Craving a beer??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-15-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I haven't been craving ANYTHING since the raging cravings of early pregnancy simmered down...in fact, most of the time when I feel hungry...nothing sounds good at all. I have to make myself eat what I know I need because nothing sounds good, really. But lately I've had a really intense craving for a beer and I don't even normally like beer nor am I ever much of a drinker non-pregnant! What is it in beer my body might think it needs??? Anyone else experience this in a pregnancy?

chicken3.gif Student mama to four big kids and one brand new baby girl Lennon (04/17/12)

#2 of 19 Old 11-15-2011, 08:14 PM

Hmmmmmm......relaxation??? wink1.gif
I've been craving wine lately...although I have no problem having an ounce or two now and again. Not sure why I crave it either...

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

#3 of 19 Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 PM

I had a few swigs of a mimosa at an event on Saturday, and it was the single greatest thing I've ever tasted in my life. :)

#4 of 19 Old 11-15-2011, 10:26 PM

here's a link to a chart that shows which nutrients are behind which cravings.  several nutrients are associated with cravings for alcohol.

http://www.naturopathyworks.com/pages/cravings.php

heartbeat.gif

#5 of 19 Old 11-15-2011, 10:28 PM

also, beer is brewed with hops, which can be relaxing.  susun weed's pregnancy book recc's skullcap for relaxation/antianxiety

heartbeat.gif

#6 of 19 Old 11-15-2011, 11:18 PM

saudade, I am the same way about alcohol, but around the time I got preg I was craving red wine like crazy. I had to have it! I bought one bottle, drank half of it over a few days, and that was that. Why, I have no idea, I usually eat well and was juicing at the time, but I listened to the craving, however strange, and was easily satisfied. While I certainly don't advocate drinking while preg, I also think indulging in one regular size/strength beer one time won't do any harm, especially if you eat well so it doesn't all hit your bloodstream at once.

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

#7 of 19 Old 11-16-2011, 04:49 AM

I've been craving a beer too. I think it's about relaxation for me. I just want to throw one back and veg.

I learned the hard way, sipping a small glass of champagne for my aniversarry with my first pregnancy (around this time too), that it's not going to make me feel good, so I avoid it.

I did have a glass of Guiness that pregnancy for St. Patty's and it was sooooo gooood. I sipped it over the course of an hour with food. Maybe beer is better (Guiness is good for you, after all.)

guinness_is-good-for-you_ie-2.jpg

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#8 of 19 Old 11-16-2011, 05:23 AM

I'm giggling over the Guinness pic smile.gif My hubby's family is from Ireland, and they love the stuff. He drinks his out of special pint glasses I gave him one Christmas with the old ads on the side. My MIL is always telling me to make sure I drink a Guinness every now and then..."It's good for you! It's loaded with Iron!" I can't stand the stuff though. She says in Ireland pg women drink it for health.

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern... it will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that . . . one stitch at a time, taken patiently." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

#9 of 19 Old 11-16-2011, 05:40 AM

For a while I had no beer or wine cravings at all. Hubs and I are drinkers. We usually shared a half bottle of wine with dinner every night, or a beer or two. For the first 16 weeks of pregnancy I had an aversion to beer/alcohol and sweets. Then I started to kind of want a beer. Now, after a weekend of sickness and desperately trying to get enough water, I feel like I would hate the idea of even a sip of it! It's amazing how much out bodies and minds direct our desires this way and that. 

I always thought I would want alcohol during pregnancy just because I "can't" have it. It hasn't been like that at all, to my pleasant surprise. 

LOL@ the guiness picture. 

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#10 of 19 Old 11-16-2011, 08:46 AM

My DH and I are also drinkers and usually like to have a beer or two together in the evenings before bed.  For the first trimester I was COMPLETELY turned by the idea of drinking at all, but now that I am feeling more like my usual self I have to admit... I just want a nice cold pint!!!!  I think once my semester of school is over I will let myself have one.  In my opinion, the odd beer shouldn't really be an issue in a healthy pregnancy.  I know not everybody agrees on this but such is life!

happily married to my rock and roll cowboy guitar.gif since 2009, living the dream with our Rosebud, 26/04/12 joy.gif

#11 of 19 Old 11-16-2011, 09:56 AM

Beer is out of the question for me. Unless my midwife tells my husband that I need to drink alcohol (to slow early contractions or something), there's no way he'll agree to it! He does let me touch my lips to an especially nice new IPA if he brings it home. Heh.

