To do list: Finding practitioners (aka Research, research and more research!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-28-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I like to do stuff early. We researched and chose our midwives well before we conceived (and before we started TTC), and it was so nice to just know who to call that day I got my BFP (to reserve a spot). Now I'm on the hunt for more practitioners. I want to find:

- a pediatrician

- a daycare provider (preferably in-home, part-time)

- a childbirth educator 

- a doula (maybe, and hopefully same person as childbirth educator)

I am hoping my MW will have some recommendations, or else the other women she's caring for who've already had babies in the area. I'm really excited about the group prenatal sessions we will have. Some of the prenatal appointments are done community-style, so we can have a chance to talk with other moms, get recommendations, rent birth tubs from one another, etc. 

Anyone else have advice about the search for these practitioners?

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have no advice.

For me, the midwives in my city are all under one umbrella group so it was an easy choice there. My doctor will be my baby's doctor. I get a year of maternity leave and hope not to return to work after so no daycare.

My list is:

Find a childbirth educator

Get in touch with La Leche League and make connections in case I run into issues nursing

Decide if we want a doula and hire one

Find a birthing tub

Old 08-28-2011, 09:08 AM

Good for you for finding your midwife beforehand! I thought I was the only one preparing that far in advance. (Though I felt silly calling them when I wasn't pregnant so I didn't) 

Hillary (22) belly.gif Justin (25) stillheart.gif

We're expecting our first precious sprout in April 2012 joy.gif And planning a homebirth! homebirth.jpg

Old 08-28-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, at the info sessions we went around and everyone introduced themselves and their due date. I was the only one of three sessions of 10-15 women each without a due date. lol.gif:

Dealic, thanks for the reminder. I'm going to visit a LLL meeting to make contact and get to know the people I might call if the need arises.

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
Old 08-28-2011, 04:39 PM

If your LO is going to be in daycare, I definitely think its a good idea to find a care provider before s/he is born.  I got on the wait list for the place we wanted when I was 6 mos. pg with DD, and they didn't have an opening until she was 10 weeks old.  We did end up having to pay for three weeks after that to "hold our spot" until I returned to work, but it was worth it to send her where I wanted.

I think I only need to find/hire a doula.  Oh, and tell people I'm pg.  But it doesn't hurt to plan ahead!

Old 08-28-2011, 04:50 PM

Rosie, that's my plan. Meet people so if I need the support, I have a friendly (local!) person to call. Both my mom and mother in law are pro breastfeeding.  My mom nursed each of us for 18 months, unheard of at the time, and my mother in law nursed her youngest and encouraged my SIL to nurse HER son too (which I am proud to say, she did, as a young single mom returning to work when he was 6 weeks. She nursed exclusively for 6 months! She didn't stop then, but I don't know how much longer after that. I was very proud of her). But none of our families live close and I don't know when they will be visiting, so I want people I feel confident calling who I could actually meet and get help from. Somehow, nursing has always been the most important thing, the thing I look forward to the most with having a baby, and I really want to succeed at it.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealic View Post
Somehow, nursing has always been the most important thing, the thing I look forward to the most with having a baby, and I really want to succeed at it.

If my dreams are any indication, me too. I can't nurse in my dreams, and I keep reading stories of large-areola women having lots of trouble and pain (I have pancake like areolas). So I'm hoping to become as knowledgable and prepared as I can before baby's arrival!

Old 08-29-2011, 07:14 AM

One of the best pieces of advice I can give about breastfeeding is spend as much time as you can in the first week topless with a naked baby on your chest, relaxing in bed.  With lots of water and food being brought to you.  Perfect for healing, perfect for bonding, and the more relaxed you are the better luck you have with milk coming in and successful nursing.  OF COURSE, line up support options, and in my area there are lactation consultants who will come by and reassure, help with latch, offer suggestions once the baby is born.  So I would agree researching and lining up options is great, but getting stressed about it often makes any issues worse.  Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks for it to sort out, and that's okay too - often time and patience are the key:-)

For me, I'm starting to think of ways to make that first week or so as peaceful for me and the new baby as possible,  So, perhaps looking into a post-partum doula, proactively lining up a food train of sorts and hopefully lining up fun playdates for the kids most of the days so they're occupied and can release their energy with friends and family!!!!!!!  

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
Old 08-29-2011, 10:27 AM

I have dreamed of nursing babies for years, and my big concern is my size. I am an H cup to start with, and I just imagine this newborn head dwarfed by my monster boobs lol.gif

Old 08-29-2011, 03:37 PM

dealic, they'll be bigger than the baby's head, but you can do it!

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

Old 08-29-2011, 04:01 PM

Thanks, Loudmama. I am sure I can too. *I think I can, I think I can* My mom wasn't exactly small chested either and she managed just fine.

User Tag List