Which carseat are you getting? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 09-22-2011, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have the Britax roundabout for dd1- who is now 3. Looking at giving that to the new baby and getting a Frontier or a Radian for dd1. Any thoughts? Have you had these seats?

What are you going to get? Something better to look at?

homescholing traveling mama of two ('08 and '12) expecting May 2015!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 36 Old 09-22-2011, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am using my DS's Chicco Keyfit30 for the new babe. I feel like a convertible carseat is so big for a newborn and new babe. I didn't graduate my DS into a convertible until he was 18 months or so (he's 28 months and 25 pounds, still rearfacing). It's all a matter of preference and totally depends on how big of a kid you have, but I prefer infant carseats for the first year at least. 

#3 of 36 Old 09-22-2011, 07:33 AM

I'm using DD's infant seat for the new baby and then getting a Combi Coccorro when it's ready to go to a convertible (probably 4-6 months, my baby was big, I hate the buckets, and DD HATED the infant seat after awhile; she needed more room).

DD is still in her Britax Marathon

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#4 of 36 Old 09-22-2011, 08:00 AM

We're being thrifty and going to use the Triumph convertible I saved.  I love that seat!  The infant carriers never lasted long for my babes so seems like it would be a waste of money for us.  Plus carrying baby around in it outside of the car....just such a hassle.

Tanya treehugger.gif DH-Brian, DD Adri (8), DD Izzy (7), DS Ollie angel.gif (1/5/11 @ 17 weeks) and our rainbow1284.gif baby due April 12th, 2012.

Of all the lessons I did not learn as a child, or even as an adult; I learn through being, mother to my children. Through love and through pain, we are delivered and blessed!

#5 of 36 Old 09-22-2011, 08:54 AM

I want a new infant car seat.  I try very hard not to carry my babies around in it, but this babe will still be a baby through a cold Canadian winter, and we don't have a garage, so it will be nice to be able to bundle up warm in the house and then carry the baby to the van.  I've had a Graco Snug ride, and both my boys grew out of it by 4 months. That won't do. So, I'm going to get a Peg Perego this time. The weight and height rating are much higher than the Graco. By the time it warms up in the spring I will switch to a convertible. 

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
#6 of 36 Old 09-22-2011, 10:46 AM

We've never been able to use the infant seats for more than a few months, so I won't be getting one this time. I think we'll probably go with one of the seats I've looked at like the Graco Nautilus or the Alpha Omega Elite. They are all in one car seats that go all the way up to booster seats. The Elite especially looks like it has lots of removable padding to make baby snug when they are small.

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

#7 of 36 Old 09-22-2011, 11:35 AM

zuzusplace-We have a Graco Nautilus for my son. Be careful-this seat does not go rear-facing! We bought it when he was 3. It is considered a 3-in-1 because the 5-point harness goes up to 65 lbs. It can then be used as a high back booster or a backless booster.

We bought DD a Graco MYRide 65 when she outgrew the bucket, and we really like it. I think this is a great seat that goes from newborn up to 65 pounds. It is also good for extended rear-facing. The problem I have with these two seats is that they are so wide we cannot fit a 3rd seat across in the back of our LeSabre. We will be buying a van.

I like the Chicco KetFit 30 infant seat. I hate spending money, though. It would be totally worth it if I knew we would have another baby. I just don't know.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
#8 of 36 Old 09-22-2011, 11:37 AM

We've been back and forth a lot but I think we've decided on this Britax car seat!

#9 of 36 Old 09-22-2011, 11:58 AM

We had a Britax Roundabout for DS, which he outgrew at 2 yrs old. We'll use that for the baby, just as we used it for him.

At 4 yrs, he's in a TruFit.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#10 of 36 Old 09-22-2011, 12:49 PM

I'll be using the Baby Trend infant seat I used with my first son. It wasn't that expensive and I felt it was great. Granted my son was only in it for 5-6 months before I moved him into the convertible Britax Marathon.... he disliked the car SO MUCH I figured being in the bigger seat would help. It did, but only a bit.

