"If one more person tells me..." game - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-04-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, frustration with a neighbor (she's really sweet, kind, and adorable, but you know hormones) has led me to create a new game. I thought it would be fun to see people's responses. So you finish the sentence "If one more person tells me..." with whatever annoying thing people are saying about your pregnancy, and then what your response will be.

For me, If one more person tells me "You are pregnant, you have to eat VERY healthy all the time", I will sit down and eat a whole gallon of cookies and cream ice cream! Not the most mature response, I'm sure, but geesh I've done this 4 other times...I think I know what I'm doing by now LOL

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

#2 of 25 Old 09-04-2011, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

if one more person tells me "are you getting morning sickness yet?" ill throw up right then and there. 

p.s.zuzu- why do all your posts have a random "16" in them/all over them???

DS-8/06 peace.gif
DD-5/08 innocent.gif
DD-4/12 loveeyes.gif
Due: July2014 shy.gif
semi crunchy, but getting crispier!

*** heartbeat.gif 5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40
#3 of 25 Old 09-04-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

That's (from what I can gather) due to the fact that I use Firefox (as opposed to say Internet Explorer) and have some wonky plug-in off/on/something. It happens anytime I put more than one space between sentences or anytime there is a break between paragraphs...it's VERY annoying :)

#4 of 25 Old 09-04-2011, 03:57 PM

If one more person tells me "boy you have your hands full, you sure you can handle a third?" I'm going to punch them in the face just to show them how free my hands really are! I've had a rough day.... Don't judge me. wink1.gif
miss_honeyb and PsycheGal like this.
#5 of 25 Old 09-04-2011, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackies Ladybug View Post

If one more person tells me "boy you have your hands full, you sure you can handle a third?" I'm going to punch them in the face just to show them how free my hands really are! I've had a rough day.... Don't judge me. wink1.gif

I hear ya!  Last person that said "oh, you brought the whole crew out today!" I looked at him with a straight face and said "no, the twins are at home with my teenager". 

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#6 of 25 Old 09-04-2011, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Jackies, I don't judge, I only laugh sympathetically and understand ;)

#7 of 25 Old 09-04-2011, 06:14 PM

For me, this pregnancy was NOT planned.  I have very mixed emotions and have a hard time telling people.  Well, now at 9 weeks I look like I'm 4 months along and people have started asking me when the baby is due.  When I tell them that it was a surprise and that I just went back to work from maternity leave, I sometimes get the response "Oh, well" and then something like, "It's a good thing."  I know I'm being too sensitive and I probably shouldn't share so much.  It would be better to work through my emotions in other ways than through announcing my pregnancy.  But the thing is, to me, "oh, well" is something you say when you miss a movie or a sweater is sold out in your size.  Having a baby is a big deal, a life altering event.  Don't get me wrong, I will love this baby and at some point will work through these emotions.  But right now I'm just dealing with getting by- working 9 hr days to set up a classroom, a long commute, all day/night morning sickness, daycare & preschool, buying/selling a car, nursing, hosting/participating in my brother-in-law's wedding, and saving $ to pay for car & furnace. At this point, "oh, well" just rubs me the wrong way.  So if one more person says to me "Oh, well" I will scream and then maybe throw up.

hola.gifLaura, married to DH-Steve, DD- Gabriella (12/07), DD- Carolina (6/10), babyboy.gif due 4/6/12.toddler.gifhomebirth.jpgcd.gif

#8 of 25 Old 09-06-2011, 08:16 AM

If one more person says, "It's about time you had another one!"  I will say, "Yeah, the emotional toll from 6 years of infertility was crushing me."

These are people that KNEW we were dealing w/ infertility and it would be nearly impossible to have another baby.  They make it sound like we were just waiting on purpose or something!  Like we thought 8 years was ideal spacing!!  Ugh!

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#9 of 25 Old 09-06-2011, 08:52 AM

Hah, I finally thought of one!

If one more person asks me, "Have you ever seen that show on TLC about the family with 19 kids?" I'll just say, "Oh yeah, I love the Duggars. We are trying to catch up to them, but we're only on number 7!"

I'm really sick of being compared to Michelle Duggar because I have six kids! Honestly, she is so much more organized, patient and loving to her kids than I am - maybe the comparison makes me feel sorely lacking and that is why I hate it. Maybe I'm just jealous?! ; )

#10 of 25 Old 09-06-2011, 09:31 AM

How about, if one more person asks me, "oh, was it planned?" whenever I tell them we are expecting, I am going to go into detail about how it was and exactly what was involved in our lovemaking.  Seriously, who asks that?  Apparently LOTS of people.

Happy Wifey to DH tiphat.gifand loving Momma to DS1 superhero.gif 4yrs and DS2  babyboy.gif 6 months

#11 of 25 Old 09-06-2011, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson View Post

How about, if one more person asks me, "oh, was it planned?" whenever I tell them we are expecting, I am going to go into detail about how it was and exactly what was involved in our lovemaking.  Seriously, who asks that?  Apparently LOTS of people.

I got asked that by every member of my family. My dad put it the best: "I hope this was at least slightly planned." They mean well, so I didn't take offense, but really!

#12 of 25 Old 09-06-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson View Post

Hah, my exBIL used to answer, "We planned to have sex that night." It shut everyone right up.

#13 of 25 Old 09-06-2011, 10:44 AM

ROTFLMAO.gifI love it!

