Sleeping arrangements - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 10-14-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have you decided what you're doing as for sleeping arrangements yet?

We knew we would have baby in our room and bed share a little but also needed a space just for baby.  We have little space to work with but we came up with a really good solution...we got an Amby nature nest hammock because of the awesome reviews.  I can't wait to put our baby in it, it looks so cozy <3 

Tanya treehugger.gif DH-Brian, DD Adri (8), DD Izzy (7), DS Ollie angel.gif (1/5/11 @ 17 weeks) and our rainbow1284.gif baby due April 12th, 2012.

Of all the lessons I did not learn as a child, or even as an adult; I learn through being, mother to my children. Through love and through pain, we are delivered and blessed!

#2 of 32 Old 10-14-2011, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We plan to bed share, and to sidecar a crib. But since we are planning on moving shortly after birth, I am considering not setting up the crib till the new place. May get something to use inside the bed as a positioner.

#3 of 32 Old 10-14-2011, 11:02 AM

Oh, I'll be curious to see how you like that hammock...I think they look so neat!  We will probably just have baby in bed with us.  With the other two, I set up a sidecar arrangement, first with a cosleeper and second with a crib, and never used it.  It just collected stuff and made it hard to make the bed...but then, my babies have never transferred that well after asleep.  I always found it easier to just nurse them to sleep in place.  Then, when they were bigger, around 2, we  went to big girl twin beds, where they're both at now. :)

My cup overflows with a wonderful husband and two beautiful daughters and another on the way in April 2012! 

#4 of 32 Old 10-14-2011, 11:25 AM

Co-sleeping for us too.16 I may put a bassinet next to the bed for nights where they aren't sleeping soundly and my movement disturbs them (it's worked well in the past). Then they typically go on their own when they are older. I'm a little concerned only because 3yo DD is still with us, and I'm not sure there's room for all of us...hoping she can transition soon.

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

#5 of 32 Old 10-14-2011, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We cosleep too. Honestly, until around a year I didn't need anything beside the bed, we have a king.  Once he started moving around a lot, it was nice to have a place for him to start out.  We have our bed on the floor and a toddler bed beside it like a cosleeper.  It works great and he spends probably half the night in our bed.  With the new one coming, I will just have to arrange it so that the order is DS, DH, me, then DC.  We will see how it goes!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#6 of 32 Old 10-14-2011, 04:33 PM

We'll be cosleeping too but I do plan to set up the pack n play in our room for naps or whatever.  I'm not even worried about a nursery.  We have 4 bdrms, our room, dd's room, a play room (which i refuse to give up), and an office for dh (who's in law school).  So, that leaves the baby in our room, which is fine.  we have evough room in our bedroom for the pack n play and a changing table so nothing fancy but inexpensive as we already own everything...

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

#7 of 32 Old 10-14-2011, 05:21 PM

Right now, DD is in a toddler bed in our room, and we have a king.  She gets in bed with us around 5:30 in the morning, and then I try to sleep for another hour and a half.

Plan is to put new baby between DH and me in the snuggle nest thingie we already have until s/he's big enough that DH doesn't worry about crushing her.  I'm going to get a bed rail for my side so that in the morning DD can sleep between me and the edge without me worrying about her falling off (it's pretty high up).  We'll probably also do a pack'n'play (which we already have) for new baby for those times when DD is alone in our bed or when I'm showering.

DH was totally against cosleeping at first with DD, but once he realized it was between her sleeping with us and him not sleeping at all (she screamed constantly), he relented, and eventually started to like it.  The snuggle nest is just a way for him to get used to having a baby there again.  The new ones have a lower edge, I think, which would have been great to keep DD from sliding down.

#8 of 32 Old 10-15-2011, 12:48 PM

we plan to sidecar the crib.  it seems like the easiest way to do it.   i dont really like a separate bassinette or whatever, because, in my past experience, it seems like the baby sleeps better right beside me, and can become more restless if they're moved, etc.  With a sidecar, i can sleep while i nurse and won't have to stay awake to 'put baby to bed' afterwards...

heartbeat.gif

#9 of 32 Old 10-16-2011, 08:38 AM

We were given a snuggle nest before out first. Great for sleep training DH to stay out of the middle of the bed while I was pregnant, waste of money once the babe was born. I found that co sleeping while nursing had the babe wanting to be head at boob height in the bed, the snuggle nest was just an awkward piece of plastic that got in the way. I also thought the ridged base made it too tippy in our bed, as in every time someone moved DD would get rolled around, which did not happen when she was directly on the mattress.

