Really bad all day sickness/food aversion - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-21-2011, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else having terrible all day morning sickness? I'm so miserable. Have a toddler who needs me and I just feel so worthless. Fixing her something to eat makes me gag and I dread it. I even woke up in the middle of the night last night to throw up. I'm having a hard time with feeling so bad. Any advice/suggestions? Anyone else feeling like this? I was lucky my first pregnancy and never felt like this.

Mama to my 2 sweet baby chicks! DD1 is 3 and DD2 born April '12.
They make me joy.gif
#2 of 9 Old 08-21-2011, 04:03 PM

I've had it pretty bad.  Last weekend I started taking 1/2 a unisom and 25 mg B6 in the evening and before getting up in the morning, which has helped a lot.  I can feel the residual nausea getting worse throughout the day, though, and have very strong aversions (basically, at any given moment, there are only one or two things I can think of that DON"T sound revolting-- and it can be tricky figuring out what those things may be).  I'm trying to avoid adding a dose of meds at noon, but have been given the go ahead if I get desperate.  Right now, I'm making due with a couple staples-- dry rice krispies and real lime popsicles are usually acceptable.  I feel for having to take care of a toddler as well.  I'm lucky that my dd is old enough (5.5 yo) to grab herself something if I'm not up to it.  It'll be a rough few weeks here, but I'm hoping that maybe this is the worst, or close to it (I'm at 8 weeks tomorrow). 

I hope you get some relief-- I know it's hard!

#3 of 9 Old 08-21-2011, 05:20 PM

I have really bad all day/night sickness too.  I was expecting it with my third because my 1st two were so difficult.  It starts at 6 weeks and lasts until 14 weeks with me.  With my 1st I just dealt with it by sleeping when I could and eating almost constantly.  But I was miserable and gained 15 lbs in the 1st trimester.  When my 2nd followed the same pattern I tried to do what I could- ginger, B6, eating frequently.  My midwife recommended zofran but I didn't want to take anything, especially in the 1st trimester.  But as time went on, my life and my family's life suffered tremendously.  My husband was in grad school and we were both working full-time and had a two year old to deal with when we got home.  The nausea as so debilitating that I couldn't function when I got home and could barely get through the day at work- I teach at-risk preK.  I finally relented and took the zofran and began to feel so much better.  I could work, cook, clean, and take care of my daughter but the damage had already been done to my husband's job.  He lost it a month later because projects had fallen through the cracks.  It was just too much- work, school, and taking care of everything around the house and our family.  So this time I started the zofran when morning sickness started at 4mg twice a day.  Since I was still having nausea the midwife increased it to 8mg 3 times a day.  I feel better, although I do have to take miralax since zofran causes constipation.  I feel bad taking so much medicine, especially so early on but I have learned what I can handle.  Everyone is different.  This is just what worked for me.  Good luck!  I hope you get some relief soon :)

hola.gifLaura, married to DH-Steve, DD- Gabriella (12/07), DD- Carolina (6/10), babyboy.gif due 4/6/12.toddler.gifhomebirth.jpgcd.gif

#4 of 9 Old 08-21-2011, 05:51 PM

Mine was really bad too. As I mentioned in another thread, it was so bad that for 2 days, I couldn't keep much down, then for 1 day I couldn't even keep water down. I went to the doctor who prescribed Dilectin (I am in Canada. Its basically equal to half a unisom and vitamin b6 in the States). I was VERY hesitant to take anything, but I figured that dehydration was likely more risky than it, so I took it. Wow, I felt SO much better! I am taking 1 in the morning and one at lunch time now, but can take 2 at each time if needed. I am still hoping not to take it every day, but its absolutely necessary to function at work! I work with kids with special needs and the smells were unbearable.

#5 of 9 Old 08-21-2011, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

The constant nausea and food aversion have kicked in here too.  It was so hard to go grocery shopping yesterday because everything was turning my stomach.  I know that if I wait too long to eat it'll be even worse, but it's hard to eat when I feel that way.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#6 of 9 Old 08-21-2011, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

me too greensad.gif  DS is 19 months and does not understand why mommy doesn't feel good and needs to slow down.  Nursing hurts like crazy and I just feel so nauseated all the time.  With DS I threw up but felt some relief at some point in the day, with this one, no throwing up but never a moment of not feeling like I am going to.  I am meeting with a midwife to interview on thursday and hoping she can help some.  the unisom or zofran seem like helpful ideas, I am just not sure I am there yet and would like to try other things.  However, not sure how much more ginger I can eat/drink in a day.

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#7 of 9 Old 08-21-2011, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

I don't want to take a prescription med, although if I worked I would most definitely HAVE to just to get through the day.  I'm at the point where I can't cook, can't go to the grocery store, and can't eat one thing that's good for me.  I'm pretty much living off bread and crackers.  I got DH to stop on his way home from work to get me some b6, but they only had it in 100 mg and I read to take 25 mg at a time.  Ginger isn't helping me at all.  I have broken down in tears several times today.  I know this is just for a short period of time, but knowing I probably have at least another month of this is so depressing :(  

My DD is still nursing a lot, and it's anything but comfortable.  But she's so sweet, she'll give me a big kiss and say "feel better now, Mama?". Breaks my heart!

Mama to my 2 sweet baby chicks! DD1 is 3 and DD2 born April '12.
They make me joy.gif
#8 of 9 Old 08-22-2011, 11:59 AM

If ginger isn't your thing, try peppermint. With my last pregnancy, I was sick ALL THE TIME. I found it really helpful to smell essential oil of peppermint and it would usually sway my stomach to not empty its contents. :) I also just got some of those mints that you find at every graduation party. They seem to help a bit and they dissolve really fast. Other recommendations: lemon drops, chamomile tea and (believe it or not) tonic water. I personally like the H2O flavored water.

#9 of 9 Old 08-23-2011, 01:49 PM

I had terrible sickness with DD, I'm better this time around.  For thouse of you who could try ginger, I used to get raw ginger root and boil it, then add brown sugar till I could sip it like tea.  It helped...

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page