Crazy stuff others have said to/asked you about your pregnancy. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 11-16-2011, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need a thread to share all the crazy stuff coming out of my mother's mouth. I can't just keep making mini rant posts.

Today. I was chatting with my mom and sharing with her the weird feeling I had last night. I was up peeing, and I had my hands on the sides of my baby belly, doing the get off my bladder lift, and I could feel gas bubbles from what must have been behind my uterus echoing around in my uterus, kind of like a racket ball echoing around in a court. It was weird, but not alarming.

Mom asks me if I was sure that the baby was growing inside my womb, not outside. "They could tell that on your sonogram right, they looked for that?" I laughed and refused to answer her on the basis of how crazy a question that was. I just told her that if that was the case I would have had some sever complications by 18 weeks. Her response was that babies are born all the time that did not grow in a woman's uterus. WTF?

I think my mother, who used to be very educated, rational, and thoughtful has gone around the bend.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#2 of 33 Old 11-16-2011, 07:21 AM

That is hilarious! I probably would have reacted the same way!

A friend of mine asked me yesterday when I was due and I told her April. She looked at me and said "Wow! It looks like you could have the baby any day." I really wonder if people think before they speak. Luckily I am not super sensitive. smile.gif

Me (34) DH (33) We are the proud parents to Rebecca (11) and we are all three excitedjumpers.gif to welcome our newest addition  stork-boy.gif April 20th.

#3 of 33 Old 11-16-2011, 12:11 PM

so i haven't had so many crazies with this pregnancy, but we haven't told too many people yet either...but, when i was expecting my dd, (and was about 41weeks at the time) I was shopping with a good friend who was also pregnant at a hallmark store.  i got down on the ground to look at something on the bottom shelf (much to the amazement of the store clerk) and she comes over and asks if i need any help, to which i reply "no thanks."  she asks when i'm due (ummm last month, but we wont be picky) so I said "in a few days," and right there, in a store full of busy people, she asks, loud as could be, "so, have you passed your mucous plug yet?" 

seriously, since when is this a topic for public conversation with a complete stranger??????? i will never forget that

my face must have showed my annoyance, as she quickly found another customer to help...

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

#4 of 33 Old 11-16-2011, 12:17 PM

You ladies are cracking me up. I only holy to respond with similar adeptness if these things ever happen to me!

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#5 of 33 Old 11-16-2011, 03:23 PM

AbbieB, I hope you'll take this with the humor intended, but as my husband says (usually about his mom or mine), "Mental illness takes many forms."  I know, mental illness is no laughing matter, but I think their (my mom and MIL) brains are seriously paring out some formerly useful neurons as they age.  Or maybe they've always been like this and it's the filters that have changed.  Or maybe they're just messing with us.

Unschooling mama alongside DH (05/01) to DD (5/05).  Expecting #2 spring 2012!

#6 of 33 Old 11-16-2011, 03:28 PM

And speaking of crazy things said by relatives (sorry for the double post, just remembered!), though this was when I was pregnant with DD, my only other child, I think the winner from my MIL was as she told me for the 14th time about how DH's large head got stuck in her birth canal and ended with an emergency C-section which she almost died from...and then she says "But you..." (pause as she looks straight down at my hips) "will have NO problem."  I should note that the woman had, since her childbearing years, gained another average human's weight and was probably 80 lbs heavier than I was at the time and had NOOOO room to talk.  I was too stunned to speak.  It's really par for the course with her but still, I often just have no words.

Unschooling mama alongside DH (05/01) to DD (5/05).  Expecting #2 spring 2012!

#7 of 33 Old 11-16-2011, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

No offense taken.

My mother suffers terrible from placenta brain when I am pregnant. She invents things to worry about and loses all common sense.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#8 of 33 Old 11-16-2011, 07:08 PM

I love the wild inappropriateness that pregnancy brings!  So funny.  ROTFLMAO.gif

#9 of 33 Old 11-17-2011, 04:16 AM

My boss said to me the other day, "wow, your getting pudgy!  How much weight have you gained now?"  jaw.gif

Me = Healer, yogini, lactivist, step-mom, and wife to my dream come true joy.gif So grateful-- baby #1 April 2012

#10 of 33 Old 11-17-2011, 04:52 AM

Wow Jess, that would have meant I lost my job when I popped them in the nose!!! Good thing you're more patient than I am right now *giggle* I can't believe it when people make comments that link pregnancy to weight and fat, and then society wonders why women have body image issues and try to not gain weight while pregnant. *sigh* All I can say is sorry you had to deal with that, I think I'll take the eye popping and "oh my God that baby will be huge" comments much better now!

