Mothering Forum banner

Freezing cold

1K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  adoremybabe 
#1 ·
I'm cold all of the time. Anyone else experiencing this? I haven't been active at all due to extreme exhaustion and my diet sucks. I think this is related, but who knows. I had a blood panel done around 6 weeks and it must have looked good (no thyroid issues or anything) because I never heard back from the doc.

Anyway, anyone else cold?

#2 ·
No but I would ask to see those blood results anyway. Any chance you have a baseline thyroid level to compare to? I'm always amazed how many things get glossed over as 'normal' even if it's not normal for you or really on the verge of being abnormal. You should discuss your symptoms with your care provider because even if your test value didn't set off bells and whistles, the combination of a borderline test result with symptoms may be enough to cause your provider concern.

Don't mean to offend (I have close relatives in the mainstream medical field) but I've found (and actually, so have MD's I know) that naturopathic physicians (especially if they specialize in that area) are often much more familiar with nutritional approaches to treating symptoms than are allopathic physicians. I've often seen both naturopaths and MD's in tandem and would definitely consider that during pregnancy to cover nutritional concerns.

My midwives reminded me that even though it was possible my lackluster diet while feeling crappy during pg was contributing to my fatigue, that fatigue is also a completely normal experience of 1st trimester pregnancy in and of itself. So, it may just be par for the course but covering your bases isn't a bad idea! Sorry I don't have any specific nutrition ideas for those specific symptoms but I'm sure others do! Hope you get some relief soon!

#3 ·
Thanks for the response! I don't have a baseline level to compare it to. I don't even know if my thyroid was tested the last time I was pregnant (I went through a birthing center). I have an appointment on October 3rd to go over the test results and hear the heartbeat, so I think I can wait until then to figure out what's going on. I'm incredibly leery of doctors normally - I've had so many situations where I knew something was wrong and was sent home only to end up in the ER (not pregnancy related stuff). In any event, I'm open to diet-related suggestions. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm living off of bean, cheese and rice burritos and fruit. Meat makes me nauseous...which is frustrating because I'm used to having meat all of the time. :-/

#6 ·
Sally, A while back I found a post here on Mothering regarding a new "Normal" for the thyroid. Apparently, the endocrinology society changed their guidelines but name mainstream doctors aren't up to date. I will see if I can find it.

Aside from that, I thought about posting this same thread this morning. I have been getting the chills several times a day. They can get pretty severe....even DH thinks I look funny. I've also been EXTREMELY tired this pregnancy. I could easily take 3 naps most days and I have been getting more sleep at night. At my next appointment I want to have my levels checked and then I plan on taking that info to my naturopath doctor. Even if I am in the 2's or 3's I will seek help. I know that those numbers should not be severe enough to cause harm to my baby but I want to feel healthy. I need to for my other 3 kiddos!

#8 ·
Thanks for the link. Wow, I wonder if the horrible ms has to do with the liver being impacted by the thyroid. I've read in many places that morning sickness has to do with bile production and the liver and when the excess bile isn't taken away, women suffer more from nausea. In this case, it would be the thyroid causing more issues with the liver, right? I think that's what the article was trying to say anyway.

Since my levels are definitely in the 2's, what is the suggested treatment for hypothyroidism in pregnancy? I don't know what exactly I'm going to do, but I'm interested to know what would help. When I see my doc, I'll be sure to explain how tired and cold I've been feeling. Hopefully he'll listen and have some advice!

#9 ·
Do you have access to a Naturopath doctor? Unfortunately, many doctors can be blind to this kind of info. You might also want to see an endocrinologist. If you doc says that you should be fine then just ask for a referal to an Endo.

I have some heart issues and have been having a HUGE amount of palpitations and thyroid issues can affect the heart. I didn't know that until I read the article. Just a little bit of extra evidence that I might truely have something to take care of.

Hopefully you get your answers and help soon!

#10 ·
I have the same symptoms-- cold and tired. It's par for the course in early pregnancy and it doesn't have to mean that there is anything wrong. Your body is working extremely hard at all hours of the day to build a baby.

