I don't think I'm eating enough - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2011, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This past couple days I have not been hungry at all. Or if I do feel hungry I don't know what I want and then when I finally fix something a couple bites in and it's just not what I want anymore. I don't feel sick much (I do get occasional waves but they are pretty light and don't last long) I just don't feel hungry! 

So what do I do? Force myself to eat? Or just take cues from my body and eat when I feel like it? 

Hillary (22) belly.gif Justin (25) stillheart.gif

We're expecting our first precious sprout in April 2012 joy.gif And planning a homebirth! homebirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 06:31 PM

I'm generally of the opinion that you should listen to your body. I had hyperemesis last pregnancy, and when that stopped I continued ot have no appetite. I made myself eat something, but not much. I still managed to grow a 10 pound baby on almost no food.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
Old 08-22-2011, 06:32 PM

If you're not horribly sick, then I would at least try to get something in you-- no matter what it is.  I've found that when nothing sounds good, I can usually stomach real lime popsicles or dry rice kripsies.  Neither has a ton of nutritional value, but I think keeping my stomach from getting totally empty really helps keep the nausea at bay.  And, really, it's better than nothing.  After a couple days of vomiting and not eating or drinking I almost passed out-- it's just not a good thing for the bod or the babe.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:30 PM

I felt that way the majority of my last pregnancy. The M/S subsided after at about 12 weeks, but then I just had no appetite. I'd get hungry, but nothing sounded good or even remotely edible. My DD has IUGR and was very small, my fluid was extremely low, and I put on very little weight - so I knew I needed to eat more, but I truly had to force myself. I walked away from the hospital after having her skinnier than I have ever been! It was nice being so thin after a pregnancy, but it probably wasn't the healthiest thing.

My anti-appetite has started in the past couple of days. I'm not nauseous yet, but nothing sounds good. I think it is important to force yourself to eat SOMETHING whenever you can - at least, for me it is, because I know there is a chance that its only going to get worse.

That being said, your body will always send nutrients to the baby first, which is slightly comforting. Also, be sure to at the very least, keep drinking to keep your fluid levels up. 

Old 08-22-2011, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I was like that my first four pregnancies.  Not yet thus far with this one (but still plenty of time).  I had a TERRIBLE time with textures (anything could suddenly make me stop eating -- even mid-way through chewing!), colors, smells, etc.  I ate less than I did when *not* pregnant.  I did end up losing some weight early on (but I'm a bit on the fluffier side) and only gained like 12 pounds overall... and still went on to birth 9+ pound babies that were active, alert and fine.

My personal take .... eat what you can, when you can.  If it's not making you sick (even if you don't want it), get something down.  Your body *does* need energy.... and keeping *some* food on your stomach can help keep nausea at bay.  But if you cannot stand the thought of ANY food, lay off for a bit.  Try again later.

If you find yourself getting dizzy, seeing stars, becoming completely lethargic, etc, then I'd probably call your care provider or find SOMETHING to get down and keep down.

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Old 08-22-2011, 08:07 PM

Oh textures! I remember spitting out mouthfuls when I was pregnant with #2. And everything tasted so bad, especially protein. It was like eating cardboard. Unfourtunaltly, I could stomach a cheese burger from McDonalds, so I fear I ate way to much of that. I remember doing a lot of "driveby" eating. I'd put out whatever it is I needed to eat and just take a bite every few minutes until it was done. It sucked.

OP, are you taking vitamins? I find that they give me a boost the next day and make it easier to eat (even though digesting the vitamins makes me feel a little nauseous shrug.gif.) I also have had luck with adding a little chlorophyll to juice.

My sister and I swear by Wendy's frosties to settle a pregnant stomach too.

This time around I am trying to make every bite count and paying attention to smaller portions, more frequently through out the day. It's hard to change my pre pregnancy habit of not eating until late afternoon.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:19 AM

I agree that you have to listen to your body, it tells you these things for a reason. While you don't want to let yourself go completely hungry you are better off eating small amounts and then quitting rather than eating large amount and getting sick. Just make sure it nutrient packed foods when you do eat.16 If you're not hungry, drink something nutritious. With my youngest I didn't have a single day in the pregnancy that I was hungry, and most days got sick at least 5 times. She came 3 weeks early and still weighed 11 pounds (without gd or anything). Your body will do what it needs to if you let it.

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

User Tag List