Chat thread Oct 24-31 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 10-26-2011, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Had an appointment with my midwife today.16 Got to hear the heartbeat...bumblebee must have been sleeping, it was only 130 and is usually in 140s or150s.16 Was able to confirm that I was right on the placement of my placenta (front right and up high), which is cool (I'm sort of a wanna be midwife so I love it when I assess these things right).16 Also, I'm only measuring 21-22cm at 17 weeks so she doesn't think it's twins.16 I guess I just get the advantage of being huge and measuring further ahead each time for one gigantic baby LOL

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

#32 of 49 Old 10-27-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post
So last night, I couldn't get comfortable, and i was rolling around trying to find a sleeping position that didn't hurt my sciatica or anything else, and somehow baby got smushed on one side of my uterus.  So on the right side of my belly button, it was like a 45* slope and on the left side there was a baseball.  I woke DH up to make him feel it, and it definitely wasn't my imagination.  This morning I realized what I was doing was basically a Roll-Over a la Spinning Babies.  So I guess there's some truth in it!  Anyone else trying to learn about fetal positioning?  I'm not sure what I should be doing right now, other than not lounging too much. 

I think I had something similar happen to me this morning!  I was sleeping on my right side with DD, and turned towards my back and then suddenly there was this hard lump a couple of inches below my belly button.  I felt around and kinda poked at it, and it was definitely there... but then it wasn't anymore.  It was neat but weird. LOL  I've felt a few little *somethings* mostly high on the right side of my uterus but nothing really strong.  Last time I had an anterior placenta that muffled a lot of the early movement, and I wonder if I have the same this time.

knit.gifLaura, mama to my wonderful Wilhelmina (11/08) energy.gif and my precious Peregrine (4/12) babyboy.gif

#33 of 49 Old 10-27-2011, 06:56 AM

Last night on a lark I was poking around my belly and I'm pretty sure I found the head. That was just so cool. I had no idea what was going on at this point last time, but this being the second time through it's neat finding all these things earlier.

Not that it means anything now, but last night baby was head down :) Of course it spends most of its time bouncing off the walls, so who knows.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#34 of 49 Old 10-27-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicMom View Post

ummm, I swear I just ate 1/2 c. of mayo by itself.  I never really liked mayo but started making my own fermented mayo with coconut, olive and avocado oil and I can't get enough of it.  I made another batch last week and almost cried when it broke.  NO!  I started over with some more egg yolks and used the previous broken batch as the oil and drizzled in.  It broke again!  I couldn't believe it.  I had to walk away for an hour.  I came back and tried a third time and it worked.  Still no idea why but I'm in heaven now.

I would love the recipe for this if you are able to share it! 

HazelBranch: I had a similar thing happen this morning. Little round firmness a bit under my belly button which is gone now. I have been able to feel some movement here and there but nothing on a consistent basis. I am looking forward to it though. :)

We had interviews with the two midwife groups that we were considering. I think we are pretty much set on who we are going with but I want to discuss it a little further with my husband this weekend. 

I am still feeling pretty great. I have been fighting a cold for over a week which has been a bummer, but I am definitely feeling less exhausted. Still short on patience though which is hard for me to deal with, so I can only imagine how my husband and son feel about it. 

#35 of 49 Old 10-27-2011, 09:45 AM

Well, I've decided not to get the prenatal rhogam.  I'm pretty sure this is the last one for us, so I'm thinking of not getting the post-partum shot, either.  My MW is on board w/ that, as is DH.  I've researched it, given it a lot of thought, prayed a lot about it, and feel at peace w/ my decision.  I'll be cancelling my OB appt and just work w/ the MW from here on out.  If I decide to get the PP shot, I can go to the walk-in clinic or ER and they can give it to me there.

Feeling more little flutters!  Very exciting.  We also heard a kick @ the MW's when we heard the heartbeat, very neat!!

Prettyisa - I've been eating granola bars, yogurt, and ham and cheese crackers.  Maybe fruit.  Although sometimes all I want is a big plate of french fries, lol.

