ROs, anything you need the second time around? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 09-13-2011, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The only thing we absolutely NEED is new car seat for DD so that we can pass her TrueFit down to this baby.

Wants--

--new dresser for DD and new baby to share--will also be used as a changing table upstairs

--second bouncy chair for upstairs so that I have somewhere to put baby when I shower (this is a consignment shop item)

--maternity and postpartum supports

Things I might make--

--new cloth wipes

--more linens for cosleeper, blankets, etc.

Things family/friends might gift--

--too many clothes

--new diaper bag

--moby wrap (have a maya ring sling and an ergo, but I'm addicted....)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 44 Old 09-13-2011, 02:01 PM

The only thing I can think that we will need is some new cloth diapers ( at least covers and a few pockets) because after 2 kids wearing our 4.5 yr old diapers... Well theyre pretty trashed! Absolutely noooooo velcro this time! That's the main issue. Since we have a boy and a girl we are pretty set as far as clothing, though a boy would be easier since our girl was born in the winter.
#33 of 44 Old 09-14-2011, 07:07 AM

Okay, so I realized that I need a new infant car seat.  I had a Graco Snug Ride for my first two, and they both grew out of it at 4 months!  The straps weren't long enough at that point.  Anyone have suggestions for infant seats that carry bigger babies?  Because we don't need a whole lot for this baby, I don't mind splurging on a few things.

Also, whoever had the 34E bra, I'll take it!!!  Too bad I can't just swing over and pick it up, eh?  Motherhood and Thyme maternity (the only other Maternity store in Canada) do not carry bras big enough for me in those first months of breastfeeding.  I squeeze into a 36 DD, which isn't very pretty. 

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
#34 of 44 Old 09-14-2011, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyvangy View Post

Also, whoever had the 34E bra, I'll take it!!!  Too bad I can't just swing over and pick it up, eh?  Motherhood and Thyme maternity (the only other Maternity store in Canada) do not carry bras big enough for me in those first months of breastfeeding.  I squeeze into a 36 DD, which isn't very pretty. 

I am in a 38H now (a 36G before conceiving), and the specialty store I have to shop at told me most of their their nursing bras go up to H..... and that they may be able to get a few in J. So I am not sure I CAN even get one that will fit, if I grow much more.... As it was, my "maternity bra" that I just got was $200 with taxes. gloomy.gif Oh well, at least my husband is thrilled with the "new developments".

#35 of 44 Old 09-14-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Okay, so I realized that I need a new infant car seat.  I had a Graco Snug Ride for my first two, and they both grew out of it at 4 months!  The straps weren't long enough at that point.  Anyone have suggestions for infant seats that carry bigger babies?  Because we don't need a whole lot for this baby, I don't mind splurging on a few things.

Do you definitely want a bucket?  We put DD in a TrueFit convertible from birth, and it worked great.  She is still RFing in it at 2.5 y.o. (with headrest and more upright, of course).  She was 6 lb. 13 oz. and 18.85'' at birth.  Plan is to put new baby in it and get DD a new one when the time comes.

#36 of 44 Old 09-14-2011, 06:35 PM

Its *possible* we'll switch bedrooms, so our kiddos will have a bigger room to share, but I"m waiting to see if we have a girl or boy before we think about that anymore. I wouldn't have room for my sewing if we did that, and its just too  hard to imagine our bed and everything crammed in there.  We're hoping my FIL will make a loft bed, where we can pull the crib out, and it will be furniture to grow with them.  So, the space thing is an issue, but will be resolved. As far as getting things, we have plenty of baby carriers! I would like to make a Pod, I have a lot of MTs, ringslings, and an Ellaroo wrap.  Looking forward to using the sling with a newborn this time!  Our dresser is the perfect height for a changing table, so if I can get a cushion that will be perfect.  If we have a girl, my sister is totally fine with us borrowing clothes, since the sizes will be very close to what her daughter was.  We have plenty of carseats, in fact, our infant car seat is on loan to my sister right now.  What I'd like to do is get rid of baby stuff we didn't use. I honestly never used our monitors. We tested them out, that was it. Never had a use for them with being in an apartment, but might use them if I'd take our toddler to play outside during naptime.

#37 of 44 Old 09-15-2011, 07:58 AM

Ya know what? My dresser is the perfect height for a changing table...it's way to big to put in the master closet (attached to the master bath, and where I envisioned a changing table would go), but maybe we can do some furniture re-arranging and get the dresser closer to the bathroom. I'm envisioning it already! Thanks!!

We never had a monitor the first time around, either. But, we were in an apartment, 1 level, no other children. Now we're in a large house, with bedrooms on the second floor, and DS, who will want to be playing in areas not near the baby, so maybe it is something I could consider. I have many friends who are probably out of the baby stage, so I might be able to get one of their cast-offs.

And I just realized that I kept a pack-&-play in my office during DS's first 18 months. I rarely had him in it, (of course, he preferred sleeping in my arms or in the Ergo while I worked), and I donated it to charity rather than haul it home and store it. So, if I want a way to "contain" this little one in my office, I might be on the look-out for another pack-n-play.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#38 of 44 Old 09-15-2011, 10:23 AM

Wish List for us:

A new house (we're already 5 people in a 1500 sqft house with no storage, we need something bigger!)

