Constipation/IBS HELP! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-16-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey ladies, this is baby #4 for me.  I SUFFER from AB IBS and have horrible constipation (8-10day no BM) followed by diarrhea.  Any way to "fix" this?  Anyone else have the same thing?  I take fiber supplements per the GI and eat prunes, juice, etc. but nothing really works.  And the abdominal pain is horrific.  

Blessings, 

Katie

#2 of 11 Old 09-16-2011, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am sorry mama, that doesn't sound like fun at all. Any food sensitivities? I would at least add in a probiotic, like one in pill form that you take at least once a day.  I had IBS issues before being pg, like a few years ago,  and probiotics and decreasing dairy really helped.  I hope you get some relief and stability soon!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#3 of 11 Old 09-16-2011, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.  I just picked up some probiotics.  I have two kids with Celiac Disease so I eat 90% gluten-free.  Otherwise no food allergies/sensitivities that I know of.  

Blessings, 

Katie

#4 of 11 Old 09-16-2011, 01:46 PM

What kind of prenatal vitamin are you taking? I only ask because iron can really mess up your gut. I was taking one with a lot of iron and it was giving me 24 hour nausea. I also second the suggestion to cut back on dairy. I know it's probably the main way you are getting fat and calcium (especially if you are eating gf), but the dairy can clog you up. So can apples. I'm gluten intolerant, so I know how difficult it can be to find a solution when you're already restricting your diet (even though you aren't the one gf). On the note of fiber, it will probably make you feel even more gassy and bloated. Try to drink lots of fluids, like water and tea. Avoid juices. If you're really desperate, drink some caffeine. That seems to work for me every time.

Good luck, mama. 

kbaldridge06 likes this.
#5 of 11 Old 09-16-2011, 02:05 PM

I had terrible issues with constipation with my first child. For a while I took aloe vera (in capsules-not just drinking the juice). I have no idea if this would help you or cause more issues with your IBS. This worked for me for awhile, but I eventually went to taking Miralax. It was prescription then. Anyway, I took it about every other morning, mixed with hot cocoa. It was effective, but I don't know if it is the healthiest option or if it would cause you more issues.

I did not have any issues with my second pregnancy. This time things are just okay, but I am hoping they improve on their own.

Besides drinking plenty, getting in some physical activity can also be helpful.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
#6 of 11 Old 09-16-2011, 06:13 PM

I'm in the same boat. 2 or 3 days of no pooping, and then BAM it's worse than early labor. I had some of this with my daughter, which is when I realized that the only way to tell the difference between preterm labor and the resolution of constipation is that if you feel better after you poop you're not in labor.

I absolutely plan on asking my midwife about this next week.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#7 of 11 Old 09-17-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ladies!  I am currently not taking a pre-natal because of the iron issue.  I just take a regular vitamin, no iron.  

Sunflwrmoonbeam- I feel the same way.  Although it feels like full blown labor to me!  I get hot flashes, nausea, incredible abdominal pain, etc.  It's awful!  I had the same problem with #3 and I thought I was having a miscarriage when it happened the first time.  Went to the Dr. and everything.  

I wish it was only 2-3 days for me, but it's more like 8-10.  I'm just worried about the baby.  I know that the intestines will start to leak the toxins from the bowel after so long which worries me.  

My Dr.'s just keep saying more fiber.  Seeing a midwife on Monday will see what she says. 

#8 of 11 Old 09-17-2011, 07:16 AM

My low key, FP Dr recommends Magnesium Citrate in capsules. (It has to be citrate) Start with one at bedtime. You can increase up to 4 capsules. The goal is to have a soft stool before noon the next day. If you get diarrhea, you are taking too much & should cut back by 1 capsule.

Its helping a lot, though I don't always have a BM by noon. I have IBS & this pregnancy is really effecting my digestion. One of theses day I should cut out wheat because I think I have a sensitivity. I already don't eat dairy.

Oh, & I've noticed that if I cook with coconut oil, I get diarrhea. So that might be a natural laxative if you need it! smile.gif

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

#9 of 11 Old 09-17-2011, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!  I am going to try that!  We use a lot of coconut oil, maybe I could take a few tablespoons by its self...

#10 of 11 Old 09-17-2011, 10:27 AM

After dealing with nasty constipation and evil hemorrhoids as a result with my first pregnancy, I made darn sure to poop at least once every 24 hours with my second. If it didn't happen naturally, and I knew I needed to go, I would just use a fleet's suppository and within a few minutes I was able to go with out too much effort.

I found water, prune juice, fiber, etc... did not really help the problem other than creating pressure behind the "clog" so to speak. I still will keep those solutions in mind, and I do drink a lot and up the fiber in my diet while pregnant anyway, but the key is to keep regular for me.

kbaldridge06 likes this.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#11 of 11 Old 09-17-2011, 10:45 AM

The other thing I forgot to mention is fish oil. Not only will it help with constipation, but it will make your baby smarter! :)

kbaldridge06 likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page