Anybody else plan on keeping their pants on at all checkups? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-18-2011, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The title says it all. This will be my first pregnancy dealing with an OB and I'm a little worried how my "pants on" stance is going to go over.

My last 2 were with a homebirth midwife so it was not an issue.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#2 of 10 Old 09-18-2011, 08:05 AM

By "pants on" do you just mean that you don't want a pap or internal checks? I'm pretty sure the only reason you'd take them off is for a pap at your first visit (which you can decline) and internal checks further down the line (which you can also easily decline). I don't know your OB or hospital, but I don't see why this would be a problem. 

#3 of 10 Old 09-18-2011, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I will be declining all internal exams. That's what I mean. Along with a lot of other tests. I'm just expecting some resistance and want to be prepared.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#4 of 10 Old 09-18-2011, 09:15 AM

Yup. I'm having a homebirth but I get some prenatal care from an OB (I want the ultrasounds). I will not be taking my pants off until labor without obvious medical need.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#5 of 10 Old 09-18-2011, 01:47 PM

With my last baby I had dual care. The nurses got me ready to see the OB in the room and told me to undress, and I just didn't. I did have my group B strep culture taken at 35 weeks, but I asked not to be checked at that time. They can't very well check you with your pants on. This time I am just seeing the homebirth midwife, and she doesn't do any routine checks before labor.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
#6 of 10 Old 09-18-2011, 02:54 PM

I had a pap just before getting pregnant and I'll do the GBS test, other than that, no cervical checks.

Tanya treehugger.gif DH-Brian, DD Adri (8), DD Izzy (7), DS Ollie angel.gif (1/5/11 @ 17 weeks) and our rainbow1284.gif baby due April 12th, 2012.

Of all the lessons I did not learn as a child, or even as an adult; I learn through being, mother to my children. Through love and through pain, we are delivered and blessed!

#7 of 10 Old 09-18-2011, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

I'll do the step B test too, but it will be weird to have someone else swab, since I did the swabing part myself the last 2 times. Maybe the OB will let me do it myself again. I can always ask.

#8 of 10 Old 09-18-2011, 03:10 PM

I'm seeing midwives at a military hospital, so it's pretty exam-oriented.  I went in at 10+5 and they asked me to undress for a pap, pelvic exam, and vag u/s.  I just said "I won't be doing that" and they left me alone.  The midwife really wanted to see the baby (they're used to doing vag u/s on everyone in the 1st tri) and DH wanted to so she did a brief abdominal u/s.  It worked just fine, even though I wasn't planning to do any but the 20 week u/s.  Ah well.

They also do a routine breast exam and checked my fundal height, which I was fine with.  I just told her I don't really want anyone up in my hoo-ha yet.  I will do the GBS test when the time comes, but for now, I'm going to keep my pants on.

If I had a more compelling reason than "I don't feel like it" such as being an abuse or trauma survivor, I would make that clear to my care provider.

#9 of 10 Old 09-18-2011, 04:34 PM

Not wanting a stranger to have their hands in your vagina without obvious medical reason (and cervical checks are so spurious they don't count) is a compelling reason.

I'll be doing my GBS swab myself.

jenneology likes this.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#10 of 10 Old 09-20-2011, 08:29 PM

I'm there with you. I had my prenatal consult today but we didn't cover that I plan to refuse all vaginal exams. I don't think it will be a problem given my providers but I think it may be an uphill battle with an OB. I know it depends on the OB, but those OBs are few and far between.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page