Mothering Forum banner

I think I felt my first little flutter!

2K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  usagi629 
#1 ·
I know it seems insanely early to feel something at 13 weeks, but nothing else feels like that little flutter.

I was trying to sleep on my stomach, or at least mostly on my stomach last night when I sneezed a few times. Then there it was, in the right place, right in the hard ball of my uterus that is pretty easy to feel when I'm on my stomach, the faintest little butterfly kiss!

I felt my other kids at 15 weeks, and 14 weeks so it does not seem so far fetched to me.

Anyone else feel anything yet?

#2 ·
Yeah, although it's actually getting Less frequent!??! I felt the first movement at around 10 weeks, and was able to confirm baby heart beat in that spot with doppler a few minutes later. By 13 weeks it was every day, and now at 16 weeks it's once every 3 or 4 days. Interesting that it's reduced, but I'm not worried.

Congrats on your movement, that is truly the best part of pregnancy isn't it :)

#3 ·
I felt baby for the first time with no doubts this last Sunday, at just a day over 14 weeks. I haven't felt it again, though.

#4 ·
I've felt it a few times, too. I'm not 100% positive...but I'm pretty sure. I felt all my babies very early...around 12-13 weeks. I'm 14w2d now and I've felt it 3-4 times in the last week. :)

#6 ·
I think I felt it a few times over the past month but this past week (so week 15) I am positive it was the baby! It felt like something swim left to right in my belly & then back again. It's the only "for real" / that had to be baby! movement I've felt so far and it was a week ago. :( I want to feel more!

#7 ·
Still nothing for me at 13 weeks tomorrow. I do hope there's something soon though because this still doesn't seem real and it would be nice to feel to help me face this surprise a little more openly!

#9 ·
I'm really needing to feel movement to connect with my surprise baby too. Everything got much more real last night.

Surefirelime, Both of my previous babies felt very different early on. DD rolled around a lot, like a ball rotating in my pelvis. DS wiggled like a worm. This time it was a little butterfly kiss, maybe the hamster feet I read in another post. The early movements are so subtle, but as you get closer to 20 weeks you will start feeling little distinct kicks and punches. They seem to come as rapid little pokes at first. By 20 weeks you will be feeling them everyday. After that everything just gets more and more distinct and maybe a little slower, like stretches rather than rapid wiggles. I forget when they are easy to feel from outside, but it is not by 20 weeks for sure.

Location can be a big help when trying to decide if what you felt was a baby or not. Deep in the center just above your pubic bone? Probably the baby.

#10 ·
Thank you AbbieB! I don't think I've felt anything like that yet. I cannot wait though! I know it sounds silly but I don't "feel" pregnant since I haven't really had any of the bad stuff like morning sickness (thank goodness!), I think feeling the baby will make me feel like everything is okay! Hearing the heartbeat and seeing the ultrasound were amazing but I want to FEEL the little one moving around! :)

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surefirelime View Post

Thank you AbbieB! I don't think I've felt anything like that yet. I cannot wait though! I know it sounds silly but I don't "feel" pregnant since I haven't really had any of the bad stuff like morning sickness (thank goodness!), I think feeling the baby will make me feel like everything is okay! Hearing the heartbeat and seeing the ultrasound were amazing but I want to FEEL the little one moving around! :)
yeahthat.gif

#12 ·
Quote:

This is definitely the part of pregnancy where I especially get anxious because I am no longer sick, but I'm not really feeling anything so I worry that something's wrong. Whey woman and every pregnancy is different. Also, placement of the placenta can affect when you feel the baby for the first time. With DD I felt a very definite kick in my 14th week, another in my 16th week, and then more regular movements starting in my 18th week. It wasn't until my 18th week that I knew that the first 2 kicks were the baby and not my imagination or something else. This time around, I think I've felt the baby, but it's more of a rolling than anything super defined. So who knows, maybe it's the baby or maybe it's all the Mexican food I've been craving!

#13 ·
Quote:

This is definitely the part of pregnancy where I especially get anxious because I am no longer sick, but I'm not really feeling anything so I worry that something's wrong. Whey woman and every pregnancy is different. Also, placement of the placenta can affect when you feel the baby for the first time. With DD I felt a very definite kick in my 14th week, another in my 16th week, and then more regular movements starting in my 18th week. It wasn't until my 18th week that I knew that the first 2 kicks were the baby and not my imagination or something else. This time around, I think I've felt the baby, but it's more of a rolling than anything super defined. So who knows, maybe it's the baby or maybe it's all the Mexican food I've been craving!

#14 ·
I think I felt baby very early on once (in my 12th week) but then nothing for almost a month. Now I feel something I'm pretty sure is baby but it isn't necessarily every day. I do notice it more when I'm squatting or lying gently on my belly or after things that strain my lower abdominal muscles (sneezing, pooping, etc.--sorry, TMI). I believe it now, as I'm just at 18 weeks. It's totally not gas which I really got confused about with DD. I recall AFTER DD's pregnancy, feeling something that I had THOUGHT was baby movement when I clearly wasn't pregnant and then I laughed at myself for all the times I had though that was baby (woops!) I still don't think I'm feeling anything routinely enough to keep track of when it's there or not--my midwife said 18-20 weeks is generally when frequent and predictable movement starts being noticeable but that doesn't mean we might not feel it earlier, it just won't be as regular.

