how to deal with ms??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 08-29-2011, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, with DS I didn't have it at all, and this pregnancy I seem to be constantly feeling sick...No vomiting yet, just dry heaving.  So how do you deal?  I am at home with DS 3 years, 5 days a week and at work for 2 days, neither circumstance is good for being nauseous.  Does anyone have any suggestions on foods or supplements that actually work- I have tried B vit. and ginger with little success.  On top of the nausea, when I do feel slightly better I have been having loose stools.  Not cool.  Today has been especially bad, barely got out of bed and can't think of much of anything that sounds good to eat, I am about 8 1/2 weeks along.  Help!

Happy Wifey to DH tiphat.gifand loving Momma to DS1 superhero.gif 4yrs and DS2  babyboy.gif 6 months

#2 of 38 Old 08-29-2011, 04:07 PM

I feel like a walking commercial, but I have to say that unisom and B6 together have really made a HUGE difference for me (even though over the last week my nausea has progressed so that I can still "feel" it through the meds).  The max dose recommended by the Mayo Clinic is 1 unisom and 25 mg b6 before bed, then 1/2 a unisom and 25 mg b6 first thing upon waking and again at midday.  I started out with just 1/2 dose at night and in the morning, and have just upped it to the max today.  I was really hesitant to take anything the whole time I was pregnant with my dd, but with this pg I was throwing up all night and all morning and only feeling remotely human for a couple of hours in the afternoon, unable to eat or drink much at all.  This has allowed me to be functional, and to get some food and drink into my body-- for both of which I am INSANELY grateful.  Good luck to you-- I'm just hitting 9 weeks myself and hoping that we're near the worst of it!

#3 of 38 Old 08-29-2011, 04:21 PM

I have a prescription for the Canadian version of the same thing, and I agree completely. Its the only reason I function at all lately.

#4 of 38 Old 08-29-2011, 06:05 PM

I have been trying zofran with success, although it seems to give me heartburn. I don't like taking pills, so I started trying acupuncture today. I won't know if it is working until tomorrow, but I did start feeling ravenous during my treatment! Some clinics can be expensive, but I have found that community acupuncture clinics often having a sliding fee scale of $15-$35. I hope you find something that helps!

Mother to one Little Flower Childdust.gif 3/08 and one little squirmy boy babyf.gif 4/12 homebirth.jpg, Wife to fuzmalesling.gif,I am a Vegan Pagan. We familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif mdcblog5.gif!

#5 of 38 Old 08-29-2011, 06:27 PM

I recently read that 1 tsp. of apple cider vinegar in 8 oz. of water sipped all day can help. It worked for me last night but not today. It might work for you.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#6 of 38 Old 08-30-2011, 07:17 AM

Last pregnancy I had hyperemesis and tried zofran, but it did nothing to touch it (getting sick multiple times a day for months).16 Finally got it under control by having DH make really strong homemade ginger ale.16 It was the only thing that helped.

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

#7 of 38 Old 08-30-2011, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I tried the apple cider vinegar thing and that worked and then really didn't bc it made my heart burn worse. I have started just eating some crystalized ginger only a couple of times a day. If I eat too much it seems to mess w DS who is still nursing.  I can't even seem to drink water without feeling sick, so I have started drinking water with some salt and lemon juice in it...like gatorade but not sweet.  I have also started eating oatmeal at night before bed and that seems to help some with over night and in the early am.  I am curious to see what people have done non med wise as well.  

Oh, and I have the loose stools as well, seems like a never ending battle to keep food in me!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#8 of 38 Old 08-30-2011, 07:41 AM

My morning sickness kicked in a couple of days ago and the only thing that has been good this morning is fresh watermelon juice. Try it out! Just cut up some watermelon and puree in your blender. You'll get plenty of vitamins and you'll be well hydrated!

#9 of 38 Old 08-30-2011, 08:05 AM

I just thought of this but can loose stools be a sign that our bodies aren't absorbing enough nutrition from the foods that we eat?

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#10 of 38 Old 08-30-2011, 10:34 AM

Here are some of the things that have worked for me in the past:

Salt and Vinegar Potato Chips

B6

Ginger

Sucking on Lemon Wedges

Pickle juice

Accupressure

Eating protein nonstop - a few bites of meat or cheese every hour

Basically, I tried all kinds of things.  They might work one week and not the next, but they all worked at different times.

