Flu Shot + Formula Marketing at the O.B. office - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 10-19-2011, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have found the perfect midwife. I am a nurse and work with her frequently and know the type of deliveries that she does. However the nurses in the office are  hassling me about receiving a flu shot and then gave me some promotion for a shopping spree sponsored by Enfamil. When I politley declined I was given quite an eye roll. Have you all received this type of formula marketing too?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 10-19-2011, 05:28 PM

The flu shot wouldn't bother me, I'll be getting mine next week.  However, the formula would bug me.  Not enough to leave if the midwife is awesome though.

Mama of three.

#3 of 34 Old 10-20-2011, 03:55 AM

The formula marketing would definitely bother me, but I'm sure that it's out of her control.  It's probably the clinic manager and OBs that she works with that does that.

I also plan to get my flu shot-- I am also a nurse and work in public health, so I know the value of vaccines and see the results when people don't get them.  It does make me a little sad when I hear of nurses refusing flu shots or other health related things (like not breastfeeding, smoking, being over weight, etc).  I always feel that as nurses, we should be excellent role models for health.

greenmulberry likes this.

Me = Healer, yogini, lactivist, step-mom, and wife to my dream come true joy.gif So grateful-- baby #1 April 2012

#4 of 34 Old 10-20-2011, 05:12 AM

I would have given her an eyeroll right back. Definately no Flu shot for me. My OB discussed it with me and made it sound like I was practically ending my baby's life by declining. We don't get the shot in this house.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#5 of 34 Old 10-20-2011, 05:23 AM

I never get flu shots after a bad reaction (stuck on a couch with a really annoying cold) to one ten years ago. After discussing with my MW I decided not to get one again, but for my DH to get one. I'm not against vaccines in general, but I think the risk (in my case) of an adverse reaction is higher than my risk of the flu.

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#6 of 34 Old 10-20-2011, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

my last pregnancy (ended at 10 weeks) while OB hunting i had a pre-visit consult with a nurse and told her i wouldnt be getting to flu shot durring pregnancy....she flipped out! i was shocked! she said "my tax dollars will have to pay for the special needs child you will be birthing if you dont get a flu shot"  i sat silent untill she was done (stunned realy) and said calmly "ill let the doctor decide that" and said he was fine with my decision not to get one.   people are crazy!!

DS-8/06 peace.gif
DD-5/08 innocent.gif
DD-4/12 loveeyes.gif
Due: July2014 shy.gif
semi crunchy, but getting crispier!

*** heartbeat.gif 5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40
#7 of 34 Old 10-20-2011, 09:32 AM

I have been a nurse for 6 1/2 years now and I am being forced to get a flu shot this year. I will be 19 weeks pregnant once the deadline hits. I say forced, but I do have a choice....I can get the shot and keep my job which I have worked at for 7 years OR I can refuse the shot and get fired. I tried talking to my OB about it and they seem to follow the rest of the propaganda thinking that pregnant women need this in order to survive the pregnancy. I am not getting hounded at visits for formula or the shot though. They are very pro-breastfeeding and respect our choice not to get the shot. They recommend it if we ask, but they don't push it.

I have no idea what I am going to do. I have only received the shot one time (last year) but I have no interest in getting one now while I am growing a child. According to the vaccine insert, the shot has not been tested for efficacy or safety in pregnant and breastfeeding women. It is also a class C drug. I have no interest in losing my job either. I love what I do and where I work.

Rikki ~~ Married Aug 04 ~~ DD Feb 06 ~~ DS Oct 07 ~~ DD April 12

#8 of 34 Old 10-20-2011, 10:28 AM

rik- ummmm..... this might unethical but is there a nurse that might feel the same way you do that can administer it for you but not really give it to you. I'm sorry that you are stuck in this rough spot.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#9 of 34 Old 10-20-2011, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My midwife encourages the shot but isn't being pushy about it at all. The clinic "welcome to being pregnant" class pushed it way more. I've never gotten one before in my life and I'm thinking I will get one this year, but I moreso want my DH's entire work office to get one ... those people are always sick, refuse to stay home while they're contagious, and inevitably DH brings home all kinds of nasty bugs for me to enjoy. Not pleased.

