Weight Gain - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 12-05-2011, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's weird but I can see how mental weight issues start now. Five years ago I weighed darn nearly 300lbs, got back into horses and sweat ed most of 100 of it off...that and knocking out anything with HFC in it. So I gained 10 pounds when I was preg last year and mc-ed so I started this pg at 210 (at 5'6 but very thick, 21' calves errr cows, size 16 pants, irish peasant genetics, you know fluffy and strong) I worked out 2 hours a day cleaning 7 stalls and grooming horses, and rode mine about an hour every 2-3 days depending on weather for the last 3 years. So my Ob is fine with my weight and overall shape and the WIC lady thinks I'm  morbidly obese. I think one actually looked at me, and the other didn't look up from the height weight chart .

So at 21 weeks and up to 220, still working, but not as much and not riding at all....I am kinda freaking as I watch the scale numbers go up. I know it is healthy weight gain, not the sick depressed weight gain, but I can hear the crazy talk in my head. Not looking forward to WIC appointment in current mental state.  Can I blame murder of WIC lady on hormones?

#32 of 45 Old 12-05-2011, 05:44 PM

rubyjune, don't be too hard on yourself!! You're creating a person, and that takes calories!!! As long as you're making as many healthy choices as you can, don't worry about it!!! BMI is highly inaccurate as it does not account for muscle mass, so let the WIC woman think what she wants, you rest easy knowing you're taking care of your precious baby!  Wouldn't you rather gain a few extra, than find out that baby needed more calories than you gave her because you were worried about the number on the scale?? and yes, hormones are justification for homicide, as far as I can tell...

RELAX!!!!! and enjoy your beautiful pregnancy!!

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

#33 of 45 Old 12-06-2011, 02:06 PM

Rubyjune - I completely understand!  I was 5'10" and 230lbs pre-pregnancy.  Very healthy and active but just bigger than "average".  I've gained about 11 pounds at 23 weeks and am worried about gaining a lot more. I'd like to keep the total to less than 25 lbs, but not if that means limiting nutrients and healthy calories.  Staying very active helps.  I appreciate that my midwife is doesn't harp on my weight as long as everything is healthy, but I hate having to go into the OB's office and get a weight lecture.  

Do your best to keep yourself healthy and grow a healthy babe without worrying too much about the scale.  Having a healthy diet is much more important than what the scale says. 

#34 of 45 Old 12-06-2011, 02:19 PM

Don't worry I'm not  "diet" sort of girl, I eat what our body tells us to for the most part..

I just now see how that insecurity starts. I am pretty oblivious, so even noticing that I felt odd about what I know is a healthy weight gain surprised me. I will be way more sympathetic to people with body issues in the future..though perhaps not to people with stupid charts

I did find the perfect thing to do with my 12 year old daughter who is set up to be built like me. We went to the museum of fine arts. Not painting one in there of a skinny chick. Showed her how beautiful body shapes can be based on fads and change over time. very empowering

#35 of 45 Old 12-06-2011, 04:56 PM

I was 224 lbs at the beginning of this pregnancy. I'm 5'7 1/2" tall and I am obese. I've lost 1/2 lbs so far this pregnancy and only had morning sickness once. So while I am glad that I haven't gained much (Eleanor herself weighed 13 ounces last week) I am still very worried about the rest of this trimester and the next. I don't want to get any bigger. I'm already uncomfortable with my body as is. I'm hoping once the semester is over with school I can exercise more. 

At this point it's not so much about how much I gain. I just want to be healthy for the delivery and afterwards.

Artist wife to dh_malesling.GIF. Mom to DSS superhero.gif (3 yrs) and DD (04/12).  brokenheart.gif (2/28/10). winner.jpgcd.gif

#36 of 45 Old 12-07-2011, 04:38 PM

I'm right there with some of you on the weight issue!  I had been teetering around 200 during the summer when I became pregnant. Now at my last weigh in, I was 221, and probably up 5 lbs since then.  BUT I do eat a moderately healthy diet, and am becoming more active again (my activity dropped off the face of the earth for 2.5 months when i was feeling nausiated!) My midwives are in agreeance too that if you are eating well and still somewhat active, weight gain isnt so much of an issue.

