Food no-nos - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-03-2011, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you google pregnancy drug class there are several sites that you can check things on, including heroin, which seems to be indeed be listed as a class B by several sites and a google of flu shot pregnancy class will get you that also. 

Here is an article from the NIH concerning listeria and pregnancy: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2621056/

This link: http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/package_inserts.htm will take you to a site where you can look directly at all the package inserts of vaccines including the flu vaccines for this year. The pregnancy class is usually listed toward the end of the insert and some are B and some are C. I think all of the packages say that they should be given to pregnant women only if clearly needed. 

Hope that is helpful. :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyvangy View Post

Peppermint tea??? I didn't even know that was on the list.  Well, add that to the things I ignore.  What the heck is wrong with peppermint tea?!?

It's not. This person heard something from someone once and therefore I'm expected to follow it. I have PCOS and the only reason I have 1.3 children is because I'm on metformin, which is perfectly safe for pregnancy and has been shown to reduce the risk of miscarriage in women with PCOS. This person mistook "metformin" for the name of some major migraine drug and told me I was going ot kill my baby by taking it. She didn't listen when I explained how wrong she was.
Let's just say that these aren't the only crazy wrong things i've heard from people. Because pregnant women are public property or something.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
Old 10-03-2011, 07:52 AM

I found the pregnancy class of heroin in Medications and Mothers' Milk by Hale. Other googling says heroin is unclassified which I also find odd.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
Old 10-03-2011, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, and when looking at the NIH website regarding listeria, the important part to note is the incidence of newborns having listeria at all, which I believe says it's 8.6 cases per 100,000 live births (AKA only .0086% of births!!!)

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:24 AM

The primary problem with listeria isn't that the baby is born with it, it's that it leads to infection in the placenta, which then can lead to miscarriage.

That said, I'm avoiding cantaloupes only because I'm allergic, not because of listeria.

And I eat lunch meat. And I would eat soft/raw cheeses if I could get my hands on them.

And apparently listeria is more likely to be problematic in the 2-3 trimesters, so gorge yourselves on lunch meat now, ladies!

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Miscarriage is more likely in the early stages, premature birth and still birth being more likely. From everything I've read though, the real threat though, seems to be in the risk of neonatal death, which is caused by infection in the new born. Further, the time frame on the disease is so insane as to limit a lot of concerns. For example, the CDC recommends that if the mother experiences symptoms within 2 months she should be treated with antibiotics, and if she is asymptomatic no treatment is necessary. Clearly this is not an overly virulent or fast moving bacteria. Further, it states that antibiotics are likely to resolve any potential problems with the fetus. It seems to me that this is not exactly the horrifying thing that people are led to believe it is (but then again the CDC is smart enough to acknowledge that soft cheese which are pasteurized are not a threat, something doctors seem to no longer do...maybe we should trust the CDC more than the OB's?)

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:16 AM

I actually do not think the lists are going overboard, nor that women should throw out caution and just eat whatever in moderation. Unfortunately even very healthy foods are contaminated by enviormental toxins at this point and what may have been fine in the past is just not the same food today. I do not follow any list religiously, but I do ,for example,decrease my consumption of fish because of mercury. After last years tragedy in Japan even more so. Soft serve ice cream...yeah, not touching that anyway. Same with lunch meat...most of these foods are really not that great to begin with. I do think it is great that everyone can make their own decisions, but let's not come down on those who choose to be more stringent.The foods are not arbitrarily placed on the list. JMHO. Live and let live and all. hippie.gif

Wendy,loving wife to Brian, happy mama of Trinity(15), Christian(15), Gavin(13), Logan(11), Griffon(9),Jubilee(7), Epiphany (4), and Lucian Danger( born 18 April 12) <3
Old 10-03-2011, 12:42 PM

I don't eat anything on the no-no list, so it hasn't really been an issue for me. Kombucha was a big thing for me though. Some people say no, some people say yes. I've been drinking a bottle a day almost every day for years ( even when recovering from surgery) so I figured I'm okay. I think if I wasn't vegan, I'd stick the lists though, it's just how my luck runs. Out of six of us who went to Mexico last winter, I was the only one who managed to get round worm. Things like that tend to find me!lol.gif

Mother to one Little Flower Childdust.gif 3/08 and one little squirmy boy babyf.gif 4/12 homebirth.jpg, Wife to fuzmalesling.gif,I am a Vegan Pagan. We familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif mdcblog5.gif!

Old 10-03-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post

It's not. This person heard something from someone once and therefore I'm expected to follow it. I have PCOS and the only reason I have 1.3 children is because I'm on metformin, which is perfectly safe for pregnancy and has been shown to reduce the risk of miscarriage in women with PCOS. This person mistook "metformin" for the name of some major migraine drug and told me I was going ot kill my baby by taking it. She didn't listen when I explained how wrong she was.Let's just say that these aren't the only crazy wrong things i've heard from people. Because pregnant women are public property or something.