I love both seats and feel I got good value for the $$ I spent. I've taken off the cover on the Britax and washed several times and it's holding up wonderfully!

Now I wonder what to do when the new baby needs to move out of the infant seat. Another Marathon? The combination booster seats from Britax are much more expensive then a regular convertible seat..... I guess I have plenty of time to figure that out!

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

#11 of 36 Old 09-22-2011, 01:06 PM

We have DS snugride, that we'll use as long as DC2 is within the limits.  I too like the bucket for our lifestyle and winters, and we have it, so why not.

I have plenty of time to puzzle the rest out.  All depends on how the two grow, you know?

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

#12 of 36 Old 09-22-2011, 02:20 PM

I'm torn between two strategies.

1) DD (2.5, RFing) is now in a True Fit and a Britax Boulevard.  She was small at birth and fit the True Fit fine, so I'm thinking second babe will too.  We put new babe in her True Fit and get her a new Radian XTSL .  This would be the most cost effective long-term, because we'd only be buying one car seat up front (so total cost $215ish).  I was very happy with the True Fit for an infant (removable head rest, easy to adjust incline), but we lived in south florida at the time, so I don't know what the weather will be like here in April.

2) DD stays in the two seats she's in (she's small, so at this point I'm thinking they'll last until she's ready for a harnessed booster).  New baby gets a bucket seat with a base for each car.  I'm not big on bucket babies, and love carriers, but the bucket might be easier for running errands with two, and I don't know how cold it gets in April here.  Right now I'm considering the Chicco Keyfit and the Britax bucket, although I saw the Peg Perego bucket the other day and it looked pretty nice.... I haven't really researched them like I have convertibles yet, but I do know that we had a bucket for a short time with DD as a second seat, and I never liked it. It was a Graco, and I felt like the padding was sort of inadequate. 

For those researching, here is an awesome resource: Car Seat Quick Information from Car-seat.org  It has the weights and measurements of all of the popular seats, so you can see how much the seat you're considering will weigh; whether it will fit next to your other seats, etc.  This is also helpful if you plan to fly with your car seat--some are too wide to fit comfortably in airplane seats. 

#13 of 36 Old 09-22-2011, 07:45 PM

I am going to have to start thinking about this too.  Taking notes here.  Right now I have a 3.5 yr old and 16 months old still in carseats.  The 16 month old used the plain ole Graco Snug Ride infant seat when she was born.  Now she is rear facing in a convertible and 3.5 is front facing in a convertible.  They both sit in the middle row of our Odyssey.  My 12 yr old rotates from the middle seat on the middle row between them, and the front. 

Monday we find out if the two sacs on the 6 week sono are now 2 babies.  HCG has gone up up up, so we know that at least 1 is kicking.  So if there is 1, I think I just use that infant seat 1 more time, put it in the middle seat with the 16 mnth old (who will be almost 2 then) and move the 3.5 yr old (who will be 4 then, to the back row.  TO get to her I will have to remove the middle seat on the middle row and slide the other over.  This will give me 2 seats in the very back and one in the front for 12 yr old DD and hubby.  If there are 2 babies (lord help me), They will go in the middle 2 seats, the 2 middle girls go in the back, 12 yr old can either squeeze back there with them or sit in the front.

My point in thinking that all out, ;-) was because I THINK if there are 2, I may upgrade carseat from the huge wide ones we have now, to the brands that are known for be much more narrow, just for moving room.

#14 of 36 Old 09-23-2011, 04:46 AM

For those of you with two cars, do you put car-seats in both?

DH and I drive small cars: Mazda Protege and Honda Civic. With DS, we just have one carseat in the Civic. DH and I switch cars everyday, because we take turns dropping DS off and picking him up at daycare. We work at the same place, so we just have to remember to tell each other where the cars are parked (and for the Honda, exchange the key, because we're down to one key for that car!).