My favorite way to get B6 and settle a stomach is to make popcorn (not microwave), drizzle with melted butter, sprinkle on 3+ tablespoons of Lewis Labs Brewer's Yeast and a dash of salt and chow down.  That is what I will have for dinner some times.  Lewis Labs is the best tasting brand in my opinion.  Between the popcorn, butter and yeast, you get your fat, protein and carbs with a hefty dose of B vitamins.

My family = Me + DH plus new babe 5/12 make 3 buddamomimg1.png

#11 of 38 Old 08-30-2011, 10:39 AM

Have you tried essential oils??  I know a lot of people that EOs have been a lifesaver for for pregnancy.  There are a lot of different ones to try that work for different people.  My personal fav for ms is peppermint.  It also helps me with headaches.  That combined with eating a small amount of protein often and getting good vitamins and minerals (sipping red raspberry leaf tea helps too!).

Good luck!!  I took zofran w/ my 2nd because of the morning sickness, but do not want to take it this time.

#12 of 38 Old 08-30-2011, 12:05 PM

I've heard that motion sickness bands can work really well.  You can find them at drug stores and Target.  Oh, also drinking Lemonade.  I know that sounds weird, but it works for me.  It has something to do with the acidity.  I need to get some more here soon, I get queasy come evenings.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#13 of 38 Old 08-30-2011, 12:42 PM

For me the loose stools seems to be a response to hormones.  Same thing happened when I went into labor smile.gif  The body does pretty amazingly well to absorb nutrients we can get into it and if you were healthy to begin with, probably ok. I think the problems start when you really can't get anything in or hold anything down.

Just wanted to comment that I wasn't saying earlier that I didn't think people should take medicine, I think it is totally appropriate, I am just not the place of needing it yet but I do need relief!  Also, I am nursing and that throws another thing to consider in with meds.

I forgot about the sea bands!  I started wearing them this week and I seem to get some relief from them.  Then again, I did throw up for the first time this pg yesterday.  Oh and the salt and vinegar potato chips taste so good!  I also second the basically eating every hour or less.  For some reason I just can't seem to make myself do it this time greensad.gif  but I am slowly getting a tuna sandwich down right now and that should be the accomplishment of the week!!!

The number one way to combat ms for me, but not really possible a lot of days...take a nap on a full stomach!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#14 of 38 Old 08-30-2011, 05:01 PM

This sounds heavenly, if it could only be arranged!  :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorfull1 View Post

The number one way to combat ms for me, but not really possible a lot of days...take a nap on a full stomach!

This morning I felt the best I have in ages, and I'm attributing it to having started the day with a bowl of Lavish dark chocolate oatmeal with flaxseed-- I had been hesitant to try anything so heavy, but I think getting some real substance in my tummy helped.  It's such a pickle (mmm... pickles) that eating real food makes me feel the best, when it is SO hard to do (and when I do, I feel like my stomach only has room for about half of what I would normally eat) 

#15 of 38 Old 08-31-2011, 08:17 AM

#16 of 38 Old 08-31-2011, 08:40 AM

I'm totally trying the beans thing out (http://www.karenhurd.com/concern_morning_sickness.html). Thanks so much!! I'll let you know if it helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post

morning sickness starts in the liver

read this thread~ www.mothering.com/community/t/618836/preventing-reducing-morning-sickness-and-hyperemsis-gravidarum-herbs-more/100_100#post_16632299

good luck mamas. smile.gif

#17 of 38 Old 08-31-2011, 10:20 AM

About the beans, if I make bean burritoes and add a little sourcream for flavor will that work? I can't just sit and eat beans. I never have and it just doesn't sound good.

#18 of 38 Old 08-31-2011, 10:26 AM

I'm sure it doesn't matter if you eat the beans by themselves or with other food. Heck, you could even make muffins with beans! :)

#19 of 38 Old 08-31-2011, 10:45 AM

the fiber in the beans is meant to bind with the excess bile

i would rather support my liver so that it is better able to deal with the hormones of pregnancy. Ie prevent the bile problem in the first place. I have zero desire to have to eat beans all day long lol i've found my diet approach to be extremely effective but if that were to fail i would be supporting my liver as in the first post of the thread i linked to.

Good luck mamas and ~be well~he fiber in the beans is meant to bind with the excess bile

i would rather support my liver so that it is better able to deal with the hormones of pregnancy. Ie prevent the bile problem in the first place. I have zero desire to have to eat beans all day long lol i've found my diet approach to be extremely effective but if that were to fail i would be supporting my liver as in the first post of the thread i linked to.

Good luck mamas and ~be well~

heartbeat.gif

#20 of 38 Old 08-31-2011, 03:07 PM

I got some sea sick bands today and they make a huge difference!!!  I generally start to feel sick the the afternoon, this time though with them on it's either gone or at a minimum!