I was told by two young women who have never been pregnant that I should get rid of my cats.  This drives me CRAZY!

happily married to my rock and roll cowboy guitar.gif since 2009, living the dream with our Rosebud, 26/04/12 joy.gif

Old 10-03-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaismum View Post

If you google pregnancy drug class there are several sites that you can check things on, including heroin, which seems to be indeed be listed as a class B by several sites and a google of flu shot pregnancy class will get you that also. 

Here is an article from the NIH concerning listeria and pregnancy: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2621056/

This link: http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/package_inserts.htm will take you to a site where you can look directly at all the package inserts of vaccines including the flu vaccines for this year. The pregnancy class is usually listed toward the end of the insert and some are B and some are C. I think all of the packages say that they should be given to pregnant women only if clearly needed. 

Hope that is helpful. :)

Yes, thanks. 

The claim that listeria is less likely to occur in pregnancy than car accidents is true, but with a ton of important stipulations. One can't conclude that it is safe to eat foods with a high risk of listeria based on that information. The listeria statistic is based on a country that has rules prohibiting consumption of these items, so the estimate may be an underestimate based on the restrictions we're already putting ourselves under. On the other hand, our food handling in this country may be so terrible that it's actually an over estimate. 

All of this is in risk analysis and impact of the choice, as someone above said. If you understand the risk (which is extremely hard to understand unless you do a lot of research), you can make an informed choice. The rest of us are all kind of just hedging and hoping. 

That being said, I would eat sushi if DH wouldn't get pissed at my about it. The bacteria that are most concerning in sushi die when frozen, and all legally-sold sushi in this country is flash frozen before being served. I think the sushi advisory is a case of over-caution before data produced results. Lunch meats, however, have been the known cause of fetal death. That's a different bag of worms.

(Note: If anyone can come up with a report of a pregnant woman having adverse effects from sushi consumption in the US, I would LOVE to see it. I looked and found nothing.)

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
Old 10-03-2011, 02:26 PM

All of your bad bugs and danger come from contamination during processing.  Buy as much of your food from local farmers and producers who follow good hygiene and you will be fine.  Do I trust a bag of spinach which has been mingled with tons of other spinach leaves in large processing facilities where one single "oops" can contaminate millions of bags or the bag of spinach I get at the farmers market from the producer I talk to every week and whose farm I have visited?  I'll take local. 

You are more likely to get sick from eating at a mexican restaurant where one of the staff forgot to wash their hands than a sushi restaurant which follows good hygiene practices. 

Regarding raw milk, the CDC finally released figures that allow one to calculate the risk of consuming raw milk compared to the risk of consuming other foods. 

“Using government figures for foodborne illness for the entire population, Dr. Beals has shown that you are about thirty-five thousand times more likely to get sick from other foods than you are from raw milk, and with good management practices in small grass-based dairies offering fresh unprocessed whole milk for direct human consumption, we may be able to reduce the risk even further.”

http://www.westonaprice.org/press/government-data-proves-raw-milk-safe

Pasteurized milk is more dangerous than raw milk in the long run and probably even in the short run.

My family = Me + DH plus new babe 5/12 make 3 buddamomimg1.png

Old 10-04-2011, 06:51 AM

well. i have to say that watching what i eat seems really pointless when i have just spent the night in hospital with severe food poisoning and dehydration. where the heck did i get that? its obviously impossible to avoid because i overcook everything and not eaten any pregnancy no-no's! xxx

Old 10-04-2011, 06:55 AM

UGH! Natwatson I'm sorry you went through that! Food poisoning is horrid. I hope you're feeling better. 

It can come from anywhere, as NicMom mentioned. All it takes is some bad hand-washing practices are a restaurant. The spinach example is good too. 

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
Old 10-04-2011, 10:43 AM

With my first pregnancy I followed everything to the letter and was deeply distressed after forgetting and taking a bite of a turkey sandwich. I want to go back to that past pregnant self and give her a hug. I was so terrified! I had a perfect pregnancy.

Then I suffered two miscarriages, again after doing everything perfectly. I read a book called Miscarriage, Medicine, and Miracles by Dr. Bruce Young, an RE who specializes in pregnancy loss. I found the book deeply comforting, especially when he states that the causes of miscarriage are rooted in fetal abnormality that happens at conception, or an autoimmune response from the mother, which can be treated with baby aspirin and/or prescription blood thinners. I LOVE it when he says that no normal daily activity will cause a miscarriage, including:

-stress

-drinking a cup of coffee or a glass of wine

-eating deli meat or a hot dog

-picking up a toddler

-eating sushi

For this pregnancy I am taking high doses of folic acid and a low-dose baby aspirin (under a doctor's supervision), but am really relaxed about the other rules. I am allowing myself a few cups of coffee and cokes a week, the occasional deli sandwich if I'm starving and there is nothing else quick to eat, and even the occasional hotdog if I'm craving it.

I absolutely respect and admire the women who stick to the rules, but not if they judge what I choose to do.

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

User Tag List