#14 of 25 Old 09-06-2011, 10:44 AM

ROTFLMAO.gifI love it!

#15 of 25 Old 09-06-2011, 11:35 AM

If I get asked....."Trying for that girl?" OR told, "you know it's going to be a boy, right?" I will scream in that person's face, I swear!  I'm so sick of people and their comments!!!!! UGH!

Oh and Sonja....your comment back was perfection!!!!! :) Love it!!!

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

#16 of 25 Old 09-06-2011, 11:47 AM

I agree with the "Trying for the girl?" comment.  My most recent response was, "No, that would insinuate that I'm not happy with my boys, or would be disappointed with another. I love my boys so much I would love a whole team of them!"  It was rude, but I was tired of the question. When I'm feeling nicer I say, "Well, I decided I better not start trying until I was ready for another boy, so no, I'm just trying for a baby."

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
#17 of 25 Old 09-06-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrcurry View Post

For me, this pregnancy was NOT planned.  I have very mixed emotions and have a hard time telling people.  Well, now at 9 weeks I look like I'm 4 months along and people have started asking me when the baby is due.  When I tell them that it was a surprise and that I just went back to work from maternity leave, I sometimes get the response "Oh, well" and then something like, "It's a good thing."  I know I'm being too sensitive and I probably shouldn't share so much.  It would be better to work through my emotions in other ways than through announcing my pregnancy.  But the thing is, to me, "oh, well" is something you say when you miss a movie or a sweater is sold out in your size.  Having a baby is a big deal, a life altering event.  Don't get me wrong, I will love this baby and at some point will work through these emotions.  But right now I'm just dealing with getting by- working 9 hr days to set up a classroom, a long commute, all day/night morning sickness, daycare & preschool, buying/selling a car, nursing, hosting/participating in my brother-in-law's wedding, and saving $ to pay for car & furnace. At this point, "oh, well" just rubs me the wrong way.  So if one more person says to me "Oh, well" I will scream and then maybe throw up.

((hugs)) mama it will work out in the end. 

I totally know what you mean!  people can be so blockheaded.

Forest  treehugger.gifMushroom whale.gif

#18 of 25 Old 09-11-2011, 08:50 AM

I'm new here--and I love this thread! I hated comments with my first pregnancy, drove me absolutely nuts. Maybe I'm the only one, but with my first, I HATED when strangers would ask me "When are you due?" And then proceed to give me advice, or tell me I'm big, or not that big.   I was in Toys R' Us once, and I just walked away. LOL   The other question: Are you dilated? Really?! Is it your business to know how open or closed my cervix is?!  No. And I'm thinking I will refuse to get checked this time round...

#19 of 25 Old 09-11-2011, 01:19 PM

If anyone says anything else to me about how relieved they are that we aren't making dd be an only, or that now our family will be "complete", I  might lose it.  Our dd is her own, complete, amazing person-- with or without a sibling.  And our family has been equally complete and beautiful and full and loving for the past 6 years.  We're having another child because we want another child-- not because of what the Hallmark Channel tells us a "real" family is supposed to look like.

#20 of 25 Old 09-12-2011, 06:34 PM

I recently quit my job. Kind of out of the blue, but something I'd been considering a long time. People have been so "You'll do great freelance!" "Good for you!" etc etc ... until they find out I'm expecting. Then it's like I made the Worst Decision Ever. Like they *really* don't think we considered things like insurance or how to cover bills. Sigh.

And a few people have said things like "And we thought that M was going to be one of those spoiled only children forever!" My husband is an only child, and the "spoiled" assumption always riles him up a bit. 

#21 of 25 Old 09-12-2011, 07:43 PM

Ooo I have my own, finally. I have an amazing beautiful daughter I adore. I hate the assumption that I need a boy. I hate that people are outright telling me that they hope this kid is a boy. You know, we'd love another girl. We'd also love a boy. WE DON'T CARE.

Thursday Girl likes this.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#22 of 25 Old 09-13-2011, 07:44 AM

The "you never know" when I say I'm pretty sure it's a girl.  I know there is a chance I could be wrong.  But seriously, stop saying that, it's annoying.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#23 of 25 Old 09-13-2011, 12:23 PM

If one more person tells me anything about us trying for the boy, praying for a boy, or hoping for a boy I might just say "No, I'm hoping for a hermaphrodite"  come on people, we just want a BABY, it doesn't matter what it is. In fact I sort of want a girl just to be contrary

lrcurry likes this.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#24 of 25 Old 09-14-2011, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Y'all are scaring me. We're not out to most people yet--just immediate family and the friends who knew we'd been trying. The one I'm most worried about is the endless questioning about how I got pregnant in the first place (because we're two women). I expect the endless inquiries about cheating/quick baby-making flings/why not just f**k my BIL/etc (that last one I actually got a lot when people asked if we ever wanted kids. Yuck. Just, yuck.). Do I explain what goes into queer TTC, or do I just say 'IVF'? I wanted to say, 'Oops.' but it took so much work to get here that it doesn't seem as funny as it did when I thought we'd be preggo after the first or second try.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#25 of 25 Old 09-16-2011, 05:26 AM

'you look pale today'

'you would look pale too if you have been vomiting for 3 months, suffering from exhaustion, heart burn, dry skin, and frequent unrination while trying to sleep!' ...

Thursday Girl likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page