Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

PS- 

Hazelbranch, guess I'm the troll they invited in by that email! winky.gif

#122 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I have 4 boys, all circ'd. When I was pregnant with my oldest, I was on the fence about whether or not to circ for personal and religious reasons. I had good friends that did not circ, but it was not very common to leave intact either. I was a nurse aide at the time while I was finishing up college. When I was about 6 months pregnant, I had a patient that was in his late 50's. he had been battling yeast infections of his foreskin for over 2 yrs. He was getting ready to have a circumcision done....in his 50's! He asked me if I was having a boy or girl. When I told him that I was pregnant with a boy, his next question was to whether or not I would have him circumcised. I told him I wasn't sure, that I was on the fence. He said, "young lady, do what you think is best, but I urge you to have him circumcised. I have battled these infections for 2 yrs. The doctors can't get it to go away and it's very painful. I can't stand it. Do you know what it's like to not even be able to have sex with your spouse for two years? And now the doctors are going to do the circumcision. It's no longer a small process, but a major surgery! I wish my mother had gotten me circumcised when I was too young to remember. The pain I have gone through and still yet will go through is terrible. No man should ever have to go through this!" The poor fella was crying while he was talking to me. I later decided to have the procedure done. Since then, I have had several patients that have had troubles with being intact, but not one that has ever been circ'd that said they wished they hadn't been. I've been in nursing for 15 yrs and worked nursing homes, cardiac, medsurg, pediatrics, and psych. My husband is also an RN, and has just recently had an intact patient that was there because of problems of adhesions on the foreskin. He came home from work and said that he has no regrets for the decion we made. 

I did make sure that a numbing cream was used prior to the procedure. The peds doc that did our 2nd sons procedure said it wouldn't help but I insisted. So he had the cream and when it had been long enough (30 minutes maybe, I don't remember now), he was taken for the procedure. A friend was working that day, and went back as well. When the doctor came back, she apologized and said she could tell it had really helped. She said he was fussy with being strapped down but never seemed to notice the actual procedure while it was being done. When my friend came back, I asked her how it went and she said the same thing. Said he sucked on his paci and seemed to listen to her talking to him. She also said it was the best one she had seen done. I have insisted on the cream with the last two as well. Their circ was done by a pediatric surgeon. Each time they said the boys were a little fussy at first but no real issues. The nurses tell me basically the same thing as my friend did. 

I have no problems with someone deciding either way. It's a decision that each parent must decide on for their own conscious. This is my story as to why we chose to have our sons circ'd. I didn't read through any of the other posts, so not sure what everyone else has had to say. 

#123 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 07:55 AM

Well, that's it for me. I now have serious issues about the lack of moderation on this thread. It has become a platform for single-post, single issue trolls and this community should not be enabling this "discussion".  It violates the ideals of the community as well as the stated terms of the user agreement.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#124 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 08:05 AM

I will never understand why someone would post in a 7 page thread without first reading any of the other previous posts. I will also never understand making such a huge decision based on anecdotal evidence. Research. Seriously, when fully researched and understood, there is no justification for it. The end.

A + B = B nut.gif (10/05) & C joy.gif (03/09) 
#125 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Mommy View Post

Well, that's it for me. I now have serious issues about the lack of moderation on this thread. It has become a platform for single-post, single issue trolls and this community should not be enabling this "discussion".  It violates the ideals of the community as well as the stated terms of the user agreement.

