I'm getting sick, what do i do!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2011, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've just come down with a really sore throat and I know I'm coming down with something.  The question is, what do I do?  I know a lot of over the counter meds are off limits for pregnant women and usually I just take a little cold FX and some extra vitamins and I'm okay, but I think this time is the real deal.  Any advice?  What is safe for me to take? (i'm only about 9.5 weeks along)

happily married to my rock and roll cowboy guitar.gif since 2009, living the dream with our Rosebud, 26/04/12 joy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 08:01 PM

cell salts - Kali Mur, I think (#5?) - for sore throat colds.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:03 PM

When I get sick during pregnancy, I drink hot lemonade with honey for the throat, use a warm mist vaporizer with mint oil in it for the stuffiness, and take lots of Vitamin C and/or elderberry to encourage rapid healing (depending on what's causing it).

I hope you get feeling better very quickly!!!

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

thanks guys!  I'm loving the hot lemonade idea and thinking of making a strong ginger tea with lemon, too.  I don't know what cell salts are but i'm looking them up. :)

happily married to my rock and roll cowboy guitar.gif since 2009, living the dream with our Rosebud, 26/04/12 joy.gif

Old 09-22-2011, 06:22 AM

http://www.simplyjen.com/2011/02/jens-wonder-lemonade.html     

I love this drink! I do not have liquid cayenne so I use powdered and mix it with the maple syrup first to break it up better. Feel better soon!

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

Old 09-22-2011, 05:21 PM

I always go for the emergen-c...... I don't know if it really helps but that's just what I do! I start with drinking 1 at night then another mid-day depending on how I feel. I was able to make it through my last pregnancy without any super-colds.... I'm hoping to be so lucky with this one as well.

I'd also drink hot tea with lemon and honey to keep up with fluids. GL!

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

Old 09-22-2011, 09:02 PM

I second the Emergen-C 

I take ACV, honey and water about 2-3 times per day

You can also take a dropper full of goldenseal & echinacea every 2 hours

I also do hot water with lemon and honey.

Wife to my wonderful husband, Mommy to Aiden and Charlie, Audrey and baby Kate.
::

Old 09-23-2011, 07:20 AM

From what I have read, goldenseal is not recommended in pregnancy.  I thing everything else you listed would be really helpful, though!

http://www.motherandchildhealth.com/Prenatal/susun/herbs_avoid_weed.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMarshall View Post

I second the Emergen-C 

I take ACV, honey and water about 2-3 times per day

You can also take a dropper full of goldenseal & echinacea every 2 hours

I also do hot water with lemon and honey.

Believing, doting, simplifying, caffeinating, baking, midwife in training, and mothering like a dirty hippie. tea6.gif

baby.gif #3 due in April!

Old 09-29-2011, 03:07 PM

I take D3 4,000 IU's and it starts to kick out a cold QUICKLY! I swear by it. I had it recommended by an OB while I had an infant and my partner had swine flu. I took 4,000 IU's a day and neither of us got so much as a cold. My partner was SICK SICK. He is a diabetic and anytime he starts to feel sick I give him some D3. He doesn't always listen. Anyway hopefully something here works and you are feeling better soon.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:52 AM

stay away from all sugars and foods that are high on the glycemic index (they act just like sugar in the body)~sugar, honey, hfcs, maple syrup, agave, fruit juice, grains etc... All sugars a deleterious to your immune system and cause it to function poorly. Stay away from boxed 'foods', eat things that look like they did when they were growing especially lots of green leafies (kale, chard, brocc, romaine, etc). Drink lots of clean water to help flush the nasties out of your system. Gargle with warm salt waterr to soothe your sore throat.

I also agree with taking d3, vite c (but dont overdo it, too much can cause birth defects), vite a from natural sources like liver (again too much can cause problems).

Also get lots of sleep, manage stress, good handwashing, and all those other basics that are so important.

heartbeat.gif

Old 10-01-2011, 09:52 AM

Moss, any resources that suggest Vitamin C causes birth defects?16 I'd never heard that and was unable to find anything online other than a suggestion by doctors that high doses help prevent miscarriage (contrary to rumor that it can cause natural abortion).16 They're recommending very high doses and there seem to be no side effects.16 If there have been studies done I'd like to see what they say.

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzusplace View Post

Moss, any resources that suggest Vitamin C causes birth defects?16 I'd never heard that and was unable to find anything online other than a suggestion by doctors that high doses help prevent miscarriage (contrary to rumor that it can cause natural abortion).16 They're recommending very high doses and there seem to be no side effects.16 If there have been studies done I'd like to see what they say.

interesting.

i first encountered the concept that high doses of vite c can cause birth defects on these boards several years ago and did research at that time to confirm for myself.  personally i am comfortable taking 500mg/day right now, but i would not go beyond that.  i firmly believe in orthomolecular medicine and the ability to use vites and minerals in conjunction with diet to prevent/cure pretty much any chronic ailment, so i'm definitely not an 'anti-vitamin' type of person!

can you post up the links to data suggesting that high doses of vite c are benign/beneficial to a fetus?  i would be interested in looking at that.

heartbeat.gif

User Tag List