Weekly chat 9/10-9/17 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 83 Old 09-15-2011, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

10+4 here.

We have a girl name that we've loved for a while which we haven't been sharing for fear that someone will either hate it or steal it. We have no idea for a boy. Everyone thinks this is a girl baby, and it's my secret hope as I've always pictured myself having a daughter. My step-son actually told his class two years ago that he had a "baby sister on the way" ... slightly awkward as his mom and I alternated picking him up each week that whole year and neither of us ever looked pregnant or brought a baby in ... smile.gif

Bumble Bee is cute! Our in utero name for this little one is Cake, since we found out right before my birthday in July. DP was baking me a cake the night  I tested and somehow everything got mixed up in a flurry of innuendo about buns in the oven, cakes, baby batter etc ...

I am trying to get a bit of a handle on baby stuff, ie what the heck do we need. It's helpful that at least one of us has done this before. When DSS was born, DP and his ex did it all on the cheap so I trust him to know what's essential and what's unnecessary. Would love to chat sometime about what you all think is the bare minimum of essential baby stuff. 

stepmama to a 9 y.o. bookworm reading.gif and milky mama to the sweetest girl born april 2012 baby.gif

#62 of 83 Old 09-16-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorfull1 View Post

As far as names, I feel bad because I started way early with DS but this time, I kind of want to find out what it is and then spend the time to find a name.  Is that lazy?  It does cut down half the work.  Poor second kid syndrome already!

Meh, we won't work on a girl's name until we know the sex.  Already have a boy name, although I can't help but feel it's DD's "left over" name.  But DH likes it.  This baby is definitely going to have second child syndrome--no room, just a changing pad in DD's room. But 2nd babies get a lot of benefits too--a more chill mama, an experienced breastfeeding partner, an older sibling for entertainment.  I was always jealous of my younger brother, because I had to do the hard work of breaking in my parents, especially in high school, and he just sort of slid by.  There are advantages both ways!

#63 of 83 Old 09-16-2011, 05:59 AM

Eight weeks this week and I have been feeling really lucky. Besides debilitating sleepiness and at least once a day being really disgusted by all food, oh and the breasts that can feel walls as I get near them, I have been feeling pretty good. When I was pregnant with my son I was sick from about a week after the positive until about 16 weeks. I think I am a little smarter this time around and have been doing things like snacking on greek yogurt instead of plain crackers, making sure I have enough protein each day and staying well hydrated. 

I already have a sizable bump. I started with some extra padding, but did last time also and look about what I did at four or five months. I think. It is sort of crazy.

I am feeling so much like this is a girl. But wonder if it is because I am sort of afraid of having a girl. I don't have a great relationship with my mother and I think that probably is a strong contributing factor to those feelings.

Looking forward to being a more relaxed mama this time around and happy to be planning a home birth. 

#64 of 83 Old 09-16-2011, 07:27 AM

My former MW thinks I may be as much as two weeks ahead of what I thought - 12 weeks instead of 10. I'm measuring way big and she found the heartbeat easily and a lot higher up than she thought she would. It makes sense because my MS is mostly gone (unless I go way too long between meals). Also, my aversion to sugar is pretty much gone (darn!).

I found a great lot of maternity clothes on CL yesterday. Two pairs jeans, a velour sweatsuit, and about eight shirts - all from Motherhood - for $50 bucks (I didn't even haggle). And they fit perfectly! The pants were soooo comfy. I can barely squeeze into my clothes - I'm so glad we're telling the rest of the family this weekend. No more trying to hide my obviously pregnant bump! My dh snickers every time he sees me changing. It is so obvious; I can't believe my dd hasn't asked.

#65 of 83 Old 09-16-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post

Meh, we won't work on a girl's name until we know the sex.  Already have a boy name, although I can't help but feel it's DD's "left over" name.  But DH likes it.  This baby is definitely going to have second child syndrome--no room, just a changing pad in DD's room. But 2nd babies get a lot of benefits too--a more chill mama, an experienced breastfeeding partner, an older sibling for entertainment.  I was always jealous of my younger brother, because I had to do the hard work of breaking in my parents, especially in high school, and he just sort of slid by.  There are advantages both ways!

