When will May be up? **Edited** Link to new May 2012 Group inside - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-05-2011, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Meredith - I keep looking at all the bellies on the April thread also!!  I want our own thread so I can stop stalking the April folks LOL!!

Tibris - Very sorry to hear your sad news. grouphug.gif

ME: 29 DH: 27 stillheart.gif Married for 3 years now.  Got my pos.gif August 31, 2011!  joy.gif Woohoo!!!

stork-boy.gif May 12, 2012 - Baby Deacon joined our family

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 06:13 PM

Welcome Ayla TG you found MDC! When I was pregnant with my DD I found MDC and I am so grateful! AP is def the way to go, forget those other sites! thumb.gif

I am doing the Rainbow Light food based prenatal, Fish oil caps(mercury free, DHA), and food based calcium so far.

DD still nursing like a maniac. Her frequency of nursing won't affect the baby right?

Other than that I have been having a touch of cramps here and there and some pressure...IDK if it's just intestinal though...no bleeding or anything.

I put the deposit down on my MW today!!!! Can not wait for a HB!!!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 09-05-2011, 09:35 PM

Tibris I'm sorry. 

Natalya  I would take 8 boys if I got em! :) They are loads of fun...very very active but loads of fun! Of course I'd take a girl this time too. In fact, the big boys have been praying for a baby sister...we'll see. 

I'm really excited for this little one. I had such a stellar birth last time (HBA3C) that I honestly can't wait to do it again. I've been having some lower back pain and a little cramping. You'd think I wouldn't freak out at every little twinge with my 5th baby, but right before baby #4 I had a m/c and I think once you've had one your view is always a bit tainted. 

My HBAC baby came the day after his EDD, so I'm pretty certain this kiddo will come smack in the middle of May which is okay. School will be over (I teach nursing at a local college...I work L&D) by then so I'll be able to be on leave during the summer. Yay!

I guess some of us will be moving over to the May group when it's up...but I thank you April girls for letting us crash your pad and have a place to post. 

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

Old 09-05-2011, 10:10 PM

I am also most likely due in May, but since I am so early it could be April or May.  I'll likely bounce between the two groups!  biggrinbounce.gif

Forest  treehugger.gifMushroom whale.gif

Old 09-06-2011, 05:23 AM

Happy to be joining you girls, just got my very faint BFP this morning. Due date is my late Grammie's birthday, May 13th.  I have MTHFR homozygous, and am batting 1 for 3 with successful pregnancies so nervous but happy wherever this journey leads us.  

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

Old 09-06-2011, 06:34 AM

Thank you all so much for the welcome, and congrats to you all too!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Beantownbaby9 - welcome! I hope all goes well for you.

I just watched The Business of Being Born, and found it really informative. It was only preachy in a few spots, and I was pleased that it didn't just constantly slam hospitals as a whole like Pregnant in America did. I was happy that it highlighted some great OB/GYNs who were supportive of their patients decisions, but there as a backup if things don't go as planned. I'm in NYC, where it was filmed, it's tempting to look up some of those MWs/doctors! But my regular OB has CNMs on staff, so I'll give her a chance first. :D

I still feel a hospital birth is right for us, but I'm no longer 100% sure I want to go with an epidural. I think we'll take it as things come. There are some hospitals near us that have birthing centers in them (one even has a huge tub for water births), which seems like the best of both worlds to me: birth on my terms, but if things go south I'm only a short gurney ride away from the surgeons. 

I've got my first appointment/sonogram on the 26th. It seems so far away! But I literally just saw my doctor a few weeks ago, before my BFP, so there's not much else she needs to do.

Mother to an adorable girl born May 2012, dealing with recurrent miscarriage.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:06 AM

KM - I am in the EXACT same boat as you!  I just watched that movie over the weekend and even though I felt completely sure beforehand that a hospital birth was for me, I started googling birthing centers and MWs during the movie...  It did raise some important questions and I was shocked that I actually started thinking about midwives.  A home birth is still NOT for me, which is why I looked up birthing centers with midwives.  It turns out the hospital I chose seems to be really good and the doctor I have is really awesome also, so I am sticking with that, but have now been thinking of no epidural, just like you!  I think I might try to do it with no drugs and then always have the option to change my mind if I can't handle it.   Seriously, I feel just like you!

I haven't seen the other movie yet, maybe in the next few days, though.