One of the formula companies sponsors some things (mama gear and informational materials, at least) so we get bags of stuff periodically and will get a backpack with a bunch of baby things at delivery. No one seems to be pushing the formula itself. So I'm OK with that.

fairy.gif (DSD 10yo) angel2.gif (29wks - 2/2012) babygirl.gifrainbow1284.gif (1/2013)

#10 of 34 Old 10-20-2011, 10:44 AM

I guess I'm DDCC, but a month or so ago I received a container of enfamil newborn formula in the mail.  I'm on my state's medicaid for this pregnancy so I think that's how they found me... or maybe because I gave my address to a maternity clothing store?  That's a creepy thought.  Let's say it was because of the medicaid.  Anyway, I've gotten several formula pamphlets in the mail, but getting the actual container made me feel so icked out.  And now I'm unsure what to do with the darn thing.  I think I should drop it off at a women's shelter, but of all the women who should be educated on the health and economical benefits of breastfeeding...  It could definitely help a mama who can't breastfeed but it feels weird to propagate enfamil. greensad.gif

om.gif married to my best friend guitar.gif; Proud mama of one fine boy! diaper.gif  ribboncesarean.gif;  stork-suprise.gif 4/14 Hoping for a vbac.gif

#11 of 34 Old 10-20-2011, 10:52 AM

If it is a class C drug, how can they force that on you:

Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.

My family = Me + DH plus new babe 5/12 make 3 buddamomimg1.png

#12 of 34 Old 10-20-2011, 10:57 AM

It looks like there are some flu vaccines that are category B so if you have to get one, make sure it is one of these:

FDA has classified FluLaval, Fluarix (GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals) and Agriflu (Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics Limited) influenza vaccines as “Pregnancy Category B” medications, indicating that animal reproduction studies have not demonstrated a fetal risk, but there are no controlled studies in pregnant women; all other influenza vaccines are classified as “Pregnancy Category C” medications, indicating that adequate animal reproduction studies have not been conducted.

My family = Me + DH plus new babe 5/12 make 3 buddamomimg1.png

#13 of 34 Old 10-20-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoremybabe View Post

rik- ummmm..... this might unethical but is there a nurse that might feel the same way you do that can administer it for you but not really give it to you. I'm sorry that you are stuck in this rough spot.

I could never do that. I don't want to risk my job like that. I would end up being fired and it just isn't worth it.

#14 of 34 Old 10-20-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicMom View Post

It looks like there are some flu vaccines that are category B so if you have to get one, make sure it is one of these:

FDA has classified FluLaval, Fluarix (GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals) and Agriflu (Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics Limited) influenza vaccines as “Pregnancy Category B” medications, indicating that animal reproduction studies have not demonstrated a fetal risk, but there are no controlled studies in pregnant women; all other influenza vaccines are classified as “Pregnancy Category C” medications, indicating that adequate animal reproduction studies have not been conducted.

Thanks for the list! I know Walgreen (local pharmacy) carries the 'thimerisol free' version. I will call and see if they offer one on the list. I am waiting until the last day to get it so I can be as far along as possible.

#15 of 34 Old 10-20-2011, 04:58 PM

Definitely no flu shot for me and formula advertising in general infuriates me.

chicken3.gif Student mama to four big kids and one brand new baby girl Lennon (04/17/12)

#16 of 34 Old 10-20-2011, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DDCC - No, no formula marketing. I haven't seen any for flu shots, either. I can't get one because I get IV's of antibodies monthly, and because of that, don't need a shot anyways. As far as the formula, the doctors deliver at a Baby Friendly hospital. Baby Friendly hospitals really encourage breastfeeding, and don't encourage formula. They do have some formula stuff in the office, but it is set off to the side and not promoted. I haven't been offered anything from a formula company.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#17 of 34 Old 10-20-2011, 05:25 PM

If an ob/gyn gave me formula propaganda they would no longer be my doctor and I would let them know that they are supporting the violation of WHO code.

