Which carseat are you getting? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2011, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yeah, Radian for as long as LO can sit in it rear-facing. I assume ERF = extended rear-facing? 

Another point in favor of the bucket, I think, is that there are three different cars baby will regularly be riding in, plus a 4th on occasion. Having extra bases and just one bucket may be cheaper and much less of a hassle. I anticipate dropping DH baby off with my mom two days a week and me picking her up 2-3x per week. 

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2011, 07:16 AM

We only had one base for our bucket. I did not think it was a big deal to just thread the seatbelt trough the seat without a base when we switched cars. It took a minute longer, but wasn't difficult. I don't know if this works with every seat or if it effects the safety of the seat. I guess my point is that you don't need a base for every care, just one or two for the most-used cars.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
Old 10-03-2011, 11:54 AM

My DD (almost 3) is RF in the Britax Boulevard. We love this seat! But it definitely wouldn't have worked for her as a newborn, she was tiny. We have her Graco bucket, but it never seemed that comfortable. I'd rather not use it for the new baby because DD was never happy in it. I just don't know if I should throw money away on a new infant seat or get the True Fit or My Ride for the new baby. If money was no problem, I'd get the Chicco for the new baby, then another Boulevard when the baby outgrew it.

Do you feel certain the My Ride or True Fit will fit all newborns safely and work well for ERF toddlers?

Mama to my 2 sweet baby chicks! DD1 is 3 and DD2 born April '12.
They make me joy.gif
Old 10-03-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieL View Post

We have tentatively chosen Chicco KeyFit for an infant seat and a Radian for post-infancy. I wish I had some idea of whether I would really want to use the infant carrier. I plan to babywear as much as I possibly can, but friends say that the carrier is essential for getting baby in and out of cars without disturbing sleep. I have no idea how to predict whether their prediction will be right for our family. :-/

I will probably be taking baby from our house to my mom's twice weekly, and I expect we will be traveling on a plane with baby well before baby outgrows the infant seat. THoughts?

I never thought about the sleeping thing! The last thing I want to do is wake a sleeping baby! I was totally leaning towards a convertible but now I don't know.

They make me joy.gif
Old 10-03-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaChick View Post

Do you feel certain the My Ride or True Fit will fit all newborns safely and work well for ERF toddlers?

I can tell you 100% for sure that the True Fit will fit a full-term newborn that is at least 6 lb. 13 oz. and 18 3/4'' (like my DD was).  It also will RF a 27lb. 35'' 32 month old toddler (like my DD is now) with plenty of shell above the head.  We also have a Boulevard, which I love--the ONLY downsides to the TrueFit that I can think of are: 1) no pad on the crotch strap and 2) it's wide, so you can't drag it down the aisle of an airplane.  From the info below, it looks like the MyRide is even wider (external seat width).  It also looks like the MyRide doesn't have an adjustable buckle position, but the lowest harness height is 1/2 inch lower. I felt like the shorter buckle position gave a tighter fit with a newborn, but I haven't tried the MyRide.   HTH!

Specs on the True Fit from car-seat.org:

Measurements:
Lowest Harness Height: 7.5 in. w/ infant padding; 9 in. without padding
Highest Harness Height: 17.5 in.
Shortest Buckle Position: 5.25 in.
Longest Buckle Position: 6.5 in.
Crotch Buckle Length: 5 in.
Internal Seating Depth: 12 in.
Internal Seating Height: 19.5 in. to red line / 26.5 in. to top of removable headrest
Internal Bottom Width: 12.5 in.
Internal Shoulder Width: 12-15 in.
External Seat Width: 19.5 in.
Seat Weight: 18.5 lb.

Specs on the MyRide from car-seat.org:

Measurements:
Lowest Harness Height: 7 in. w/ infant insert / 8.5 in. (w/o insert)
Highest Harness Height: 16.5 in.
Shortest Buckle Position: 6.5 in.
Longest Buckle Position: 6.5 in.
Crotch Buckle Length: 6 in.
Internal Seating Depth: 12 in.
Internal Seating Height: 24.5 in.
Internal Bottom Width: 10.5 in.
Internal Shoulder Width: 11 in.
External Seat Width: 20 in.
Seat Weight: 15.8 lb.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post

Quote:

I can tell you 100% for sure that the True Fit will fit a full-term newborn that is at least 6 lb. 13 oz. and 18 3/4'' (like my DD was).  It also will RF a 27lb. 35'' 32 month old toddler (like my DD is now) with plenty of shell above the head.  We also have a Boulevard, which I love--the ONLY downsides to the TrueFit that I can think of are: 1) no pad on the crotch strap and 2) it's wide, so you can't drag it down the aisle of an airplane.  From the info below, it looks like the MyRide is even wider (external seat width).  It also looks like the MyRide doesn't have an adjustable buckle position, but the lowest harness height is 1/2 inch lower. I felt like the shorter buckle position gave a tighter fit with a newborn, but I haven't tried the MyRide.   HTH!

That helps A LOT! Thanks, justKate. Sounds like the True Fit would work great for us.  

They make me joy.gif

User Tag List