Sooo true! I was the baby of eight. I got away with so much. My parents were so tired by the time I was a teenager - I'm pretty sure my mom just closed her eyes to what I did! Funny thing is, she remembers me as a perfect teenager? Bwahahaha. I told her it was selective memory.

#66 of 83 Old 09-16-2011, 06:34 PM

we told facebook with a little cartoon I drew of an egg and spem meeting in the uterus and one says "hey your awesome!" and the other says "your awesome too"   " wanna get together?"   "yeah" and then under it said
newest smith due 4/1/12

a couple of daysuntil i enter second trimester! ms has waned a bit, hopefully for good.

i have 4th kid syndrome. lol.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#67 of 83 Old 09-16-2011, 07:18 PM

I've kind of unplugged myself this month while we were traveling, hope y'all don't mind if I join in a little late.

I've got quite a bit of padding but I can't believe I'm not showing yet at all (since this is #2...though I've had 6+ years to get back to normal).  I'm terrible about being able to locate my fundus but I do have a tipped uterus--maybe that's it.  I think part of the not showing is that I feel like I've been pg for five months already (but really am only 12 weeks + 1 day today).  I'll take this as a sign that it's a singleton--(I was an identical twin though my twin died full term and my maternal grandma was also an identical twin so I'm always worried about that!)  I definitely feel wonky still though so assuming I am indeed still pg.  Got standard bloodwork done at appointment 2 weeks ago but haven't heard back yet about it.  We're not going to do US until 20 wks or so and no doppler at all, so will just have to assume it's all good for now.  My next appointment with the MWs is in 2 weeks, I'll trust they'll be able to feel something by then!

I have a list of girl names a mile long but no boy names.  Was totally sure of our girl name with DD (which incidentally is traditionally a boy's name that I just love the elocution of with a very girly nickname we use) and glad she WAS a girl because had no 'boy' names at all then either.  Would love a girl because I love the  relationship I have with my younger sister and want DD to experience that but then again, she's competitive like me and perhaps having a brother would minimize some of that natural competition.  Every once in a while I scour boy name lists to come up with something but no luck yet.  DH doesn't have a strong opinion yet and while he does have veto power (which too often seems to be an excuse about some evil pet he knew once with that name...hmmm) I think he knows that if I LOVE a name, I'll get my choice.  Now just to convince DD that she doesn't get to name the baby Pikachu or whatever character she's in love with at the moment!!

Just got over my 3rd pg migraine this week and it lasted 3 days...was miserable.  Now my intestines seem all out of wack.  Strange thing was, we were just traveling for 8 days and I was totally paranoid about feeling awful but I actually felt great and had more energy than ever (during pg I mean).  Got home and felt horrible again. Thought maybe it was that I was forced to move around more while traveling but even when I force myself to move more at home/go on walks, etc., I feel crappy.  I really hope there's a 'hump' to get over and it's coming soon (I never did get over any hump with DD).  Would just like to not hate food again.

Unschooling mama alongside DH (05/01) to DD (5/05).  Expecting #2 spring 2012!

#68 of 83 Old 09-17-2011, 05:20 AM

Rasa - Welcome! I thought we would have lots of time to find boy names and a lot of trouble mulling them over. But DH completely hooked on to he first serious one I brought up, and not HE won't let ME deviate from it even to just think about other names. It's kinda funny. I hope you get over that hump soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday Girl View Post

we told facebook with a little cartoon I drew of an egg and spem meeting in the uterus and one says "hey your awesome!" and the other says "your awesome too"   " wanna get together?"   "yeah" and then under it said
newest smith due 4/1/12

That's adorable! I love the idea. Care to share the cartoon here? 

I still have no desire to tell facebook. I feel like I'll get a bunch of unwarranted friend requests from DH's 1000 friends, and just odd comments from people I don't know. I think I'm a facebook prude. 

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#69 of 83 Old 09-17-2011, 06:54 AM

55b2d0ba_2014.JPG

we have a boy name but I've got nothing for girl names, maybe b/c we have already come up with 3 girl names with 2 middle names each.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#70 of 83 Old 09-17-2011, 07:04 AM

Haha, that's awesome!