ME: 29 DH: 27 stillheart.gif Married for 3 years now.  Got my pos.gif August 31, 2011!  joy.gif Woohoo!!!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:25 AM

I am terrified of birthing in a hospital. With my first @ 28weeks I told my OB I wanted a drug free birth and she laughed at me and said "that's impossible in a hospital" I mean come on even if you don't get an epidural (which I hope you don't, you should research the side effects fully) they will def push pitocin on you which has been linked to a 50% increase in ADHD...IDK I have never seen a hospital that is pro intervention free birth/natural birth (b/c the more drugs/interventions the more $$, and b/c it is so routine they don't see the dangers) I think it's truly sad and I'm glad my OB laughed at me b/c I ran out of there and never looked back!

I drove 1 1/2 hours to get to the birth center, every appointment and yes during labor....(well DH drove during the labor) it was a PIA and I wish there was one closer but it was so WORTH it! My birth center was freestanding but associated to the hospital.

I think if you have a birth center you can utilize do it! I was too nervous to have my first at home but now I feel comfortable and excited to have my second. I completely understand the fear of "what if something goes wrong" but heck if you have a set up like that I would go for it. MWs are very skilled in birth and birthing OBs are very skilled in surgery (and thank God they are for when it's needed). 

BTW I loved that movie. I have never seen pregnant in America though. All first time moms I would recommend gong to LLL before the baby comes so you can get some BFing tips as well :)

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 09-06-2011, 09:48 AM

I've seen good outcomes in both hospital and home births and I have seen the ugly,  or heartbreaking side in both places of births. My opinion is as long as we are fully informed and comfortable with our decision - there is only so much we can do and the rest is truly out of our hands.

At some point we got to recognize we are making the best decision we can, choose what level of responsibility we would like to take, who we place our trust in, and just let the rest go.

So that's my opinion on Home/Birth Center/Hospital births.

Only wrong decision is the one you aren't comfortable with!

In other news, I think I found a HB midwife :) We do a consultation next week!

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

Old 09-06-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemoreontheway View Post

Only wrong decision is the one you aren't comfortable with!

EXACTLY.  You have to give birth where it feels best for YOU.  

Old 09-06-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Just my 2 cents, I think it is possible to have a hospital birth without interventions if it's with a midwife.  My last birth was amazing.  At a smallish hospital with a big tub in my room to labor in.  I utilized that and a birth ball they had there.  I didn't have any drugs/interventions until after dd was born and I started hemorraging a bit.  She had to give me a shot of pitocin and push on my uterus at that point.  Ouch!  I'll be going the same route this time.

Me + B + my 3 + his 3 = family of 8

Make it 9: DS born 5/7/12 biggrinbounce.gif

Old 09-06-2011, 11:42 AM

I am very surprised to find myself here. This is my third child and my first spontaneous conception. DD1 is adopted. DD2 required fertility treatment and Ta Da! I was so convinced this wouldn't happen I told someone just last week she could have my baby stuff. That's going to be a weird conversation. (Seriously, had there been dire medical or financial consequences I would have done something more.)

I'm 40 and feeling it this week. We've told no one yet. The kids don't know though my 5 year old was asking what we were talking about in the bathroom. My two year old is still nursing. She seems to still be getting milk. I was showing my older DD how the nipple is really a bunch of opening and managed to squirt her in the eye this past weekend. 

Despite my age I'm in the best shape of my life. When DD2 was 8 weeks old I started going to the Y and never stopped (which was a real change for this life long sitter.)

This biggest thing is that we are going to have to move. The plan had been to get the house ready through the winter and put it on the market in the spring, you know, right around when we are all due. That plan has been moved up a little. Our house has some perculiarities but it is in a good location. Still, all the work we'll have to do is stressing me out. DH and bought this house when we got married 15 years ago and planned on selling it after 5 years. We are bursting at the seams. 

Congrats to everyone!

Old 09-06-2011, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I had a pleasant med-free hospital birth with DS, although it was a lot of effort on DHs part to continuously fight the nurses. I think that's the important thing to keep in mind. You need to have a DH/doula ready to fight for you. You can have the most supportive OB in the world (and I did), but it's the nurses that handle your labor. It's absolutely possible, though. I'm SUPER excited about HB this kiddo. I'm ready for May purely so I can birth this child, lol

Old 09-06-2011, 01:13 PM

It really, really depends on the hospital and your birth team.  I've had 2 drug free births in the hospital, but this is in areas that are kind of progressive and have lots of natural birthing mamas.  So, not all hospitals are the same....

