stretch marks... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 11-08-2011, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

are you doing anything special for your belly skin these days?

heartbeat.gif

#2 of 30 Old 11-08-2011, 09:04 AM

My mom didn't get marks. For a first pregnancy, when do they start? 

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#3 of 30 Old 11-08-2011, 09:08 AM

A friend gave me a tub of pure cocoa butter..... which is pretty hard to get soft and rub on the belly. So I melted it and whipped it up with some almond and grapeseed oils so it's fluffy. I've been rubbing that on nightly. I also love mother's special blend oil...... I'll be picking up some of that real soon.

Other than that.... just crossing my fingers and praying for no more new stretch marks... the ones from my 1st pg are not that bad at all (or rather, they don't bother me all that much). They're all below my belly button and low on my belly. I didn't even know I had them until after I delivered my son and my belly started to get smaller :-)

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

#4 of 30 Old 11-08-2011, 09:10 AM

I'd say that stretch marks can show up pretty much anytime. But for me it was right at the end....

My mom and sister have A LOT so I tried to prepare myself to experience the same. I was pleased that I seemed to get what I would consider to be only a few....

Kim - momma to Parker James REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif3/31/09 and Eva Lorraine energy.gif3/17/12

#5 of 30 Old 11-08-2011, 10:08 AM

I've been using bio-oil.  It's my first pregnancy and i don't have much experience with this but it comes with a recommendation from a good friend whose sisters both used it through their multiple pregnancies.

happily married to my rock and roll cowboy guitar.gif since 2009, living the dream with our Rosebud, 26/04/12 joy.gif

#6 of 30 Old 11-08-2011, 10:14 AM

I got them really early with my 1st, like around 20 weeks. I tried various oils and lotions but nothing really worked well. This time I am using bio-oil for stretch marks. It smells good, is easy to rub in and I don't mind using it nightly like some of the other things I tried. The only bad thing about it is the price. A bottle costs like $20 but it will last the entire pregnancy probably.

Wife to Geof reading.gif (4/10), Mom to Connorbabyf.gif(7/14/10) and Cayleigh babygirl.gif (4/20/12). Living with Factor V Leiden (7/12).

#7 of 30 Old 11-08-2011, 03:55 PM

I was a little shocked by the price too, but it seems like a lot isn't needed for good coverage which is nice.  We'll see if it actually works, but if it does, i'll call it a bargain, lol!

happily married to my rock and roll cowboy guitar.gif since 2009, living the dream with our Rosebud, 26/04/12 joy.gif

#8 of 30 Old 11-08-2011, 05:43 PM

I used cocoa butter last pg and am using bio-oil this pg.  I put it on when I get out of the shower, the tops and sides of my thighs and belly.  Although TBH I'm not convinced that it has anything to do with the moisture on your skin--I suspect it is mostly genetic.  Fortunately you get two parents!  My mom's belly is A MESS.  Think Kate of John and Kate Plus 8 after she had the sextuplets.  I came out of pg #1 with one 1 inch stretch mark over where my belly button was pierced and a couple really faint ones at the tops of my thighs.  So you really never know.  I think the amount of weight you gain can have an effect, too--my mom gained 60+ lbs with me on her 100 lb. frame.  I gained 45+ lbs. from 140.  Hoping for less this time for a variety of reasons.

#9 of 30 Old 11-08-2011, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2be_k View Post

A friend gave me a tub of pure cocoa butter..... which is pretty hard to get soft and rub on the belly. So I melted it and whipped it up with some almond and grapeseed oils so it's fluffy.

i bet that smells sooo good!  :)

I've thought about using coconut oil and jojoba oil. 

The bio-oil sounds neat too but it has mineral oil, dyes and bh's in it.  http://www.bio-oil.com/en-us/product/ingredients  too bad they dont make a version without the junk.  :(

my skin's been dry since the winter weather started, so i need to moisturize more anyways.  i've heard that it doesnt really matter what we put ~on~ our skin, that the stretch marks are from lack of elastin or collagen or whatever.  it does feel nice to pamper oneself though and it certainly can't hurt anything.  i already have lots of stretch marks but they're all faded now.  i dont really want any more tiger stripes.  :)

wikipedia says:

Quote:

Between 75% and 90% of women develop stretch marks to some degree during pregnancy. The sustained hormonal levels as a result of pregnancy usually means stretch marks may appear during the sixth or seventh month, primarily during the 3rd trimester, as that is when skin tends to be subjected to higher levels of stretching forces.