We just put our bed back up on the frame after having it low for awhile. DD was sleeping on a twin mattress on the floor next to us and DS is still in the bed with us. We bought bunk beds for the kids and have it in our room next to us (DD is not comfortable in her own room yet, sigh.) DD is happy on her top bunk, and the plan is to transition DS onto the bottom bunk before the babe gets here. He's chosen to nap there, so so far so good. At night he likes to be super close, kind of a new thing, so I'm really hoping it does not turn into a Daddy on the bottom bunk for awhile after the babe gets here. No matter what, babe and I get the king this time around.

Before anyone judges us, we are used to musical beds in our family. I have slept in the guest bed with a babe, on a queen mattress on the floor with a toddler next to DH in a king waterbed on the floor, on a mattress on the floor with a babe, next to big sister in her own bed, on a twin mattress on the floor with the kids in bed with DH, on the couch with the kids on an air mattress, etc...  Some of the time all 4 of us were in the king together. DH has had our king size to himself for a good part of the last 8 years so this time around he knows he will be the one that gets to be moving beds to accommodate everyone getting a good night sleep. OK, maybe now you might want to judge us (ha ha ha).

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#10 of 32 Old 10-16-2011, 02:32 PM

Abbie, I don't think anyone should/would judge you. smile.gif at least I know I am in the same boat in regards to the musical beds. If it works for your family so be it. smile.gif

We started cowled ing with dd and sometimes putting her in the pack n play but ended up completely cowled ing by three months(basically once she out grew the little baby top thing and had to lay flat). Then we moved our bed to the floor sometime after she started walking and we have only one queen, her crib(which she slept in for about a month this summer and that is it) and a full aero bed. We have slept all three of us in the queen until about 18 months. Then I slept with her in the air mattress but now dp sleeps with her there since it is too uncomfortable and I sleep alone in the queen on the floor.

I am trying to push dp to get us a king size bed way off the floor and a twin for dd but he works a lot so not much time to discuss things and this remains at the bottom of the short list wink1.gif I will have my bed before the 9th month though lol

"E" reggo :yoga wash.gif :clothes and if I have time knit.gif peas in a pod with overworked DP "E" Cosleeping, Extended breastfeeding, Cloth Diapering(a bit obsessed), babywearing, SAHM to DD wl 9/09 and expecting homebirth in 4/12 joy.gif
#11 of 32 Old 10-16-2011, 04:30 PM

We did bed-sharing with DD from birth to 19 months when we got her bed and put it next to ours, and then her bed moved away from ours but stayed in the same room, and now she is in her own room.   Most nights either myself or my husband are in bed with her for part of the night, but she sometimes ends up in our queen bed.   The plan is to bed-share with the new baby as well.  We have yet to own a crib or pack-and-play, and don't plan on it this time around either.  We did use one of those snuggle nest thingies for the first few nights with DD but it took up too much space in a queen bed, and really things were much better without it.  I anticipate that there will be quite a few nights of DH with DD in her room, and myself with the babe in our room... but we will see.

knit.gifLaura, mama to my wonderful Wilhelmina (11/08) energy.gif and my precious Peregrine (4/12) babyboy.gif

#12 of 32 Old 10-17-2011, 06:08 AM

we are still co-sleeping with Juniper, our 2 1/2 year old) but trying to transition her to the bottom bunk in the girls room. Our 5 year old, Josephine, is in the top bunk and there is a loft bed in the room where our 8 year old, Jewel, sleeps.  She knows that that is her bed and her room but she isn't sleeping there yet.

as for baby arrangments- last time we used a co-sleeper, but mostly it just took up space. So it will just be our bed, but I need to figure out something to keep babe from falling off the bed. Putting the bed on the floor won't work because the "box spring" has drawers in it and we NEED that storage especially with a new baby coming and we have stuff stored UNDER the bed too.   I just asked Hubs and he says that I am worrying too much and " we never put rails on our bed with any of the other kids" which is true but then they also fell off the bed.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#13 of 32 Old 10-19-2011, 08:09 AM