Old 09-06-2011, 02:12 PM

Welcome & congrats to the new people!

As for hospital vs HB ~ I was able to have a completely drug-free hospital birth with a midwife. But, the strict hospital rules drove me nuts & I feel that a homebirth is right for me this time. Onemoreontheway said it perfectly – the only wrong decision is one you aren’t comfortable with.

Ok ladies, it is Tuesday….where is our DDC? I’m feeling impatient biggrinbounce.gif

Old 09-06-2011, 02:19 PM

OK but I think we can agree it is more rare to find a hospital pushing for natural birth...or even "letting" you have one.

We are all on the same side here YK I am not trying to "start anything". I'm glad some of you found hospitals where that was possible, but I sure could not. Trust me it was not fun driving so far, but I needed to. Now *I* feel comfortable with a HB (notice I did not tell her to have one I said if she had a BC like that I would go for it).

I can't believe I feel like I am having to defend a non hospital birth on MDC right now...

Beyond that...I'm having cramping daily it seems and I'm kind of freaking out. I haven't had any spotting but do you guys think it's normal?

Old 09-06-2011, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithA View Post

Ok ladies, it is Tuesday….where is our DDC? I’m feeling impatient biggrinbounce.gif

I know, right?!

sosurreal09 - I've had cramping every day for a week now, but no spotting. It's settled into my "normal" set of pregnancy symptoms. Have you read the Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy? It's only $10 in ebook format, and I've found it really helpful. I appreciate it's non-alarmist tone and even keel. For each few weeks it has a set of symptoms you might experience, and when to call your doctor.

afm, I'm finally starting to relax about this pregnancy. Mostly because nothing "new" has come up in the past few days, just the same old cramps and slow guts. At 18DPO, AF is finally officially late.

I'm borrowing some of the hypnobabies CDs from a friend, we'll see how that goes. I generally have an awful time with meditation, I'm too scatterbrained and end up overthinking it, so I'm admittedly skeptical that this will be successful for me.

I'm not totally stuck on an unmedicated birth, I just want to make sure that all the decisions during birthing are just that - informed decisions by myself and my husband - rather than mandates in the interest of time/insurance/whatever. It's less important that I have an unmedicated birth than it is that the practitioner I'm working with, be they OB or midwife, has done and is comfortable with one, so I know they won't just shove drugs at me because it's all they know how to do. From what I've heard, the office I go to tends to be very friendly towards that sort of thing. One of the doctors said to another patient who brought it up, "of course, a natural childbirth is the goal of every pregnancy." The hospital they're affiliated with actually has one of the lowest rates of C-sections in the country. That's the one thing I KNOW I don't want. 

During prenatal care, they make sure you see each of the doctors in the practice so that if your preferred doctor is unavailable when you're in labor you're still seeing someone you know and trust. I'm pretty excited!

Mother to an adorable girl born May 2012, dealing with recurrent miscarriage.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

OK but I think we can agree it is more rare to find a hospital pushing for natural birth...or even "letting" you have one.

We are all on the same side here YK I am not trying to "start anything". I'm glad some of you found hospitals where that was possible, but I sure could not. Trust me it was not fun driving so far, but I needed to. Now *I* feel comfortable with a HB (notice I did not tell her to have one I said if she had a BC like that I would go for it).

I can't believe I feel like I am having to defend a non hospital birth on MDC right now...

Beyond that...I'm having cramping daily it seems and I'm kind of freaking out. I haven't had any spotting but do you guys think it's normal?

LOL - I felt the same way when I saw the coca cola advertisement running as a banner at the top of the forums. I don't think you have to defend a non hospital birth, and no of course you aren't trying to start anything! At least, I didn't think so or take it that way. Its just discussion which I love to have!

I've had all of my children at home and most of them were great experiences. Hence, I have no problem doing it again.

I've just seen the flip side and I understand that sometimes home isn't the best place, especially if some one isn't comfy with it.

The only hospitals around me I've heard horrid things about. I was contemplating just traveling the 130 miles to the birth center, but thankfully I found some one who will attend me out here.

I'm having cramps all the time. Totally normal for me, but still unnerving!