I reported that post. I hope it would be deleted but since the other offensive posts weren't ... I'm not holding my breath.
#126 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 08:10 AM

i think this is one of those decisions that call for each parent to do their own research - making sure it is from both sides of the argument - and then make THEIR OWN decision... based on THEIR OWN research and private conversation. i find many women don't circumcise their sons because a lot of circles look so harshly on doing it and there seems to be pressure not to. i will say that in my reading lately i did read that the pediatric association has officially taken a neutral stand - not for or against.

i definitely had my husband weigh in on this issue heavily, since he is a man and our son is - a boy. and knowing that he has our son's BEST interest in mind, i trusted his final decision.

i have read pros and cons for both sides. i think whatever a parent decides, AS LONG AS IT HAS BEEN an INFORMED choice, we -as outside community to that family- need to just respect that choice.

too often we ask the outside community what their OPINION is - which is often just that, an opinion - and make our decisions based on that. this is not in our children's best interest. we need to do our own research based on facts and through discussions with our partner, make the final decision. independent of what anyone else thinks or believes to be right.

[i don't have time to go through 7 pages of comments. this is just my response to the original question. and i hope that helps you (the one who originally asked :)]

#127 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmomma View Post

I have 4 boys, all circ'd. When I was pregnant with my oldest, I was on the fence about whether or not to circ for personal and religious reasons. I had good friends that did not circ, but it was not very common to leave intact either. I was a nurse aide at the time while I was finishing up college. When I was about 6 months pregnant, I had a patient that was in his late 50's. he had been battling yeast infections of his foreskin for over 2 yrs. He was getting ready to have a circumcision done....in his 50's! He asked me if I was having a boy or girl. When I told him that I was pregnant with a boy, his next question was to whether or not I would have him circumcised. I told him I wasn't sure, that I was on the fence. He said, "young lady, do what you think is best, but I urge you to have him circumcised. I have battled these infections for 2 yrs. The doctors can't get it to go away and it's very painful. I can't stand it. Do you know what it's like to not even be able to have sex with your spouse for two years? And now the doctors are going to do the circumcision. It's no longer a small process, but a major surgery! I wish my mother had gotten me circumcised when I was too young to remember. The pain I have gone through and still yet will go through is terrible. No man should ever have to go through this!" The poor fella was crying while he was talking to me. I later decided to have the procedure done. Since then, I have had several patients that have had troubles with being intact, but not one that has ever been circ'd that said they wished they hadn't been. I've been in nursing for 15 yrs and worked nursing homes, cardiac, medsurg, pediatrics, and psych. My husband is also an RN, and has just recently had an intact patient that was there because of problems of adhesions on the foreskin. He came home from work and said that he has no regrets for the decion we made. 

I did make sure that a numbing cream was used prior to the procedure. The peds doc that did our 2nd sons procedure said it wouldn't help but I insisted. So he had the cream and when it had been long enough (30 minutes maybe, I don't remember now), he was taken for the procedure. A friend was working that day, and went back as well. When the doctor came back, she apologized and said she could tell it had really helped. She said he was fussy with being strapped down but never seemed to notice the actual procedure while it was being done. When my friend came back, I asked her how it went and she said the same thing. Said he sucked on his paci and seemed to listen to her talking to him. She also said it was the best one she had seen done. I have insisted on the cream with the last two as well. Their circ was done by a pediatric surgeon. Each time they said the boys were a little fussy at first but no real issues. The nurses tell me basically the same thing as my friend did. 

I have no problems with someone deciding either way. It's a decision that each parent must decide on for their own conscious. This is my story as to why we chose to have our sons circ'd. I didn't read through any of the other posts, so not sure what everyone else has had to say. 

the ONLY reason i am responding to this post is to address the yeast issue. i have dealt with recurrent yeast and bacterial infection through most of my life. doctors would give me pills or creams and it never went away. but i didnt go get circumcised. i changed my diet. i quit taking nexxium, quit drinking milk, quit eating fructose, and quit eating sugar. now the only time i get an issue is when i splurge at holidays and have something with that stuff in it. i am fructose intolerant. i dont digest it, it just goes on to feed the bacteria and yeast in my intestines. keep feeding it, and it will multiply. it then turns into a systemwide overload of bacteria and yeast. it will creep up into your small intestine, populate your colon, and your other moist places. it didnt even cross my mind to cut off the itchy parts of my genitals. if it had i might have also scalped myself and cut out my ear canals cause they itched too. instead, i watched what i ate. didnt even have to take any meds or use any creams. it went away on its own after being on the diet for a couple of weeks.

