The ginormous name thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 154 Old 11-25-2011, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hubs isn't crazy about Frances, plus I don't want to use a first name that ends in S because our last name is Smith and then the names just blend together, sort of like Hubs name Chris Smith, which is also fun to sing "we wish you a merry Chris Smith, we wish you a merry Chris Smith" which he used to do as a kid and now I do every time i hear that song. BUT Francis was used for at least the last 3 generations in my family, (my dad's MN, my grandad's MN and my great grandad's name) and I would like to continue the tradition even though I have all girls, especially since my brother doesn't have it and didn't use it for his son. PLUS I kind of like the idea of the only kids  the men only have girls named after them. You see in my family as kids we always knew that men/boys were always more highly prized then us girls. It hurt, I think their is poetic justice in the fact that my granddad's 2 names would be carried on in his great granddaughters middle names (my brother has a daughter with his first name as a middle name), PLUS despite knowing boys were more highly prized I still really love my dad, granddad and great granddad and I know they loved me too, even if I was a girl, they love me tremendously. I used family names for Josephine's middle names to honor a bunch of sides on the family tree.

god, I ramble, it;s like the train of thought exercise's I used to get in creative writing, watch out there she goes!!

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#122 of 154 Old 11-26-2011, 08:33 AM

No, it makes sense.  There is a lot that goes into naming.  My last name starts with an S too--actually its two syllable and both syllables begin with S, so S names are out for me too.  I had the same problem with my maiden and present name.  "S"es in three syllables of my name.  It is especially hard for Spanish speakers.  Ah well.

Funny thing about Frances--DH's grandma is Julia Frances, and she's so nutty that he doesn't want to name a child for her.  I actually like Julia too, but it wouldn't go with Jean for a middle name. 

For those interested in old lady names like I am, I thought I'd give the names of some of my old family members:

Ruth Elizabeth

Leo

Emma Jean (EJ)

Marvin Emmett (Cork)

Julia Frances (Fanny)

Flossie

Cordelia (Lottie)

Margaret

Gladys

Aileen

Edith

Winona

Carroll (male)

#123 of 154 Old 11-28-2011, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

I think I am set on Coraline for the babies name, just need to run it past Hubs one more time as the official name and then square away the second middle name. Hubs is liking Leia and Leah. so what's the best combo of the middle names flow wise

leia or leah and March

Coraline ________  __________ Smith

oh and as a funny aside, I got the idea for this thread from another ddc who has already had their babies, it was fun reading through their naming process while being able to look at their siggy and know what they ended up using.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#124 of 154 Old 11-28-2011, 02:50 PM

Are the pronunciations Lay-ah and Lee-ah? If so, I would go with Leia, as the sounds blend better to my ears.

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

#125 of 154 Old 11-28-2011, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess in hawaii View Post

Are the pronunciations Lay-ah and Lee-ah? If so, I would go with Leia, as the sounds blend better to my ears.

yes. I was leaning towards Leia too, plus you know the star wars reference.

#126 of 154 Old 11-28-2011, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

oh March or Leia/leah 1st?

#127 of 154 Old 11-28-2011, 04:46 PM

I would go with Coraline Leia March Smith.  Great names, I LOVE the Little Women reference. So good.  

I'm still gunning for Amelia Grace if it's a girl, but Hubs doesn't like it much.  He prefers Olivia Grace but I have really fallen for Amelia.  Good thing we still have time!

happily married to my rock and roll cowboy guitar.gif since 2009, living the dream with our Rosebud, 26/04/12 joy.gif

#128 of 154 Old 11-28-2011, 04:51 PM

I agree with Tarabelle - Coraline Leia March Smith would be my pick!

Tarabelle - Amelia and Olivia are both beautiful names, but I prefer Amelia too. ;)

As for myself, I'm back to considering Peregrine Avery.  I passed it by a friend of mine and she said only I would think of "Peregrine Aviary" (because I'm just like that), but I'm not sure if she's right.  It would be a middle name so it wouldn't be heard that often anyways, and I do like Avery... and it would make DH happy.  Avery = Aviary, anyone?  Tell me if I'm crazy. :p

knit.gifLaura, mama to my wonderful Wilhelmina (11/08) energy.gif and my precious Peregrine (4/12) babyboy.gif

#129 of 154 Old 11-28-2011, 05:03 PM

Thursday, I love the name.  I would put March second.

Hazelbranch, I like think Avery is fine.  If you've got DH on board, go for it.

tarabelle, I like Amelia best too.  If it were entirely up to me this baby would be an Amelia, but DH thinks Aubrey and Amelia are too similar.

#130 of 154 Old 11-28-2011, 05:20 PM

I like Coraline Leia March Smith also! :) And Amelia Grace.

