Mothering Forum banner

Ruling out twins?

1K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  jenneology 
#1 ·
How important do you think it is to rule out twins before the 20 week ultrasound? I feel like its just a matter of wanting to know and if I can know then just as well as now, I think I'd prefer to wait. Also, lets talk other ways of diagnosing twins. Anyone know how/when its done?

#2 ·
It can be done now! Really as early as 5 or 6 weeks! Is there any way to get a non medical ultrasound to see whether you have two babies in there? BHCG levels are so varying that they would not be too helpful. And if the doctor hears one heart beat, they don't generally look around for another. So I'd say an ultrasound is really your only choice here!

#4 ·
Excessive fundal height: check

I really prefer to limit exposure to ultrasound and doppler, which is why I'm debating whether I want to get an early ultrasound/check with doppler or just wait until the 20 week ultrasound. Really, what good is it going to do for me as a parent to know if there are two there now? Eventually I'm going to find out, right?

#5 ·
Ashley, how excessive is excessive? Especially when multiparity can lead to excess growth, as can too much fluid, etc, etc. My uterus is out of control, but I don't even want to consider the possibility of twins only to find out something else is causing it. I'm intrigued to see what midwives (or midwifery students) would say is "suspicious" for them.

#6 ·
I'll try to answer your question, but first I have two questions for you: What week gestation are you in? Where do you feel your fundus right now?

#7 ·
I'm 12.5 weeks and my fundus is about one finger width above my belly button (could just feel it above my pubic bone at 10 weeks, by 11 it was half way to my belly button, and by 12 weeks it was a finger below my belly button). I know the feel of my fundus from the last 4 pregnancies, and I've never measured more than 2 weeks ahead (with a retroverted uterus, it's never even been out of the pelvic cavity this early), but we're finding heart beats way up there and feeling movement way up there too (definitely movement, it increases with certain sounds or poking at my belly), so I KNOW I'm not mistaken about where it is LOL.

Okay, that was meant to be a short answer, but nothing I do is quick and easy these days...*sigh*

#8 ·
Any chance your due date is really wrong?

A friend of mine was measuring really ahead like that in her last pregnancy and it was a singleton born at 38 weeks. So it could just be weird, or twins, or your dates are off. I'd get an ultrasound if I were you.

#9 ·
I'm really quite positive about my dates. it was the first cycle after a miscarriage. I had an early ultrasound which actually dated the baby exactly where I thought I was. Unfortunately even the tech said they were having trouble getting good pictures of anything else (uterus was so far back they couldn't see the ovaries, etc very well)...so I guess I don't rule out anything.

#10 ·
I'm thinking you could have twins.

Now, based on what you have been experiencing, I'm nervous that I might really have them too (I've had a strong intuition that I might from early on.) I'm 9 weeks today and I can definitely feel my fundus.

According to my midwife, if you suspect 2, it's important to be sure you are getting enough nutrition for 2. That's the most important thing this early. Be sure you are getting enough protein! Be sure you are getting lots of vitamins and nutrients from fresh foods. Nutrition is critical for carrying twins to a healthy full term. Make sure you are getting enough rest and fluids.

No matter how things unfold, I will not be confirming a twin pregnancy with an ultrasound until at least 20 weeks (and by then I'm sure I will have other reasons to suspect 2) because I too want to limit ultrasound and doppler use. Then I want to be sure there are 2 sacs, 2 healthy placentas, 2 healthy cords, etc... I want to be sure things are still OK to attempt a home birth. But if there are 2, I think I will go with an OB practice as a back up/shadow care just in case. I'm not 100% sure I feel comfortable delivering 2 at home. Plus the chances of needing medical help go up, so I want to have that back up ready to go.

#12 ·
My midwife thought I was pregnant with twins during my first pregnancy, but there was just one babe! I was consistently measuring 5 weeks ahead. I just have a really short torso and my belly has nowhere to go! I'm also pretty big this time around, but I think that's because of the above-mentioned reasons AND it's my second. :) At least, I'm hoping that's the case. I would not handle the idea of twins very well as this was a surprise pregnancy (though not unwanted!).

#13 ·
I am caving for the sono. I had a suspected ectopic and therefore went to have it confirmed by early sono. The said my hcg level was far too high for the day I KNEW I conceived, but too low for having done so the month before. There was no ectopic, but there were 2 sacs. They were borderline too early to pick up heartbeats but caught faint. They warned one often disappears, etc, and offered another sono at 9 weeks. After spending the next month vomiting profusely as my stomach expanded at a rate that is about 5x that of my last 3, I have decided to go ahead with the 9 wk sono (this coming Monday...due April 30) to see. One heartbeat was strong, so I felt like they were pre-warning me that the other would not be viable. We shall see.

I decided that after a friend loaned me Dr Luke's twin book and I realized how very important that early nutrition is to the growth of twins. That outweighed my normal aversion to sonos.

