how to deal with ms??? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 09-18-2011, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ats925 View Post

Is anyone still absolutely miserable with m/s?

Unless I have to be somewhere I'm on the couch, half-asleep or half-in-tears, underweight, not able to eat, and nauseous 24/7.  My house is a mess, laundry unfolded, not doing anything fun with the kids, not an attentive wife, can hardly prepare basic meals, and extremely bummed out.  I was running 3 miles at 4 weeks and now I can hardly walk my kids to school a few blocks away.  Since I've done this twice before I know I will feel this way until week 17, and I'm only at week 10.  7 more weeks of this is overwhelming.  There's nothing to excite me about being pregnant right now because I'm not showing, the first ultrasound excitement wore off, there are the looming uncertainties (screenings; I'll be 38 when baby is born, etc.).

Is anyone else still struggling as much as ever or is everyone feeling better by now?  I don't know how I will do this 7 more weeks.  I want to feel excited, happy, and be functional again. 

I'm sorry you're still feeling so crummy!  I hit 12 weeks tomorrow, and am weaning myself off the unisom/B6 (can definitely feel the nausea and have teh gag reflex, but am able to not throw up-- down to only taking 1/2 dose before bed and none throughout the day).  I remember how sick I was at 7 weeks, before I started the meds and was throwing up all the time, and I was so horrily depressed at the thought of going another month+ feeling like that--- i can't imagine doing it without meds and for an EXTRA month on top of it.  My fingers are crossed for you that it either magically dissipates on its own earlier than you expect, or that you can find something you feel safe about to bring you some relief.  It really has to be one of the worst feelings there is, perhaps even more so because we're "supposed" to be happy throughout it.  Good luck, mama.

ats925 likes this.
#32 of 38 Old 09-20-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChick View Post

I wasn't like this at all with DD, so everyone is saying it's a boy. I was wounding if any of you have found this to be true with your pregnancies? Different sex of the baby makes you feel different?

Not from personal experience but speaking anecdotally from friends--it's probably just pregnancy-specific, not sex-specific.  I know SO many people who had a different experience with #2 or #3 (much worse MS or much better MS) and still ended up having the same sex baby as their previous baby/babies.  I've always heard that MS is worse with girls than boys so, go figure ;-)

My best friend has hoped for a girl since her 1st pg, after 2 boys she was DETERMINED she was having a girl this time (#3) because she had hyperemesis for the first time after having little to no MS with her previous 2...nope, she's having another boy!

Hope everyone starts feeling better soon...I'm feeling worse than ever here at 12 weeks but I got off schedule with my acupuncture, which seemed to be helping.  Still, MS was WAY worse with DD so I hate to complain.  I also have thought my liver could have been the root of my severe MS with DD so I've been working from that angle since before this pg.  I'm taking 100 mg B6 every morning with some food and not taking much else.  The prenatals, even gentle ones I could tolerate previously, are making me insanely sick.  My MW doesn't seem to mind me not taking them and I try to take folate separately when I don't puke it up.  So I'm off the prenatals until this clears up a bit, hopefully soon!

Unschooling mama alongside DH (05/01) to DD (5/05).  Expecting #2 spring 2012!

#33 of 38 Old 09-21-2011, 05:47 AM

9 wk 2 days and it has been hitting hard this week. Tried the unisom/b-6 combo and just kind of got a headache in addition to feeling sick. Trying to eat as much protein as possible but holy smokes, all I want to eat are cheese fries.

Oh, also: I'm a diner waitress. You know what sucks when you're in the throes of m/s? Being CONSTANTLY surrounded by the smell of cooking eggs. I can't even look at the food I'm taking out.

step-mama to R(4) and mama to my little man H (arrived 4/2012)

#34 of 38 Old 09-21-2011, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was feeling better around 9.5 weeks then it kind of went downhill from there, 11 +1 today and I threw up last night and have the all day nausea again.  All I want is meat. I have a pot roast in the crock pot right now but by the time I get to dinner, I am gagging and can't figure out what to eat.  I think I honestly have to eat every 2 hrs or less but I am having a hard time finding anything that sounds semi ok to eat.  Anyone else unintentionally lost weight?  I thought I was doing a good job getting food in but at the chiro I weighed myself and I have lost at least 5lbs.  It makes me sad and nervous.  I gained over 45lbs with DS and really needed all of it for nursing.  I am now at the lowest weight I have been since high school.  Any extra calorie tricks for a nauseated mama?

