Self employed and worried about mat leave - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-01-2011, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I'm self employed and worried about maternity leave.  My income depends completely on my actually being at work, so paid maternity leave is pipe dream here.  Also, as my entire business depends on my ability to see patients, I worry about how much it will hurt the practice i've spent 3 years building to take a few weeks off.  I bring home about 50% of our household income, so it would be difficult, but not impossible, to survive for very long without my income.  That said, I don't want to interrupt valuable bonding time with baby.  

Anyone else in a similar situation?  What are you going to do? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

#2 of 6 Old 10-01-2011, 06:39 PM

I'm guessing you're a chiropractor. My chiro is actually due within a few days of me and takes a few weeks off. This is her third child and I'm pretty sure her third since becoming a chiro. Her business is thriving.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#3 of 6 Old 10-02-2011, 11:35 AM

My chiro when I had my first baby, had her's 1 month before. She brought baby to work with her after taking something like a month off. I think she had some support there too, to help with the baby while she saw patients. I also think she had a lighter schedule at first.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#4 of 6 Old 10-02-2011, 11:39 AM

My chiropractor did the same. She started back about a month after, but only a few days a week, and half days. She has a practice with her father, and mom is the office manager. Her son stays in the back, and she pumps during her breaks or nurses him when she can. She's back to a full schedule since she gave birth back in February.

How far out are you from delivering? I know it isn't always easy, but socking away as much money as possible helps. Are you in a state that offers short term disability?

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#5 of 6 Old 10-02-2011, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone.  cameragirl, socking away some money is possible before baby comes, since i'm not due till april.  It's good to hear that some many or your chiro's took a month off.  That's what i'd like to do, ideally, so maybe I can find a way to make that work! 

Thanks again everyone :)

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

#6 of 6 Old 10-02-2011, 06:09 PM

Hoping over here from October...

Since your not due for such a long while would it be possible to take on an "understudy" who can keep your clients for you while your on leave?

Thats what my doula is doing....not sure how that would work in the Chiro world.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page