Good luck! I am anxious to see how many twins shake out.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieB View Post

No matter how things unfold, I will not be confirming a twin pregnancy with an ultrasound until at least 20 weeks (and by then I'm sure I will have other reasons to suspect 2) because I too want to limit ultrasound and doppler use. Then I want to be sure there are 2 sacs, 2 healthy placentas, 2 healthy cords, etc... I want to be sure things are still OK to attempt a home birth. But if there are 2, I think I will go with an OB practice as a back up/shadow care just in case. I'm not 100% sure I feel comfortable delivering 2 at home. Plus the chances of needing medical help go up, so I want to have that back up ready to go.
I talked to an OB about this yesterday and she was clear to state that it can be very difficult at the 20 week ultrasound to determine if there are two sacs, placentas, etc. Her strong recommendation was to do the early dating ultrasound to confirm arrangements of sacs/placentas. If that's the case, I am considering trading the early ultrasound to determine twin placement and forgoing the 20 week ultrasound (the only reason why we do it is because my husband really wants to know the gender). If I can talk him in to making that trade, I know I would be much more comfortable.

#15 ·
Wow, there are a lot of suspected twins around here! I'm kind of glad. I feel like I'm in good company and we'll have each other to learn from and support each other.

#16 ·
Hello!

The 20 week ultrasound is your baby's first medical check up. As it is every woman's right to say no to a test, the full anatomical scan may not be the wisest to give up! A first trimester scan is really only for dating, and possibly in your case, twin identification. It cannot see all the organs, heart development or placental location in relation to the birth canal.

I just wanted to put this info out there to make sure everyone knew that switching a first trimester scan for a second trimester scan is by no means equivalent. They each have their own very separate roles in your little one's health.
smile.gif

#17 ·
As I stated, the only reason why my husband and I do the 20 week ultrasound is because of his preference to know the gender of the baby. It is not our intent to do the full diagnostic ultrasound, so any trade we would be making would be exchanging a frivolous, non medical reason for a valid, medical reason. My desire is to not expose my unborn children to any ultrasound waves via imaging or doppler. The 20 week gender check is the only exception I make for a typical, healthy pregnancy and I even prefer not to do that.

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenneology View Post

Excessive fundal height: check

I really prefer to limit exposure to ultrasound and doppler, which is why I'm debating whether I want to get an early ultrasound/check with doppler or just wait until the 20 week ultrasound. Really, what good is it going to do for me as a parent to know if there are two there now? Eventually I'm going to find out, right?
Using your own logic, what good is it going to do for you as a parent to know if your baby has a penis or vagina? Eventually you!re going to find out. If you're wanting to limit exposures, I would not have the 20 week one just to find out the sex, it's really not important. Plus, if you do it as a medical ultrasound and not one of those "fun" ones, the tech won't just aim in at the goods and stop. They're going to be taking measurements because the reason for your 20 week ultrasound is to look for problems-it's not a "gender ultrasound" as a lot if people like to call it.

Good luck with your decision!

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by moaningminny View Post

Using your own logic, what good is it going to do for you as a parent to know if your baby has a penis or vagina? Eventually you!re going to find out. If you're wanting to limit exposures, I would not have the 20 week one just to find out the sex, it's really not important. Plus, if you do it as a medical ultrasound and not one of those "fun" ones, the tech won't just aim in at the goods and stop. They're going to be taking measurements because the reason for your 20 week ultrasound is to look for problems-it's not a "gender ultrasound" as a lot if people like to call it.

Good luck with your decision!
From jenneology's prior posts, it appears that she knows full well what's involved in the 20 week ultrasound and doesn't prefer to have them, but is compromising with her husband getting a scan to check for the gender. She called it frivolous!

#21 ·
Are you willing to take it up with my husband for me?

I know full well. If I were the only parent making decisions for my pregnancies, I wouldn't be getting the 20 week ultrasound. But since I really do like my husband and appreciate not being a single parent, there are some things that I just don't fight that hard on. Instead I'll save the energy when it comes to circumcision. I feel much more strongly about my son keeping all of his parts than I do whether or not I know which parts he may or may not have at birth.

#22 ·
Quote:

I know full well. If I were the only parent making decisions for my pregnancies, I wouldn't be getting the 20 week ultrasound. But since I really do like my husband and appreciate not being a single parent, there are some things that I just don't fight that hard on. Instead I'll save the energy when it comes to circumcision. I feel much more strongly about my son keeping all of his parts than I do whether or not I know which parts he may or may not have at birth.
Nicely said! :)

#23 ·
yes, jenneology, nicely said. that is also why I get the 20 week scan.

#24 ·
Quote:

This sounds like us. I don't want to know the gender this time around, but DH does. I have to respect that he has a vested interest in this pregnancy, too, and he has offered many concessions to me in the raising of our children (e.g. no circ). So, I will likely have an ultrasound in the 2nd trimester for this reason alone.

#25 ·
I particularly don't want to know the gender this time either. We already have a boy and a girl, all the supplies, materials and clothing for both so the reasons before for knowing no longer exist. I really would like to be surprised. He really doesn't like surprises period so he doesn't want to be surprised in this way either. My concession is that he can know but he can't tell me or anyone else either, and it will be up to him to not slip and make it known. I don't know how well it will work, but we're going to try it.

At this point, it more important for me to know what to do going forward regarding twins. Gender of baby or babies doesn't matter, but knowing the facts about twins and what my likelihood is for them, and what likelihood they have for a healthy pregnancy matters most. I've been gathering info on rates of TTTS and various arrangement of placentas and sacs. Next I need to start reading up on twin birth at home. Anyone have some good resources for that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.