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

#11 of 33 Old 11-17-2011, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

One of the bosses at my job when I was pregnant with my first, who I happened to see everyday, came up to me when I was about 8 months pregnant and HUGE and said, "Wow, congratulations, I did not realize you were pregnant." I took that to mean he just thought I was getting fatter by the hour or he was least observant person in the universe.

#12 of 33 Old 11-17-2011, 05:39 AM

Maybe he was implying that you hide it well and actually looked very slender ;) (might as well try to see the silver lining in these comments LOL)

#13 of 33 Old 11-17-2011, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

You are so nice. Here's a shot of me at 8.5 months with my second. Looking at this makes me feel better about how big I am now, even though I feel this big already.

major pregers.jpg

#14 of 33 Old 11-17-2011, 05:57 PM

i think i'd go with the "least observant person in the world" label for that one Abbie...

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

#15 of 33 Old 11-17-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama01 View Post

i think i'd go with the "least observant person in the world" label for that one Abbie...

yep

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#16 of 33 Old 11-17-2011, 08:44 PM

When they hear I am pregnant with #7, they say "Have you ever heard of Michelle Duggar?"

#17 of 33 Old 11-18-2011, 04:46 AM

LOL@the Duggar comment. As if when it comes to children we only have several numbers "One, Two, Three, Many". Sure, 7=20!

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#18 of 33 Old 11-18-2011, 05:01 AM

Does laughing when they hear I'm having a fifth boy count? I'm not offended, I'm laughing too, but it has been the universal response since I found out the gender last week (even the ultrasound tech laughed).

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

#19 of 33 Old 11-18-2011, 06:26 AM

so here's one i'm slightly offended about... I'm nearly 30, married for going on 9 years, have a 2 year old, and have told a few people recently that we're expecting our second in the spring, to which they responded, "ooohhh, is this a happy occasion?"  

WHAT?? i could see that thought crossing my mind if i were 17 and unprepared, but seriously, what kind of a question is that??  grrrrrrrrrr

#20 of 33 Old 11-18-2011, 06:27 AM

my sister posted about my 4th girl and one of her friends responded "OMG,are you serious? poor dad, lol" as if the lol made the comment any better.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#21 of 33 Old 11-18-2011, 06:45 AM

chiro- I would be offended! What kind of thing is that to say to anyone, as if it's even their business? Tho it seems like I have gotten that a couple times in the past, now that I think about it... I did look very young, even with my second, so maybe that was it, but still! I don't get how pregnancy somehow makes your personal life up for public commentary!

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

#22 of 33 Old 11-18-2011, 06:49 AM

My mom also pulled the "is this a happy occasion comment"...and a neighbor said "Well, you're just a baby making machine now aren't you"!!! I expected the response out of my mom, she hasn't been happy about a single one of my pregnancies, but the neighbor really took me a minute to get over. I couldn't even believe that a woman choosing to have a fifth child (while married, clearly educated and hard working, and with a fair spacing between them...so it's not even like they were "unavoidable") could be made out to be some freak just for choosing to have more than the standard 2.5 children LOL

#23 of 33 Old 11-18-2011, 08:12 AM

Wow, some of those comments are insane.  I've just gotten "you don't gain much weight when pregnant do you?" from my hairdresser.  My mouth just sort of dropped for a moment.  Then I mentioned that I just got out of the first trimester in which I had major aversions to most food.  Then I mentioned that with my son my OB was actually a bit concerned about weight gain (only gained 37...)

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#24 of 33 Old 11-18-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess in hawaii View Post

Does laughing when they hear I'm having a fifth boy count? I'm not offended, I'm laughing too, but it has been the universal response since I found out the gender last week (even the ultrasound tech laughed).