If we get the new house, then I'd like a crib.  I had a crib with the first 2 (even though they mostly co-slept, I liked it for naps) but it was re-called between baby 2 and 3 (plus it was a hand me down when I got it, bought for my nephew who is now 12.)

Mama of three.

#39 of 44 Old 09-16-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:

Can you order from www.mommygear.com ?

#40 of 44 Old 09-16-2011, 08:31 AM

Must haves:

Boppy, I loved this with DS!! He would snuggle up next to me eat and then nap. He would also use this for tummy time and when he was learning to sit so he didn't crack his head on the floor.

Ring Sling (I'm going to make my own)

cloth diapers/wipes.  We didn't do this last time, and I'm really excited that I got DH on board!

Car seat

somewhere to store clothes (baskets, shelves, dresser)

Crib mattress and sheets

Nursing bras (now, as I'm already popping out of mine!!)

Wants:

Advent manual pump, I loved it last time, quick and easy

Recliner/Glider for feeding

Extras:

a new blender for making baby food.

Mom knit.gif to DS 8y/obikenew.gif  10/11  angel1.gif   

2/1/12   pos.gif Yay!!

#41 of 44 Old 09-16-2011, 01:48 PM

I just won't even chime in on the bra issue...I'll just embarrass myself :p

For the car seat, my babies are typically in the 10-11lb range, so they outgrow their infant carrier seats by 6-7 months! I won't even waste the money this time, we're just going straight for the convertible seat. I found one this week that goes from rearward facing to forward facing and then even converts to a booster! At around $100 that's probably the route we'll go.

I'm also there on the house front. We are 6, will be 7 after baby, living in a 905 sq ft townhouse. Even if we could continue that way much longer,16 because of graduation after the contract year ends in June I'll no longer be a student, so we'll have to find something else before then. Somewhat nerve wracking to consider.

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

#42 of 44 Old 09-20-2011, 10:32 AM

I'm with you all on the house thing. 5 in 900 some usable sq ft and 1200 sq ft when the back room gets fixed. At first the plan was to move, but now Hubs is backing away from the idea. PLUS next month we might have my mom sleeping on our coach and that's going to SUCK. I am trying to talk Hubs into moving.

Also I have decided I want a new stroller something with a basket underneath. this will mostly be for stuff and not so much for kids, but when I take the kids to the various free events around town they do all sorts of crafts and get stuff, and then water and food and I just really need something to hold STUFF.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#43 of 44 Old 09-20-2011, 12:03 PM

I don't really need much this time atround as we have kept everything from DD. I do need new nursing bras though as the straps have started to fray. I would love to get an ergo and a double jogging stroller so that I can get out moving sooner with the 2. Depending on if this one is a boy or girl, we may need more clothes. Well, we probably need knew clothes either way as DD was a fall baby and this will obviously be a spring baby. I think I'll still be able to use a lot of her stuff if this one is a girl and our good friends had a boy in January so if this one is a boy I'm sure we could borrow some clothes from them. I need to get our cloth diapers and co-sleeper back from them anyways. I want another convertible baby chair like the one we have for our DD. It vibrates and you can rock it or stabilize it and then it turns into a toddler chair. I don't think DD will share her's because she uses it every day. I would also like some more bg diapers and thirsties covers.

Erin , loving wife to Dave, mom to 3cat.gif, angel.gifangel.gifDec. '06, angel.gifOct. '08, DD Reagan Oct. 3, 2009

and DS Jack April 4,2012

#44 of 44 Old 09-20-2011, 12:48 PM

Very eager to find out if I need to start scouring the resale shops for boy stuff!  We got rid of a lot of the stuff from DD that we knew we'd need to replace (falling apart changing table pad) or just didn't really use/like (our high chair--I'll just use DD's old booster seat at the table and save myself an hour a day cleaning food out of the 1000 crevasses the old highchair had) but kept everything else...and I have SOOOO much of that to go through and get rid of if it IS a boy!  But I think we're in good shape otherwise.  I'd like to score some 2nd hand infant cloth diapers as I didn't do that right off the bat last time.

Other than that I'd like to get a good sling for a newborn--I didn't know about slings until DD was 9 months old and I need to make the sling work early on this time.  We co-sleep and are in need of a new mattress desperately...that's the big expense.  And we really only have 1 room where I can fit with DD and the baby and it's not where DD has slept for as long as she can remember--she's very resistant to the idea of changing rooms but is absolute about continuing to co-sleep, which I'm fine with.  She has no problem whenever we travel so I'm telling her to imagine it as a vacation, sleeping in a new room in our own home!, and of course she'll always have her room to go back to if she finds the new baby too noisy/wiggly.

DD was always SO uncomfortable in the infant car seat but she had no problems when we switched to the convertible car seat at 3 months.  Now I wonder if she was really too crunched up in the infant seat, what with the research about infant hypoxia in the infant car seats.  I think we'll just go straight to a convertible seat this time, unfortunately, DD's would be way too old to use so we recycled what we could of them.  We purposely moved to a place with good access to public trans. several years ago so I'm actually hoping to avoid the car as much as possible (it's a dream I think because the reality of toting a baby and child and groceries...)

Unschooling mama alongside DH (05/01) to DD (5/05).  Expecting #2 spring 2012!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page