The ginormous name thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 154 Old 11-17-2011, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

can we have a giant name thread like I have seen in other ddc? We can all talk through the naming process together and see where we end up at the end of our journey's??

I have 3 J named girls. We aren't sticking with J names but are not opposed to J names.

The ultrasound said 80% girl, I don't believe it.

If it's a boy it will be Whitaker William Maxwell Smith

for girls I am tossing around

Catherine (Cate, Catie)

Cerridwen (no nicknames I don;t want a Cerri)

Jane (but the one syllabel thing is sort of annoying because I REALLY want to use March, ala The 4 March sisters in little women, as one of the middle names and having 3 one syllables might not work well.

Jillian (Jilly)

Coraline

those are the top contenders...at the moment.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#2 of 154 Old 11-17-2011, 02:47 PM

I love the way both Jillian and Coraline flow with the rest of your names(and I Adore Juniper!)

Wendy,loving wife to Brian, happy mama of Trinity(15), Christian(15), Gavin(13), Logan(11), Griffon(9),Jubilee(7), Epiphany (4), and Lucian Danger( born 18 April 12) <3
#3 of 154 Old 11-17-2011, 02:56 PM

I'll play! Only I have no clue what I'm really gonna name this one, since I was out of boy names last time around, lol.

Names I have suggested but my other kids hate:

Errol

Percival

Quentin

Dmitri

Names my kids have suggested that I'm not keen on:

Zeus

Loki

Lestat

So I'm open to Y'all's ideas :)

Thursday Girl, out of your girl names, I like Cerridwen best and Coraline next. You might have guessed that from my name ideas ;)

Whitaker is a good boy name too.

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

#4 of 154 Old 11-17-2011, 03:02 PM

I really like Errol best on your list, although they are all good, lol, but I am also not keen on the kids list. All the names are STRONG though love.gif.

I am no fun on this thread personally because we have had this baby named since before conception. It seems to be a great thing that we agree so easily and have almost no need for discussion about it, but it would be fun to pour over lists.

Wendy,loving wife to Brian, happy mama of Trinity(15), Christian(15), Gavin(13), Logan(11), Griffon(9),Jubilee(7), Epiphany (4), and Lucian Danger( born 18 April 12) <3
#5 of 154 Old 11-17-2011, 03:21 PM

wendybird-

I like your combination of names so far. They aren't all necessarily ones I would use, but they go together in the right way smile.gif Of course I'm curious what your new one will be... you gonna hold out revealing it till the end?

Errol was my latest inspiration, I think it works with my naming scheme, but the kids flatly panned it and pointed out that it doesn't have a nickname eyesroll.gif but I'm not ruling out any of them yet (except maybe Quentin because it's more popular than I had any idea it could be). My last pregnancy I told my husband that I was all out of boy names and if we had a boy, he had to name it. He gave me two suggestions, both of which were good and I agreed to the one I preferred. That is the only one of my kids that had their name before birth. I figure since I know this is another boy, I better get started now, lol.

My other boys are Cypress, Rillian, Angus and Rocco.

#6 of 154 Old 11-17-2011, 03:46 PM

I too will be no fun since we've got names picked, but I'd love to help out others!

Courtney, I really adore Coraline, Jillian is nice too. Unfortunately I think it's inevitable at this point, that if people can shorten a name, they WILL, so you might end up with a Carri in school at some point.

Jess, I think all your names are nice...I think my personal favorite is Dmitri though (but then again, I have a thing for Russian names that has sort of developed from my adoration of Russian literature!).

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

#7 of 154 Old 11-17-2011, 03:48 PM

Ooh fun!

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern... it will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that . . . one stitch at a time, taken patiently." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

#8 of 154 Old 11-17-2011, 03:58 PM

Thursday Girl: I love Coraline the most smile.gif It's really pretty.
Jess: I love Errol, that's a great name.

Here are my lists (a little too long...can my baby have 5 names? wink1.gif
We're pretty much set on Elizabeth Valentine being the middle name if it's a girl. If a boy most likely Raymond after my DH's dad who passed away in '03.

