Body positive support thread (Fat acceptance/HAES) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-23-2011, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Since we now have 2 threads about dieting, I figured the other side needs some presence on this board :)

I've been into intuitive eating and HAES (health at every size) for awhile, and attribute my excellent health and this so far easier pregnancy to this policy. And yes, I'm fat. Thank you PCOS.

Anyways, I'm 8 weeks pregnant and quite pleased that I'm well enough I've gained a bit of weight and girth. Yay healthy pregnancy!

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#2 of 5 Old 08-23-2011, 08:44 PM

This is my 3rd pregnancy as an overweight women. I don't really pay attention to the scale and have been fortunate that my midwife doesn't either, other than to see I'm going in the right direction.

1st baby, I tried to follow the Brewer diet (basically eat your rainbow plus adequate protein) so that I could be as healthy as I could be. DD was 10.3 lbs and i had only gained 12 lbs the whole time but I was HUGE! Pregnancy weight came of easily and I was actually in better shape 6 months post partem than I had been in years.

2nd pregnancy everything tasted horrible, the better it was for me the harder it was to get it down and keep it down. I drank soda and ate fast food. I felt like crap the whole time. I was close to pre-e the last month but forced the good food in and managed to not go down that road. No GD though. DS was 8.5 lbs and I gained 14 lbs and again was HUGE. We found out DS had Ds at birth and I ate a lot of cookies and other crap while dealing with my emotional pain. Not good. I've gained 20 lbs since then.

This time around I was already eating healthier. DH and I had already kicked are cola addiction (so very hard to do) and I was feeling the effects already with my energy level and general health. Since suspecting another pregnancy I have been eating a Brewer lite diet (I don't want to feel too full, that's when the nausea hits) and I can already feel like my body is responding the way it did with DD. My fat tummy feels less firm, but at the same time I already feel the bloat of early pregnancy. I swear what little waist I had is disappearing already.

I'm nervous how the local birth community is going to perceive me. Last time around we interviewed several and it sucked that so many assumed I was a case of GD waiting to happen. We ended up going with our out of state midwife that was with us for #1 because we were so disappointed in the local options.  I'm going to interview again, expanding to looking at birth centers this time because I feel an intuitive need to have local care with hospital connections just in case, even though I already have out out of state midwife lined up for the birth. I know that Florida laws have limits with obesity so again I'm nervous that no one will take me. I'm hoping that 2 successful home births of healthy babies will help. I fully expect to get dropped and referred out to an OB because of my weight when I decline to drink the GD test at 28 weeks. I would do a few finger prick type tests if there was reason to worry, just like I did with #2.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#3 of 5 Old 08-23-2011, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

That sucks that there are actual legal ramifications of "obesity" and pregnancy.

I'm what's called an "in-betweenie." Fit in the upper end of straight sizes, I'm only "obese" if you squint, but I have PCOS and am on 1500mg of metformin. This means that any conventional OB/CNM practice thinks I'm diabetic and treats me accordingly. I'm homebirthing with the midwife from last time, and she knows how I feel about weight and thus doesn't mention it to me at all, or GD. The fact that I'm already on metformin is a pretty good indication that I won't get it, and the fact that glucola sends me into pretty severe hypoglycemia. I gained ~30 pounds (didn't really weigh myself much), but lost it all by my 2 week post-op appointment (c-section due to spectacular malpresentation).

Through night sweats. I really don't recommend oozing out 20 pounds of water in 2 weeks. It sucks.

As much as I am glad that our culture is no longer treating pregnancy as this super fragile condition, it really frustrates me that there's all this pressure for pregnant women to be athletes. Yes, if you can run a 5k while pregnant, great! But thanks to symphysis pubis dysfunction I'm lucky if I can walk a block. And no, my pelvis isn't separating at 8 weeks (10 weeks last time) because my BMI is 30.2. Yes, people really did suggest that. Because any health issue is due solely to fat, dontcha know.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#4 of 5 Old 08-24-2011, 06:50 AM

Can I join you?  I wasn't overweight for my last pg, gained 40lbs, had a 8lb 12oz baby, and lost most of the weight quickly.  Now that I'm home with dd, in a cold climate, I find that I bake a lot and exercise relatively little (she's a very sensitive child, and I tried leaving her at the gym childcare a few times, but wasn't willing to force the issue when she was so obviously upset by it)  I've  yo-yo'd a bit, getting motivated in the spring time and losing 10 lbs or so, but fall and winter always bring me back in to my lovely kitchen-- where I, must say, I am very happy.

It was an eye-opening experience right before this pg, when I was referred to an RE due to my history of early mcs before having dd.  It was like she was DETEREMINED that I had all sorts of hormonal problems causing the mcs (despite my former dr finding and removing a polyp, and my subsequent successful pg with dd).  The woman was very nice, but just seemed baffled when all my bloodwork came back normal-- and even more so when I got pg on my own, on the first try (actually, we found out that I was actually pg when I was in her office, being told how screwed up I likely was!)

So here I am-- apparently fairly healthy, thank goodness, but starting off already looking several months pregnant.  I'm bloated enough that I can't suck it in anymore, and I actually broke down and bought a pair of under the belly mat capris yesterday, just so I can have something that's comfortable around the waist to get me through the next month or two (my shorts "fit", but aren't comfortable around the waist where I'm sensitive)    The several days that I was sick with ms before starting my unisom, I was horribly depressed and mean to my family, and I actually collapsed coming out of the shower one morning and almost passed out--- that was my wake-up call that, regardless of how much "extra" I might have, I really do need to continue to eat.  So now that I am able to eat again, I make a point of doing so-- even if the one thing that doesn't sounds revolting isn't the healthiest "choice"-- I don't really feel like it's a choice at all.  The most important things right now are that I keep myself healthy and that I stay nourished enough that I'm not a total bear to my family.  So I'm getting over it.  Can't wait until I can break out the mat wear full-time and just embrace it.

VanillaTea likes this.
#5 of 5 Old 08-24-2011, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Of course, everyone's welcome :)

The one thing I learned with my last pregnancy was the importance of calories. So many people seem to think that good nutrition is maximizing micronutrients while minimizing macronutrients. But when you're starving (as I pretty much was thanks to severe m/s) a cheeseburger and fries is an incredibly healthy meal. A good balance of protein, fat, and carbs, high in potassium and salt (good for replenishing electrolytes) and bonus points; it was about the only thing I could keep down.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page