You could put a rail on one side, maybe.  I never really worried about DD falling out of the bed.  She only did it 2 or 3 times, and didn't seem to mind.  Once she stayed asleep.  bag.gif

#14 of 32 Old 10-19-2011, 10:53 AM

I'm not a big fan of rails--I'm not mechanically challenged or anything but I can never get them to work, they never seem long enough to me (or high enough) and really uncomfortable and easy entrapments if not used correctly (which in my sleep deprived state might be possible!)  So I'm thinking about this:

http://www.snugtuckpillow.com/

Which I would totally make if I actually got around to it--it's a bolster that's the length of the side you want a barrier on (or minus 1 foot if you want to be able to crawl out the end) secured by a strap that goes under the mattress and clips to the ends of the pillow.  I'll probably just buy it because I'm afraid I won't stuff it quite right and it will be all wonky--not firm enough or something.  We're trying to put a barrier up on one whole side so that would be a LOT of stuffing!

Anyone ever used one of these things?  I'm thinking it would be great when we travel too (if I can fold it up into a suitcase) or throw it in the car...

Unschooling mama alongside DH (05/01) to DD (5/05).  Expecting #2 spring 2012!

#15 of 32 Old 10-19-2011, 11:00 AM

When I was young my little brother had a problem with rolling out of bed.  The rail really didn't work because he just became dependent on it.  What we did is he slept in a normal twin.  I slept in a trundle bed kept in the lowered position right next to him.  When he would roll out he would roll onto my bed.  If he didn't wake up, I would and he would get back into his bed.  Eventually he learned to stay in bed and never got hurt in the process.

My family = Me + DH plus new babe 5/12 make 3 buddamomimg1.png

#16 of 32 Old 10-19-2011, 03:38 PM

We are moving into our new house when baby will be 6-8 weeks old so until then, I plan to sleep in our bed or the guest room bed with a cosleeper next to me.  I was really into the hammock idea (Amby specifically) but I'm worried what if my baby doesn't like it?  We have a relative who will buy us a crib but if I say no, then we are on our own if we decide to get one later.  Not sure what I will do.  Maybe I'll say yes to the crib and get the hammock instead of a baby swing since we are very anti-contraption anyway.  I don't plan to get the millions of "baby-containers", just want to get what we need. 

Married since June 2009  fencing.gif

Expecting our first in early April 2012 stork-suprise.gif

#17 of 32 Old 11-20-2011, 05:38 PM

Resurrecting this thread because our almost-3 year old has decided that she will only go to sleep in our bed.  Usually she falls asleep in our bed, and then I move her to her toddler bed in our room when I go to sleep.  She gets in bed with us again around 6:00 a.m., which is fine. 

The issue is that our bed is really high, so I don't want her sleeping on the edge even though she doesn't get hurt or mind when she falls out.  Baby will sleep with us, in the middle.  Would a little rail be enough to hold DD at the edge for an hour or so in the a.m.?

What about putting baby to sleep--do I put him/her somewhere else, and then take her in the big bed with me when I go?  (Not like I was ever able to "put DD to sleep" at night, but maybe this baby will be calmer.)

And for moms of more than one who bed share, what do you do?

#18 of 32 Old 11-20-2011, 06:29 PM

Weve co slept since our babes birth (now 2.5), bed sharing for the first 4-6 months, bassinet in room til age two, now in her own bed in our room and comes into our bed at least 2x a week.

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#19 of 32 Old 11-20-2011, 06:52 PM

This will be my first babe, so not sure how it'll work out, but we have a loose plan. We're planning on having the baby in the bed with us for the first bit, but my dad is making a beeeeutiful wooden cradle that we're hoping to use next to our bed. I'm a very light sleeper, so I think I'm going to want the baby close to facilitate night feeding, but not necessarily right next to me in the bed. Our bedroom is the entire converted attic of our house, so it's more than big enough to fit a crib when the baby outgrows the cradle. I think I'll want to do that rather than have them sleeping down on the main floor alone.

