Finding out sex at test? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-18-2011, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all,

We've decided to have the Nuchal Translucentcy test this pregnancy in the first trimester. We've never had the test or an ultrasound this early before. Do you know if they can see the sex of the baby this early? We never wanted to know the sex with our other two, but want to know this time. It's not a big deal if we can't find out yet. But it would be cool if we could find out this early.

Thanks,
L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

#2 of 8 Old 09-18-2011, 04:48 PM

Not sure this isn't helpful, but my midwife said that she couldn't see/differentiate between genitals at 10+5, but that she possibly could at 13 weeks or later.  I think the test is done in this window, right?  Like 12 weeks?  So I bet if they want to make a guess, they could....

#3 of 8 Old 09-18-2011, 05:27 PM

It's possible to discern sex that early, but it's hard. Basically the difference between boys and girls at 12 weeks is the angle of the genital tubule. I've known some people who get guesses at 12 weeks only to find out by 18 that they were totally wrong. One blog I read for instance was told that her triplets were likely to be all girls. She got 2 boys and a girl.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#4 of 8 Old 09-18-2011, 06:43 PM

At 12 weeks babies have both male and female genitalia, at which point it only starts to differentiate.  At least from what I've read in a couple books.

Tanya treehugger.gif DH-Brian, DD Adri (8), DD Izzy (7), DS Ollie angel.gif (1/5/11 @ 17 weeks) and our rainbow1284.gif baby due April 12th, 2012.

Of all the lessons I did not learn as a child, or even as an adult; I learn through being, mother to my children. Through love and through pain, we are delivered and blessed!

#5 of 8 Old 09-18-2011, 09:29 PM

http://www.ob-ultrasound.net/genderfaq.html

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#6 of 8 Old 09-19-2011, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! I won't expect to find out, even though it's going to be about 13 weeks. No big deal. At least I'll be able to put an end to the twin jokes, though!

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

#7 of 8 Old 09-19-2011, 01:08 PM

Well, with DD, at that same 13 wk US, the tech was willing to lay money on the fact that she was a girl, and he was right.  He had a really good view, and I don't know, I guess there was enough differentiation by that point and I wonder if he could see ovaries??  I would have been really pissed had someone guessed and been wrong.  I kind of didn't want to hear that early because of the chance of error but he actually asked us if we wanted to know so I guess the tech felt really confident!

Maybe just ask if they have a good feeling one way or another but be willing to wait until the 20-ish week US to confirm?

Unschooling mama alongside DH (05/01) to DD (5/05).  Expecting #2 spring 2012!

#8 of 8 Old 09-20-2011, 08:59 PM

Does anyone have any "nub" pictures at all? I think from the genital tubercle angle that my 12 weeker might be a girl, but not 100% sure!

Me (30); DH (35) geek.gif, married since Oct. 2008. Blessed with DS (2) babyboy.gif . On Femara and Endometrin for short luteal phase. Expecting #2 Apr 1, 2012! stork-boy.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page