With the confirmation of gender we have expanded the name list a bit. New entries include:

Leila

Lulu

Lucy

Cooper

Elliot

Story

Lark

I am still really loving Charlie and so is hubs, but we are hesitant to become too set on that before we meet her. Also, I just started watching Revenge (which is oddly engrossing) and a character's name is Charlie. I am not sure if it is ruining the name for me or not yet. I think we might use Spencer as a middle name depending on the first name or Mary which is my husband's living great grandmother's name. 

#131 of 154 Old 11-28-2011, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

I like Amelia Grace a lot, I feel like Olivia has been done and done. Maybe Olive instead which is gaining in popularity but not there yet. Not to say I dislike Olivia, I think it is a very pretty name.

Peregrine Avery is cute and said aloud not to Aviary-ish, you know.

I'm still fond of Charlie.

#132 of 154 Old 11-28-2011, 07:18 PM

I love love Leila, and Charlie, I've always loved it for a girl.

I'm with you on Olivia, too.  I like the name fine, just not for my baby!  haha.  

happily married to my rock and roll cowboy guitar.gif since 2009, living the dream with our Rosebud, 26/04/12 joy.gif

#133 of 154 Old 11-28-2011, 07:32 PM

I would not have thought of Peregrine Aviary if you hadn't mentioned it - now that you did, I think it's funny and it almost makes me like the name even more! I like very subtle little quirks like that in a name. My daughter's first and last name is a palendrome - not something most people would notice, but I loved it when I was naming her. Now, I wish I had given her a different last name, but that is beside the point.

My mother was telling me that she has a coworker named "Richard Head" ... he doesn't even go by "Dick" but with that last name, it is all she can think of whenever she sees him! My 8th grade science teacher was "Dick Munch" .... now I believe that those quirky things should be avoided! But Peregrine Avery/Aviary .... now that is just cute and fun :)

We are REALLY struggling with boys names. I want something somewhat unique but not unheard of, and strong - something that will fit a child and an adult. DH is still stuck on Cooper with Chase and Greyson behind that. I mentioned Gray//Grey by itself, but he didn't like that. I can't do the "son" ending because our last name ends in "son". I'm lost on boys names.

I LOVE Leila for a girl - and Olive!

#134 of 154 Old 11-29-2011, 10:16 AM

Can anyone help suggest nicknames and alternative spellings for Allistair?  We like it a lot, but would love to have nicknames for a boy that aren't "Al."  We don't know the sex of our baby, and might end up using this name regardless of sex, using Ali or Allis for a girl's nickname.  But the boy has me stumped.  

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)

#135 of 154 Old 11-29-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post

Can anyone help suggest nicknames and alternative spellings for Allistair?  We like it a lot, but would love to have nicknames for a boy that aren't "Al."  We don't know the sex of our baby, and might end up using this name regardless of sex, using Ali or Allis for a girl's nickname.  But the boy has me stumped.  

Well it's not exactly derivative, but related: Lex. Or you could use Ali, but pronounce it more Ah-li ?

#136 of 154 Old 12-01-2011, 02:16 PM

Today as I was unpacking boxes I haven't opened in 2 years I found a necklace that my grandma gave me for my university graduation. I wish I knew how to post a picture, but it is a gold hieroglyphic of her name, Edythe.   It is beautiful, and I have always been so glad she gave it to me, but with everything in storage for 2 years I had forgotten all about it.  Edythe has been top of my girl name list, but somehow, when I put the necklace on, I knew that should this baby be a girl, she will be Edythe, and on her graduation I'll give her the necklace!

Sorry Aletheia, I'm trying, but can't come up with a better boy nn than Al.  It may be one of those names that needs a whole new nickname.  I like it though, for a boy or girl.

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
#137 of 154 Old 12-01-2011, 07:09 PM

Aletheia... what about Alester/Allester ... with Les as a nickname

csekywithlove likes this.

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

#138 of 154 Old 12-02-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyvangy View Post

Today as I was unpacking boxes I haven't opened in 2 years I found a necklace that my grandma gave me for my university graduation. I wish I knew how to post a picture, but it is a gold hieroglyphic of her name, Edythe.   It is beautiful, and I have always been so glad she gave it to me, but with everything in storage for 2 years I had forgotten all about it.  Edythe has been top of my girl name list, but somehow, when I put the necklace on, I knew that should this baby be a girl, she will be Edythe, and on her graduation I'll give her the necklace!

That is beautiful, jennyvangy!  Perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama01 View Post

Aletheia... what about Alester/Allester ... with Les as a nickname

That's a good idea! Les isn't too bad... thanks!  I'll think on that one.

And jess, Lex isn't too out there for me.  Our first is Oliver, and we call him "Ovi."  (He just so isn't an "Ollie.")

