ROs, anything you need the second time around? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 09-12-2011, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone care to share what is on your 'to do' or 'to buy' list?

For us, we need to actually organize a nursery/baby's room.  Our house is large but only has 2 brs, one that had our queen bed + DH's clothes, a second with a guest bed + my clothes.

We got by fine with one child, but with two, it makes sense to make a room for them, to consolidate into our own bedrooms.  But that means a lot of organizing and minimizing which I know DH will be resistant to!  We will be buying or repurposing a changing table this time - need something with storage/drawers, but the duvet I made got ruined changing a baby for almost 2 years.

Also, since this baby will be born in the spring, I'm thinking of getting a better baby carrier, maybe something like an ergo that is a bit more structured than the moby/mei tai I've made myself.

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

#2 of 44 Old 09-12-2011, 08:15 AM

I would definitely recommend an Ergo or something like it.  I use my Moby until my babies are about 5-6 months, and then almost exclusively use my Ergo.  A new one is on my list for this baby.

As far as extra furniture, you can find almost anything second hand. In Canada Kijiji is a great resource, but if I remember right from before we moved here, Craigslist is better in the States. 

We are finally moving out of my parent's basement after 1 1/2 years where we have lived with both boys and all our things in one room.  All our things are in storage, so it's going to feel like Christmas getting everything out of storage.  Hopefully we won't need to buy anything.  We're moving into a 2 bedroom too, an hoping we can fit everything in. We were in a 3 bedroom full house w/ basement before we moved.  Eek!

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
#3 of 44 Old 09-12-2011, 08:26 AM

It's funny how things change from baby #1 to baby #3.  This is my entire "need/want list":

1. car seat  - convertible for rear-facing and beyond

2. wrap carrier - used a pouch sling for the first two, but I want something with more options (e.g. Moby or Baby K'tan)

3. blanket - my one sentimental item; I pick out a cute blanket that doesn't get passed down to the next.  I like having something special to associate with each individual

Believing, doting, simplifying, caffeinating, baking, midwife in training, and mothering like a dirty hippie. tea6.gif

baby.gif #3 due in April!

#4 of 44 Old 09-12-2011, 08:46 AM

I was just reflecting this morning that we will need a changing table of sorts in the master suite. For #1, we were in a 2-bedroom apartment, with the second bath just steps from the master bedroom, and the laundry room was IN the second bath. Never had a changing table - just used the top of the dryer and tossed stuff in the washer. Now that we're in a 2-story, we'll need an area for night-time changes (diaper & clothing storage, too), as I don't think the counter in the bath is *quite* big enough.

Very few wants and needs this time around, that I can think of...

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#5 of 44 Old 09-12-2011, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We have almost nothing left from the first 2, lol.  But I know that we do not *need* much :-)

changing table

car seat

co-sleeper or bassinet (we have 3 dogs, and I feel like we *need* something besides the bed)

diapers love.gif

I would like a stretchy wrap like a moby or something similar - any recommendations??

I will buy almost everything second-hand, except the car seat. It will be fun thumb.gif

thomatuttle likes this.

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#6 of 44 Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 AM

The only thing that we'll need for sure is a new carseat and maybe a good nursing pillow.  We didn't buy a lot for dd, but what we did buy were good, solid things that we've held onto (Ergo, drsser/changer, learning tower, co-sleeper).  The one thing I'm debating is whether I might want to try pumping a little for this babe so that I can get a out for a bit after a few months and feel comfortable leaving dh without worrying about the babe getting hungry.  My dd never got a bottle in her life-- so that would be a whole new ballgame.  Not sure if it's worth the hassle, but I think dh would appreciate the show of confidence in him.  Any recomendations about all that paraphenelia woud be welcome.

#7 of 44 Old 09-12-2011, 10:40 AM

We thought we were done, so we gave DD our dresser/changing table and mini-crib. We never used them anyway. DD has all of our baby clothes and dipes, but they should be timed well enough that she can pass them back in time.

I'd like to replace the ring sling I loaned out and never got back : (

I need some new nursing bras.

I need some small Kushies (love those!).