Oh, also I heard morning sickness is due to the fact that the placenta is taking the acidity from the body therefore causing the mom to feel sick.  That's why drinking lemon juice or something high in acidity helps.  I know lemon juice helps some, but not as much as sea sick bands.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#21 of 38 Old 08-31-2011, 09:14 PM

I've had terrible morning sickness with my last two pregnancies. With my DD (#1), I was literally sick from about week 4 until the very end of my pregnancy, with only about 3 - 4 weeks of a break right in the middle. 

This time, I asked my midwife what she suggested, and she said PROTEIN! Lots and lots of protein. Which is good, because that is what I am craving right now anyway!

Swell Doula Service

Birth - Postpartum - Placenta Encapsulation 

nocirc.gif  winner.jpg  slinggirl.gif

#22 of 38 Old 09-03-2011, 04:59 PM

I'm on zofran. It worked for two days and then boom... sick again. I threw up with my son all day everyday until 4 months, then I would just get sick in the AM's until I delivered. I didn't get zofran then, but I can tell it makes a difference. I just wish it was still working like it did those first two days. I'm so bummed that it stopped working. I'm about to write myself an order for IV's with zofran because nothing sounds good to eat, because everything I eat I end up throwing up later. So it's kind of like "I don't think that sandwich would be very good coming back up". Either way, I'm at least keeping fluids down. I'm about to try that watermelon thing though. Sounds really good.

caffix.gif wife to DH kewl.gif and mama to Kaden notes2.gif 1/1/06 and Jagger babyboy.gif 4/21/12

belly.gifdue 9/4/13

#23 of 38 Old 09-05-2011, 05:51 PM

Enjoy reading all the great tips and ideas! My MS started last Sunday at 7w2d.  I've had it most days and pretty much all day long.  It's wierd though  because it can be super bad and then randomly I won't have it for a few hours.  Its crazy!  I've tried most the things that have been mentioned-- different things do seem to work different days so it's good to have a variety of tricks on hand I think.  Here's what I've tried and what I've been told:

Reframe MS as hunger pains

Oranges, apples, grapes

Trail mix-- nuts and dried fruit

Protein-- cheese, milk, peanut butter, meat-- especially at bedtime

B vitamins

Grapefruit juice

Olives, pickles, saur kraut

Ginger remedy

Positive thoughts about the baby

Fresh air, exercise

Lemonade, citrus

Fluid replacement

Those are things I've tried or have heard other women say are helpful.  Good luck everyone!

Me = Healer, yogini, lactivist, step-mom, and wife to my dream come true joy.gif So grateful-- baby #1 April 2012

#24 of 38 Old 09-08-2011, 09:33 AM

I'm also trying the beans.. just finished my second 1/4 cup portion of straight pinto beans.  

Has it worked for anyone who has tried it here?!?!

I'm 9 weeks, have been miserble since week 6 (my m/s lasted until week 17 in both my previous pregnancies, so I've got a long way to go and am feeling pretty desperate).  Reglan didn't help on pregnancy #2 so I've lost faith in medication and really don't want to go that route. B6 hasn't worked, fruit and crackers or ginger items don't work.  I'm nauseous and exhausted all day/all night (luckily no vomiting) and have no appetite for any food. Not one item of food appeals to me, even crackers turn my stomach just thinking about them.  For once I'd like to feel functional in the first 4 months --for my family's sake as much as my own.

I'm really, really hoping to have a success story this time. Can anyone update us on the success of beans?

#25 of 38 Old 09-08-2011, 10:18 AM

Beans have helped with me!  Here are the foods that have helped me and I honestly gag while I make them but end up ok about halfway through eating them.  I literally have to cheer myself on to finish food lol.

-lentil soup with a piece of toast- the only thing I can eat at my worst

-cottage cheese and frozen raspberries- seriously thought I was crazy trying this but it worked

-egg salad sandwich- usually get only a half in

-mediterranean sub- olive tempenade, butter beans, cucumbers and feta

-plain bagel toasted with cream cheese

-granola with plain coconut milk yogurt- pretty much only if I am feeling really good

-naked protein smoothies

-veggie noodles with black beans, sliced cherry tomatoes, salmon, and capers- if I feel like making it

-tuna sandwich

With my pg with DS, I had to drink a whole glass of whole milk before bed and that was the only thing that made the mornings ok enough to eat a breakfast.  I haven't tried it this time.  Hope we all feel better really soon, this past weekend was awful but the past two days have been functional, minor public gagging and no throwing up!