creddy likes this.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#128 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tash76 View Post

i think this is one of those decisions that call for each parent to do their own research - making sure it is from both sides of the argument - and then make THEIR OWN decision... based on THEIR OWN research and private conversation. i find many women don't circumcise their sons because a lot of circles look so harshly on doing it and there seems to be pressure not to. i will say that in my reading lately i did read that the pediatric association has officially taken a neutral stand - not for or against.
i definitely had my husband weigh in on this issue heavily, since he is a man and our son is - a boy. and knowing that he has our son's BEST interest in mind, i trusted his final decision.
i have read pros and cons for both sides. i think whatever a parent decides, AS LONG AS IT HAS BEEN an INFORMED choice, we -as outside community to that family- need to just respect that choice.

too often we ask the outside community what their OPINION is - which is often just that, an opinion - and make our decisions based on that. this is not in our children's best interest. we need to do our own research based on facts and through discussions with our partner, make the final decision. independent of what anyone else thinks or believes to be right.

It is not a parent's choice to make. It is your son's choice to make when he's grown ..... much like tattoos , piercings or any other body modification.

My kids are making it to 18 with their body intact. I'm their caretaker, not their owner.
starling&diesel likes this.
#129 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Quote:
I will also never understand making such a huge decision based on anecdotal evidence. 

ahhhhhh, it's personal and you can relate to the people-- it's REAL

this is done ALL THE TIME-- the board asks for REAL information on a number of topics 

real people live with real decisions 

Quote:
Research. Seriously, when fully researched and understood, there is no justification for it.

the same could be said for the vaccine industry- they would tell you the exact same thing

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#130 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 08:53 AM

I also wanted to say that our decision to circ was not due to our working in the medical field. It was a decision we made informed! The above was some of what helped us make our decision. I'm guessing it was my post you were saying you reported. I posted why we decided to circ, but I also said its each parents decision to make. I'm not bashing anyone who does or doesn't circ. We don't vaccinate, but I don't bash those that decide to. I give the information, but they have to make the decision they can live with, not one that they felt they had to make because someone was bashing them. I have friends that choose to take their kids to the doctor for every sniffle. We don't. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop being their friend. They have to do what they feel is right for their family. One child has never been to the doctor, he's 5. Two haven't been in almost 9 yrs. another has only been once in his life when he got poison ivy from head to toe and inside his mouth last year. 

I have been a member here for years. I haven't been here much since my youngest was little, but I have been active before. I'm not sure why it shows I've only posted once. Maybe the post count reset or something. I don't know. I found a lot of good information here on vbacs and on immunizations when we were researching. It's the point of view from both sides that help a person make a decision. I answered the question she asked as to why someone did or didn't circ. Had the post read she wanted information against circumcision, I'd have not been inclined to post. But, I didn't realize you could only answer if you agreed to not circ.

#131 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyMommy View Post

PS- 

Hazelbranch, guess I'm the troll they invited in by that email! winky.gif

LOL GoofyMommy.  I hope it didn't come across that I thought everyone attracted to the conversation would be a "troll", just that it might draw some more "trolls" to the conversation now.  If you go back a couple of pages you'll see we have already had to deal with a few "trollish" posts and had to have Moderator involvement.  I'm surprised, given the history on the thread, that MDC would chose to bring further attention to one DDC's conversation.

knit.gifLaura, mama to my wonderful Wilhelmina (11/08) energy.gif and my precious Peregrine (4/12) babyboy.gif

#132 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobeborn View Post

Research. Seriously, when fully researched and understood, there is no justification for it. The end.