This pg we made the decision to forgo ultrasound until the 20 wk one (which I'm still not sure if I want to schedule) and haven't used doppler or anything, so I've had no external 'confirmation' of the pg other than the positive tests, symptoms, etc. I mean, my fundal height keeps on moving up, etc.--but it's weird that without hearing the heartbeat, seeing the pics, I've felt 'less' pregnant than with DD. I don't feel scared or anything, and feeling those movements is sure nice!! it's just very surreal to take it on faith that there's really a baby in there growing along whether I 'look' or not.

#15 ·
Believe it or not I started to feel movement at 8.5 weeks and on a daily basis. At 14 weeks there's much more movement not just in kicks and nudges but I can feel baby changing positions. It feels like it's crowded in there. I have felt/seen movement on the outside at least a dozen times now. This is by far the earliest of my 4 pregnancies. #1 was 16 weeks, #2 was 10 1/2 weeks, #3 was 14 weeks and outside movement could be felt by 17-19 weeks for 1 and 2. We definitely have a strong and energetic baby; the MW pointed out how you could hear the kicks and movement while she used the doppler and said it wasn't surprising I felt this little one so early. For this reason and measuring a month ahead, has us all a bit suspicious if it might be two babies.

#16 ·
AF - When/how will you try to determine whether there are two babies (if at all)? Did your MW give you her usually signs? Will she try with two dopplers? I'm so curious!

Also, is there any chance at all you could be a month ahead of what you think, and have had one of those "pregnant periods" the month before your current conception date? I'm always curious about those.

#17 ·
Rosie, we've decided on having an ultrasound to check and have one scheduled Nov. 1st. MW says it could be normal and mean nothing or it could mean multiples. She's hoping for twins I think as she was really excited at the thought and hasn't had twins in 3 years. She kind of didn't believe me when I mentioned where my uterus was, not even thinking that wasn't normal for my dates. When I lay down on the table and lifted my shirt for her to check, I saw the surprised look on her face, LOL. We didn't try checking for two heartbeats. We used the doppler once (well, tired and didn't work at 10 1/2 weeks. Then got to hear our sweet sign of life at 12 1/2 weeks) and will be using a fetoscope from now on. MW said 1 minute of doppler exposure, is equal to 30 minutes of ultrasound...something we're not comfortable exposing our babies to without good reason. If we hadn't decided on an ultrasound, MW said we would do the wait and see...meaning if it wasn't twins my growth would eventually slow down or if it was I would be obviously huge, LOL. I asked if maybe I wouldn't get huge though because there's some women that have surprise twins...she said nothing is absolute and anything is possible. The wondering is sort of torturous in an exciting way and we just want to know that everything is okay in there, so we opted to get an ultrasound. I'm nervous about it. I just want to hear there are healthy babies if there are two or a healthy baby if just one. This US just so happened to get scheduled for the same time (weeks/days) we had one and found out we lost Ollie. His placenta was also abnormally large, so that weighs heavily on me and causing some fear for why I'm measuring ahead.

I really don't think I'm a month ahead because I had a blood HCG pregnancy test done on 6/17...unless I'm one of those few people that can test negative and still be pregnant. I highly doubt that though.

#18 ·
Oh yeah, that pretty much rules out being a month ahead. Good luck with your ultrasound. When is it? Three weeks from now?

My friend never measured ahead until about 22 weeks and even then never looked THAT much bigger than a normal pregnant woman. She is tall, so our theory is that babies kind of hid in her long torso.

#21 ·
Ok, this was pretty funny. I had felt some things that didn't feel like gas and were in the right place, but a week ago at 13 weeks I felt something distinctive. This may be TMI, but oh well. I had just finished having an O and maybe 45 seconds later I feel what I am calling a massive kick. Definitely not a uterine contraction as it was sharp and brief and directed outward. Little guy didn't like it I guess.

#22 ·
I've thought I felt the flutter a number of times now, but never been 100% positive since it always seemed to coincide with just having eaten something. So, I can't rule out digestion. I think once maybe the flutter definitely wasn't digestion, but it just hasn't been consistent enough yet to be sure. I really don't remember how early I felt DS to know what might be "normal" for me. I'm expecting by 16 weeks to feel something more definite, but we'll see.

#23 ·
Usagi, definitely could be! My little one gets more active while I'm eating a big meal or right after...and it's unmistakable the thuds and pokes I'm feeling.

#24 ·
I was at a stoplight on the way to school about an hour ago. I felt five pops in about a two-inch area on the left side of my bump. Tears started streaming. That's my baby.

This is the best warm-fuzzies emocon I could find...
hearts.gif

Reactions: AnnaB77
#25 ·
OK. Last night I definitely felt more of a 'pop' 'pop' 'pop' than a 'flutter/gurgle', and it was the same time. Lying down in bed. I did just eat a light snack with my vitamin before bed, but digestion doesn't make a 'pop' 'pop' 'pop' hahaha

I also checked my blog from when I was pregnant with DS. I felt the first for-reals, no doubt, full on 'kick' at 17 weeks. Before, like with this one, I noted that it was too difficult to distinguish between baby flutter and digestion. At least I'm consistent in my uncertainty. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.