Weekly chat thread 9/17-9/24 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 09-21-2011, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need to have my husband read this post.  He is killing me.  This is our first baby and he just doesn't get it yet.  I feel like crap 24/7 and he is just going to have to weather it out.  He has been super helpful with meals but I am just so irritable and short that he gets a little taste of it at least a couple times a day.  No yelling or tantrums - just short and not the friendliest responses.  I've tried to explain that I feel like smacking him and throwing something across the room so a short response is not that bad, but I don't think he gets it.  I am literally not in control of my emotions.  He feels "unappreciated" even though I tell him 100 times a day how much appreciate all that he is doing - taking care of the dogs, making dinner, etc.  I feel bad for him, but really I don't care.  I want to tell him to suck it up and deal.  It doesn't help that he is the stereotypical female and I am the stereotypical male in our relationship.  He is talkative, friendly, loves shopping, wants to spend 30 minutes talking about how our days went.  I am the introverted engineer who tends to give one word answers, can't stand shopping and would rather spend those 30 minutes reading. 

Hopefully things will get back to normal in a few weeks.

My family = Me + DH plus new babe 5/12 make 3 buddamomimg1.png

#32 of 44 Old 09-21-2011, 02:11 PM

I'm SO glad to hear I'm not the only one with the food crazies!! I actually cried the other night because nothing we had sounded any good to me! The past few days I've been upset because I wasn't *feeling* pregnant anymore, I don't really know how to describe it. I'm glad that ended today, especially when I started bawling after listening to this song: http://youtu.be/PbHe7qQGD0Y

In all reality I think the song would have made me tear up regardless of being pregnant or not, lol!

Mother to one Little Flower Childdust.gif 3/08 and one little squirmy boy babyf.gif 4/12 homebirth.jpg, Wife to fuzmalesling.gif,I am a Vegan Pagan. We familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif mdcblog5.gif!

#33 of 44 Old 09-21-2011, 02:19 PM

The constipation is getting out of hand. Not only does it contribute to me feeling miserable, now its causing me to have some spotting. I've strained so hard a couple times that I've had some spotting. Not a lot & no cramping, but it's freaking me out. I'm doing what I can with the constipation, but ugh.

l

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

#34 of 44 Old 09-21-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudmama View Post

The constipation is getting out of hand. Not only does it contribute to me feeling miserable, now its causing me to have some spotting. I've strained so hard a couple times that I've had some spotting. Not a lot & no cramping, but it's freaking me out. I'm doing what I can with the constipation, but ugh.

l

So sorry to hear your dealing with this.  I would try a warm latte - something caffeinated - and a walk.  It might be worth skipping prenatal vitamins for a day or two if you suspect the iron in them as the cuprit.  Maybe just a straight up folic acid pill for a week or so instead and try to get the other extras in through your diet.

Believing, doting, simplifying, caffeinating, baking, midwife in training, and mothering like a dirty hippie. tea6.gif

baby.gif #3 due in April!

#35 of 44 Old 09-21-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christy1980 View Post

chapluqa - I have to weigh every day b/c if I don't, I will totally lose track of where I am.  And I still get surprised from time to time with a big number I wasn't expecting.  With the slow digestion issues, that makes it worse, but gives me a bit of an excuse, lol..."well, if I wasn't so full of poo, I wouldn't have gained 2 pounds since yesterday!"  LOL!! 

yeahthat.gif

If I don't go for 3 days, on the evening of the 3rd day I take a fiber pill.  Its really annoying because then I go, ah, urgently the next day.  But its better than having uncomfortably full bowels.  I've also started adding quite a bit of ground flax seed to my food, which I'm hoping will help.  Funny because with DD I had the opposite problem!

#36 of 44 Old 09-22-2011, 05:42 AM

I will be 12 weeks on Saturday and I have always been sick until 16 weeks. On Tuesday night I didn't take my vitamins because I was "too tired". Low and behold I felt better yesterday. Not perfect but markedly better. So I decided not to take them again last night and I feel even better! I've been taking a really good quality daily vit., chelated zinc, vit. d, and biotin (b-7). Now I'm beginning to think that it's my vitamins that have been making me miserable. I think that it will be safe enough to take a week off at this point to see how I feel for the next few days. Then I'll reintroduce each vit. one at a time. What a difference in the way that I feel!

Nicmom- I can completely understand your mood. This is my 4th pregnancy and I have my bad mood days once in a while but I remember that during my first pregnancy I was more likely to get snotty with someone without even realizing it. I'm generally a nice person.

Without offending you....  You having a baby very much affects you and your husband. You are going through major changes and so is he. Yes they are different but I can imagine that he doesn't quite know what to do. Yes, it seems that he is taking care of your physically but I am guessing that he'd like to take care of you emotionally too. The wisdom on how to do that only comes with time. My DH pretty much knows what to do and what to say now. We've been married for 7 years. What I suggest to you is that you really take some quiet time to think about what will keep you happy and calm. If it is more space for yourself then so be it. The key is to be gentle with your DH when you relay this to him. I think that it's wise to make yourself accountable especially when you know that you are feeling short and you can see yourself being that way with him. Yes, at times our female hormones want us to act before we think but we all have some ability to control our actions. You might hate me for saying this. It might not be the advice that you wanted but I think that it might be good for you and your baby. Babies can sense our emotions and moods. Good luck.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#37 of 44 Old 09-22-2011, 10:16 AM

Adoremybabe - no offense taken.  I totally understand.  I know when I am in one of those moods and always tell him in advance or if I don't catch it in time, apologize after the fact.  When I am feeling irritable or physically sick, I withdraw so that I don't take it out on him.  He is the opposite - when he is feeling bad physically or emotionally he seeks me out and I end up sharing in the burden.  When I withdraw he takes it as a slight to him.  Now that I sit down and type it out, this seems like the major problem and why he feels unappreciated.