A German research team tested the application of massage and cream and found that only one-third of women with this treatment developed stretchmarks, while two-thirds of an untreated control group developed stretchmarks, but it is not clear if this was a double-blind study.[6]

A randomized controlled study tested whether oils or creams prevent the development of stretchmarks. This study found a daily application of a cream containing Gotu Kola extract and vitamin E was associated with fewer stretch marks during pregnancy.[7][8] Another study, though lacking a placebo control, examined a cream (Verum) containing vitamin E, panthenol, hyaluronic acid, elastin and menthol. It was associated with fewer stretch marks during pregnancy versus no treatment.[8]. During pregnancy, stretch marks cannot be avoided but if the pregnant woman keeps her skin moisturized, the itchiness can be prevented which causes because of the dry, stretched skin.[9]

Another randomized, placebo-controlled double-blind study of 300 women tested cocoa butter. The result was not found to be a statistically significant difference

heartbeat.gif

#10 of 30 Old 11-08-2011, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I used burt's bees mama butter. It is super thick but it really helped with the itching. My mom seems to have no stretch marks anywhere, but she also had six pound babies.  I didn't have stretch marks until about 35 weeks with DS and he was 8lb 2oz when born at 38 weeks.  For me, I think it was that I gained weight fairly rapidly in the third trimester, I got the stretch marks around my belly button above and below, specifically where I felt the most stretched.  I have come to terms with the stretch marks, and they do seem to fade some over time, but it would be nice to not add anymore  smile.gif

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#11 of 30 Old 11-08-2011, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I got some Earth Mama Angel Baby Natural Stretch Oil because it had good ratings on Amazon. I haven't really started to show yet, but I told DH once I start to grow, he can put it on my belly before we go to bed at night. Something to help me that also sets aside time for him and the babe each day sounded good. But I don't have any experience in this arena yet so just waiting to see how it goes.

fairy.gif (DSD 10yo) angel2.gif (29wks - 2/2012) babygirl.gifrainbow1284.gif (1/2013)

#12 of 30 Old 11-09-2011, 01:41 PM

I have used Cocoa/Shae Butter and Burts Bees Mama Butter in the past... I want to try the Bio Oil this time around and need to hop to it.. my stretch marks are returning from my DS, who was a whopping 9lbs 11oz at birth dizzy.gif

#13 of 30 Old 11-09-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moss View Post

The bio-oil sounds neat too but it has mineral oil, dyes and bh's in it.  http://www.bio-oil.com/en-us/product/ingredients  too bad they dont make a version without the junk.  :(

my skin's been dry since the winter weather started, so i need to moisturize more anyways.  i've heard that it doesnt really matter what we put ~on~ our skin, that the stretch marks are from lack of elastin or collagen or whatever.  it does feel nice to pamper oneself though and it certainly can't hurt anything.  i already have lots of stretch marks but they're all faded now.  i dont really want any more tiger stripes.  :)

Ugh, I wish I didn't know that about the bio-oil.  I just like being able to grab something at Walgreens or whatever--anything easy to find that doesn't have a bunch of junk in it but still feels good and doesn't make a mess?

#14 of 30 Old 11-09-2011, 05:03 PM

I wasn't 100% happy with the ingredients list either, but it was a gift from a friend and, quite honestly, I feel as though it's better than a lot of other products on the market, so i'm going for it!  I'll still be keeping my eyes open for other ideas, however.

#15 of 30 Old 11-09-2011, 05:14 PM

WAIT!!!  We are supposed to put stuff on our bellies to spare us from ever getting the dreaded stretch marks???

Too late.

moss likes this.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#16 of 30 Old 11-09-2011, 06:19 PM

Don't feel too bad Adoremybabe ;) I tried everything under the sun the first pregnancy, and got them anyway (all in a period of 6 weeks at the end). I think some of us are just doomed LOL

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

#17 of 30 Old 11-10-2011, 10:55 AM

anyone looking for something to use on the belly that doesn't have any junk in it.....

http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-Special-Blend-8-Ounces/dp/B0001AF6Q2/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1320950809&sr=1-1

I guess it's kind of expensive. I've found it health food stores for less (maybe $12.00?). It lasted me through my pregnancy and post-partum (12 months maybe longer). I even used it on my legs in the winter when I got insanely dry (think - alligator scales). Right after shower is great, but most often I'd rub it into the belly nightly. Did it prevent stretch marks? Nope. But it's all natural and smelled yummy. I prefer oils to moisturize (belly and all over) don't like the idea of slathering chemicals I can't pronounce all over my skin. I gave up on brand name body wash and lotion years ago and use dr. bronners soap and cocoa/shea butter and coconut oil to moisturize. My sensitive/dry skin has been pretty happy about it.

moss likes this.