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern... it will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that . . . one stitch at a time, taken patiently." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

#20 of 32 Old 11-20-2011, 06:54 PM

Baby will have it's own room .... but certainly won't be sleeping in it right away :)

My DD was in the pack-n-play next to my bed for the first 6 months or so. It worked out okay and I had a water bed (so 80s, I know) at the time so cosleeping wouldn't have been safe in that bed anyway. She did cosleep with me for naps pretty often, especially between 6mo-1yr when she started getting pretty clingy. At about 6mo, I moved her into the crib in her room - though I was still up to nurse several times each night.

I still have the pack-n-play and may try that again, but I also was offered a cosleeper which I will try to get my hands on, since I know I was pretty lucky that my DD actually WOULD sleep without being right next to me. I wouldn't say she was a good sleeper - she didn't STTN until we weaned at 2.5yo, but she would sleep for a few stretches in her own cozy space. I do like that setup because it allows me some better sleep - having baby within arms reach but not right on me, but I know now that it really depends on the baby.

My sister said she would NEVER cosleep - until her daughter was born and insisted that SHE would never sleep at all unless it was next to Mommy ... preferably with a boob in her mouth :)

#21 of 32 Old 11-20-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieB View Post

We were given a snuggle nest before out first. Great for sleep training DH to stay out of the middle of the bed while I was pregnant, waste of money once the babe was born. I found that co sleeping while nursing had the babe wanting to be head at boob height in the bed, the snuggle nest was just an awkward piece of plastic that got in the way. I also thought the ridged base made it too tippy in our bed, as in every time someone moved DD would get rolled around, which did not happen when she was directly on the mattress.

We just put our bed back up on the frame after having it low for awhile. DD was sleeping on a twin mattress on the floor next to us and DS is still in the bed with us. We bought bunk beds for the kids and have it in our room next to us (DD is not comfortable in her own room yet, sigh.) DD is happy on her top bunk, and the plan is to transition DS onto the bottom bunk before the babe gets here. He's chosen to nap there, so so far so good. At night he likes to be super close, kind of a new thing, so I'm really hoping it does not turn into a Daddy on the bottom bunk for awhile after the babe gets here. No matter what, babe and I get the king this time around.

Before anyone judges us, we are used to musical beds in our family. I have slept in the guest bed with a babe, on a queen mattress on the floor with a toddler next to DH in a king waterbed on the floor, on a mattress on the floor with a babe, next to big sister in her own bed, on a twin mattress on the floor with the kids in bed with DH, on the couch with the kids on an air mattress, etc...  Some of the time all 4 of us were in the king together. DH has had our king size to himself for a good part of the last 8 years so this time around he knows he will be the one that gets to be moving beds to accommodate everyone getting a good night sleep. OK, maybe now you might want to judge us (ha ha ha).

hah, sounds like us. We have a huge room that we built as a 'boys dormitory,' but right now we have our king, a set of bunk beds and a twin bed in it. (We are in constant remodel mode.) We definitely play musical beds. Most often one of us and two littles end up in the king and the other w/the 21mo in a twin. It's seriously annoying sometimes, but the boys are just not ready to be pushed out. Maybe when we finish the basement remodel in the spring they'll be ready for their own beds/room.

#22 of 32 Old 11-20-2011, 08:10 PM

Really happy to read this thread and see what has worked for other mamas/babes.

We have a king bed and will plan to have the baby in with us for quite a while - a year maybe? We're going to convert the upstairs storage closet (about 4' x 8') into a diapers/clothes/changing area as our bedroom doesn't really have much breathing room around the giant bed to keep any baby stuff. Eventually baby will move into the guest/tv room which we are hoping to preserve as such for as long as possible.

I'm trying to figure out whether we need some other sleeping place for baby - maybe a bassinet or something for the living room, which is on a different level than our bedroom. DP says we don't need anything and can just nap the baby on the couch, but that doesn't strike me as very safe.

I don't want to go overkill and acquire way too much stuff - I'm so glad DP has had a baby before and is very minimalistic about what we need. At the same time I don't want to be desperately needing something but too exhausted and overwhelmed to a) realize we need it or b) figure out where to get it at a reasonable price.