Unfortunately, research is a skill that is not often taught in high school, and rarely in college. To do one's own research and become truly knowledgeable on a topic is difficult, time-consuming, and often takes resources that are hard to come by (like access to research journals). I would venture to say that most doctors, midwives, and many other skilled, intelligent, and professional people don't have the ability to interpret research findings, much less do reliable research. Discerning quality research articles from bad ones, understanding implications statistical evidence, and comparing risk likelihoods and impacts are all things that humans are not inherently good at. Over and over it has been shown in labs and in field studies that people don't generally know how to gather, process, and make decisions based on information involving risky or uncertain prospects. 

People are more influenced by their own backgrounds and the default the come to a decision with than by new information. More research usually just adheres to confirmation bias. Exposure to new information and different perspectives with an open mind is probably the best way to approach topics like this. But then again, there are types of people who inherently open to new or different ideas and types that are more conservative and feel that the status quo or known outcomes are the safest and best options. 

For the trolls, this isn't a debate based facts and information. It's about coming to a question with an open mind. I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of people who come to this question (to circ or not) with no "default" belief on the way things *should* be, they will end up in the no-circ camp. 

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#133 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

so I didn't mean to start a throw down here on MDC.  I certainly wasn't looking to encourage offensive posts, or to offend anyone.  i felt, at the time of the original post, that this was a safe place to ask a difficult question.  I was looking for support, encouragement and information from the moms I have grown to know and trust through our MDC DDC.  While I know that many members have plenty of information on this subject, I was truly addressing those ladies in my DDC, as I make it a habit to seek advice only from those whom I feel are like minded and sensible individuals, who are likely to have travelled this road before, knowing their goal was to keep their child intact, but perhaps having ventured some of the same obstacles I am know facing in educating a partner who is slightly more "conventional" than I.  I do apologize for and regret the name of the thread, it should not have been a question of whether or not to circ, but rather HOW DID YOU HANDLE THIS SITUATION, GIVEN SIMILAR CIRCUMSTANCES?  I don't know how to end/lock this thread, though it seems as this point it is not productive.  

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

#134 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 10:47 AM

Chiro, I know you didn't, and this discussion started off pretty nicely. I honestly had no problem with it when it was respectful and people were seeking information. Then the trolls showed up, people started getting hurt, then more trolls showed up, etc. The only way to close the thread is for a moderator to lock it, and I agree, that needs to happen. But since Mothering is literally advertising this thread ot their general audience and consequently encouraging more trolling, or at least one off posts of people who are NOT in our DDC or being respectful (DDCC are pretty normal, but they're usually about sharing information and not being disrespectful), it clearly won't happen.

I wonder how Peggy O'Mara feels about this. I used to respect her. I'm dying to know who made that editorial decision and which of the long time people approved that. But considering it's near impossible to even find the UA these days (the one link I found mentioned nothing about circumcision, when the older one very definitely did), it's not like MDC cares about being transparent any more.

This forum used to be a safe space. It's not anymore.

WaitingForKiddos likes this.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#135 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 10:49 AM

I did not mean to DDC crash, I just wanted to add my perspective, that it is he who should be convincing you. I do hope that you read the link I posted upthread, it is very informative and helpful, especially when read by a guy. I know you didn't mean to start a "throw down" but on this particular board, having "to circ or not to circ" in a title of a post is going to provoke strong reactions. The Case Against Circumcision has a lot of good posts, you may find something there by someone in a similar situation. Good luck to you.

#136 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Quote:
 I do hope that you read the link I posted upthread, it is very informative and helpful, especially when read by a guy. 

Quote:
I will never understand why someone would post in a 7 page thread without first reading any of the other previous posts. I will also never understand making such a huge decision based on anecdotal evidence. Research. Seriously, when fully researched and understood, there is no justification for it. The end.

the point of view comes across as lots anecdotal evidence yet you don't support that???

you can have it both ways but other's can't? dizzy.gif

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#137 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 11:07 AM

I am merely trying to get the information out there, it's a good post, I encourage people to educate themselves on the function of the foreskin, and the reality of what circumcision removes. I just wanted to give the OP the support that she is looking for here. Bowing out now, as I have other things to occupy my brain today. Reminding myself why I stopped posting over here....