Question for you ROs: Have you always had the name well in advance of the birth? Have you ever changed your mind last minute? Has the name you chose ever just not seemed quite right when the baby arrived? 

We named a puppy once before meeting her in person. I met her, and the name was SO WRONG. So we re-named her on the spot. I'm scared the same will happen to me with a human baby.

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#71 of 83 Old 09-17-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieL View Post

Question for you ROs: Have you always had the name well in advance of the birth? Have you ever changed your mind last minute? Has the name you chose ever just not seemed quite right when the baby arrived? 

We named a puppy once before meeting her in person. I met her, and the name was SO WRONG. So we re-named her on the spot. I'm scared the same will happen to me with a human baby.

We had a list of names that started out at about ten and we narrowed it down to a handful that we super liked and then after spending a couple of days with our son we chose the name that we felt suited him best. It worked for us. We found out his gender, so we never had girl names at all. I think we will probably stick with that method this time around. The name that I thought was the front runner for him turned out to not feel right and I can't even imagine it being his name at all now.

#72 of 83 Old 09-17-2011, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I have friends who just had a baby and when they met him decided that the name they had chosen was almost right--but needed to be switched around. So instead of being "Alexander Logan" he's "Logan Alexander".

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#73 of 83 Old 09-17-2011, 08:22 AM

We had our son's name picked as soon as we got marries, about 3 years before he was born. It is perfect. I pretty much picked our daughter's name early in pregnancy and DH got used to the idea. We never found out we were having a girl, but we never did settle on a boy name, so it all worked out.

This time we have a boy first name we like, but we are unsure about a middle. There are lots of girl names I like, but we aren't thinking too much on it right now. We probably won't find out the gender again. I mean, we did fine without knowing for the first two.

10 weeks today, and I am getting a little nervous. I have had zero bleeding or bad signs, but I also feel like I am not having a lot of good signs. I cannot feel my fundus, so I think it is still under the pubic bone. I feel like it should have risen by now, especially since this is baby #3. My nausea has resolved, though I am still tired. My boobs are way less tender, though they feel big and heavy.

I saw my family NP last week, and she could not get heart tones, though that is not surprising at 9 weeks. I peed on a stick there, and it was instantly positive. I don't see my midwife for almost 3 weeks.

I guess I really have no good reason to think things have gone bad, and I am hoping these are normal fears. I have had 2 lovely pregnancies. I just am praying that this 3rd one will be great, too.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
#74 of 83 Old 09-17-2011, 10:25 AM

Mom2SammyJoe -  We have a lot in common right now, including due dates. ;)  I feel the same way - no bad signs but also feeling like I am not having a lot of good signs either.  I feel almost perfectly well, and I was 9 weeks at my first midwife appointment this past week so they didn't even bother checking for heart tones.   I won't be seeing my midwife again until just after Thanksgiving (Canadian) which is so frustrating because I'd assume she'd find heart tones by the next appointment, but now I have to decide if I share the news with the extended family before I get an "external" sign that everything is going well. :(  My appointment is literally the day after the long weekend, so I'd feel rather silly sending the word out the day after I come home from seeing everyone... but I want to hear that heart beat first!  Bah!

knit.gifLaura, mama to my wonderful Wilhelmina (11/08) energy.gif and my precious Peregrine (4/12) babyboy.gif

#75 of 83 Old 09-17-2011, 02:57 PM

we had a list of favorites for our 2nd and 3rd and chose one when we saw the baby. But the first was named while pregnant. My husband originally picked the name when he was in high school. Then when all of them were about 3 months old I thought their names didn't fit and tried to change them but hubs wouldn't go along with it

#76 of 83 Old 09-17-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelbranch View Post

Mom2SammyJoe -  We have a lot in common right now, including due dates. ;)  I feel the same way - no bad signs but also feeling like I am not having a lot of good signs either.  I feel almost perfectly well, and I was 9 weeks at my first midwife appointment this past week so they didn't even bother checking for heart tones.   I won't be seeing my midwife again until just after Thanksgiving (Canadian) which is so frustrating because I'd assume she'd find heart tones by the next appointment, but now I have to decide if I share the news with the extended family before I get an "external" sign that everything is going well. :(  My appointment is literally the day after the long weekend, so I'd feel rather silly sending the word out the day after I come home from seeing everyone... but I want to hear that heart beat first!  Bah!

