So what's the deal with fundal height? Does it matter? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With DD (first pg, first baby), my midwife checked fundal height at each visit, and she stayed on track until the end, but never measured beyond 37 weeks.  She was smallish, 6 lb. 13 oz.

With this pg, (16 weeks tomorrow), my belly button is about 60% flattened out already, and it feels like my fundus is about 1 finger below it. My belly is also hard almost everywhere below my belly button (and my bowel issues have subsided; no possibility of twins; only gained maybe 2 lbs total).  This baby did measure almost a week ahead at a 11-week u/s, but geez.  My new midwife group hasn't checked my fundal height at all.

Does fundal height mean much for 2nd or subsequent pgs?  Can it mean a bigger baby?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 03:26 PM

Well, I can give you my experience. I've never measured large with any of my four...well a week or two maybe, and then at the end.  This time, it's more like what you're describing. 16 weeks and it's one finger width over my belly, with no apparent reason. I think it's too early to assume measurements are affected by fluid levels, baby size, etc. And if there aren't twins, I would have to guess that the uterus is just growing in leaps and bounds and will have periods where the growth doesn't remain steady, allowing baby to catch up.  Either that or it's something in the water and it'll be a April DDC thing LOL

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:40 PM

I don't know much except my MW says measuring ahead can be normal and mean nothing or it could mean multiples.  I've always measured right where I should be except this time.  We decided to have an ultrasound to see if we might be having twins; at 14.4 weeks I was measuring 19 weeks (fundus right at the bottom of my navel).  I suppose how a woman carry's could be a factor in the case of a singleton???

Tanya treehugger.gif DH-Brian, DD Adri (8), DD Izzy (7), DS Ollie angel.gif (1/5/11 @ 17 weeks) and our rainbow1284.gif baby due April 12th, 2012.

Of all the lessons I did not learn as a child, or even as an adult; I learn through being, mother to my children. Through love and through pain, we are delivered and blessed!

Old 10-20-2011, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Anxious to see if either of you have mulitples.  Me, not a chance, as I had a u/s when I had the little hemorrhage.   No chance my dates are off, either.  So weird.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:16 PM

You sound just about right on for size to me!  A general rule of thumb is at 20weeks, your fundus is usually right at your umbilicus..  After that point, your fundal height in cm will correspond (not always!) with how many weeks pregnant you are.  You wouldn't usually start to measure fundal height until after 20 weeks.  A few cm either way is totally normal, and even a crazy off measurement can be normal, affected by fetal lie or possibly contractions you may be having when your practitioner happens to be measuring you, or even a growth spurt.  I wouldn't worry about being "off" unless it was consistent and a big variation.

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
Old 10-21-2011, 09:18 AM

i'm fifteen weeks tommorrow and i still can't find my fundus!  It's just not hard at all.  i wish i had a midwife i could call and ask about it, it's not worth calling my obgyn.  i'm sure it's not an issue but i'm curious about it.

happily married to my rock and roll cowboy guitar.gif since 2009, living the dream with our Rosebud, 26/04/12 joy.gif

Old 10-21-2011, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

im 13 weeks today and have been keeping track of my fundal height since i could feel it, i am always about 2 weeks ahead. is this a normal amount to be measuring over?

DS-8/06 peace.gif
DD-5/08 innocent.gif
DD-4/12 loveeyes.gif
Due: July2014 shy.gif
semi crunchy, but getting crispier!

*** heartbeat.gif 5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40
Old 10-21-2011, 10:11 AM

Two weeks ahead or behind is consider the normal variance for fundal height (due to body type, growth spurts, etc).

Old 10-21-2011, 10:23 AM

I think that it's normal with subsequent babies to measure a little larger because it's been stretched before. In my experience, I measured small with my first pregnancy...but she was born on time, fully term and was a good, average size...but with all my others I measured either right on track or a little large. I wouldn't put too much stock into what it means at all, IMO.

chicken3.gif Student mama to four big kids and one brand new baby girl Lennon (04/17/12)

Old 10-21-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

All that is good to hear.  I wasn't really worried, just wondering if there's any meaning to it.  Sounds like not, unless the variance is dramatic.  Grow babies grow!  love.gif

Old 10-22-2011, 12:27 PM

This was so good to read. I am 15 weeks today and about 1 below the umbilicus. I am a fraternal twin. Multiples are seriously on my mind. I am also 5'2'' and this is my third baby. My midwife said everything was fine 2 weeks ago, but my uterus has grown SO MUCH since then. I will have an u/s in November. We'll know for sure then!