I just can't imagine having 4 car-seats in 2 cars!

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#15 of 36 Old 09-23-2011, 06:16 AM

This carseat stuff sure gets involved!

momma2be-thanks for sharing that Baby Trend seat. I would like to get an infant seat that goes to 30 lbs, but I'm not sure we can swing the cost of the more expensive seats.

With our first, we did not get a bucket. We thought we would save money and just buy one seat that would last for awhile. We bought an Evenflo Titan seat that was around $100. We liked that seat just fine, but we ended up wanting a second seat for the other car. We bought an inexpensive Cosco seat from Walmart for around $45. I have since had a carseat safety inspector say that they especially like this seat because it is easy to install and people generally use it correctly.

When we had DD, we had a Graco bucket passed along to us by my sister. I was against the bucket with my first, but it was nice to have a safe place for the baby while keeping track of a toddler. For example, I would get baby in the seat out of the car first and set her down next to the car while I got the toddler out. I didn't have to worry about DS running off while I got the baby out, and I have both hands to get the toddler out. We have since passed that seat along to another sister, and I think it is expired by now anyway.

When DD outgrew the bucket, we got the My Ride 65, hoping that will last. I then wanted a better seat for DS, so we bought the Nautilus. So where I thought I would save money by just buying one seat for DS, we have now purchased 3!

We keep the two Graco seats in the Buick that is the family car that I mostly drive. DH still has the Cosco seat in his Saturn. For now, either kid fits in that seat. I am home with the kids. If I go somewhere and they stay with DH, I take the Saturn. If he takes just DS with him on an errand, he takes the Saturn. Basically, the Buick is DD's car. Wherever she is, the Buick is!  We do have a plain high back booster that someone gave us, and that will go in DH's car when DS outgrows the convertible seat.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
#16 of 36 Old 09-23-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASusan View Post

For those of you with two cars, do you put car-seats in both?

Ugh.  Yeah.  We'll only have a seat for new baby in my car for a while, because s/he'll be with me full-time for quite a while.  But after that we'll do two in each.  But in your situation, I can see only doing seats in one.

#17 of 36 Old 09-23-2011, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm in the small 2-door car category, so I'm toying with the idea of getting an Evenflo Momentum 65 DLX (convertible) for my car. DH thinks it's weird to not get an infant carrier but I'm not thrilled about the idea of wedging that thing in and out of my car or lugging it around. The only time it makes sense to me is if we happen to go out to eat, then we wouldn't have to take turns holding baby while trying to eat. Otherwise I'd rather carry baby (with a sling or whatever, haven't researched that part much yet) when we're out and about. My only real reservation is the hot hot summer months that will come with an infant and leaving a seat in the car in the hot sun then having to put baby in it. Sure, bitter cold winter will follow, but the cold scares me less than the hot hot (and baby will be a few months older by that point). Somehow all the other babies in town manage both 95+ and -25 temps in short succession so I assume I'll figure it out. :-)

I think I will make the trek to a BRU in a couple months and try some seats out in my car.

fairy.gif (DSD 10yo) angel2.gif (29wks - 2/2012) babygirl.gifrainbow1284.gif (1/2013)

#18 of 36 Old 09-23-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autumngrey View Post

The only time it makes sense to me is if we happen to go out to eat, then we wouldn't have to take turns holding baby while trying to eat. Otherwise I'd rather carry baby (with a sling or whatever, haven't researched that part much yet) when we're out and about. My only real reservation is the hot hot summer months that will come with an infant and leaving a seat in the car in the hot sun then having to put baby in it. Sure, bitter cold winter will follow, but the cold scares me less than the hot hot (and baby will be a few months older by that point). 

As for the heat, DD was born in south FL and we never had a problem with the seat, even though I worried about it.  I had tried to avoid parking in direct sun, and I would turn the A/C on full blast on my drive from work to pick her up, which usually cooled things off fine.  If we went shopping and had to park in the sun, I would turn the A/C on, get in the back seat and BF or change her while the car cooled down.