I was ready to be offered a flu shot but I haven't been. As a nursing mom and a preggo mom, there's no way I'd take a drug that was a class C.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#18 of 34 Old 10-20-2011, 07:45 PM

I see a group of home birth midwives. There's not any formula propaganda or pressuring for flu vaccines.  They're about as Earthy and natural as you can get (while being thoroughly informed) <3

moss likes this.

Tanya treehugger.gif DH-Brian, DD Adri (8), DD Izzy (7), DS Ollie angel.gif (1/5/11 @ 17 weeks) and our rainbow1284.gif baby due April 12th, 2012.

Of all the lessons I did not learn as a child, or even as an adult; I learn through being, mother to my children. Through love and through pain, we are delivered and blessed!

#19 of 34 Old 10-21-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiryFairy View Post

I see a group of home birth midwives. There's not any formula propaganda or pressuring for flu vaccines.  They're about as Earthy and natural as you can get (while being thoroughly informed) <3

Me too and I'm soooooo glad for it.

AiryFairy likes this.

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#20 of 34 Old 10-21-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameragirl View Post

DDCC - No, no formula marketing. I haven't seen any for flu shots, either. I can't get one because I get IV's of antibodies monthly, and because of that, don't need a shot anyways. As far as the formula, the doctors deliver at a Baby Friendly hospital. Baby Friendly hospitals really encourage breastfeeding, and don't encourage formula. They do have some formula stuff in the office, but it is set off to the side and not promoted. I haven't been offered anything from a formula company.

I gave birth to my son at a Baby Friendly Hospital and had formula pushed on me because he was jaundice.  They even gave me free formula to take home (I declined).  I just wanted to get out of the hospital so I gave in.  Our breastfeeding relationship really never took off.  They had a bad Lactation consultant sent to me, referred me to a horrible lactation consultant, and no one ever listened to me.  So not all Baby Friendly hospitals are as pro breastfeeding as they say.

Otherwise, I hope my OB doesn't push the flu shot on me.  If she does I can truthfully say I'm allergic to eggs and she hopefully will back off then.  It's not a severe allergy, but whatever gets them to stop.  The first time I got a flu shot I developed pneumonia after a bad case of the flu.  The second time nothing happened, but I generally don't get the flu anyways.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#21 of 34 Old 10-21-2011, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueone View Post

I gave birth to my son at a Baby Friendly Hospital and had formula pushed on me because he was jaundice.  They even gave me free formula to take home (I declined).  I just wanted to get out of the hospital so I gave in.  Our breastfeeding relationship really never took off.  They had a bad Lactation consultant sent to me, referred me to a horrible lactation consultant, and no one ever listened to me.  So not all Baby Friendly hospitals are as pro breastfeeding as they say.

Otherwise, I hope my OB doesn't push the flu shot on me.  If she does I can truthfully say I'm allergic to eggs and she hopefully will back off then.  It's not a severe allergy, but whatever gets them to stop.  The first time I got a flu shot I developed pneumonia after a bad case of the flu.  The second time nothing happened, but I generally don't get the flu anyways.

Oh, you're right. Some are better than others about following the guidelines, even within the same hospital chains. I saw my OB again today at 20 weeks, and no mention of a flu shot at all so far. She does know I'm on IVIG which is contraindicated, but I haven't even seen posters or reminder cards anywhere.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#22 of 34 Old 10-21-2011, 03:52 PM

flu shots are evil and i'm surprised to see so many provax people here on Mothering~the natural mothering board.  sheesh.  i think it's completely unresponsible to inject dangerous toxins into my body when i'm carrying a child.  I hope that everyone on this thread has read the mothering mag articles about flushots. 

http://mothering.com/health/poison-in-our-vaccines-investigating-mercury-thimerosal-and-neurodevelopmental-delay

http://mothering.com/health/toxic-overload-assessing-the-role-of-mercury-in-autism
http://mothering.com/vaccines

more:

http://healthfreedoms.org/2011/10/10/flu-shots-have-more-than-250x-epa-mercury-safety-limit/

http://vran.org/about-vaccines/specific-vaccines/influenza-vaccine-flu-shot/effectiveness-of-flu-shots-wildly-overestimated/

to the op, the nurses at your midwives's office need to respect your decisions.  your midwife needs to know that they're giving you attitude about your decisions~their behaviour is completely unprofessional.

heartbeat.gif

#23 of 34 Old 10-21-2011, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

moss- a majority of the people who got it (on this thread) work in the health care field and it is required if they want to keep their job. ;)

DS-8/06 peace.gif
DD-5/08 innocent.gif
DD-4/12 loveeyes.gif
Due: July2014 shy.gif
semi crunchy, but getting crispier!

