Did some bloodwork...low progesterone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-16-2011, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I went to my GP this week to do some routine thyroid testing and as requested by my midwife I asked him to add on a progesterone test. When I called he told me everything was normal. I stopped by the office for a copy of the results and my refill prescription and thought nothing of it.

So when I had a moment last night I looked over my labs and my progesterone was only a 7!!!! I know I'm still pregnant, I did a proof a pregnancy test yesterday and all was well, plus my nipples still hurt, my nose is still stuffy and I still have MS.

I have never tested progesterone before, but my MW suggested I test and predicted it would be low based on some of my symptoms. I'm waiting for her to call me back.

I'm a little nervous. Anybody else deal with this?

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 10:07 AM

I am taking progesterone for low progesterone, but I have not had it tested in this pregnancy. Come to think of it, I don't think it was tested in my last pregnancy, but I took it. I was prescribed it based on my miscarriage history (2), and I *think* I recall having my progesterone tested in a regular cycle back way before I got pregnant for the first time, but was having very short cycles. I may also have had it followed during one of my miscarriages, but I honestly don't remember. 

I will tell you what I recently learned/encountered with progesterone prescriptions. My midwife initially prescribed a cream to be inserted vaginally (because it delivered the hormone right where she wanted to), but the pharmeceutical companies change formulas so often that (a) there is no generic brand, and (b) every new formula is considered a "new" drug by (some) insurance companies. My insurance wouldn't cover the vaginal cream ($526 a month for 3 months!!), so the midwife prescribed oral 200mg (not sure of the mg part, but it is 200). That is partially covered by insurance, and I'm paying $65/month for 3 months out of pocket. (Midwife wrote the script for 3 mos, but insurance will allow it to be filled for only a month at a time.)

Take the progesterone at night, because it can upset your stomach/give some cramps. Take it apart from calcium (by at least a few hours) because calcium can inhibit absorption (at least in animal studies).

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:03 PM

I had low progesterone for my first pregnancy.  I had to be on it to get pregnant (I had a couple very early miscarriages and ovulation problems).  I was on an oral dose of progesterone daily for 12 weeks then tapered for weeks 12-15.  DD was born without a hitch, healthy as a horse.  I was under the care of a midwife the entire time.

This pregnancy I did not need to take progesterone to get pregnant, when they tested my levels when I was 4 weeks pregnant they looked really good.  I started using a topical progesterone cream just as an added "cement" to make sure the pregnancy held.  I doubled the dose per MW rx when I had some light spotting a few weeks ago (nothing came of it, still am pregnant).  

SO-- I don't know if this is helpful for you at all, but wanted you to know that with (so far!) two very different pregnancy experiences and progesterone issues, I was still able to have a healthy baby and I've got my fingers crossed for this one, all looks very good so far.

Good luck to you- there are lots of options to get your progesterone levels up if you need!  I hope your MW is helpful for you.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:26 PM

I was put on progesterone with dd's pregnancy from 8-12 wks (only because I asked, due to 2 early losses). Not sure if I was ever low, but I guess it didn't hurt, her pregnancy was textbook perfect. Im now 8 wks again (had 2 more early losses), saw the hb today, and completely forgot to ask about progesterone, so now Im freaking out too.

Carolyn, married to M, momma to K (09/'09) and C (04/'12).
Old 09-17-2011, 04:28 PM

I, too, for a few of my pregnancies.  With the first two I would go into the ob office weekly for injections into my butt.  Then I switched to a midwife for my third and she gave me oral pills.  For my fourth I did oral and suppositories.  I haven't had my levels checked this time but I am just using some cream I had leftover from a miscarriage.  I'm 10 weeks and I haven't been seen yet because of vacation schedules and now we're sick.

Wife to one cowboy and Mama to seven wonder kids.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:46 AM

I am not due in April, but my doctor put me on Prometrium once a night until I was 12 weeks. She did a test two weeks later to test my progesterone and everything was fine. I actually just stopped taking it last Friday night, even though I am now 14 weeks, but they are SO expensive and I had some left so I decided to finish them. Everything seems to be going great so far. I had a previous miscarriage back in October, I was about 6 wks 6 days. I believe that to be what was wrong with my first pregnancy but I will never know. The doctor never notified me if that was the case. I hope everything turns out okay for you as well! But I can tell you, do not worry! I did and it made things worse!

Old 09-19-2011, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

I've been using progesterone cream 2x a day. I've been using it for only 4 days so far.

Man, I feel so much better. The extreme fatigue has gone. I feel a lot more clear headed. I still have a sensitive sense of smell, sore nipples and a little nausea, all good signs that things are still going well.

I'm trying to stay positive and not worry. I keep reminding myself that if I had not tested for progesterone, I would not have suspected anything was off or wrong. I'll be 9 weeks this week. The baby's placenta should start pumping out some progesterone soon. I'm hoping everything will be in the normal range then. Just a few more weeks and I will feel comfortable enough to use a doppler. That little heartbeat will be reassuring.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:27 AM

Thank you for updating, AbbieB. Glad that things seem to be going well.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

User Tag List