Here's my DD's second meal "out."  Basically you just put a napkin over their head.  She NEVER tolerated being in a bucket--that wasn't close enough to the action.

IMGP2119.JPG

#19 of 36 Old 09-24-2011, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I figured the kid's got to get used to the seat staying in the car eventually regardless, but I suppose there are things to pass the time while waiting for the car to cool in shopping parking lots. Awesome idea. My MIL gave me a slightly weird face today when I told her I was thinking about skipping the infant carrier, but nowhere near as weird as when I told her I was thinking about cloth diapering. :-)

fairy.gif (DSD 10yo) angel2.gif (29wks - 2/2012) babygirl.gifrainbow1284.gif (1/2013)

#20 of 36 Old 09-25-2011, 03:50 PM

Lurking from the March DDC :)

Just make sure your Triumph seat isn't expired (most seats are only good for 5 yrs). And I don't know about the Triumph specifically but most convertibles do NOT fit newborns...even if they say so (Britax for example does not fit newborns). Reason for this is because of proper angle (need the proper recline for newborns or it could cut off their airway) and the strap slot should be at or just below their shoulders rear facing.

Sorry, I couldn't read and not reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiryFairy View Post

We're being thrifty and going to use the Triumph convertible I saved.  I love that seat!  The infant carriers never lasted long for my babes so seems like it would be a waste of money for us.  Plus carrying baby around in it outside of the car....just such a hassle.

AiryFairy likes this.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#21 of 36 Old 09-25-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treehugginhippie View Post

Just make sure your Triumph seat isn't expired (most seats are only good for 5 yrs). And I don't know about the Triumph specifically but most convertibles do NOT fit newborns...even if they say so (Britax for example does not fit newborns). Reason for this is because of proper angle (need the proper recline for newborns or it could cut off their airway) and the strap slot should be at or just below their shoulders rear facing.

No experience with the Triumph, but I agree that Britax seats won't properly fit most newborns because the lowest strap height setting will still have the straps above the infant's shoulders instead of just below as required for RFing seats.  The website I linked earlier gives lowest strap setting in inches for most (all?) of the Britax seats.

#22 of 36 Old 09-26-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugginhippie View Post

Thanks for saying something.  I forgot that carseats expire now.  So there is a problem with convertibles not fitting newborns properly?  I didn't know that but I also never used a convertible for an infant before.  My Triumph starts at 5 pounds and has the same recline as an infant carrier.  Seems it should work...if it wasn't expired and stored in the garage after numerous hot summers and bitter cold winters :(  I would much rather spend the money on a great convertible seat, than on an infant carrier.  Time to start my search!

Tanya treehugger.gif DH-Brian, DD Adri (8), DD Izzy (7), DS Ollie angel.gif (1/5/11 @ 17 weeks) and our rainbow1284.gif baby due April 12th, 2012.

Of all the lessons I did not learn as a child, or even as an adult; I learn through being, mother to my children. Through love and through pain, we are delivered and blessed!

#23 of 36 Old 09-26-2011, 01:02 PM

Yeah, there are not many convertibles that fit newborns. It's kinda sad you have to be your own detective to get a convertilbe that truly fits newborns. Off the top of my head I know the Graco My Ride and First Years True Fit fits newborns. I have a My Ride for my now 3 yr old and LOVE it. I'll be skipping the bucket too this time and getting a My Ride. carseat.org is a great forum to visit to get a good list of choices. Oh and of course the Family Safety forum here on MDC too :)

Quote:

Thanks for saying something.  I forgot that carseats expire now.  So there is a problem with convertibles not fitting newborns properly?  I didn't know that but I also never used a convertible for an infant before.  My Triumph starts at 5 pounds and has the same recline as an infant carrier.  Seems it should work...if it wasn't expired and stored in the garage after numerous hot summers and bitter cold winters :(  I would much rather spend the money on a great convertible seat, than on an infant carrier.  Time to start my search!

