 If nothing else I can always con my 12 year old into making something for them LOL.

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

#13 of 64 Old 08-20-2011, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm a very (very!) slow knitter.  shy.gif  Once the shock wears off a bit, especially for DH, I'll probably start knitting.  I'm zythe on Ravelry. 

I like that raglan tunic!  Hmmm, I'm not sure what I want to knit for this little one.  Definitely some longies, I know that!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#14 of 64 Old 08-21-2011, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My SIL is due around the same time, so I've already knocked out a set of knit legwarmers "for her." It seems too early to put a lot of emotional work into some fiber gifts at the risk of a loss, and yet the time is bound to fly, so I don't want to put it off either. So I plan on making doubles of a few easy things (like the legwarmers) and if it doesn't work out for one of us, then I guess it will all go to the other.

I sew (and quilt), knit, and crochet so the upcoming months will hopefully leave me with lots of time for being creative.  I'm jillande on Ravelry.

fairy.gif (DSD 10yo) angel2.gif (29wks - 2/2012) babygirl.gifrainbow1284.gif (1/2013)

#15 of 64 Old 08-22-2011, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Oh yay, I'm so excited!  I knew there would be some other crafty mamas here!  The blanket I'm crocheting is just a basic one, 1st 2 rows are single crochet, next 2 are double, and the body will be treble crochet, 4ply yarn in an off-white color w/ size H hook.  I like doing the top/bottom of the blanket a little thick and have it light in the middle/body, plus as a spring baby, I'm thinking treble crochet will be a bit lighter and less hot for the baby.  I want the baby warm, but not too hot!

I also just started a knit cap w/ white 3-ply baby yarn using size 6 DPN's in a Coats & Clarke freebie pattern from the yarn aisle, lol.  I didn't start w/ 4's then switch to 6's like they call for, b/c I don't want it to be too tight, and that seemed like it would squish the poor baby's head

It's really easy, (crochet cap pattern here, too):

http://www.coatsandclark.com/cgi-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_id=91&page_id=10095616&query=baby+cap&hiword=BABYS+baby+cap+

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#16 of 64 Old 08-22-2011, 07:24 AM

I just learned how to knit in the past year. (My husband taught me!) So this will be the first babe I can knit for. I want to make a blanket, for sure. So far, I have only made scarves, so I will need to learn how to follow a pattern to make the cute little hats and wool diaper covers I would love to make. I'm going to start making scarves for the winter for my two preschoolers soon.

#17 of 64 Old 08-22-2011, 10:17 AM

i love knitting cute little baby hats and can see knitting lots over the winter.

Do the little legwarmers stay on babies? Anyone have a pattern that doesnt slide right off? They do look really cute smile.gif

Is anyone knitting wool diaper covers? I used felted butt covers made from old wool sweaters with my first and will definitely be making some of those for the new babe but might also do up some knitted ones.

heartbeat.gif

#18 of 64 Old 08-22-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post

i love knitting cute little baby hats and can see knitting lots over the winter.

Do the little legwarmers stay on babies? Anyone have a pattern that doesnt slide right off? They do look really cute smile.gif

Is anyone knitting wool diaper covers? I used felted butt covers made from old wool sweaters with my first and will definitely be making some of those for the new babe but might also do up some knitted ones.

I plan on knitting some covers before this baby arrives.  I don't even have any fitteds to put them over, but I need to restock my diaper stash, so having some covers will make me buy some.

I love legwarmers.  One day, if I ever have a girl, I figure that I will love them all the more because I can coordinate them under dresses, instead of under pants.  As long as they are ribbed or have a tie, they generally stay up fine. Here's a pattern I've made up for some: http://handsfullofhappiness.blogspot.com/2010/10/just-in-time-leg-warmer-pattern.html

These are the cover patterns I am going to try:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/fulled-wool-diaper-wrap

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/curly-purly-soaker-pattern

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/kanoko-pants

#19 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I want to make one of these- its a sleep sack, knitted. Anyone have a pattern or a place to look for one? 

http://www.etsy.com/listing/62663783/sale-organic-cotton-button-up-knapp-sack?utm_source=etsyfanpage&utm_medium=api&utm_campaign=api&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=App_Seller&utm_content=items&utm_campaign=fb_seller_item

homescholing traveling mama of two ('08 and '12) expecting May 2015!
#20 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 07:04 AM

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/button-up-baby-wrap

It's almost exactly like the one you posted!