Now, with that said, I still don't like the feeling of my thighs rubbing together from putting on a few Xtra lbs! That sensation I could totally do without! Regardless I feel better no matter what *size I am, as long as I have muscle tone under everything!

#37 of 45 Old 12-08-2011, 04:34 AM

Cseky~  I think that's a great way too look at it!  Not watch the numbers as much as being as healthy as possible.  That's my goal innocent.gif

I started out at a healthy BMI (5'6" and 150 lbs-- which is about 10 pounds heavier than feeling my best.  Gained some weight on my honeymoon orngbiggrin.gif).  So, my goal is to be as healthy as I can to keep the weight gain moderate for my health and the baby.  So far I've gained 13.5 lbs and I'm 22 weeks.  Didn't gain much in first tri due to nausousness.  I definitely indulge my cravings WAY more than when I'm not pregnant (like ice cream almost every night) which I'm trying to back off on a little to just indulge occassionaly.

Me = Healer, yogini, lactivist, step-mom, and wife to my dream come true joy.gif So grateful-- baby #1 April 2012

#38 of 45 Old 12-13-2011, 08:24 AM

I am 5'8 with a pre-pregnacy weight of 165lbs. I was doing really well until me last appointment at 21 weeks. In 4 weeks between the appointments I gained 11lbs which is a total of 21lbs. I am really not sure how it happened. Most of what I eat is healthy. Although I admit to the occasional Orange Julius and pretzel while shopping. My doctor told me that it was too much and that I need to start exercising more and that I need to watch what I eat. Now I am trying to cut back but I feel like I am starving all the time.

Any suggestions?

Me (34) DH (33) We are the proud parents to Rebecca (11) and we are all three excitedjumpers.gif to welcome our newest addition  stork-boy.gif April 20th.

#39 of 45 Old 12-13-2011, 12:48 PM

Anna - The range of "healthy weight gain" varies widely, and the numbers most OBs use are just average.  While you probably don't want to gain wildly because it increases the risk of some complications, I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers.  The quality of food you're eating is much more important - high protein, lots of fruits and veggies and whole grains.  They'll help you feel full faster and longer than sugary low-nutrient foods will.  It also helps me to space out food.  Whenever I start to feel hungry, I have some almonds or cheese and dried fruit.  Exercise is great, though, and makes me feel better all around.  I'd be careful if you are starting a new routine, but I am doing plenty of walking and yoga and weight training at almost 25 weeks.  Good luck, and don't let your doctor scare you.

#40 of 45 Old 12-14-2011, 07:55 AM

Thank you Southernfried!! I needed to hear some encouraging words. smile.gif I am really trying to not let it bother me. I will just keep eating healthy and hope for the best. 

Me (34) DH (33) We are the proud parents to Rebecca (11) and we are all three excitedjumpers.gif to welcome our newest addition  stork-boy.gif April 20th.

#41 of 45 Old 12-14-2011, 11:07 AM

See I keep telling myself that eating healthy is most important. But I also need to be exercising more. I went to my centering pregnancy group yesterday and I was the heaviest one there. I weighed 224.4 lbs. I am overweight and I know it. I have gained a pound now and that's it. I did feel extremely uncomfortable yesterday though.... I guess getting pregnant at the heaviest I have ever been was not something I planned. I know after Eleanor is born I will be breastfeeding, chasing DSS, and going to school. I am bound to loose some weight. I plan on using those four months after she is born to try and get in better shape before school starts. I am just very depressed about my weight in general right now. Having my Papaw tell me at Thanksgiving that I wouldn't make to April with this baby, kinda hit a nerve. I would love to be smaller and look pregnant, not just.... larger. 

Artist wife to dh_malesling.GIF. Mom to DSS superhero.gif (3 yrs) and DD (04/12).  brokenheart.gif (2/28/10). winner.jpgcd.gif

#42 of 45 Old 12-14-2011, 12:31 PM

Cseky- I'm so sorry you feel this way about your weight.  I too have struggled with my weight in the past.  It's a horrible place to be to feel so uncomfortable in your own skin and at the same time feel powerless to change it.