For the bedsharing, no-crib families, where have you slept the baby on its own? Still in the family bed? What if that were on a different floor? Is this where monitors come in handy?

stepmama to a 9 y.o. bookworm reading.gif and milky mama to the sweetest girl born april 2012 baby.gif

#23 of 32 Old 11-20-2011, 10:07 PM

We have a bed rail on my side of the king bed. We've always done naps in our bed and haven't had any problems.

Our bedroom is downstairs (in the basement) and the kitchen/baths are upstairs. I just don't go upstairs if the baby is sleeping. A monitor would come in handy, but we just haven't bought one.

#24 of 32 Old 11-21-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalazap View Post

I'm trying to figure out whether we need some other sleeping place for baby - maybe a bassinet or something for the living room, which is on a different level than our bedroom. DP says we don't need anything and can just nap the baby on the couch, but that doesn't strike me as very safe.

For the bedsharing, no-crib families, where have you slept the baby on its own? Still in the family bed? What if that were on a different floor? Is this where monitors come in handy?

I wasn't comfortable with DD being on a different floor until she was like 9 months old, so until then, if I was able to put her down for a nap without me it was usually in a bouncy chair, or on a little pallet on the floor.  Not sure how that will work with a toddler around now.  Probably the bouncy chair option.

After 9 months or so, I'd nap her in the family bed.  It was easiest to nurse her down there.  We did an inexpensive monitor, and still use it every night (mostly to listen to her talk herself to sleep at night).

Any other moms of toddlers have a good solution for bedsharing?  It sounds like the bed rail is pretty much it....

#25 of 32 Old 11-21-2011, 06:18 AM

We love our bed rail and haven't had any problems with it. I have stayed with friends that kept a bed rail on a super thick mattress. The mattress was so thick that the rail only stuck up a few inches. It seemed superfluous to me.

How thick is your mattress?

#26 of 32 Old 11-21-2011, 08:05 AM

We'll co sleep.  I do have a cradle I'll put near the bed just in case the baby doesn't do well with us moving around or is a light sleeper or just for naps even.  But co sleeping is what worked the best with DS and for me too, so we'll just do that. 

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#27 of 32 Old 11-21-2011, 08:45 AM

We have coslept with each of our kiddos:) We have a crib side-carred for our 18mos old right now, and he'll be staying there until he's ready to move into his room(shared by his 5.5yo and 3.5yo brother) probably around 2-3yo. The baby will sleep between us like the other 3 have done since birth:)

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

#28 of 32 Old 11-21-2011, 09:00 AM

AbbieB- We know all about musical beds here! It goes in spurts here....last year it was brutal as my DH was moving from our 4.5yo's top bunk down to our 2.5yo's bottom bunk, and vice versa all night long....I was in our queen with a new baby so I stayed put. It's been great for awhile lately, though:) My 5.5yo is now sleeping totally through the night....what a relief! And our 3.5yo gets up maybe twice a week for snuggles or a drink in the middle of the night. My 18mos old is also sleeping from 8pm-730am...I have no idea how that happened. He's the only one of my kids that actually sleeps LOL. So....right now we are getting to sleep in our own beds most of the time! It's such a treat!!! I'm hoping it'll stay that way after the baby is Earthside:)

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

#29 of 32 Old 11-21-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itsasecret View Post

We love our bed rail and haven't had any problems with it. I have stayed with friends that kept a bed rail on a super thick mattress. The mattress was so thick that the rail only stuck up a few inches. It seemed superfluous to me.

How thick is your mattress?

Oh, duh, I didn't think of that.  Ours is pretty thick.  I'll measure it when DD wakes up from nap.  But yeah, I can see how the rail wouldn't be that helpful on a thick one.

Funny thing that this whole line of thought brought to mind--when my brother was little (he's now 28), he rolled out of bed all the time, so my parents got him a rail (so maybe 1986?).  It was like 2 feet tall, four and a half feet long, and made of brass, with bars like a prison cell.  Funny. 

#30 of 32 Old 11-21-2011, 10:59 AM

So who here has used the hammock type beds like Courtney is planning to use? They look really great to me, but so many things say they are unsafe. Now I know co-sleeping is also labeled by "the powers that be" to be unsafe so I hardly trust their judgment...I'd really like some real mom (crunchy world) type advice.

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page