I get that, too. One girl, five boys here. I am so sick of people wishing me a girl! Like boys are somehow inadequate ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzusplace View Post

My mom also pulled the "is this a happy occasion comment"...and a neighbor said "Well, you're just a baby making machine now aren't you"!!! I expected the response out of my mom, she hasn't been happy about a single one of my pregnancies, but the neighbor really took me a minute to get over. I couldn't even believe that a woman choosing to have a fifth child (while married, clearly educated and hard working, and with a fair spacing between them...so it's not even like they were "unavoidable") could be made out to be some freak just for choosing to have more than the standard 2.5 children LOL

Yikes. Sounds like she needed a reply like, "Nah, we just REALLY like having sex. Lots of really wild sex."

#25 of 33 Old 11-20-2011, 04:03 PM

"I get that, too. One girl, five boys here. I am so sick of people wishing me a girl! Like boys are somehow inadequate ..."

When I announced this pregnancy I had a few people talk about how they were hoping I'd have a boy (since I had a girl last time), and one got even really insistent on it. Now that we know he's a boy I'm getting lots of "I bet you're so excited!" Like I wouldn't be excited if he had been a she...

People are SO weird about the sex thing.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#26 of 33 Old 11-20-2011, 05:36 PM

We have a LOT of people asking "was this planned?" as if that's any of their business!  Our close friends know that we were "done," so we all laughed together...but I'm always taken aback when someone I barely know asks me that question. 

#27 of 33 Old 11-20-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsasecret View Post

I get that, too. One girl, five boys here. I am so sick of people wishing me a girl! Like boys are somehow inadequate ...

Yikes. Sounds like she needed a reply like, "Nah, we just REALLY like having sex. Lots of really wild sex."

LMAO!!!! I'm totally going to use that if someone pulls the "was this planned" question!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post

"I get that, too. One girl, five boys here. I am so sick of people wishing me a girl! Like boys are somehow inadequate ..."

When I announced this pregnancy I had a few people talk about how they were hoping I'd have a boy (since I had a girl last time), and one got even really insistent on it. Now that we know he's a boy I'm getting lots of "I bet you're so excited!" Like I wouldn't be excited if he had been a she...

People are SO weird about the sex thing.

We only have one girl, but i cant count the times I've heard...oh yay, now you'll have a set... since we found out we're having a boy.  it infuriated me when people would "wish me a boy..." or whatever.  don't get me wrong, we're thrilled to be having a boy, but no more thrilled than we would be if we were having a girl YK??? its so weird to me.  we the US tech asked what we wanted, we both immediately replied, HEALTHY!! other than that, it just doesn't matter!!!!!!

#28 of 33 Old 11-20-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwisdomskr View Post

We have a LOT of people asking "was this planned?" as if that's any of their business!  Our close friends know that we were "done," so we all laughed together...but I'm always taken aback when someone I barely know asks me that question. 

I've been asked that a few times. At first I was a little annoyed since we have been married almost two years now and we already have my DSS, who is three. The other day a woman in my class, who I don't really care for that much, asked me this question.

I replied, "Of course this was planned, we hadn't had sex in a year and a half! I felt like getting it over with two days before my husband's knee surgery so that I could get off the hook for another year and a half! I'm a pretty great wife, you know!" Three of my friends bust out laughing and he mouth just dropped. I just couldn't hold back anymore. If someone makes me uncomfortable, they will most likely be embarrassed too (as long as my clever little mind can come up with stuff like that).

Artist wife to dh_malesling.GIF. Mom to DSS superhero.gif (3 yrs) and DD (04/12).  brokenheart.gif (2/28/10). winner.jpgcd.gif

#29 of 33 Old 11-20-2011, 10:10 PM

My (ex)BIL's response to that question: "Well, we planned to have sex that night."

They always shut right up then.

#30 of 33 Old 11-21-2011, 04:43 AM

this comment came before i got pregnant but i was going through IVF treatment at the time as there was a huge possibility that i may never have children again. i was behind the bar of my husbands  pub when a local man walked in (he knew i was possibly infertile but attempting IVF) and said really loud "why are you not pregnant yet?" he actually looked angry as he said it too. the whole place fell silent and i was too shocked to even answer the question. that is the second time someone had made me feel bad about struggling to have children. another time is the actual day i came out of hospital from getting my ectopic pregnancy surgically removed, a lady friend went to my husband and said "such a shame she is struggling to have your child, you would of been a great dad". 

just to lighten the mood, i did get pregnant after my IVF treatment! yey 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page