#18 of 30 Old 11-10-2011, 12:54 PM

I view stretch marks as a right of passage and also as a roadmap of motherhood, so I don't seem to mind them much.  I also believe a lot of it has to do with genetics, how much/how quickly you gain weight, etc.  I have a friend who did everything under the sun to not get stretch marks with her first at age 19, but no matter what she did she still was covered with them by the end of her pregnancy, including a wicked looking one on her side that was a good 6-8 inches long and at least 1/2-3/4 of an inch wide.  I also had a friend who rubbed her belly religiously with oils and was good until the weeks before she gave birth and it seemed like overnight she had a spiderweb of stretch marks on her lower belly.  She also ended up with a 9lb14oz boy, so his size might have had something to do with it.  I didn't get any new stretch marks when I had my daughter.  But, I am already fluffy and had some from gaining weight over the years.  The only thing I noticed was a scar change a little.  3 months before I got pregnant with DD, I had laparoscopic surgery to remove a ruptured Fallopian tube from an ectopic pregnancy.  The only visible scar I had from that surgery stretched and kind of warped a little bit.  I don't know if that was due to the pregnancy italic, or if it was due to the little amount of time between surgery and pregnancy.  For all I know, if it had healed for a year or so, it might have been fine.  I'm still going I be covering my belly though, but more for binding than anything. Plus I just get really dry in the winter anyways.  I only use organic unrefined virgin coconut oil because I know I don't have to worry about what else is in it, and I usually have it around he house anyways for cooking, so there's no added expense!

Erin , loving wife to Dave, mom to 3cat.gif, angel.gifangel.gifDec. '06, angel.gifOct. '08, DD Reagan Oct. 3, 2009

and DS Jack April 4,2012

#19 of 30 Old 11-10-2011, 12:58 PM

At 19.5 weeks, I already have a ton of stretch marks from this pregnancy despite minimal weight gain.  They're mostly around my rib cage and the near my breasts.  I have super white and sensitive skin and seem prone to them.  I use pure cocoa butter on my belly (and sometimes all over) at night, but I am trying my best not to worry about the stretch marks.  DP is the only other person that ever sees my belly, and we've agreed to do our best to think of them as remembrances of the pregnancy if they don't go away.  That sounds a little silly, but I'm happy to have a partner who is excited about the changes in my body even when I'm not.  

#20 of 30 Old 11-13-2011, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

i ordered a cocoa butter/jojoba oil cream from iherb, i'll let you all know how it is when i get it.  :)  i'll probably also add some vite e to it.  if you've never ordered from iherb before, you can get 5$ off your first order when you put in a referral code (mine is UBE240)

heartbeat.gif

#21 of 30 Old 11-13-2011, 11:46 AM

I use coconut oil, but then I use it for everything. I discovered it when my DD was a baby and struggling with eczema- we tried everything, and then at Earthfare one day a woman steered me out of the lotions section and to cooking. She picked up a jar of it and told me to use it for everything. It really works for everything I've tried, too, and it smells wonderful. (She claimed it made for really good lube as well, but I haven't tried that, haha)

#22 of 30 Old 11-13-2011, 02:46 PM

I also have the Earth Mama Angel Baby Natural Stretch Oil - it seemed to have lots of good reviews. It has a mixture of oils including grape seed, jojoba and borage seed oil, along with some yummy herbal extracts and essential oils. 

I don't think my mom got belly stretch marks when she was pregnant with me (despite gaining 50 lbs), but she used cocoa butter. My belly hasn't really grown too much yet at 16 weeks, but my boobs definitely have and I've been using the stretch oil for them, it feels and smells nice and is hopefully helping the skin stretch with minimal marks. 

A dedicated treehugger.gif and academic, 32, married to DH hippie.gif since 07/07

Became a mommy to DD in May 2012 - so happy and in love!