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

Old 09-06-2011, 05:04 PM

I am all for home births for those that want it, I just would never want to do that personally.  My home is full of cats and cat hair and is tiny.  I can't imagine giving birth to my first child in this place!  Plus, there is a genetic condition that runs in DH's family, so anything besides hospital is sort of out of the question for us.  But, my hospital is AWESOME and has always gotten great reviews, it's one of 2 in this area, the other one is horrible, I hear.  But the one I am going to has a really great program and my doctor, I have heard only great things about her as well.  I am more informed than I was so that is great, but I just can't imagine ever having my kid in my house, heck no.  It's kinda gross and sounds like a lot of cleanup LOL.  But the great thing about it is everyone gets to make their own choices, so to each his/her own! orngbiggrin.gif

WHERE IS OUR MAY GROUP!!!! greensad.gif

Old 09-06-2011, 05:13 PM

After today's lessons (we homeschool), I soooo have to clean this house. I have absolutely no energy though. My dishes haven't been washed in 3 days. I'm not really cooking much, so I suppose that is a bonus.

Today's diet: a cup of coffee, some smoked tuna, and a couple chocolate puddings. I am completely aware this is not even close to 'healthy' LOL

I've learned the hard way with M/S - if something sounds like you can choke it down, better get it down while you can.

Nothing sounds good and no matter how many times I wash my hands I can't get the smoked tuna smell off. Adventures in pregnancy :rofl:

Old 09-06-2011, 06:09 PM

I am feeling more and more pregnancy illness as well. guilty.gif I think it usually gets better if I eat a little something, but not today. I think I need to drink waaaaay more water! 

I hope all the April/May mamas are having a great day! 

Old 09-06-2011, 06:19 PM

Also, mamas, I really want to have a home birth this time.  I've really liked my hospital births, but have a lot of anxiety with having someone take care of all 4 of my kids while at the hospital.  Does anyone with many children want to discuss how to have a homebirth at home without scaring the kids? Actually, I should just start a new post for this topic! 

Old 09-06-2011, 06:34 PM

Haha, I ate some smoked trout the other day, and on the last bite all of a sudden I thought I was going to puke.gif!! Eww.  

Re home birth vs hospital birth-  I am a really opinionated home birth advocate.  I had a hospital birth for my first one, but we had been planning a home birth.  I was super late (about a month!) and then I had a slow amniotic fluid leak, and after days of not beginning labor my midwife got nervous.  SO, of course I had pitocin, though I did without an epidural.  There was a LOT of fighting with the doctors and nurses, they just do NOT trust the birth process, and are so over loaded with work they can't care for you and your experience.  I want my births to be a special experience, not a procedure, which is very much how it feels in a hospital.  

My next baby was a home birth, and actually a more complicated birth. DS had shoulder dystocia, but my midwife was very calm and trusted my body.  I pushed for 11 HOURS which would have been unheard of in the hospital, but everything turned out just fine, he was born healthy and I felt like I had control over what was going on, I had the ability to voice how my body felt and what I thought I needed.  PLUS I was respected, my opinion was valued.  SO , that's my two cents on HB.

onemoreontheway, i hear u about energy!  we started work at 6, got done at 1, and then i took a three hour nap!  I'm also having crazy pregnancy dreams...anyone else having those? 

Hi Masel and forestmushroom!

Dp, me dreads.gif  ds#1  goodvibes.gif, ds #2 jog.gif and ds#3 drool.gif

Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post

Haha, I ate some smoked trout the other day, and on the last bite all of a sudden I thought I was going to puke.gif!! Eww.  

Re home birth vs hospital birth-  I am a really opinionated home birth advocate.  I had a hospital birth for my first one, but we had been planning a home birth.  I was super late (about a month!) and then I had a slow amniotic fluid leak, and after days of not beginning labor my midwife got nervous.  SO, of course I had pitocin, though I did without an epidural.  There was a LOT of fighting with the doctors and nurses, they just do NOT trust the birth process, and are so over loaded with work they can't care for you and your experience.  I want my births to be a special experience, not a procedure, which is very much how it feels in a hospital.  

My next baby was a home birth, and actually a more complicated birth. DS had shoulder dystocia, but my midwife was very calm and trusted my body.  I pushed for 11 HOURS which would have been unheard of in the hospital, but everything turned out just fine, he was born healthy and I felt like I had control over what was going on, I had the ability to voice how my body felt and what I thought I needed.  PLUS I was respected, my opinion was valued.  SO , that's my two cents on HB.

onemoreontheway, i hear u about energy!  we started work at 6, got done at 1, and then i took a three hour nap!  I'm also having crazy pregnancy dreams...anyone else having those? 

Hi Masel and forestmushroom!