Girls:
Everleigh
Clementine
Poppy
Fable
Maisie
Effie
Madeline
Nora
Blythe
Veda

Boys:
Holden
Sawyer
Eamon
Olin
Sullivan
Jasper
Cormac
Finlay
Ephraim

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern... it will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that . . . one stitch at a time, taken patiently." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

#9 of 154 Old 11-17-2011, 04:17 PM

daylicious, one thing I notice right off is that Clementine and Madeline (which are both great) might sound a little too much like they rhyme with the middle name when you use the whole name. Also, the middle names are long, so maybe one of your shorter choices would off-set that (I think Nora would be my first choice of your names).

#10 of 154 Old 11-17-2011, 04:36 PM

daylicious-

I second zuzusplace's observation about "ine" endings. Clementine and Madeline are both great names, but too much rhyming, imho. I was surprised to realize after reading thru all the combinations that I also agree that Nora is probably the best.... I mean, I had never really thought about that name before, but it works really well with the rest of the name. Again, just my 2cents.  I also totally understand how you can want a 5 name name  orngbiggrin.gif

Two names I just remembered I also suggest only to be shot down: Amadeus and Donovan. lol.

#11 of 154 Old 11-17-2011, 05:14 PM

ok, I'll play...

thursday girl, I love Coraline, though it would likely be shortened to Cora eventually

Jess- I love Quentin

Daylicious-- i love Nora and Holden

Here are mine (only 2)...

Collin Graham  

William Archer

i'm a little concerned about the recent popularity of the name William, but i do love it.  Graham is my mom's maiden name and my brother's middle name.  Archer is my grandmother's maiden name, she passed away 2 years ago.  Collin I suggested and DH really liked it... any input????

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

#12 of 154 Old 11-17-2011, 05:21 PM

Personally I prefer Collin Graham, but William Archer isn't bad either.

#13 of 154 Old 11-17-2011, 05:33 PM

The first thing I thought of when I saw Errol was the owl from Harry Potter, so I would use owl as a nickname. I am a bit weird like that though! I really like Amadeus as well.

Daylicious, I adore Poppy, and off the boys list think Finley and Sullivan both sound good with Raymond.

Chiromom, I like both of those equally lol...big help.

My criteria for names are :girl:has to be more than two syllable and end in the "e" sound.Boy:has to be two or more syllables and end in n. So our girl name this time is Serenity Silver, boy is Lucian Danger.

#14 of 154 Old 11-17-2011, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

oh, I love amadeus!

day, I have had a bunch of your names on the various lists I have had over the years.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#15 of 154 Old 11-17-2011, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

chiro I am a huge fab of Col(l)in, but one of our good friends (and groomsmen at our wedding) is named Colin. My Hubs loves William and  I DO like it but i don't like the nicknames. he pushed for that for the first name if it was a boy.

#16 of 154 Old 11-17-2011, 06:22 PM

Chiro: I LOVE the name Archer. Mad mad love for that name. It was my #1 boy name, but my DH has 100% vetoed it, unfortunately greensad.gif le sigh...

I say go for Archer William wink1.gif

#17 of 154 Old 11-17-2011, 07:54 PM

chiro- have you tried mixing them up differently, like Collin Archer? Just a thought ;) (I happen to like those two best of the four)

wendybird- I love the idea of owl as a nickname! Perfect! and I think both your new names are awesome :)

#18 of 154 Old 11-17-2011, 08:01 PM

I also love William Archer!

happily married to my rock and roll cowboy guitar.gif since 2009, living the dream with our Rosebud, 26/04/12 joy.gif

#19 of 154 Old 11-18-2011, 06:17 AM

Today's inspirations, in a more classical mood:

Isadore

Valentine

Raphael (or a variation, like Ravel)

#20 of 154 Old 11-18-2011, 06:22 AM

day- I have mixed them before, but hadn't put Archer William together, my only concern with using Archer first is I don't like Archie for a nick name...otherwise its a great name...i'll have to pass it on to dh and see what her thinks

colin archer is good too, i like that better now than before... guess there's a lot of time for waffling

wendy, your names are great!