#138 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama01 View Post

so I didn't mean to start a throw down here on MDC.  I certainly wasn't looking to encourage offensive posts, or to offend anyone.  i felt, at the time of the original post, that this was a safe place to ask a difficult question.  I was looking for support, encouragement and information from the moms I have grown to know and trust through our MDC DDC.  While I know that many members have plenty of information on this subject, I was truly addressing those ladies in my DDC, as I make it a habit to seek advice only from those whom I feel are like minded and sensible individuals, who are likely to have travelled this road before, knowing their goal was to keep their child intact, but perhaps having ventured some of the same obstacles I am know facing in educating a partner who is slightly more "conventional" than I.  I do apologize for and regret the name of the thread, it should not have been a question of whether or not to circ, but rather HOW DID YOU HANDLE THIS SITUATION, GIVEN SIMILAR CIRCUMSTANCES?  I don't know how to end/lock this thread, though it seems as this point it is not productive.  

it used to be that you (the OP) could change the title of the thread. maybe go that route?

#139 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 01:46 PM

My boys, 19 and 24 were left intact after many arguments with husband and in laws. Both boys felt that it was the right decision for them because it is their body.

My husband's friend was circumsized a few years ago at the age of forty. He feels that sex was much better before!

#140 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieL View Post

Unfortunately, research is a skill that is not often taught in high school, and rarely in college. To do one's own research and become truly knowledgeable on a topic is difficult, time-consuming, and often takes resources that are hard to come by (like access to research journals). I would venture to say that most doctors, midwives, and many other skilled, intelligent, and professional people don't have the ability to interpret research findings, much less do reliable research. Discerning quality research articles from bad ones, understanding implications statistical evidence, and comparing risk likelihoods and impacts are all things that humans are not inherently good at. Over and over it has been shown in labs and in field studies that people don't generally know how to gather, process, and make decisions based on information involving risky or uncertain prospects. 

People are more influenced by their own backgrounds and the default the come to a decision with than by new information. More research usually just adheres to confirmation bias. Exposure to new information and different perspectives with an open mind is probably the best way to approach topics like this. But then again, there are types of people who inherently open to new or different ideas and types that are more conservative and feel that the status quo or known outcomes are the safest and best options. 

For the trolls, this isn't a debate based facts and information. It's about coming to a question with an open mind. I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of people who come to this question (to circ or not) with no "default" belief on the way things *should* be, they will end up in the no-circ camp. 

So, if one comes to a decision that is different than yours, it must be because that person is unable to accurately interpret information and lacks the ability to discern for themselves? it's statements like these that cause the threads to get heated. I simply gave my answer to her question. I even said that it has to be their decision and not based on what others tell them they have to do. I'm not going to come on here and say stupid things like if you don't do it then you must be ignorant and hate your child. If another family decides to send their child to public school instead of homeschooling then it's clear that they don't love their child and just wants a government babysitter? That's ridiculous. They have to decide what is best for their family. The fact a person doesn't have the ability to have an answer different than yours is really sad. I would say a person that would bully someone instead of presenting the information and allowing them to make their own informed decision shows ignorance and an unkind personality.

So I'm smart enough to save someone's life if they are having a stroke, or having a heart attack in front of me, or actively hemorraging internally (all situations that have happened) but I'm too ignoant to read a research paper and interpret their findings. Im unable to make an informed decision for my family because my decision is different than yours. 

​I didn't read all seven pages because I didn't realize that it was necessary to answer the question as to why *I* chose to circ or not. 

OP I'm sorry your post went from an answer from others as to why they chose as they did to a debate as to why only one decion is the only possible. If you choose not to circ, then do so because you and your dh have discussed your views/research and that is what you both decided on. Not because you are the woman and you sign the papers so it's your choice. How would you feel if God forbid you were unconscious for a week after you gave birth and your dh just decided that since he had the upper hand he would do whatever he wanted? This is his child as well as yours. He deserves for y'all to communicate and make the decision together. If you decide to circ, don't let others tell you the decision was made because you are less of a person and you can't possibly care about your child. Best wishes for your family as you go through this!

