Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Placenta previa- do you have it now?

Did you ever have it previously? 

Bleeding? When? how often?

Did it self correct? At what point? 

How many ultrasounds? 

Were you put on bedrest? Pelvic Rest?

Did you have a vaginal birth? If not can you tell me a bit about the recovery of your c-section? At what point was the baby born/delivered? 

What should I ask my dr. on monday that I haven't thought of? 

I have it, bleed heavy last Sat. now spotting for 7 days. Wondering what this all means long term....

homescholing traveling mama of two ('08 and '12) expecting May 2015!
#2 of 4 Old 10-01-2011, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Haven't had placenta previa, but wanted to send you hugs because I know how scary bleeding during pg is.  hug2.gif  I've read a lot of threads in Birth and Beyond  where people have had partial/total previa that resolves/moves far enough away from the cervix that they can have a vaginal birth.  Was your DD vaginal?  Not sure if it would be more complicated for a VBAC.  I would look around there and see if you can find something too.  I really hope yours moves away and that you can have the birth you have planned!  Keep us posted.

#3 of 4 Old 10-01-2011, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I didn't have it but my sister had partial previa (not the same I know) and it was scary enough to figure things out.  The questions that were important to her were about the likelihood of the placenta moving far enough away from the cervix for her to deliver vaginally.  They have to measure and it has to be within a certain amount that somewhat varies based on a providers comfort level.  She was put on partial bed rest and complete pelvic rest.  If she had any bleeding she was to let her provider know and any bright red blood or larger amount she was to go into the hospital immediately. She did have two times of bleeding that required going to the hospital and one-two weeks of spotting that had to be monitored.  She had a few ultrasounds but there was no point to do it if she wasn't bleeding a concerning amount and wasn't dialating for delivery.  A lot of her bleeding was the placenta moving away from the cervix as her uterus expanded.  It moved enough that she was allowed to have a vaginal birth but was not able to do a homebirth.  Her doctor was prepared for a possible hemmorhage but the birth went smoothly at 39 weeks and she had no issues with the placenta.  It made for over 20 weeks of higher than normal stress for her pregnancy but birth and postpartum were a lot happier.

I would ask what amount of bleeding is ok if any and when to go to the ER?

Who to call while on the way so they can be prepared?

What is the likelihood of having to stay overnight in the hospital if you have a bleed? My sister had to and it was not expected really.

If a vaginal birth is still something they can consider, or wait and see about?  How long to they, and you, feel comfortable waiting before the c-section vs vaginal birth decision is made? What is the cutoff date?

I would ask for specifics about bed rest.  My sister did the best she could but her son was 18 months when her second was born.  I was there to help every day but there is only so much sitting on the couch one can do with an active toddler- who, by the way- nursed all through the pregnancy and no doctor was concerned at all about that.

I hope that is somewhat helpful. I know it is not first person experience but I was at a lot of the mw appointments and did a lot of processing with her. Hugs mama, you still have a long time for this to possibly move, and if not, there are many that can support you with c-section recovery.

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#4 of 4 Old 10-01-2011, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a partial/marginal previa with my last pregnancy that resolved by the 3rd trimester. It's apparently pretty common to have some previa in early pregnancy but rare for it to effect delivery. I had 2 episodes of spotting, but nothing even remotely concerning (well, objectively. I still flipped out). A good friend of mine had a dead on center previa at 12 weeks and 20 weeks that resolved by 32 and she had a normal vaginal birth. She had been planning a c-section as with a center previa there's a good chance that it won't move, but it did. She never had any bleeding.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page