AiryFairy likes this.

#24 of 36 Old 09-27-2011, 05:30 AM

We bought a Radian for Willa and have been using that since the very beginning.  Close friends of ours bought one too because they knew we'd be needing occasional rides (we don't actually own a car) and figured it would be easier to keep one with them.  Now, with another little one on the way, a Radian at each house doesn't make any sense so they gave us the one they bought.  So now we have two! I believe they expire after 8 years so we should be set for another 5 years or so.  We are quite fond of the Radian, but they are heavy if you are taking them in and out of cars like we do, and they are quite tall so they take up a fair amount of space when rear-facing.  They are nice and slender though and we've had no problem getting one in the back seat of a Honda FIT with two adults as well, so with an infant rear-facing and a 3.5 year old forward facing I anticipate still getting a good fit with one adult across the back.

knit.gifLaura, mama to my wonderful Wilhelmina (11/08) energy.gif and my precious Peregrine (4/12) babyboy.gif

#25 of 36 Old 09-27-2011, 08:46 AM

We've decided on 1st years True Fit.  It's nice they can do extended rear-facing and be harnessed until 65lbs.  Walmart has a really decent price on it too, around $140!  Thanks for your help, TreeHugginHippie :)

#26 of 36 Old 09-27-2011, 11:58 AM

I think you'll be really happy with the True Fit.  One of my favorite things about it is that the headrest is removable, so you have more room for the front seat passenger to scoot their seat back, at least until the babe reaches a certain size (can't remember--20 lbs or to a line marked on the seat, i think?).  DD is still comfortably RFing in one (the older model) at 2.5 yrs.

AiryFairy likes this.

#27 of 36 Old 09-27-2011, 03:53 PM

smile.gif You're welcome. BTW OT- can I mention how much I love MDC? I've learned so much here that I would've never known otherwise. I love sharing info w/ others because of how much I've gained from reading theirs.

Quote:

We've decided on 1st years True Fit.  It's nice they can do extended rear-facing and be harnessed until 65lbs.  Walmart has a really decent price on it too, around $140!  Thanks for your help, TreeHugginHippie :)

#28 of 36 Old 09-27-2011, 04:14 PM

I'm considering the True Fit myself, although I still really like the looks of the Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite. Good thing I have a few months to decide LOL

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

#29 of 36 Old 09-30-2011, 05:11 AM

We have tentatively chosen Chicco KeyFit for an infant seat and a Radian for post-infancy. I wish I had some idea of whether I would really want to use the infant carrier. I plan to babywear as much as I possibly can, but friends say that the carrier is essential for getting baby in and out of cars without disturbing sleep. I have no idea how to predict whether their prediction will be right for our family. :-/

I will probably be taking baby from our house to my mom's twice weekly, and I expect we will be traveling on a plane with baby well before baby outgrows the infant seat. THoughts?

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#30 of 36 Old 09-30-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RosieL View Post

We have tentatively chosen Chicco KeyFit for an infant seat and a Radian for post-infancy. I wish I had some idea of whether I would really want to use the infant carrier. I plan to babywear as much as I possibly can, but friends say that the carrier is essential for getting baby in and out of cars without disturbing sleep. I have no idea how to predict whether their prediction will be right for our family. :-/

I will probably be taking baby from our house to my mom's twice weekly, and I expect we will be traveling on a plane with baby well before baby outgrows the infant seat. THoughts?

I think it sort of depends on your baby, too. If you're doing a bucket, I think that's a good way to go (KeyFit, then Radian, especially if you plan to ERF).  The KeyFit is relatively light weight (9.5 lbs.) for a decent seat.

ETA: re. flying.  We flew with DD when she was in a bucket, and it was okay.  Definitely easier than flying with a convertible.  We checked the base and used the belt over the seat method of strapping it in.  We were about 50/50 getting a seat for free when DD was >2 by "chancing it" and having the seat JIC. They only give you like a $20 discount!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page