I just want to throw out a word of caution-- I wouldn't accept anything as the gospel from any provider. Always look for further information or get a second opinion with someone who specializes in endocrinology. I have seen MDs and Naturopaths give out awful and sometimes dangerous advice. Just because someone is a doctor doesn't mean their bad and just because someone is a Naturopath doesn't mean their good. I see too many people accept advice blindly. If anything, I would avoid extra drugs/supplements as much as possible and just slowly improve your diet as you feel up to it. Food is always the best way to get nutrients anyway. Just my $.02
shy.gif

#11 ·
Hi there! I had my thyroid removed in 2007 due to thyroid cancer so I know a bunch about pregnancy and thyroid conditions. For those of you feeling cold and really tired I would definitely get your thyroid level checked again. Usually, your levels will not be affected until your blood volume goes up around week 8 or 9 when pregnant. I remember that they didn't up my dosage of thyroid hormone until around week 13 with my first pregnancy. The treatment is really simple. You just take a pill that is replacement thyroid hormone and get your levels checked regularly to make sure you are on the right dosage. It's really important to get checked again just to be sure!

#12 ·
Jessimaca- I really don't want to add any supplements unless I need to. I agree that food is often the best medicine (or the root of the problem, in some cases). Pregnancy is so complicated that I think it's so hard to determine what could actually be going on. It could be something to worry about, or it could just be symptoms of this particular pregnancy. I have pretty bad circulation anyway, so I'm used to being cold. I just assumed that the extra blood would keep me warmer (it did last time...but then again I was in Austin, TX and not MN). I've also read that feeling cold can be a symptom of low iron. I have pernicious anemia (B12 deficiency) from celiac disease and I should probably start taking higher dosages of B12 again. Maybe that would help?!

Thanks belacmsage! I actually have a good friend with thyroid problems and I talked with her last night. She has moved a couple of times in the past year and she said that it's been really frustrating for her. Every doctor and lab has a different set of "normal" and you can never really know if the doctor is doing what's best for your body.

I'm hoping and thinking that I'm just cold because it's actually freaking cold outside, but I'll be sure to talk to my doc about it. He seems like the kind of guy who will really listen to what I have to say.

#13 ·
I'm hoping and thinking that I'm just cold because it's actually freaking cold outside, but I'll be sure to talk to my doc about it. He seems like the kind of guy who will really listen to what I have to say.
It is really freaking cold! I'm your state neighbor! I keep waiting for my beloved "Indian Summer".

#14 ·
DDCC

i was freezing for my whole first tri. i remember a thread back then with a bunch of ladies having the same symptom. i think it's pretty common and normal :)

#15 ·
I was freezing, having a all day nausea, extremely tiered, leg cramps, just generally feeling like crap too.

My MW asked me to go check my thyroid (I do have low thyroid and it has been stable with treatment) and to get my progesterone checked too. My labs came back and my doc said everything was normal over the phone. I swung by the office to get a copy and yes my thyroid was great, but my progesterone was scary low, so low in fact my MW has never seen it this low and a pregnancy continue.

When I drew this to the doc's attention he argued with me that the lab said it was normal, until I directed him to the different ranges for pregnant vs. not pregnant, then he was alarmed (his wife had several losses in the last year related to low progesterone.) So, I'm just pointing out that docs aren't perfect.

I started using an over the counter progesterone cream and (the day i talked to my MW, before the doc got on board) within 24 hours all of the ugly pregnancy symptoms eased back to my normal (based on 2 previous pregnancies.)

It's 2 1/2 week later, and I'm still pregnant, still growing, and feeling a lot better. I started prescription progesterone and all is well.

#16 ·
It's so nice to listen to other informed people talking about their body!!!! I felt really bad when I went to my mandatory OB Nurse appointment and first time mom was there taking in everything they were saying as law. I suggested she do some other research on things (such as tests they require) and ask WHY do you need to do that (and if it will change anything that you might do)! She looked at me a little shocked like she never even thought of thinking for herself (I know that was how I was with DS1) I'm still trying to get DH on board for a homebirth, I'm thinking he will come around, as it is my body and I've given him lots of research, but until then I'm off to the OB... (Insurance doesn't have any midwives within a 80 mile area which are covered)

I did want to chime in with I'm FREEZING all the time!!!!!! I have pulled my heavy columbia winter coat out and don't go anywhere without a sweater. I get the results from my blood tests this week, and I do have a baseline on file so we will see what they say. thanks for the great info!!

#18 ·
SweetPotato - It's been so cold! I think Wednesday is supposed to be the warmest day this week. I've also avoided turning on the heat. We primarily use a wood-burning stove during the day, though, and it hasn't been cold enough for that yet.

On a brighter note, I started taking my B12 vitamin again and I've actually felt a bit warmer. I've also been moving around more, so who knows what the real reason is. Either way, I'm not feeling as cold as I was!

