What is the active ingredient in unisom? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-25-2011, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have seen some on here that are taking Unisom and B6 for morning sickness. I am not actually puking, but I am wondering if this will help me rest better and and feel less awful all day long.

I looked at unisom today and there were 2 kinds. One had diphenhydromine 50mg as the active ingredient. This is just Benadryl. Another (orange box) had a different active ingredient that I don't recall right now.

If you are taking Unisom, would you be so kind to look at your box and tell me what it says and how much you are taking so I know which one to get? Thanks so much!

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
#2 of 3 Old 08-25-2011, 05:26 PM

You want the one with doxylamine succinate.  Mine have 25mg per tab, and I take 1/2 a tab with 25 mg vit B6 about an hour before bed (I get sickest late evenings and mornings) and again about an hour before getting up for the day. 

I'm a bit slower going in the mornings, which might be tough if you have to be perky for work or something, but otherwise it allows me to feel well enough to eat some cereal, which feels like quite the luxury these days  :)  I still have very strong aversions and sensitivity to smells, and I still have days where I live on popcorn and white rice- but it is SO MUCH BETTER than it had been.  I've thought of adding a dose at noon to see if it would help me be able to actually eat a real lunch or dinner, but think I'm going to avoid it unless I start actually throwing up again.

Good luck-- I hope it helps you as quickly as it did me!!

#3 of 3 Old 08-26-2011, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

I bought some B6 yeasterday, and I have been splitting the tablets into quarters as they only had 100mg. I took 3 doses of that yesterday, and I feel pretty good this morning even though I stayed up too late last night. Like I said, I don't actually throw up, but I have been feeling so terrible that I am ready to do anything to feel even a little better. I had been drinking peppermint iced tea, but even the thought of that turns my stomach these days.  A friend works at a generic drug company, and she was going to try to get some Unisom for me today, though I didn't tell her why I needed it.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page