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#36 of 49 Old 10-27-2011, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DH felt the baby kick two nights ago! It was so random but perfect because I was getting ready to go to bed and then this little guy just started rolling and kicking.  With DS it was always a waiting game because he would kick and then wiggle away or just wait.  This one was moving his/her position so that made it easier to feel more movement.  So fun!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#37 of 49 Old 10-27-2011, 12:08 PM

Sorry you are all having hard times with your docs! I guess I'm lucky in that I love mine! He kind of fell into my lap so to speak, when my ectopic pregnancy ruptured my right tube 3 years ago.  He happened to be the doctor on call and took very good care of me and especially of DH.  He's very good at letting me say no to his suggestions and not making a fuss about it.  I have also never had such soft pap smears!  Every female doc I've had has been much less gentle than him.  He was unfortunately out of town for DD's birth, but I was lucky enough that the oncall doc was my friends OB and I had heard good things about him.  Hopefully he'll be here this time around!

Is anyone still having nipple pain?  I don't know if it has to do with this pregnancy or the fact that I just weaned DD.  I wake up in the morning and my nipples, especially the left one, feel like they're on fire if anything touches them.  I just weaned DD at the end of September/beginning of October so I'm wondering if it's somehow related since that's about when they started hurting again.

Starting to feel this little one a little more.  It's just so different from last time though!  DD was such a kicker from the very beginning and this one is just little bubbles and very slight rolls.  When my mom was pregnant, she nicknamed my brother Thumper and I was Mouse.  I think this one is my Mouse and DD was my Thumper.

Anyone else been dealing with a cold? DD is just about done with hers so I'm hoping that means mine will be done soon!  It's been a week and I'm just ready to be done!

Erin , loving wife to Dave, mom to 3cat.gif, angel.gifangel.gifDec. '06, angel.gifOct. '08, DD Reagan Oct. 3, 2009

and DS Jack April 4,2012

#38 of 49 Old 10-28-2011, 12:44 PM

Wow, all these issues you all have described with pg care providers suck!  Sorry for all those dealing with them.  I am so glad to live in a state that doesn't throw a wrench in my homebirth plans...I kind of think of birth as a human rights issue and get really irked when I think about it being legislated to have to take place in a hospital, etc!!

I've just gotten over a cold as well--sounds like there's something really going around!  DD had it and then I got it too.  No fun!  I'm glad my ears have finally depressurized--we're flying in a week and the one time I flew with a bad cold was enough for me, I think I burst my eardrum then, I was (an adult) crying like a baby.  I've been making sure to take my Vitamin D and C right now!

Just had a midwife appointment yesterday and they thought they could hear the heartbeat but not clear enough to count anything (we've opted not to do doppler so they're just using stethoscopes/fetoscopes).  Baby was pretty quiet during the exam but when I woke up yesterday, I was feeling some stretching and kind of rubbed where I felt it and got poked from the inside!  I gently pressed back and got poked again!!  SOOO excited to feel movement from the outside so early (early for me, I'm 18 weeks now).  Haven't been able to replicate it but won't worry about hearing the heartbeat so much now that I have felt something like that.

In other news, somehow I completely lost a week--I was just convinced I was 19 weeks (oops!)  not sure which one I cut out but was kind of bummed to have to "relive" a week...I must REALLY feel like it's dragging along (yikes!)  My midwives are coming up with different due dates but since I went over with DD, I'm not really focusing on the due date so much, I figure 'early spring' is good enough (but I'll still be counting 'weeks' like crazy!)

We decided to do a quick anatomy scan (ultrasound) and have it scheduled for Thursday--SO excited to find out the gender.  Even though I'd be fine not knowing, I think it will really help me (and DD and DH) bond...I have no intuition one way or another yet so am very curious.  We found a place that will do a quick limited scan (head circumference, heart, placental placement, and gender if desired) which makes DH feel much better as that's a big holdup for him when considering a homebirth.  I'm not worried, even with the idea of a complication, we're literally blocks from a great hospital that has a NICU, great ER, and a reputation for reaching out to midwives and establishing relationships with them to ease transfers.  We're really lucky in that respect and it helps put our minds at ease.

Unschooling mama alongside DH (05/01) to DD (5/05).  Expecting #2 spring 2012!

#39 of 49 Old 10-30-2011, 05:20 PM

I'm a little bummed out; I may have just discovered the first thing I can't do because of baby. My cousin is getting married on the other coast at the end of June. Baby will be 3mo give or take a few weeks. Cousin send a "save the date" facebook message. I sent a half-joking "Mind if I bring a little one" in my reply. She said "I think the wedding will be kidless but I can't wait to meet the little bugger over the weekend. My best friend/bridesmaid is due the first week of may so they can be playmates!"