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

#21 of 154 Old 11-18-2011, 07:00 AM

Loving the name thread!

Courtney - I really like Jillian and Coraline.  A Coraline would also have a pretty cool Neil Gaiman book to go along with her name one day too.

Jess - Errol and Quentin would be my picks.  I think Quentin is especially fun since this one will be your fifth!

Daylicious - I love the Clementine and Madeline names, but the rhyming might be too much.  I think Poppy would be really nice!  I think my favourite of the boy names is Jasper.  I keep debating adding Jasper to our list too!

Chiro - I like both of those names - I can't choose one!

Wendy - I love Serenity and Lucian! :)

I'll post my lists in a separate post.

knit.gifLaura, mama to my wonderful Wilhelmina (11/08) energy.gif and my precious Peregrine (4/12) babyboy.gif

#22 of 154 Old 11-18-2011, 07:04 AM

I guess the girl names aren't needed anymore, but here were the top contenders anyways:
Adelaide
Ginevra
Isadora
Juniper

Our top contenders for a boy are currently:
Peregrine (Peri/Perin)
Darwin
Linden
Hawthorne
Possible middle names: Avery, Lindsay, Rhys
Thoughts/Suggestions?  I liked Peregrine Avery... but then realized it was close to Peregrine Aviary and that made me laugh. :p

knit.gifLaura, mama to my wonderful Wilhelmina (11/08) energy.gif and my precious Peregrine (4/12) babyboy.gif

#23 of 154 Old 11-18-2011, 07:45 AM

Laura, I really like Peregrine, but one thing to keep in mind is that it is the name of a hobbit (Peregrin Took/Pippin from Lord of the Rings). I have an acquaintance who named her son Thorin (second biggest character in The Hobbit) and gave me weird looks when I referred to him as her "little dwarf."

I LOVE Lindsay as a middle name. Part of me really wants to bring back the girly boy names to the boy side, but that didn't work out this time (we're going with Tavian Miles Alexander).

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#24 of 154 Old 11-18-2011, 08:26 AM

I love naming threads, and I love everyone's choices.

Whitaker is my #1 fave right now, for a boy, but I have a "W" last name, and it sounds terrible.  Sad. 

So, here's my list, with possible middle names mixed in:

Boys:

Paxton

Thomas (Either first or middle, if we have a boy.  It's my DHs middle name, my dad's first, and countless ancestors)

Booth

Hemingway

Whitaker (I'm keeping it on there just in case my husband decides we should change our last name in the next 4 months...)

Cash

Girls:

Ophelia

Edythe * (This is likely going to be the first name if it's a girl, after my grandma)

Hazel

Florence

Hermione

Shalome

Evangeline (nn Vangy - my middle name)

Soleil

Luna

So, today I like Thomas Booth for a boy and Edythe Soleil for a girl.  I like Booth as a first name, but DH isn't sold, and, even though his middle name is Thomas, he doesn't like Tommy as a nick name, so he's worried about that too.  I say Booth like "sooth" and he says it like "tooth" and he thinks it would be confusing. I told him he would just have to learn how to say it, it's a family name.  While I'm 99% set on Edythe, I'm up for suggestions on all others.  We've got no requirements, just nothing too common.  I've already got an Elliot (Eli) Max and a Silas Jeremiah.

I'm going to have to comment separately on others posts.

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
#25 of 154 Old 11-18-2011, 08:38 AM

I had the name Eowyn picked out for a girl, but now that we know baby is a boy I have no idea!

Here is our list so far:

Caspian( dh's fave so far)

Sirius 

Wulfic( I think Wulfie as a nick name would be really cute)

Eomer ( dh hates this one)

Marius

River

and dh has shot down any others that I have suggested. He is mostly refusing to settle on any at this point. I don't even know what we're going to use as a middle name. I think Wulfric flows best with our last name ( Harle Von Hansmeyer). I'm much better with girls names.

Mother to one Little Flower Childdust.gif 3/08 and one little squirmy boy babyf.gif 4/12 homebirth.jpg, Wife to fuzmalesling.gif,I am a Vegan Pagan. We familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif mdcblog5.gif!