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
Old 10-22-2011, 06:05 PM

I could feel the fundus at first - until about week 10 it seemed about an inch above my pubic bone.  Now I know it's higher but I can't really find it.  I was a bit fluffy in the belly before (15 lbs overweight) so maybe that is why I can't feel it now.  I've only gained 2 lbs but I look pregnant and I guess it's doing what it's supposed to.  I wouldn't even care much but my baby has been measuring a bit smallish since the beginning.  (like days behind, not weeks)

Married since June 2009  fencing.gif

Expecting our first in early April 2012 stork-suprise.gif

Old 10-23-2011, 12:51 PM

During my first pregnancy I always measured about 4 weeks ahead - singleton pregnancy.  However, baby measured exactly where she should have during my US. 

During my 2nd pregnancy I also always measured 4 weeks ahead as well.  I'm actually looking through my pregnancy book lol  That was also a singleton pregnancy with baby measuring exactly right as well. 

It is normal for ME to measure much larger, but I was still shocked at the 6 week difference this time.  The MW said that the only concern with measurement is that it reach the belly button BY 20 weeks, and it really doesn't have to mean anything otherwise, especially since it's my third. I am going in for a US in the next two weeks or so to measure baby and, of course, make sure that it is just one baby  (Multiples do run in my family, however, I doubt that I'd get that lucky!).

#1 DD 6, #2DD 4  -- EDD 4/30/2012

Old 10-24-2011, 12:53 PM

tarabelle - I wouldn't worry about not being able to find your fundus.  I am 14 weeks and my midwife couldn't even find mine - was guessing.  I have pretty firm ab muscles and a prior abdominal surgery which probably created a lot of scar tissue so it is just hard to feel. 

My family = Me + DH plus new babe 5/12 make 3 buddamomimg1.png

Old 11-04-2011, 11:16 AM

Another thing...I don't know if others experience this "phenomenon" too...but it seems like my uterus "popped up higher" drastically..like OVERNIGHT! I hit 16 weeks and suddenly it seems like my fundal height grew dramatically all of a sudden. WEIRD.

chicken3.gif Student mama to four big kids and one brand new baby girl Lennon (04/17/12)

Old 11-04-2011, 01:01 PM

I myself have a feel of where the uterus sits from 10+ weeks and I have felt larger than dates for the past 3 pregnancies. Measuring earlier than 20w isn't very reliable so I dont get the tape out until past that point. I have found that I get big real fast but come 20w, it has all evened out to within 2cm of where it "should" be. xo

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

Old 11-04-2011, 01:33 PM

Suadade, I've definitely had that more than once. It seems to coincide with dates I have excessive trouble sleeping the most. I go three days or so without sleeping and then suddenly in one 24 hour period it will go up 2-3 finger widths and then I'm back to getting at least 4-5 hours sleep each night for another week.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 PM

I am so glad to read of all of the variations. At 10 wks, I measured 14; and now at 16 weeks I'm measuring 20. At first I was VERY excited at the thought of multiples, but I'm pretty sure there's only one in there. I have my u/s on friday (my anniversary!) so we'll know for sure then.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by winterhalter View Post

I am so glad to read of all of the variations. At 10 wks, I measured 14; and now at 16 weeks I'm measuring 20. At first I was VERY excited at the thought of multiples, but I'm pretty sure there's only one in there. I have my u/s on friday (my anniversary!) so we'll know for sure then.

Keep us posted! It would be fun to have a least one set of multiples in the DDC.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saudade View Post

Another thing...I don't know if others experience this "phenomenon" too...but it seems like my uterus "popped up higher" drastically..like OVERNIGHT! I hit 16 weeks and suddenly it seems like my fundal height grew dramatically all of a sudden. WEIRD.

Yes! This! I went from only appearing fat and feeling a little rock to looking PREGNANT and have a big uterus up to my belly button. I thought it was in my head until yesterday hubs looked at me while dressing and said "You ARE pregnant!" It was cute. Then at school I caught a number of people looking at my belly. That hadn't happened before yet either. Whee!

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).

User Tag List