This!  My DD was born in a birth center attached to a hospital.  The room was nice, dim and quiet with nice furnishings.  But other than that it was just like any other hospital birth.  Nurses in and out, hooked up to machines, drugs were pushed on me (even though I said I didn't want any), my requests were questioned, I was on my back the entire time, I ended up with a Dr. I had met once, and they took DD to the nursery several times (even though I asked them not to, they basically bullied me into it saying her temp was low and she needed to be monitored).  That's certainly not the worst case scenario, but it's not what I wanted.  This time I'm going to do it the way I feel comfortable and safe...and that's at home.

On another note...does anyone else have this issue?  I eat like 1/2 of something and then it tastes gross and I don't want it anymore.  But I'm still hungry.  :|  I've wasted so much food over the last few days.  :(

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

Old 09-06-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleMa View Post

This!  My DD was born in a birth center attached to a hospital.  The room was nice, dim and quiet with nice furnishings.  But other than that it was just like any other hospital birth.  Nurses in and out, hooked up to machines, drugs were pushed on me (even though I said I didn't want any), my requests were questioned, I was on my back the entire time, I ended up with a Dr. I had met once, and they took DD to the nursery several times (even though I asked them not to, they basically bullied me into it saying her temp was low and she needed to be monitored).  That's certainly not the worst case scenario, but it's not what I wanted.  This time I'm going to do it the way I feel comfortable and safe...and that's at home.

On another note...does anyone else have this issue?  I eat like 1/2 of something and then it tastes gross and I don't want it anymore.  But I'm still hungry.  :|  I've wasted so much food over the last few days.  :(

I have! Wicked food aversions this week. I have to force myself to eat it seems (and eat quite a bit b/c of my half hourly nursing sessions over here!) UGH everything tastes so gross.

Those of you who said you were having a shake in the morning, what do you put in it? Protein powder or something?

Old 09-06-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:

I have! Wicked food aversions this week. I have to force myself to eat it seems (and eat quite a bit b/c of my half hourly nursing sessions over here!) UGH everything tastes so gross.

Those of you who said you were having a shake in the morning, what do you put in it? Protein powder or something?

oh, mama, I am still nuring my big toddler too.  That must be why I am *always* hungry... but nothing sounds good.  except for mustard and salt and vinegar chips. 

Hi Natalya !

Old 09-06-2011, 08:51 PM

Story of my life right now... and this is happening with some of my favorite foods, too! I finally got my hands on my favorite pizza ever and ate two slices really fast so that the food aversion wouldn't have a chance to take hold. Now I just feel so gross and like throwing up would be a relief. They weren't even big slices.

I've also been taking naps daily. I'm not one to ever take naps, but I really need them.

Also, I'm thirsty all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleMa View Post

I use pea protein powder. It's made from non-GMO green peas. I buy mine online (I've never seen it in stores). If you tolerate soy protein well, I've enjoyed Spirutein in the past - it tastes really good and you can find it at a health food store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

-maryam-

mother to a little silly goose boy (May 2012) + seven non-human kiddos + five who have passed on stillheart.gif

partner to a babywearing, dirt-digging, diaper-washing, hammer-wielding programmer since November 2003

Old 09-06-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:

I use a specific shake with a ton of nutrition and really good protein!  It's from Visalus, I actually promote this stuff for my job, so I won't go into it much more but that is what I use and I love it!!

I haven't had any food problems yet.  I am snacky a lot but that's pretty normal, so it's hard to tell if it's worse or not....

Old 09-06-2011, 11:18 PM

i dont have any issues with food yet, thank goodness. i did sort of lose it on my man earlier, then burned dinner, then ran to the bedroom crying and stayed in there for a good hour eyesroll.gif. luckily my man is amazing and had already bought me a chocolate bar just in case. after that and a back rub, i am feeling spoiled and content :)

i did feel quite dizzy and light headed this morning. im drinking a lot more water than usual, just feel thirsty all the time. 

called the midwife today, havent heard back. theres only one in my area (and i live on a ferry access only peninsula) so she better be good! i did catch an acquaintance coming out of the practice (it shares a wall with my work - talk about torture while youre baby crazy/ttc: pregnant ladies walking by the window all day!) and she had good things to say. 

MAY DDC, WHERE ARE YOU!!!??? 

Karla (25), loving having and growing a family: my amazing man, DS (2), DSD (7), a dog and two cats. Expecting my second  May 2nd and so excited to

User Tag List