#26 of 154 Old 11-18-2011, 08:39 AM

Thursday Girl:

Like I said, I LOVE Whitaker, and I think your whole name goes together beautifully!  And, I love the idea of using March as a middle. My mom would adore that!  But, Jane is my favourite from your list.  Simple and classic, but not too common.

Jess in Hawaii:

I like Percival, Loki and Cypress.  I think it's great that it's your kids that are nixing names.  My baby sister (#8) was born when my oldest sister was 20.  It honestly took three months AFTER she was born for all of us to agree on a name.  I'm sure that my mom had the ultimate say, but we were all involved, and I loved that.  Oh, and I love Isadore as well.

Daylicious:

Um, I totally love your list. I can't narrow it down.  I love the nn Ever, and I think Fable is fantastic.  As for boys, Holden, Sullivan and Ephraim are my faves.

Chiromama01

I like William Archer.  I haven't loved William before, but I think with Archer it goes perfectly.

Hazelbranch:

I like Adelaide the best, but all your names are fantastic.  We have a redheaded sister (the only 1 in 8) and her name is Holly Allegra.  We have always called her Holly Berry.)  For boys, I like Hawthorne a lot.  Hawthorne Rhys sounds great.

Ravensong13

I love Sirius and River.  Sirius from Harry Potter, and my favourite horse I have ever owned was River (and no, I am not adverse to naming my children after past horses!)

Kay, I think I got them all.  Keep em coming ladies.  I love this.

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
#27 of 154 Old 11-18-2011, 09:24 AM

Ashley - If we name him Peregrine, I might even take to calling him my "little hobbit". ;)  We love LotR around these parts so it is not a deterrent, but it wasn't the origin of the name choice for us.  We just like it.  I love Lindsay as a middle name too - it feels dated as a girl's name but not so much for a boy for some reason.  We'd use it primarily as a nod to my maternal grandmother because she was from Scotland and that was her maiden/clan name.  Plus DH loves Lindsay Buckingham so that doesn't hurt either.

Jennyvangy - Thomas Booth and Edythe Soleil both sound lovely to me!

Ravensong - Eowyn would have been a lovely name.  For a boy, I really like all of your names actually!  I guess my faves would be Caspian, Wulfic or River.  The Harry Potter fan in me is a little smitten with Sirius too. ;)

#28 of 154 Old 11-18-2011, 11:38 AM

hazelbranch- Peregrine is on my list too, but I didn't put it because it's actually really special to me and I didn't want to go public with it but it will likely end up as part of the name. It is part of my magickal name and if I had everything to do over again, I would give it to all my children as a last name. So of course I like it! My second boy's middle name is Hawthorne smile.gif

ravensong- all good choices! I don't remember if I wrote Marius on my first post, but it is the one suggestion of my other boys' that I'm kind of considering -my eldest and his good friend pretend to be brothers by the names of Marius and Lestat Giovanni, so he suggested all these, tho I may have only put Lestat because I wrote the ones I definitely will not be using winky.gif

#29 of 154 Old 11-18-2011, 11:50 AM

Laura: Great! I don't think most LotR names are deterrents, but it's one of those if you're going to name your kid after a popular geeky character, you should know it. DH nixed Malcolm because it has too much geek cred right now.

Jennyvangy: This midwesterner says "sooth" and "tooth" the same way. I've never heard them pronounced differently.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#30 of 154 Old 11-18-2011, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Hazelbranch I love Peregrin and the nickname Perin is sweet like candy. and I am with sunflower on the bringing back names stolen from the girls. Lindsay, Kelly, Ashley, and Courtney should all once again belong to boys.

Jennyvangy, Whitaker is the best. I still think I might get to use it. Cash was on our list for years. When I hear Booth I just think Lincoln. Hermione is one of my favorite girls names and I LOVE Hazel too.

Ravensong- I like Wulfie, I think it's great, I tried to talk hubs into Wolfgang but he said no. I also like Roosevelt and would TOTALLY call him Rosie, I think me telling Hubs that was the nail in the coffin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page