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#12 of 19 Old 11-16-2011, 02:00 PM

saudade, I'm like you--don't normally even like beer, but when I was pregnant with DD , I had this INSANE craving for a beer though I think it was a bit more toward 30-ish weeks or even later.  When I mentioned it to my OB at the time she said, "So have a beer."  I still wasn't comfortable having a WHOLE beer but when I was at dinner a few nights later and the craving was still there, I had about a quarter to a half of a small beer with dinner.  I honestly didn't look that pregnant but I felt like everyone in the restaurant was STARING at me.  If the craving hits this time, I'll indulge at home ;-)  From my understanding, alcohol has been shown to have a negative effect when consumed in large quantities, frequently, especially early on in pregnancy.  Beer can be quite low on the alcohol spectrum and if having a small amount with some food fixes a craving, I'm fine with it.  I'm very conservative with many things that I think pose a higher danger (things contaminated with Listeria, consumption of much mercury-containing seafood, medications, etc.) but a sip of something alcoholic very occasionally doesn't bother me.  Historically, I think humans have been consuming fermented beverages which contain varying amounts of alcohol rather regularly, probably during pregnancy as well.  Even my juice kefir has some alcohol though I distinctly lost the craving to consume any so far during this pg...I say listen to your body!  If a good carbonated beverage or no-alcohol beer doesn't work, have some of the real thing!

Unschooling mama alongside DH (05/01) to DD (5/05).  Expecting #2 spring 2012!

#13 of 19 Old 11-16-2011, 07:59 PM

Oh, that's right about the Guinness! I was in Ireland a few years back with some girlfriends, one of whom was pregnant, and the locals ALWAYS noticed in pubs that she wasn't drinking. She'd explain that she was pregnant, and within minutes some old Irish woman would wander out from behind the bar with an "on the house" pint of Guinness and explain to my friend all the health benefits. (Nutrients, helping with milk production and lactation...on and on)

It happened almost everywhere we went. 

#14 of 19 Old 11-17-2011, 07:17 AM

I just got back from a vacation in Cabo and I had to have a margarita with dinner!  It was nice and weak but still oh so good.  It has me wondering if it is possible to simmer off most of the alcohol from tequila, maintain that tequila flavor and make a awesome margarita.  I'm going to have to look it up.

My family = Me + DH plus new babe 5/12 make 3 buddamomimg1.png

#15 of 19 Old 11-17-2011, 10:06 AM

After reading this thread all I want is a paralyzer! LOL!
I had a small, yummy, mixed drink the other day(baileys and decaf)on a date with my hubby and it was seriously the best thing I'd ever tasted...I'm personally not worried about the occasional drink, at all. Especially if it's on a full tummy and you can't feel it in your system. I'm also, originally, from a country where it isn't frowned upon:)

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

#16 of 19 Old 11-17-2011, 06:47 PM

my doula told me today to go for it!  it's funny that even though i had already decided for myself hearing that from her made me feel so much better!

happily married to my rock and roll cowboy guitar.gif since 2009, living the dream with our Rosebud, 26/04/12 joy.gif

#17 of 19 Old 11-17-2011, 07:11 PM

During my last pregnancy a co-worker of mine, who brews his own home made beer  - brewed up a batch of dark brew - ohhhh, i could go for a Guiness now after seeing that ad!!   Anyhoo - i took a bottle of it to have with DH over the 4th of July weekend and i got cold stares and glares from everyone in the office under 30 - the rest of us, (over 35) can remember the days when "a glass or two of Chardonay everyday was good for the baby!!" 

i ended up having about a third of the bottle with a huge juicy burger  - i think the occasional bottle of home brew is the thing i miss most about that job....

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#18 of 19 Old 11-17-2011, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

I don't even like dark beer and that ad for Guiness is making my craving worse. winky.gif

chicken3.gif Student mama to four big kids and one brand new baby girl Lennon (04/17/12)

#19 of 19 Old 11-17-2011, 09:10 PM

Do it!  thumb.gif

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page