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#35 of 38 Old 09-21-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorfull1 View Post

I was feeling better around 9.5 weeks then it kind of went downhill from there, 11 +1 today and I threw up last night and have the all day nausea again.  All I want is meat. I have a pot roast in the crock pot right now but by the time I get to dinner, I am gagging and can't figure out what to eat.  I think I honestly have to eat every 2 hrs or less but I am having a hard time finding anything that sounds semi ok to eat.  Anyone else unintentionally lost weight?  I thought I was doing a good job getting food in but at the chiro I weighed myself and I have lost at least 5lbs.  It makes me sad and nervous.  I gained over 45lbs with DS and really needed all of it for nursing.  I am now at the lowest weight I have been since high school.  Any extra calorie tricks for a nauseated mama?

I had a roast in the crockpot on a day last week that I was gone and DH was home with the kiddos. By the time that I left the house the smell already made me gag. If I would have stayed home I would have put the crockpot outside. Can you do that?

As for the weight. I've lost a couple of pounds as well. I'm suprised but at the same time I'm pleased. I've never had milk supply issues though so I can understand your worry. Right now I would suggest just doing the best that you can. Your morning sickness should get better and then you can eat more healthy fats that will appeal to you. Lets face it, most of us detest this time during pregnancy. I know that I do. The only thing that we can do is cope. Know that you are not alone!

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#36 of 38 Old 09-21-2011, 12:13 PM

flavorful1, I lost quite a bit of weight (more than 10 lbs) with DD in the first trimester but gained it all back plus about 25 lbs additional (which is really all they count--where you go from baseline) but I was a small bit overweight to begin with, so I didn't have to worry about being underweight or anything.  But I was puking WAY more then.

I'm puking about every other day (at least) now and even before that started, with just not being able to eat, lost 5 lbs really early, gained most of that back, lost most of it again, and gained some of that back.  I think I'm losing again but not too worried.  

I know it's hard (I can't stand eating or the constant 'what to eat' thoughts) but I'd focus more on nutrition than straight calories.  I mean, you can gain a lot of weight by eating lots of sweets but that's probably not the best option for you or babe.

If you can, try and get in high calorie foods that have a high nutrition profile--that way you won't have to eat as much and they should satiate you more.  I made a custard with coconut milk that's staying down pretty well.  Avocados, nuts or nut butter with apple slices, cheese.  Even though I normally love popcorn, it hasn't sounded real good but someone on this list mentioned coating it with butter (I do ghee because I can't have casein) and then sprinkling nutritional yeast on top...was just trying to figure out what to eat and even though it sounded terrible in theory, I made that popcorn and am enjoying it.  Perhaps a smoothie?

I'm heading back to acupuncture tomorrow--that's the only thing that's changed (missed 2 weeks) since my downward spiral so I'm hopeful it will help pull me out of the slump again.

Unschooling mama alongside DH (05/01) to DD (5/05).  Expecting #2 spring 2012!

#37 of 38 Old 09-22-2011, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for the reassurance ladies. I have decided to just eat what I can and let my body do what it does to grow this baby.  My concern is that I was underweight to start with but I really can't eat any more food in the day and the weight loss seems to have leveled in the past week.  I don't want junk food, the biggest challenge is just finding something I do want to eat.  The pot roast ended up being great and I didn't feel like puking when I went to bed which was a new experience.  Today, the roast is now a stew and it has helped tonight.  Today sucked.  I have just had a bad attitude and felt like crap.  I can't wait to feel good and to just go play outside with DS!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#38 of 38 Old 09-22-2011, 06:15 PM

Handfuls of nuts are also good. I've been eating raw almonds whenever I'm feeling a bit hungry. I keep something in my purse at all times. I definitely feel your "i don't want to eat anything" pain. I'm in the same boat. The only thing I've really been able to eat the past 4 days are bean, cheese and rice "burritos" in a brown rice wrap. I figure I'm getting protein and fat and it should keep me feeling full for a while. Otherwise I'm totally avoiding cooked veggies (which I normally love) and focusing more on fruit. I'm really struggling with all forms of meat, so I'm envious that you are able to eat it!

I can't wait for these next couple of weeks to pass! I want my appetite back!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page