What does that mean? She expects me to come but to leave my baby with someone during the wedding? Me to come out for the trip but not actually attend the wedding? What will her bridesmaid be doing with the baby while she's in the wedding? Sigh. 

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#40 of 49 Old 10-30-2011, 05:33 PM

RosieL that reply is a little vague...not really sure what she meant, I would hope she doesn't expect you to come all the way out there and not attend the wedding???  keep us posted!

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

#41 of 49 Old 10-30-2011, 05:57 PM

Yes, I'm pretty confused. :-/ I asked what her bridesmaid is going to do with her baby during the wedding. Hopefully it'll make her think a little more. I have no troubles with kidless weddings (I had one), but I also don't equate newborn to kid. shrug.gif

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#42 of 49 Old 10-30-2011, 06:26 PM

Rosie, that does suck. I probably wouldn't be going under those circumstances--the bridesmaid will probably leave her baby with a nearby family member with bottles.  I guess that's what people do...I guess.

In June, I went to my cousin's kid-free wedding in NY.  DH couldn't come, because he had just started a new job, and my parents were going, so there was no one to leave DD with.  So I took her.  Basically when the RSVP came, I wrote 2--my name and DD's name (she was 2.5 at the time).  I figured that since my cousin's nephews (4 years old and 3 months old) were going, it wasn't really kid-free.  And it turns out it was fine.  It is frustrating though.  And stressful.  I think I would save the date and then wait and see what happens with the bridesmaid before making firm plans.  She might decide that she doesn't want to leave her baby either.

#43 of 49 Old 10-30-2011, 07:08 PM

Rosie--I'm going to be the Matron of Honor in my best friend's wedding a month after my due date (insane I know). But I am bringing both the new baby and my DSS to the wedding (DH and my mother will be there for the festivities and help). The only thing I encountered was when she asked tonight why I would bring the baby to the bachelorette party. It's an overnight thing and my mother is coming with me. The baby will be either in the hotel room with my mom or at my aunt and uncle's house until we are done. I will of course be the designated driver and just make sure everyone has fun for the couple of hours we are out. I could not believe that she expected me to separate myself from my newborn for a whole night when he or she will be only a month old and I plan on breastfeeding as well. I don't equate newborn to a kid either. I don't understand why some people do. I don't plan on being more than a quick trip to the supermarket away from my newborn until the fall semester starts anyway. 

Artist wife to dh_malesling.GIF. Mom to DSS superhero.gif (3 yrs) and DD (04/12).  brokenheart.gif (2/28/10). winner.jpgcd.gif

#44 of 49 Old 10-30-2011, 08:49 PM

Rosie - I've encountered a few of those "kid free" situations. At one wedding we were told by the bride and groom that we should have brought our baby. I wish that I would have known but he was almost a year at the time so it was okay to leave him for a couple of hours with my sister. Then at another wedding I went with my newborn and DH stayed home with a kiddo. At other times we've declined.

I admit, kid free stuff irritates the heck out of me. Probably because we encounter it way too often in my opinion. I just wish that people would give parents the option. I realize that money can be an issue but honestly, a few kids doesn't affect a dinner bill that much. I would know, we had well over 50 children at our wedding!

I think that I finally gained 2-3 lbs! My chest is finally starting get bigger again too. I'll probably be complaining in a couple of months.

I have another appt on Wednesday. I am anxious to hear the HB again for more reassurance that everything is okay. I don't know why I am so on edge with this pregnancy. Maybe because we've already had 3 healthy babies and I'm a "what if" thinker.

I've taken to applying an ice pack to my head when a headache starts. It seems to be doing the trick. The tylenol and coffee wasn't working anymore.

I hope that all is well with everyone else!

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#45 of 49 Old 10-31-2011, 03:46 AM

I tried to comb my brain yesterday to figure out if there were any newborns around the time of our wedding, and there weren't. Closest was a 1 year old. I am pretty sure I didn't think about it too much, which kind of leads me to believe that before you think about caring for a newborn, you may have no picture or idea that newborn-mama separation is kind of a big deal. Plenty of the population still have no concept of breastfeeding as a norm, so why would it enter their consciousness that it might be a problem to leave baby with someone for a night? I'm guessing this is the case with cuz. She's quite young and far from thinking about kids. 