I was in the same position before labor day. At almost 10 weeks, should I tell everyone when I see them or hold off? I ended up asking my MW what to do/expressing my concerns and she offered to let me come to her and have a quick listen. I arrived, she listened, she found the heartbeat, and I was gone in less than ten minutes, and my fears were assuaged. It was so worth it. Maybe your MW would consider letting you in for a really quick listen? Or you could see if anyone local from Mothering has a doppler they'd let you use really quick?

#77 of 83 Old 09-17-2011, 03:40 PM

Mom2SammyJoe, you could also consider trying a medical supply rental place near you or purchasing a doppler on eBay.

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

#78 of 83 Old 09-17-2011, 04:10 PM

These are interesting ideas. I'm sure my midwife would be glad to do a quick listen, but she lives an over an hour away. She is going to come here for my appointment in a few weeks. We made the appt. for October because she has a busy September with lots of babies due. I'll be 12 and a half weeks.  I guess I am not worried enough to spend nearly 3 hours in the car at  this point. I had not really considered getting a doppler to use at home. With my last 2 pregnancies, I worked as an RN for an OB office. I tried to listen once on my own and couldn't find the heart beat, so after that I never tried by myself again.

I just looked at dopplers on ebay. They cost anywhere from $50-$1000. I would have no idea which one to even buy.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
#79 of 83 Old 09-17-2011, 04:41 PM

I just bought one of the $50 ones (a Sonoline B) and it works great.

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

#80 of 83 Old 09-17-2011, 06:35 PM

I have one too and heard the heartbeat at 8w5d. I'm 12 weeks now and i find it's harder to listen to since this kid bounces all over the place.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#81 of 83 Old 09-17-2011, 06:45 PM

It took us a half a day to decide on DS 2's name for sure. I wante dto make sure that it fit him... even though it was the ONLY name that we had picked out!

Oh all of you hearing heartbeats!!!  I'm envious! I have 2 more weeks til my next appointment and I'll be 13 weeks then.

Yesterday was my sister's wedding. I was her Matron of Honor. Of course before we were able to leave for the out of town wedding, I had to take out little guy to the ER for 3 stitches on his eye lid!!!  What an experience! He was such a trooper. Today I have done nothing. I am so tired and my allergies are the pits. At one point I sneezed 11 times in a row.... my new record! ha!

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#82 of 83 Old 09-17-2011, 07:40 PM

Oh no adoremybabe!  That must have been so stressful to be in the ER when you were trying to get to focus on the wedding.  Hope you're catching up on rest today!  On the way to a friend's out of town wedding once I had to drop DH (before we were married) on the side of the highway for his dad to pick him up and take him to a friend who was an eye surgeon because DH's allergies were so bad he had abraded his cornea by itching it.  He was all dressed up for the wedding and insisted my friend and I not miss it but we were so late we couldn't side-track to meet anywhere but the side of the highway.  Crazy things happen on important days!

#83 of 83 Old 09-17-2011, 07:47 PM

We had DD's name picked out way before she was born but not until after about 13 weeks.  We had an US around then and though I was kinda mad at him for guessing, our US tech guessed that DD was a girl and told us why he felt that, having had a good look at the anatomy, he even joked he'd put money on it.  I figured it was too early--that's why I was mad--because I WANTED a girl and I was mad that if he was wrong I'd get my hopes dashed at 20 wks or at birth.  Even though I felt like it was a little iffy to go with the tech's info, my intuition was that DD WAS a girl and I got pretty serious finalizing the name.  I don't know why, but it just felt right and that didn't change once we saw her.  I felt REALLY bonded to her in utero, like I had a sense of who she was--she really projected herself onto me and I still feel like she's who she has always been, if that makes any sense.

This babe--not getting any real strong feelings one way or another yet but we're also not going to do an US until 20 wks this time.  I don't have as clear of an idea for a girl name this time--lots that I like but none with any family connection or that I'm head over heels about...I could TOTALLY see having a short list and getting to know her/him a bit first.

Now pets--we waited almost a week to name our 2 cats ;-)  Not sure what that says--harder to find a pet name to match the pet's personality than it was a human?  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page