*** heartbeat.gif 5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40
#24 of 34 Old 10-21-2011, 09:04 PM

There are eight different preservative-free (aka, thimerosal-free) flu vaccine formulations this season, different ones for different age groups, so those who feel the need to get the flu vaccine may want to find a provider that can accommodate using a preservative-free option.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/vaccines.htm

Unschooling mama alongside DH (05/01) to DD (5/05).  Expecting #2 spring 2012!

#25 of 34 Old 10-22-2011, 05:14 AM

With my DD, I had a wonderful OB/midwife group that offered me the flu shot once.  I declined, and it wasn't brought up again.  They did give out formula in the office, but noted in my file that I would be BFing and never mentioned formula to me.  I did get formula in the mail, like a PP said, probably because I gave my address to a certain maternity clothing store.  I donated mine to a church group for expectant mothers.

With this pg, well, I don't love my providers as much.  They've asked me twice about the flu shot, and the second time they said, "oops, I see you've already been offered one...."  And they gave a bag of formula to each expectant mom during a "maternity orientation," but I just left mine on the table.  No biggie.  I don't have great expectations for this group, so I'm not really offended.  If anyone was flat out rude to me about it, like what some of the PPs have experienced, I would tell them that it was inappropriate and refuse to see that person again.

I feel really bad for those of you who are essentially forced to get them.  My DH is in that position, and it sucks.  hug2.gif

#26 of 34 Old 10-22-2011, 08:31 AM

I'm an RN and I worked for several years (through my last 2 pregnancies) at a very medical OB office. I got the flu shot both times because it was necessary for my job. We had the vax for employees only, so we did not give it to patients. If people asked about it, we told them to they could get it from their primary care doctor after the 1st tri if they wanted it. Even the last few years I have gone on my own to get the flu shot at a pharmacy and taken my kids to the ped to get it.

This year my family will not be getting the flu vax. It just doesn't seem worth it to me. We are generally very healthy people, and while we could contract the flu, I am not afraid of it severly damaging us in our general healthy state. My homebirth midwife will not offer it to me. I am not calling the ped. to schedule the kids. They aren't due for well child visits til spring, so it shouldn't be an issue to just let it pass us by.

When I worked at the office, we gave out all that formula junk, including a 36 week "breastfeeding support" kit from Enfamil that contained formula samples. I think officially, we promoted breastfeeding, but I was the only one wo worked there than nursed longer than 6 months. Everyone told me to wean when my baby got teeth. The samples didn't seem to bother anyone. But like I said, this was a very medical office. People were signing up for the epidural at their intake visit.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
#27 of 34 Old 10-23-2011, 06:18 AM

Mommy2Sammy~  It makes me sad when I hear people talk about being forced through the work to get vaccinated and people have to get it kicking and screaming without obviously getting the education with it.  Being a healthcare provider comes with responsibility to not only yourself and your family, but to the vulnerable population you come into contact with every day at work-- that's why your work "forces" you to get it.  I work with infants every day at my job and I'm happy to have the flu shot to protect myself, my baby, my family, and my patients.  Just my $.02.  Of course, I work in public health so it's my job to protect the public, and I know and study all the vaccine research as part of my work.

Me = Healer, yogini, lactivist, step-mom, and wife to my dream come true joy.gif So grateful-- baby #1 April 2012

#28 of 34 Old 10-23-2011, 06:26 AM

Moss~  Every person in life has different experience, education, etc that allow them to come to decisions in their life.  And, people make their decisions on the best information they have.  Your statements sound very judgemental and really everyone has the right to believe what they want, including you, without putting others down.  And, people also change their mind as they learn more-- for example, I used to be pretty anti-vax and then through some life experiences and education my view changed (we all continue learning and growing throughout life and I always try to keep an open mind).  I work with people that change their mind every day.  For some people it takes an experience happening to their very own family before they change their minds-- for example, I worked with a family last year that their infant died of influenza and no one in their family was vaccinated.  That experience changed their life in many ways, so you can never judge why people make the decisions they do.  Really in my experience, every mother (for the most part) does what they beleive is the best for their family and that may be different than what you believe.