#26 of 38 Old 09-08-2011, 11:25 AM

I haven't done the beans since the first time I tried them. I can't say that they really did much for me. I'm starting to think, though, that my 24-hour sickness was due to my prenatal vitamins. Right when my ms kicked in, I switched to prescription prenatals. I've switched back to my regular Rainbow Light vitamins and I still feel nauseous, but not 24 hours! I think the vitamins were really messing with me and I couldn't find an ingredient list anywhere! So, I have no idea what the culprit was, but I'm not going back to those things...even though they were free. 

I have been able to force myself to eat and I generally feel better afterwards. Chicken sandwiches with avocados and tuna melts with cashews are a great way to push the protein for me. I'm just avoiding onions like the plague. I generally love onions, but right now they make me want to die whenever I smell them (cooked). I hope that passes soon!

#27 of 38 Old 09-08-2011, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

i was so sick with my first 2 pregnancies, and it has been minimal this time at 7 weeks. the only think i have changed is i stopped taking my prenatal. i take it every 3rd day or so if i eat a big lunch (on a very full stomach)  iv been taking the childrens vitamins (3 instead of 2) and iv been awsome!  i eat super healthy and know that im getting the vit i need through my food and childrens sup. 

good luck ladies~!

DS-8/06 peace.gif
DD-5/08 innocent.gif
DD-4/12 loveeyes.gif
Due: July2014 shy.gif
semi crunchy, but getting crispier!

*** heartbeat.gif 5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40
#28 of 38 Old 09-08-2011, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

I originally posted this at my worst and here I am at 10 weeks and I am feeling much better.  I am not sure if it is because of diet or just where I am in my pregnancy, but when I was still feeling pretty sick for some reason all I could think to eat was bananas.  They are still my go to food, no prep work.  I think my ms would hit so fast that I didn't have time to think about what to make so I would just eat one without stopping to analyze if I felt sick because of hunger or ms, and it usually helped.  Bananas also have B6 in them, so maybe that also helped.  I have been eating lots protein and less carbs. and that has worked much better for me too.  I do suggest having healthy snack type food on hand that you can just grab and eat right away, other food suggestions I have are pre-made protein shakes, or little protein snacks from a coop or health food store (I found some yummy carob ones in the bulk section) or hard boiled eggs that are made ahead of time.  I think part of the problem for me was that I would wait to long to eat and then nothing sounded good and I wouldn't feel like making anything and that was when ms was the worst.  I still get a little sick when I get moving too fast and I usually have to still pop ginger chews and put on my sea bands, but overall I am doing much better- I hope things start to look up for everyone else as well.  One last thing is that I think that I may be lactose intolerant, and this pregnancy has really made those symptoms worse, so when I totally eliminated dairy, my stomach felt much better and my loose BM's went away, although the bananas probably helped with that as well.

Happy Wifey to DH tiphat.gifand loving Momma to DS1 superhero.gif 4yrs and DS2  babyboy.gif 6 months

#29 of 38 Old 09-08-2011, 08:11 PM

I'm hoping the bed-ridden worst is behind me, but I still feel pretty crappy most days. I have the same problem as PP of letting myself get too hungry bc nothing sounds good. That + the most I've exerted myself have gotten me feeling terrible today.

I wasn't like this at all with DD, so everyone is saying it's a boy. I was wounding if any of you have found this to be true with your pregnancies? Different sex of the baby makes you feel different?

Mama to my 2 sweet baby chicks! DD1 is 3 and DD2 born April '12.
They make me joy.gif
#30 of 38 Old 09-17-2011, 01:28 PM

Is anyone still absolutely miserable with m/s?

Unless I have to be somewhere I'm on the couch, half-asleep or half-in-tears, underweight, not able to eat, and nauseous 24/7.  My house is a mess, laundry unfolded, not doing anything fun with the kids, not an attentive wife, can hardly prepare basic meals, and extremely bummed out.  I was running 3 miles at 4 weeks and now I can hardly walk my kids to school a few blocks away.  Since I've done this twice before I know I will feel this way until week 17, and I'm only at week 10.  7 more weeks of this is overwhelming.  There's nothing to excite me about being pregnant right now because I'm not showing, the first ultrasound excitement wore off, there are the looming uncertainties (screenings; I'll be 38 when baby is born, etc.).

Is anyone else still struggling as much as ever or is everyone feeling better by now?  I don't know how I will do this 7 more weeks.  I want to feel excited, happy, and be functional again. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page