Our greatest need is to get all three little boys sleeping in their own beds EVERY night, ALL night!

#8 of 44 Old 09-12-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsasecret View Post

Our greatest need is to get all three little boys sleeping in their own beds EVERY night, ALL night!

HA HA.  My boys are 5 & 7 and still wander into our bed every night, lol.  That would be super!

I need new nursing bras, as well.  I actually have some from my last ds, but they are almost 6 years old.  I think I will splurge. ROTFLMAO.gif

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#9 of 44 Old 09-12-2011, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, I will need another nursing bra.  I went cheap the last time and got a returns lot from motherwear but they were too big (if anyone needs 34E, LMK!) so I need to actually get something better sized.

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

#10 of 44 Old 09-12-2011, 01:07 PM

Knock knock...what does RO stand for? :sheepish:

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#11 of 44 Old 09-12-2011, 01:40 PM

Yeah, I don't know what RO stand for either, I just jumped in!

For anyone needing nursing bras http://www.mommygear.com/ is awesome. They have really gorgeous, supportive bras for we busty mom, too. I have two of these http://www.mommygear.com/bravado-allure-underwire-nursing-bra.htm and they keep the girls nice and high. I've worn them a lot over the last 20 months and they still look new. They are definitely worth the money. I just bought this http://www.mommygear.com/majamas-easy-nursing-bra.htm and it's a really comfy, nice sleep bra that doesn't stretch out like the ones from Motherhood.

Their shipping is super fast and customer service is great. I had to exchange a nursing tank and they sent out the new size the day I called, before I even put the other one in the mail! It was http://www.mommygear.com/undercover-mama-nursing-tank.htm You can wear it with your own nursing bra - it works great!

cjmullin likes this.
#12 of 44 Old 09-12-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieL View Post

Knock knock...what does RO stand for? :sheepish:

I assumed "repeat offender"...

Believing, doting, simplifying, caffeinating, baking, midwife in training, and mothering like a dirty hippie. tea6.gif

baby.gif #3 due in April!

#13 of 44 Old 09-12-2011, 03:37 PM

I need very little as well. I think we need to get a dresser, maybe a couple of new diaper covers and I definitely need new nursing bras/tanks. I think I prefer the tanks for sleeping at night, so I'll be getting a few this time around. My insurance gives me a breast pump, so I don't have to worry about that. My DS had maybe one bottle his entire life, but I'd like to be able to pump and let him feed the baby. The old pump I had was my sister's and that thing was horrible! It's definitely worth it to get a new one. 

Other than that, hmmmm. I can't think of much else. My DS transitioned to his convertible carseat at 18 months and his Chicco carseat is still good to go, so I don't need one of those either. Life is actually much simpler after you've had one (stuff-wise, that is). 

#14 of 44 Old 09-12-2011, 04:38 PM

We have so little left from the first 2. We thought we were done, & then followed through on our crazy idea of a 3rd!

I always buy new nursing bras. Mine were so stretched out after I was done that I wanted to burn them & go back to under wires!

We need a new car seat, clothes, diapers....

We got a co-sleeper super cheap from a friend. I'm probably getting a ergo at some point. I have a ring sling from my second, I just bought a used kangaroo korner, & I'm borrowing a Maya wrap.

We are only in a 3 bedroom place, & with a 5 yo & 10 yo of the opposite sex, asking them to share a rooms out, so the babe will be with us. Right now I'm thinking we may just get 2 new dressers for our room since we need them any way & put a changing pad on one of them.

I also really want another rocking chair, though I have no idea where it would go!

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

#15 of 44 Old 09-12-2011, 04:45 PM

We will need a carseat, though I am not above borrowing one.

Our last house had built-in desks in the kids' rooms that we used as a changing table, so we have never really had one of those. I am a little surprised at how many experienced moms want one again. I thought that was something people didn't really use that much. I will have to think about that one or where we will change the baby if we don't get one.

We bought this house last year and have done a ton of work on it. The last piece to get done is turning an old living room/kitchen into our mastor suite. If we don't get this done before baby comes I don't know where we'll put the baby, never mind all the stuff!