I have also gained more weight than I'd like with this pregnancy.  I'm 23 weeks and have gained about 25 lbs.  It's my 3rd, completely unexpected.  When I got pregnant I was 4 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight. I was so close!  Now I'm dealing with resigning from my job due to excessive stress and illlness, an 18 month DD, a 4 yr DD, and HUGE bills.  My husband has to get a 2nd job.  I've been sick with one thing or another for 5 months.  So now I'm just trying to be nice to myself.  As long as the baby gets what he needs I'm happy even if that means I get a little extra.  

You see, when I was pregnant with DD#2 I didn't gain very much weight in the 2nd trimester (2 lbs).  I'm not sure why.  I think it was because of stress at work (it has been stressful for a long time).  I took a LOA in the 3rd trimester and ate well, exercised, and rested.  In fact, in the end I gained the same amount of weight as w/DD#1 and was told repeatedly how huge I was.  'Are sure you aren't carrying twins?' 'Are you sure of your due date?'  'There is no way you'll carry this baby to 40 weeks.'  Or my favorite, 'OMG, you are HUGE!' I was able to carry her to 40 weeks and delivered at home.  And while overall she was healthy, she was small- 6 lbs 20.5 inches.  You could see her ribs and hip bones.  She had practically no fat at all.  I was disturbed by her appearance and grateful I changed my life to take better care of myself.

You will lose the weight, but in the meantime please remember- You are beautiful and doing the most beautiful, amazing thing that anyone can do- growing a healthy baby! 

hola.gifLaura, married to DH-Steve, DD- Gabriella (12/07), DD- Carolina (6/10), babyboy.gif due 4/6/12.toddler.gifhomebirth.jpgcd.gif

#43 of 45 Old 12-14-2011, 06:53 PM

cseky, I'm sorry you're feeling bad.  I know this won't help, but there's not a ton you can do at this point, except doing your best to be healthy, which is sounds like you're doing.  I'm one of those people that gain weight all over, and i think its just what my body needs to do to grow a baby.  So yeah, I'm not going to make any magazine covers, but it is what it is.  And as for what people say--well, sometimes they just want to say something you know?  Hugs to you....hug2.gif

#44 of 45 Old 12-16-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaB77 View Post

I am 5'8 with a pre-pregnacy weight of 165lbs. I was doing really well until me last appointment at 21 weeks. In 4 weeks between the appointments I gained 11lbs which is a total of 21lbs. I am really not sure how it happened. Most of what I eat is healthy. Although I admit to the occasional Orange Julius and pretzel while shopping. My doctor told me that it was too much and that I need to start exercising more and that I need to watch what I eat. Now I am trying to cut back but I feel like I am starving all the time.

Any suggestions?

I was 5'8 at 152, am at 174 now (22lbs). I told my MW I was concerned about my weight gain. She lectured me...on the importance of not thinking about weight numbers! She kept emphasizing veggies, fruits, and proteins. No sugar, and if I must indulge, NO SUGAR ON EMPTY STOMACH. She says if I follow those rules, any range of weight gain can be healthy. It made me feel a bit better. She also emphasized that I could gain a ton right now, and level off over the third trimester. 

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#45 of 45 Old 03-28-2012, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

I am generally petite. I am about 5 ft (technically 4'11.5 last time I was measured...which was years ago). My average pre-preg weight is about 120-125 I think....but I really don't weigh myself much. I have seriously weighed myself like only twice in the past year! Although I don't weight a lot, I do try to keep my weight in check (just by looking at myself visually). With being so short and having a family history of being over weight, I know how easily weight can get out of control.

I am currently 34 weeks pg with my 5th. I don't know my for sure pre preg weight but it would be probably somewhere between the above range give or take.
I was weighed at the hospital Saturday and I was 131....which really shocked me. I so figured I would be about 149. I am bigger with this pg than my others and I started out a little bigger too. But I had a lot more nausea with this pg than the others so I am sure that kept my weight down as I didn't eat much of anything. And by the time I got over the nausea my belly was so big I didn't have much room for food....so I can tell that I definitely eat a lot less than I did before I got pg.
But I still have those last few weeks of pregnancy and those are the ones that are known to pack on the lbs so who knows what my final weight will be. But I can tell just by looking at my legs and such that I have lost weight in them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page