#19 ·
Ha ha ha! I hadn't even considered that you guys might be freezing because it's, you know, it's cold outside. I'm in central Florida and it's hot, hot, hot.

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyrae17 View Post

Thanks for the response! I don't have a baseline level to compare it to. I don't even know if my thyroid was tested the last time I was pregnant (I went through a birthing center). I have an appointment on October 3rd to go over the test results and hear the heartbeat, so I think I can wait until then to figure out what's going on. I'm incredibly leery of doctors normally - I've had so many situations where I knew something was wrong and was sent home only to end up in the ER (not pregnancy related stuff). In any event, I'm open to diet-related suggestions. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm living off of bean, cheese and rice burritos and fruit. Meat makes me nauseous...which is frustrating because I'm used to having meat all of the time. :-/
You mentioned all you are really eating right now are bean, rice and cheese burritos. That alone has complete protein from the beans and rice combo. And cheese is calcium and fat if you can add some avocados or guacamole, salsa, and if you can stomach it a green leafy vegetable(I am still not quite there yet I am almost at the add avocado stage) on a whole grain tortilla that is a pretty healthy and complete meal. Just try to get as whole foods as possible but really anyway you do it for the first trimester you are doing well, mama!
smile.gif

As for the cold, on the cold days I have been really cold and on the warm days(as long as it's not an on the couch day for me, in which case I am still cold) I feel like I was placed in an oven to roast.

Being cold all the time and fatigue while they can be typical symptoms of 1st trimester as everyone says can also be signs of anemia. I took vitron-c during my last pregnancy. I actually had to take two a day and within twenty minutes I felt alive again and I could lean more than 45 degees with out feeling like I was going to pass out. I stopped seeing stars and felt a lot better.

I would also like to recommend acupuncture. I never thought it was really necessary(although I was always intrigued but I have been going since I was 5 weeks along and I can't even express in words how incredible it is! When I started going I was so tired and feeling so sick I couldn't stand long enough to shower and getting in the bath tub made me feel sick really queasy. Every week I felt better and better and by last week at 11 weeks I felt better than I have in years in terms of energy. And I am even talking about before parenthood and before my last/first pregnancy.
My acupuncturist also gave me a homeopathic remedy for fatigue and nausea and other things but primarily that. It has been incredible!

I hope you feel better and don't worry too much but definitely trust your instincts if they tell you you should. :hugs:

P.s. Please excuse typos I am tying on my cracked iPhone and am also really tired since it is the middle of the night.

Good luck!

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liss86 View Post

I would also like to recommend acupuncture. I never thought it was really necessary(although I was always intrigued but I have been going since I was 5 weeks along and I can't even express in words how incredible it is! When I started going I was so tired and feeling so sick I couldn't stand long enough to shower and getting in the bath tub made me feel sick really queasy. Every week I felt better and better and by last week at 11 weeks I felt better than I have in years in terms of energy. And I am even talking about before parenthood and before my last/first pregnancy.
My acupuncturist also gave me a homeopathic remedy for fatigue and nausea and other things but primarily that. It has been incredible!
I really want to try acupuncture! I was looking into it when I was feeling really nauseous, but it's soooooo expensive. I think it was $145 or something for the first visit. I stay at home, so I definitely don't have the extra income to work with. On a brighter note, Minnesotacare is changing its policies and as of January, acupuncture will be covered! So...I'm waiting for January before I do it, so I don't have to pay. :) I really wish I could do it now, though. I think it would really help with my fatigue and nausea.

As for the anemia, I know that my iron levels are okay, but I have pernicious anemia (which is a B12 deficiency from celiac). I started taking 2500 mcg's of B12 a few days ago and I've noticed a large increase in my energy levels. I stopped taking it a while ago for some reason (I probably ran out), but I should be taking a lot of it everyday whether I'm pregnant or not. I'm actually able to do the dishes and laundry again. I've been completely useless for weeks.

Next week I get to hear the heartbeat, so that will definitely make all of this "pain" worth it! :)

#22 ·
I should check to see if acupuncture is covered. It would be well worth it to me.

DH has to work late tonight. He won't get home until around 9. Dinner has been served and the kiddos will all go to bed in one hour. I have the start of a cold so I will probably veg out on the couch and fall asleep if my tired body so desires it.

I just keep reminding myself of my favorite moment after childbirth. Right when that little warm wet baby is placed on my chest and I get to feel it's skin, it's squishiness, and hear it's little cries. That is what is getting me through right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.