We are not really co-sleeping people, so our crib has been in constant use for over 4 years. The crib is fine, but I wonder if I should get a new mattress. We will need a few sheets and mattress pads for that.

I'd like a new breast pump as mine has been through lots of use with 2 kids. Even though I didn't work after my 2nd child, I pumped alot of milk for another baby. I think they are good to have around. Our insurance will cover this, but I will have to deal with getting a prescription and getting reimbursed after the baby is born.

I'd like another dozen infant prefolds, though I will talk to my SIL about buying or borrowing hers. I'd probably like 6 or so bG's or similar to use for naps and outings. Really have a lot of these, but they are in pretty rough shape.

I am wondering about some sort of carrier. I like the look of an Ergo. I have an okay ring sling, but I'd like a sturdier one if that is to be my main carrier.

In a way this seems like a long list, but when I look at what I thought I needed for my first, it really isn't that much.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
#16 of 44 Old 09-12-2011, 04:55 PM

we got rid of EVERYTHING! 

I need maternity clothes, diapers, baby clothes, a nursing pillow,  washable baby wipes.

I have gotten back my infant car seat already so we are good until baby outgrows that.

I do have some of my baby blankets left b/c I have the special homemade ones and each of the kids "special" blankets that I bought just for them, all the kids used it but each one was always that childs. PLUS I have 2 that were Hubs when he was a baby.

My friend that I gave the cloth diapers too will have the infant and small diapers to give back, but the bigger ones will still be used so she said she was planning on throwing me a cloth diaper shower.

My nursing pillow I gave to the birth center, so i will just have to replace it.  heck I might just make one myself. 

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#17 of 44 Old 09-12-2011, 05:22 PM

I too am starting all over, but it really makes you question what you need and what you just want. The last thing I want is another cluttered house, and it's even worse in the townhouse we're in temporarily. I will probably get a bassinet (or moses basket), car seat, clothes, and that it's. I might need a breast pump for those last few weeks of school while DH is doing baby-duty, but I'd like to find a way around that (I really don't like to use bottles, especially that early). Once they are a little older I will decide if we need a stroller, seat, etc.

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

#18 of 44 Old 09-12-2011, 05:24 PM

Repeat Offender! Hahaha! My body sure does feel offended right  now.

After 2 boys and one girl there isn't that much that we need. I'd like a new baby seat/chair so I have a place to put baby down when needed. Our current chair is falling apart.

I think that's it! We have a changing table but use it as a diaper and art supply shelf. I usually change baby's diaper on the floor. It's faster that way.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#19 of 44 Old 09-12-2011, 06:20 PM

I just have to re-chime in, for thoe of you considering an Ergo:  DO IT!!  I got mine at a discount directly from Ergo (it had been returned and one part re-stitched- there was a place for it on their website), and I seriously used that thing through last summer-- when dd was 4.5 yo.  Seriously-- the single best baby item we bought.

#20 of 44 Old 09-12-2011, 06:27 PM

A friend of ours got an antique dry sink and used that as a change table - it was so perfect, and then could be used for other things afterwards.  I think we're just going to use one of the old dressers we have for the times we want to change the baby up high (or with access to all the creams and cloths and such).  I love the idea of having something to put the baby down in, but on the other hand, I always find that's a magnet for the younger kids to go fondle the baby.  I've often used the car seat and put it up on the kitchen counter beside me......we'll see.  I don't think I *need* much at all, but I may get one or two new things - more luxury items!  I love the baby hammocks, but don't think it would fit in our room.  We'll see over time...........

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#21 of 44 Old 09-12-2011, 08:08 PM

Hmm, put me in the boat of pretty much needing everything.  I borrowed everything up until DS was in 12 mo clothes.  No changing table for us though, too much of a hassle and the floor and couches work great.  I do have an ergo and because I am addicted to carriers...I will probably want a second one.  The one I have now kind of feels like it is DS's and he will still be able to be carried in it for a long while.  I haven't even really started a list but clothes and cloth diapers are high up!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#22 of 44 Old 09-13-2011, 06:59 AM

I second the Ergo! I used a Moby wrap for the first year with my son and now we have the Ergo and love it. I have a small kid - he's 27 months and 25 pounds soaking wet. I will be able to use it for a long, long time! I plan to use my Moby in the beginning again and transition to the Ergo when babe is bigger. 