#141 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmomma View Post

I also wanted to say that our decision to circ was not due to our working in the medical field. It was a decision we made informed! The above was some of what helped us make our decision. I'm guessing it was my post you were saying you reported. I posted why we decided to circ, but I also said its each parents decision to make. I'm not bashing anyone who does or doesn't circ. We don't vaccinate, but I don't bash those that decide to. I give the information, but they have to make the decision they can live with, not one that they felt they had to make because someone was bashing them. I have friends that choose to take their kids to the doctor for every sniffle. We don't. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop being their friend. They have to do what they feel is right for their family. One child has never been to the doctor, he's 5. Two haven't been in almost 9 yrs. another has only been once in his life when he got poison ivy from head to toe and inside his mouth last year. 

I have been a member here for years. I haven't been here much since my youngest was little, but I have been active before. I'm not sure why it shows I've only posted once. Maybe the post count reset or something. I don't know. I found a lot of good information here on vbacs and on immunizations when we were researching. It's the point of view from both sides that help a person make a decision. I answered the question she asked as to why someone did or didn't circ. Had the post read she wanted information against circumcision, I'd have not been inclined to post. But, I didn't realize you could only answer if you agreed to not circ.

I agree with your previous post about why you guys did what you did, I to have my son circ'd for baiscally the same reasons you stated! This forum is CLEARLY not for people who chose not to circ, only for those who did, which is STUPID because like you said, the question was "TO CIRC OR NOT" which means the mother who wrote that wants both sides, personal stories, and as much info that she can, but the other mothers dont agree with answering the "NOT" part. They get very offended "for no reason" if you disagree, even if you don't say not one negative thing about moms who chose not to. I wouldn't worry about being called a troll, thats childish, and there was nothing wrong with you post. You didn't say nothing out of place, you answerd the mother who posted the questions answer! Don't feel bad!

#142 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

It is not a parent's choice to make. It is your son's choice to make when he's grown ..... much like tattoos , piercings or any other body modification.
My kids are making it to 18 with their body intact. I'm their caretaker, not their owner.

and that's YOUR view of this issue. that's what i'm saying. if you came to the conclusion that it is up to your son, then that is your decision on this issue. if you read my post, i was saying that i believe the issue of circumcision is a choice that we need to make = whether to do it or not do it is a choice we make about this issue.

by saying that you think it is your son's choice, you are saying that the choice you made on behalf of your son is that it is his decision, not your's. and that is YOUR decision.

i never shared with you (this community) what choice we made. my point was merely that circumcision needs to be an INFORMED choice. if you end up, after researching it, deciding that it is your son't choice, then that is YOUR choice about this issue. if you end up making the decision on behalf of your son, then that is the choice you make.

either is a choice. as long as it is an INFORMED choice, you're still making a choice.

another point i was trying to make was that whatever choice a parent(s) makes on behalf of their children, AS LONG AS IT IS an INFORMED CHOICE, we need - as the extended community - to stop making judgements and be supportive of each other. we have enough on our plate as parents than to add a section where we feel we need to defend the decisions we're making. we should be supportive and encourage each other to make INFORMED choices and then believe that we are each making the best decision WE KNOW WE CAN for our children.

#143 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draigunfly View Post

This forum is CLEARLY not for people who chose not to circ.....

This forum is for women who are having babies in April. The thread got out of hand when a bunch of other people crashed. If the OP had wanted to have all of MDC chiming in, she would have posted in "Health" or "I'm Pregnant", but she didn't, she instead posted to the relatively small group of women she had been having discussions with about other aspects of being currently pregnant. I'm sure within our group she could have and had a meaningful open dialogue about choices, but instead this turned into so much soapbox.gif from people who wouldn't just mind their own business.

creddy and Kamiro like this.