Adoremybabe - We had a real tough one at our wedding. DH has a HUGE family. Out venue was incredible, but it only had capacity for a fixed number of people under the fire code. We had to not invite a large swatch of people we should have invited. So it wasn't a money thing for us, it was more of a person swap thing, and it's why we had a kidless wedding. Each 4-12 year old would have meant taking away an adult. If we did it all over again, I'd have to find a bigger location. Congrats on the 2-3 pounds! I'm constantly amazed at hoe different all of our bodies can handle our pregnancies, and yet we'll all have our little healthy babies in the end. It's pretty cool. 

cseky - I'm with you. As I wrote above, I think some people just don't "get" why separating a newborn from a mama can be a big deal. I have a friend who formula fed from the beginning and still doesn't see what the big deal is. :-/ Good luck with the wedding and newborn! Sounds like you have good support. :)

#46 of 49 Old 10-31-2011, 05:11 AM

Rosie - I should have said that I also understand that some situations call for those tough decisions. Hindsight is amazing isn't it?  We were lucky enough to find a space to accomodate our 300 + wedding guests. Anywho....  :)

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#47 of 49 Old 10-31-2011, 06:42 AM

I've never been to a childless wedding, but I always thought the premise was to avoid kids' crying or loud talking during the ceremony, and so the adults could cut loose at the open bar w/out having to worry about Junior seeing them drunk.  I'd never thought about it being a numbers game, but that makes sense, too.

Hope everyone has a good day!  Happy Halloween!

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#48 of 49 Old 10-31-2011, 07:25 AM

As a former wedding planner the concept of kid free weddings largely annoys me. Yes, I get some people want a fancy party, but I really believe weddings should be a family affair. It does seem that most of the impetus behind childfree weddings is that there's a lot of rhetoric about how kids are loud, annoying, and messy, and unfortunately little about the needs of a newborn and the newborn mother (as a LLL Leader I can totally attest to this). I suspect that this person doesn't really get the kid thing, and if you talk to her she'll change her tune.

That said, I also really think no one should have a child under 4 in the wedding party (unless it's the child of the bride or groom). I've seen that end with tears and fits too many times. 9 times out of 10 a young child can't walk down the aisle with people staring at them without freaking out or without having a parent hold their hand the entire time. If it works, it's cute, but it almost never works. Heck, we had a hard time getting our 7 year old flower girl to focus!

I seem to have hit a resurgence of morning sickness. It's still so much easier than last time, but man, morning sickness round 3 sucks. Also my mood issues have come back unfortunately. I had some pretty serious depression off and on in the first trimester which went away, but showed up again this weekend. DH isn't dealing with it well either, and we got into a big fight over it the other day.

Long story short, DH hates boys names and refuses to talk about them unless it's absolutely necessary. I figured he was doing this just to annoy me (I love talking names) and told him as much. Specifically, that there were many times when an important but frivolous conversation would have helped my mood greatly, but he refused just to screw with me. He got really offended by that and it turns out he finds the idea of naming a boy really upsetting because boy names suck (I largely agree...so many of the good ones have been taken by girls; Ashley for instance) and it doesn't help that we have some serious restrictions on them. So cue giant fight over this, and now I'm dreading the ultrasound this week because if it's a boy it's going to be hard for awhile.

I want to make it clear, we have no problem with raising a boy, just naming him. I'd be perfectly happy having a boy, as would DH.

Anyways, DH claims that he'll jump right into naming the hypothetical boy (hypothetical girl is already named) and we'll probably have a name picked out in a few days. I hope that's true, but he's notorious for putting off conversations as long as possible.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#49 of 49 Old 10-31-2011, 08:10 AM

Wow Ashley, I thought for sure I was the only former wedding planner in the group. I agree with the annoyance at child free weddings. In my mind the point to a wedding is a union which will most likely end in children (the family unit being the focus of marriage even if it remains just the two of them). How can we celebrate family while excluding anyone with family (or forcing them to exclude half of their own family)...the notion seems oxymoronic to me, but maybe it's just me. I agree that most people which declare their wedding as child free have just not taken the time to think about the realities of their choices (and the implications of the symbolism), but also have not thought of how this will affect them when they're invited to similar events in the future when their children are the ones in question. I realize there are some extenuating circumstances which require it, but when it's for comfort or convenience I don't get it.

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page