#23 of 44 Old 09-13-2011, 07:42 AM

I want to get a nicer baby swing, ours wasn't too great and certainly didn't work well with a very little baby.  I also would like a play mat.  We borrowed one and it was so useful at times.  Otherwise, we're pretty much set unless I decide to get a changing table.  Oh, newborn and small woolies though!  We didn't cloth diaper my son when he was a newborn so I got a newborn diaper stash, but need covers for the fitteds.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#24 of 44 Old 09-13-2011, 08:17 AM

hm, im starting from scratch. Other than a couple of outfits, some baby toys and a couple of blankets we gave everything away.

I dont want to go wild on aquiring stuff but will need a carseat, a good carrier, baby clothes, dipes (probably just prefolds and covers). Eventually i'll want to get a crib to sidecar, a jogging stroller and a baby swing. And eventually we'll have to move out of our tiny house to something bigger but we had been talking about doing that anyways.

Are the nursing pillows helpful? I just used regular pillows with my first because i hadnt heard of the nursing pillows and it worked just fine. I dont want extra stuff that we dont really need.

And i want to get one of those wool puddle pads for the bed too. I didnt know about them with my first when he was little but they look handy

heartbeat.gif

#25 of 44 Old 09-13-2011, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

I really like my boppy pillow for nurisng hands free.

Sounds like the ergo is really all it's cracked up to be.

#26 of 44 Old 09-13-2011, 10:50 AM

I second or third those of you contemplating an Ergo. Used it daily for 2+ years.

I owned an electric pump - super-duper fancy model given to my by my BBF - but I never used it. I pumped off at the beginning of every feed (too much foremilk) for a few months - and I used an Ameda that I got free from our local LLL. It finally broke, and they gave me another one.

http://www.shopping.com/Ameda-New-2009-Ameda-One-Hand-Manual-Breast-Pump-17061/info

I will be in need of maternity clothing - the seasonal timing of this pregnancy is completely different this time around. And new bras and nursing bras. My breasts have grown so much in the past 2 weeks that I should probably get a new one asap.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#27 of 44 Old 09-13-2011, 11:01 AM

oh, yes, a nursing pillow.  Any recs on that?  Or is Boppy still the only one?

#28 of 44 Old 09-13-2011, 11:57 AM

Honestly, I never used mine. It's sitting in my basement and we use it to lie on when we're on the couch. :) I was always wearing my son, so I tended to nurse in the Moby. I also didn't think that the nursing pillow was very comfortable. I had a Boppy. I know some people who swear by them, but I think they are just an extra thing that isn't really necessary (unless you have twins or something).

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post

Are the nursing pillows helpful? I just used regular pillows with my first because i hadnt heard of the nursing pillows and it worked just fine. I dont want extra stuff that we dont really need.

#29 of 44 Old 09-13-2011, 12:11 PM

i used the boppy with all 3 of mine, without it i would slouch and my back hurt, but i also hear those with larger breasts don't need them. I'll be lucky if I'm a C for the first couple of months so for me it's important until the baby gets bigger.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#30 of 44 Old 09-13-2011, 12:23 PM

I used a Boppy with my first two kids. If it was there, I used it. If I was in a different room, I used whatever pillow I could find. When my first was in the NICU for a bit, I tried a My Breast Friend. I really liked the design of this. It is flat and makes more of a shelf for baby to lay on. The Boppy is so rounded that sometimes baby would end up rolling low and trying to latch on to my belly. I got the Boppy as a gift. It is nice because it can be used to prop baby in or put behind them as they are learning to sit-more applications than just nursing. But I think the My Breast Friend made for a more comfortable nursing position for both of us. Really, I loaned my Boppy to my sister. If she has it to give back, we will just keep using that. If not, I will have to decide if it is worth it to invest in another pillow. If we buy one, it will likely be the My Breast Friend, despite the goofy name.smile.gif

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page