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

#144 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 03:57 PM

Did you know that your DDC has the ability to become a Social Group that would require membership for people to comment in your DDC? Im just saying, this is a public forum, and anyone can post here, so if people dont feel comfortable allowing the entire board to comment on a topic, that might be something to consider. Most of the people who have provided actual facts and statistics have been long time members and frequent posters in the Case Against Circumcision, and they are also not in the April DDC. Circ is a really emotional topic, and if people want to discuss it without people who are passionate about it weighing in, they should probably do it more privately. All of the posts in your DDC come up in the "New Posts" feed, and there is only so long that some of us can read along without commenting when it is a passionate issue- especially when misinformation is being spread and moms who have done extensive research feel an obligation to correct posters.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#145 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thank you for sharing this.  Wow, I had no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyMommy View Post

Ok, I am a sometimes lurker to MDC & got this in an email.

I can't keep quiet about something that ALWAYS gets somewhat brought up in circ discussions, and it kills me. 

I am a Christian & very comfotable in my belief.  Anyone that believes that circumcision is required by Christianity really needs to read the New Testament.  There are many, MANY passages which state that circumcision is not only no longer required, but discouraged. (and anyone who wants specific scripture, just ask.  I'll provide.)

I hate when people say that they have to circumcise because of their religion if they are talking about Christianity. 

I'm not sure if you're still reading, but I would love the verses you're referring to.  Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess in hawaii View Post

This forum is for women who are having babies in April. The thread got out of hand when a bunch of other people crashed. If the OP had wanted to have all of MDC chiming in, she would have posted in "Health" or "I'm Pregnant", but she didn't, she instead posted to the relatively small group of women she had been having discussions with about other aspects of being currently pregnant. I'm sure within our group she could have and had a meaningful open dialogue about choices, but instead this turned into so much soapbox.gif from people who wouldn't just mind their own business.

I guess MDC decided otherwise when they sent an e-mail blast of this discussion.  blowkiss.gif

#146 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 04:15 PM

I think it is a common concern for Daddy to have your DH's worry about locker room anxieties and not looking like Daddy. My DH felt that way UNTIL he saw some post-op photos, he was instantly convinced. If that doesn't work, a video of the procedure is pretty universally horrifying/convincing. Few people who choose circumcision are aware what it really means happens.

"That's the way it is, if that's the way it seems to you."

"Cosi e se vi pare."

Luigi Pirandello

#147 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess in hawaii View Post

Seriously! If you aren't expecting a baby in April GTFO!

I've been flagging any pro-circ post by someone with less than 15 posts to MDC who doesn't seem to be due in April as trolling. I don't care if they aren't as obnoxious as the trolls on Reddit, joining MDC or starting a sock puppet to spam our board with why they want to cut parts of their son's dick off is TROLLING. Complaining about how that discussion isn't welcome here, the ONE effing parenting board on the internet that is explicitly anti-circ, is TROLLING.

You wanna talk about how great it is to wipe meconium off an open wound? GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! If you're here to get a rise out of people like me, you're a TROLL. You may have succeeded, but you're a TROLL. I could start naming names, but really, you know who you are. STOP TROLLING MY DDC!

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#148 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 05:17 PM

Ashley, it's easy to get upset, especially in our current condition (if anyone knows that after the night I've had it's me)...but try to remain calm...for you, for the baby. I really enjoy your posts, and agree with you on so many issues, and I hate to see you hurting yourself this way.

Brande: Mama of 5 and perpetual student.

#149 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 05:31 PM

Zuzu, my problem is this: http://xkcd.com/386/ I occasionally get drawn into flame wars because, well, they can be fun. But yeah, I was done with this thread until Mothering betrayed us by publicizing it for shits and giggles (and page hits).

#150 of 156 Old 11-29-2011, 05:57 PM

Where did they publicize it?

Love the xkcd reference!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page