My family = Me + DH plus new babe 5/12 make 3 buddamomimg1.png

#38 of 44 Old 09-22-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicMom View Post

Adoremybabe - no offense taken.  I totally understand.  I know when I am in one of those moods and always tell him in advance or if I don't catch it in time, apologize after the fact.  When I am feeling irritable or physically sick, I withdraw so that I don't take it out on him.  He is the opposite - when he is feeling bad physically or emotionally he seeks me out and I end up sharing in the burden.  When I withdraw he takes it as a slight to him.  Now that I sit down and type it out, this seems like the major problem and why he feels unappreciated.

Oh good... I've been waiting for your reply. Oh the things that we learn about ourselves when we are pregnant! I am now perfectly fine barking orders at my DH if something needs to be done and I just can't. The best thing about a first baby is that when you are feeling better, you can focus your time on eachother and not other children too. Just keep communicating with him and know that this crappy time will not last :)

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#39 of 44 Old 09-22-2011, 12:29 PM

NicMom - hug2.gif  It gets better!

Still on poop watch at my house!  LOL!  I actually took a stool softener last night, but so far, nothing has materialized.  I think I'm on day 3 at this point.  Might try a coffee or something w/ some caffeine in it, thanks, Cheap Sunglasses!!  thumb.gif

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#40 of 44 Old 09-22-2011, 12:29 PM

JustKate - I have some flax seed @ home and have only used it once, will have to try that, too!  Thanks!!

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#41 of 44 Old 09-22-2011, 01:25 PM

Epsom salt baths or liquid calcium-magnesium before bed for constipation.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#42 of 44 Old 09-22-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christy1980 View Post

JustKate - I have some flax seed @ home and have only used it once, will have to try that, too!  Thanks!!

My DD has poop "issues" too, so I got it originally for her, but now i sneak it in to all of our food.  Anything that I mix and bake gets some, including goodies and casseroles; yogurt, applesauce, you name it!

#43 of 44 Old 09-23-2011, 06:31 PM

I also find waking up first thing in the morning and have a hot cup of water with lemon squeezed into it, followed by a walk in the morning keeps me regularly.  I"ll often add belly-dance type movements to loosen everything up, and also sitting on my knees with my heels into my buttocks, straight back, and drinking more hot tea or water helps.  Good luck - constipation sucks, I now try to do everything I can to avoid it.

I'm feeling slightly better these days, I think when I eat regularly it goes better.  Today was a busy day, though, and we were out and about and I realized I hadn't eaten enough and I was starting to feel nauseous.  We went to a local Whole Foods to get food for supper and I was STARVING, biting my mom's head off and not caring about anything else.  And, of course, so hungry that NOTHING even looked good to me at all.  Finally, I knew whining wasn't helping and I just had to eat, so I picked something and ate it, and it was delicious once I started eating it!  Fun times:-)  The one way I *know* I"m still pregnant is my breasts are still really sore.  That, and I can't believe how pregnant my belly looks already - amazing how different it is with my fourth!!!!!

I've often heard people say their prenatals make them feel nauseous.  I've often gone off mine because of the same issue, and I trust that I'm getting enough nutrition out of my diet.  This time I'm taking New Chapter Perfect Prenatals and they don't seem to be making me feel nauseous, so I'll stick with them.  I think feeling good and therefore eating more real food is probably the better option, though!!!!!

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#44 of 44 Old 09-24-2011, 07:38 AM

I was starting to feel nervous because I haven't been more nauseous. I spent 16 weeks or so round the clock sick and vomiting when I was growing my son. I had an ultrasound yesterday (pic in the ultrasound thread) and everything looks good. 9 weeks 3 days today. 

Last night I was hit with an uncontrollable craving for canned green beans. Not fresh or frozen. Canned. I ran out for them and my husband was like, "Really, your craving is for mushy green beans?!" They were the most amazing thing I have eaten all week. :)

We will be interviewing midwives in the next few weeks. There is a midwife that I am really interested in that is about an hour away. I am hoping that it will work to use her practice. There are a few to choose from locally but all have at least one person that I know personally that I don't really want around when I am in labor or to see my vagina in general. 

I can so relate to those of you in the crabby/moody area. It has been extra hard to be calm and patient with my four year old. And, I cry at almost anything. After preschool yesterday, he showed me a drawing of our family that looked like a blob with a circle around it and when I asked him to tell me about it he said that I was in the middle and my husband was a force field around me because he protects me. I got all weepy in the hallway. 

I need to pick up some liquid cal-mag today because I am also in the constipation club! Hopefully that will help things along. I am also going to try the lemon in hot water. 

Looking forward to wrapping up the first trimester in the next few weeks. I am ready for an energy upswing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page