98% excited 2% scared... or is it 98% scared, 2% excited? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-20-2011, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

First timer here!  

I'm a first timer and it was totally unexpected.  My husband and I are both excited but not prepared at all.  To make matters worse, I have many upcoming events where it will be noticeably unusual if i don't drink and i'm not ready to tell people!  what do i do?

otherwise, i am feeling practically no symptoms, just a little more tired.  I wish I was feeling more so that it would seem real but at this point I just feel like I'm dreaming or making it up!  does anybody else feel like they are losing their mind!?!

happily married to my rock and roll cowboy guitar.gif since 2009, living the dream with our Rosebud, 26/04/12 joy.gif

#2 of 7 Old 08-21-2011, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Congrats and welcome to MDC!  And yes, I'm with you on feeling like I'm losing my mind.  Still have my head in the sand a bit here.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#3 of 7 Old 08-21-2011, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Even though the first week was rough, I'm now feeling "normal" and it doesn't seem real yet at all. I am so anxious to have my first OB appointment so it can be a little more real.

I originally wanted to wait until 12 weeks to share the news with family, but DH is agitated at waiting so long, so when we see our family all together in a couple weeks, we're going to share the news. It will be the first grandchild in my side of the family, so there will be a lot of hubub. That might make it more real too. And then hopefully nothing bad happens.

The day DH and I found out we were pregnant, we ended up going out with some friends for dinner and ended up at a bar. So yeah, me drinking water, of all things, in a nice restaurant while everyone else had cocktails, and then at a bar was plenty obvious. But DH made up some story and that was that. I'm not sure what your events are, but it's something where you can order a glass of ginger ale away from the group and appear "normal" perhaps that's a way around the issue for a bit longer. Or you could be "taking antibiotics." There must be plenty of stories, as long as you won't feel overwhelmingly guilty about telling those around you the lies. :-S

fairy.gif (DSD 10yo) angel2.gif (29wks - 2/2012) babygirl.gifrainbow1284.gif (1/2013)

#4 of 7 Old 08-22-2011, 01:45 AM

Hi tarabelle, I totally know how you feel. I've been thinking/feeling I was pregnant for the last few days and just got my BFP today (at 17 dpo, finally!)

in the next few weeks I will be meeting up with a lot of friends/university colleagues who I haven't seen for a while and I know there will be situations where it will look totally obvious that I'm not drinking alcohol (there is always alcohol at nearly any occasion here in Australia).

I guess I should start thinking of excuses now because like you, I'm not ready to tell people IRL and many of these people know I've been ttc so they will definitely suspect something.

A dedicated treehugger.gif and academic, 32, married to DH hippie.gif since 07/07

Became a mommy to DD in May 2012 - so happy and in love!

#5 of 7 Old 08-22-2011, 07:37 AM

A great drink to order is Sprite with cranberry juice and a lime.  It tastes awesome and looks like it's alcoholic.  As long as you can order it away from the group or talk to the waiter/ess away from the group.  I drank that a lot in my last pregnancy.  :) 

And of course there is always the I have a headache excuse. If I drink alcohol with even a minor one it gets 20x worse almost instantly so I avoid it at all costs if I have one.  And chances are you will have a headache being pregnant and all so you won't be lying.  I've had one for 3 days now.

#6 of 7 Old 08-22-2011, 09:01 AM

Saying that you're the designated driver always works as well!

#7 of 7 Old 08-22-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

I don't drive, otherwise that would be perfect!  I'm thinking i'll tell people that i'm doing a detox before i go back to university in September, but i know there is always a chance of encountering the well meaning friend who says "come on, will one beer really hurt?"  WELL IT COULD!!! I'll have to think of something though, because my best friend returns to town on wednesday and her big welcome home party is scheduled for a few days later, then it's my 25th birthday!  who doesn't have a drink on their birthday!  

I'm so bad at lying and I think I'll probably tell her, but word travels FAST among our group of friends.  wish me luck!

happily married to my rock and roll cowboy guitar.gif since 2009, living the dream with our Rosebud, 26/04/12 joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page