#139 of 154 Old 12-02-2011, 06:59 PM

Aletheia: We have an acquaintance named Alasdair (male) who goes by "Ally". Definitely on my short list.

step-mama to R(4) and mama to my little man H (arrived 4/2012)

#140 of 154 Old 12-02-2011, 09:42 PM

Jennyvangy- that is a sweet story! I am naming my girl after my beloved grandma too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyvangy View Post

Sorry Aletheia, I'm trying, but can't come up with a better boy nn than Al.  It may be one of those names that needs a whole new nickname.  I like it though, for a boy or girl.

chicken3.gif Student mama to four big kids and one brand new baby girl Lennon (04/17/12)

#141 of 154 Old 12-03-2011, 08:38 AM

Well we know she will be a girl and is already named...Ruby June

but our list included.

Vera

Mae

Cordelia

With the boy names I had the instruction that James had to be there somewhere ( I added that there had to be a J in the girls name somewhere, Family naming traditions shall not leave out female people(!) with June, Joy, and Jayne being my top picks)

so I had Arlo

Kirby (that would make a junior...) also is used as a girl name

Tristan

Corwin

I have a Hannah and a Dylan and while I still love the names, not so happy I nailed popular trends with them

#142 of 154 Old 12-03-2011, 05:17 PM

Our boy is named Odin. We landed on that name first and it stuck, despite all our tests and searching for more options. We felt as if it was odd we only ever considered one name, but so it goes. 

Edit: deleted middle name to avoid googlability.

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#143 of 154 Old 12-04-2011, 06:52 AM

so now I'm wavering on ds middle name...

right now we have Collin Graham, Graham is my mom's maiden name (to be honest, using it makes her a little too happy...) 

but at this point I'm really leaning toward Collin Patrick, I just love the irish names... 

so ladies, what do you think...

Collin Graham or Collin Patrick???

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

#144 of 154 Old 12-04-2011, 07:14 AM

RosieL- Odin Warren is a cool name... if it's the only one you have really considered and come back to, it must be the right one smile.gif

chiro- i think Collin Patrick sounds more, i dunno... solid? Like Collin and Graham, even though they have different letters, have the same kind of feel somehow, but Collin and Patrick, tho both two syllables, feel different and complimentary. imo.

#145 of 154 Old 12-04-2011, 08:33 AM

I love all you choices, really haven't heard a name on here I wouldn't use :) It bugs me about naming children..I have a dog for weeks before I  name them, kids you are just supposed to "know" somehow

Warren was on my list for kiddo 2, Love it in combo with Odin

I like both Patrick and Graham...though I have to admit I like the Gaelic spelling Padraig but probably wouldn't use it here as Cajuns would choke on it :)

#146 of 154 Old 12-04-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjune View Post

I love all you choices, really haven't heard a name on here I wouldn't use :) It bugs me about naming children..I have a dog for weeks before I  name them, kids you are just supposed to "know" somehow

And I am having the opposite problem!!  We learned the sex of both boys at the mid-pregnancy US, and named them within a week or two after.  We're waiting til Birthday to know the sex of #3, and it hit me that even if we have 2 names totally picked out, there will be a moment when the baby is born but not named... and that for some reason totally freaks me out.  I know-- I've heard stories of parents changing the name of their baby even weeks after the birth, but I could just never do that.  It feels weird to me that a name should be something so slippery.  I want to be like RosieL and just feel that the name is the "right" name somehow.  

Which makes me wonder if I need to work on picking 1 name that is gender neutral.  :)  I think Alistar could work for both.  What about Gilligan?  That's my new favorite.

Does anyone else have this problem?

#147 of 154 Old 12-04-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post

We're waiting til Birthday to know the sex of #3, and it hit me that even if we have 2 names totally picked out, there will be a moment when the baby is born but not named... and that for some reason totally freaks me out. 

This doesn't bother me at all. I'm also waiting until the birthday and I'm planning n having a top three list for boys and a top three list for girls and deciding when i see my precious little.  If it really bugs you though, just think of it this way, the baby has a name all along, you just haven't realized it yet.  So al of our babies have names, it just takes us different amounts of time to find out what they are. RosieL was lucky enough to learn her baby's name while it was still in utero but some of us (possibly myself included) might take a little or a lot longer to learn what they are!    I kind of this of it this way because i think names are hugely important, but I also know that our babies are who they are already without us having to know the name (or gender) right away.

#148 of 154 Old 12-04-2011, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

I have my final name picked out Coraline March Teresa Smith.

chiro- Collin Patrick!!

Altheia- the longest a baby of mine hasn't been named is a  few minutes and since we are busy fawning over her I don't feel bad since she is just soaking up the love we are putting out and what is a name compared to that?

#149 of 154 Old 12-04-2011, 04:40 PM

"Coraline March Teresa Smith"  -  I like it!

#150 of 154 Old 12-05-2011, 12:26 PM

TG love the name!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page