SweetPotato likes this.

#29 of 34 Old 10-23-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessimaca View Post

Moss~  Every person in life has different experience, education, etc that allow them to come to decisions in their life.  And, people make their decisions on the best information they have.  Your statements sound very judgemental and really everyone has the right to believe what they want, including you, without putting others down.  And, people also change their mind as they learn more-- for example, I used to be pretty anti-vax and then through some life experiences and education my view changed (we all continue learning and growing throughout life and I always try to keep an open mind).  I work with people that change their mind every day.  For some people it takes an experience happening to their very own family before they change their minds-- for example, I worked with a family last year that their infant died of influenza and no one in their family was vaccinated.  That experience changed their life in many ways, so you can never judge why people make the decisions they do.  Really in my experience, every mother (for the most part) does what they beleive is the best for their family and that may be different than what you believe.

I'd also like to add that although it is nice to have a place (mothering) where like-minded people can come together, to my knowledge, there are not hard & fast rules about what you must believe to be part of this group. Yes, the mothering community is a bit "crunchier" than most and the folks here have a focus on natural living, but everyone's definition of that is different. It isn't mandatory to have natural vaginal childbirth at home, cloth diaper, co-sleep, babywear, eat only certain foods, be anti-vax, or even BF to be a part of the mothering community. Yes, most people on here do some or most of things, but we all have different ways of parenting and living a "natural" life and that is part of what makes the community interesting.

As for me, I likely won't be getting the flu vax. I am NOT anti-vax in general, as I think vaccines have their place in society. I am, however, highly selective about the vaccines my family does recieve and when, because I know that although vaccines can be great in certain cicumstances, they are not without risk. I try to weigh the risk/benefit ratio of every vaccine before making the decision to get (or avoid) that vaccine for my family.

#30 of 34 Old 10-23-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessimaca View Post

Mommy2Sammy~  It makes me sad when I hear people talk about being forced through the work to get vaccinated and people have to get it kicking and screaming without obviously getting the education with it.  Being a healthcare provider comes with responsibility to not only yourself and your family, but to the vulnerable population you come into contact with every day at work-- that's why your work "forces" you to get it.  I work with infants every day at my job and I'm happy to have the flu shot to protect myself, my baby, my family, and my patients.  Just my $.02.  Of course, I work in public health so it's my job to protect the public, and I know and study all the vaccine research as part of my work.

I am extremely educated about the flu vaccine and I will still be 'kicking and screaming' when I am forced to get it while pregnant. I may be a healthcare provider, but that does not mean that I have to toss aside my beliefs due to my job choice. I do not believe that people should be forced to get a vaccine that the parents of my patients are not also forced to get. Their visitors are not forced to get. THEY are the ones who put their babies at risk. WE scrub to our elbows before every shift and WE scrub our hands between each patient. Visitors rarely even hit the soap dispenser in-between wetting their hands at the sink before touching the infant. WE don't come to work sick...we just don't. If we are sick we stay home. If the visitors are sick they pretend not to be while they visit. I am not exaggerating this, I am telling it like it is. If we, as healthcare providers, have to get a cocktail injected into our bodies to 'protect' our patients then why do we not require all of the visitors to also 'protect' the babies with the same cocktail?

Also, why is it that now, in 2011, 'they' have decided that the flu shot is a requirement for work when the past 6 years I have worked the same job it was optional? We have never had a baby in our unit get the flu, we have never had a nurse come to work with the flu, we have never had a flu outbreak in our women's center....it wasn't a problem before but it is now. My unborn child should not be a guinea pig....as stated before, the flu shot has not been tested on pregnant or lactating women for safety or efficacy. I personally had perfect attendance last year. I didn't call in sick once....because I wasn't sick all year. I take care of myself without the use of toxic ingredients.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page