#21 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 08:37 AM

I'm a knitter! I do plan on knitting up some adorable items but for now I am busy food preserving and knitting 6 boleros for my sisters wedding next month! I can't wait to see what you all make!

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#22 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I nearly squealed when I saw the button-up baby wraps!  energy.gif  I think that is now on my list, too!

#23 of 64 Old 08-24-2011, 04:12 PM

oh wow, that button up baby wrap is sooo adorable. It's a good thing my yarn store has a sale on right now!

heartbeat.gif

#24 of 64 Old 08-25-2011, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

I opened this week's "people" magazine, (I work in an office and we get the rag mags, lol), and on page 4 is Jewel w/ her new son, and he's wearing a knitted soaker!  Sheepish.gif  He's so itsy-bitsy, too, and you can still see his umbilical nub.  Very sweet picture.

#25 of 64 Old 08-29-2011, 10:04 PM

Ooooh I am sooo excited to see this. I love knitting. I kind of sew too but not really the informed seamstress. I just kind of make the simple things like a yoga mat bag or rice hot/cold packs.

I am on ravelry too, CraftyYoginiMama is my sn for there as well as TBW and diaperswappers.

My first instinct following calling the midwife I wanted to interview was oh my gosh I only have 9 months to knit stuff for the baby. But I didn't want to make something and not have the baby stick so I waited a couple weeks plus I just kind if slept the first 5 weeks away and then last week went to my moms and started a pair of socks for dd. Put it down until yesterday and finished the first last night. Now to motivate myself to make the other..heave hoe heave hoe lol. I figure I will pour my excitement into dd until I feel more confident this baby is staying and can find some pretty gn colors I like. I think I will do that awesome sleep sack in a brown color. Super cute! That might be my first project for the baby.

Once I am better able to make and meet my day to day commitments again I would love to consider joining your swap. But right now it will be in my I'd love too world. I just don't want to let anyone down.

Yay for other Craftymamas!

"E" reggo :yoga wash.gif :clothes and if I have time knit.gif peas in a pod with overworked DP "E" Cosleeping, Extended breastfeeding, Cloth Diapering(a bit obsessed), babywearing, SAHM to DD wl 9/09 and expecting homebirth in 4/12 joy.gif
#26 of 64 Old 08-31-2011, 09:11 AM

last night i started the butterfly baby wrap~its just like the buttonup wrap but on smaller needles. I didnt have size 17's!

I keep looking at the buttons on these wraps and keep seeing them as a chooking hazard. Any other ideas that are less chokable?ast night i started the butterfly baby wrap~its just like the buttonup wrap but on smaller needles. I didnt have size 17's!

I keep looking at the buttons on these wraps and keep seeing them as a chooking hazard. Any other ideas that are less chokable?

heartbeat.gif

#27 of 64 Old 08-31-2011, 10:00 AM

An i--cord tie sewn on or a crocheted chain sewn on?

Quote:

last night i started the butterfly baby wrap~its just like the buttonup wrap but on smaller needles. I didnt have size 17's!

I keep looking at the buttons on these wraps and keep seeing them as a chooking hazard. Any other ideas that are less chokable?ast night i started the butterfly baby wrap~its just like the buttonup wrap but on smaller needles. I didnt have size 17's!

I keep looking at the buttons on these wraps and keep seeing them as a chooking hazard. Any other ideas that are less chokable?

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#28 of 64 Old 08-31-2011, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:

A braid frog maybe?

Honestly, when I look at these adorable wraps, I imagine them as being for supervised wearing only, like for photos. So I'd probably put on some giant buttons with some excessive sewing and stop use if baby does decide to start chewing on the button.

fairy.gif (DSD 10yo) angel2.gif (29wks - 2/2012) babygirl.gifrainbow1284.gif (1/2013)

#29 of 64 Old 09-06-2011, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Finished the first knit cap and a knit bib.  I just sort of freestyled the bib, I think it's too small, but we'll see.  Need to start some socks and more hats, lol.

#30 of 64 Old 09-13-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.freevintageknitting.com/baby.html

**Squeals**  I love vintage patterns, check out the soakers!!  biggrinbounce.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page