#23 of 30 Old 11-13-2011, 02:51 PM

I'm also using Earth Mama Angel Baby, only not the oil, the lotion.  I used Burts Bees my last pregnancy, but they added soy to their lotion since then and my allergy to soy includes skin contact as well, not just ingestion so I break out in a rash with it.  I was using Chagrin Cocobutter Lotion, but it caused a rash for me too.  I'm hoping Earth Mama doesn't irritate me, otherwise I'll try the coconut oil.

I don't think it necessarily prevents stretch marks, I just find it it more moisturizing than regular lotion and I like that because it stops the itch.  My mom didn't get many stretch marks with my or my brother.  I didn't get many with my DS either.  The only spot I got it was on my hips.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#24 of 30 Old 11-13-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCMtnMama View Post

I use coconut oil, but then I use it for everything. I discovered it when my DD was a baby and struggling with eczema- we tried everything, and then at Earthfare one day a woman steered me out of the lotions section and to cooking. She picked up a jar of it and told me to use it for everything. It really works for everything I've tried, too, and it smells wonderful. (She claimed it made for really good lube as well, but I haven't tried that, haha)

Off topic, but can you get coconut oil really hot?  I use EVO for almost all cooking, but when I need to get something really hot, like pan-frying a rare steak, I don't like the EVO--it sort of burns when its really hot, so I use something else.  I need to try it, I guess!

#25 of 30 Old 11-14-2011, 08:50 AM

JustKate- you can cook with coconut oil; it's very healthy for you.  Coconut oil is my all around body moisturizer.  I also started using frankinsense and myrhh raw shea butter (only natural ingredients) and sometimes I add a tiny bit of 100% pure vitamin E into it, for my belly, hips and boobs.  I didn't get stretch marks on my belly with my other pregnancies but it was really itchy from stretching out....hopefully I can avoid the itch by keeping it super moisturized.

Tanya treehugger.gif DH-Brian, DD Adri (8), DD Izzy (7), DS Ollie angel.gif (1/5/11 @ 17 weeks) and our rainbow1284.gif baby due April 12th, 2012.

Of all the lessons I did not learn as a child, or even as an adult; I learn through being, mother to my children. Through love and through pain, we are delivered and blessed!

#26 of 30 Old 11-14-2011, 08:00 PM

JustKate - I'm sure you can, but I've never pan-seared anything in it. I mostly use it to make granola or reallllly yummy pancakes. I might actually have to make some tomorrow morning. mmmm. :)

#27 of 30 Old 11-16-2011, 06:18 PM

You shouldn't use virgin coconut oil for really high heat, just like you shouldn't use EVOO for the same application.  Actually, I don't cook at all with EVOO as it is highly UNsaturated and even a slight amount of heat degrades it.  Virgin can be cooked with but if you are going to be frying, use refined coconut oil, ghee or other animal fat.  Higher the temp, the more saturated the fat needs to be.

My family = Me + DH plus new babe 5/12 make 3 buddamomimg1.png

#28 of 30 Old 11-16-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicMom View Post

You shouldn't use virgin coconut oil for really high heat, just like you shouldn't use EVOO for the same application.  Actually, I don't cook at all with EVOO as it is highly UNsaturated and even a slight amount of heat degrades it.  Virgin can be cooked with but if you are going to be frying, use refined coconut oil, ghee or other animal fat.  Higher the temp, the more saturated the fat needs to be.

Thanks, that's what I was wondering!  I'll get some to try for lower-heat stuff.  :)

#29 of 30 Old 11-19-2011, 06:39 AM

Well Earth Mama Angel Baby also caused a rash.  I finally just ordered Shea Butter, that works great.  I figure if it helps stop the eczema from dry skin on my hands in the winter that it should be great for the tummy too.  Best of all, I get no itching from it!

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#30 of 30 Old 11-19-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiryFairy View Post

JustKate- you can cook with coconut oil; it's very healthy for you. Coconut oil is my all around body moisturizer. I also started using frankinsense and myrhh raw shea butter (only natural ingredients) and sometimes I add a tiny bit of 100% pure vitamin E into it, for my belly, hips and boobs. I didn't get stretch marks on my belly with my other pregnancies but it was really itchy from stretching out....hopefully I can avoid the itch by keeping it super moisturized.

I've also been using pure vit e oil on my tummy. It's more like rubbing honey on your skin than oil though, it's sooo thick and sticky! I'll have to try it mixed with something like you do.

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern... it will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that . . . one stitch at a time, taken patiently." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page