Been thinking about this crazy world - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-02-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone else been thinking about this crazy world we're getting ready to give birth in. (Or TO dependiing on how you look at it!)

There is just soooo much stuff that I don't want my children exposed to. For instance we are seriously considering homeschooling because both hubby and I feel that our educational system is shot.  I honestly think he would come from from school and we'de end up teaching him what ACTUALLY happened when Christopher Columbus said the ocean blue in 1492!!! We figure, if we're that picky, we'll do it themselves!

But most everything else you can't sheild your children from! What are some of the things that you mamas think about, or are activist about?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2011, 02:34 PM

I think about this a lot.  I wish that my DH would let me  homeschool our kids, I wanted to start with my now middle schooler this year, but he didn't like the idea. DS was all for it though. irked.gif  I don't know why he didn't want me to, maybe he will change his mind for next year.  We have 2 kids in public school, 6th grade and 5K.  Next year our DS2 will be in 4K, and I will be home with just this little one.  I would love to keep my kids with me all day (even though it can be stressful). 

We expose them to as many positive experiences as we can, especially at our church.  We go to a non denominational Christian church, which is very contemporary and has WONDERFUL childrens programs.  Our kids have wonderful morals, but really we can't escape what they bring home from school.  Even though we live in a rather small town in South East WI, there are soooo many misbehaved children (and their parents for that matter nut.gif ).  I am right there with you, Momma!

Old 12-02-2011, 03:07 PM

Yep, I'm with you both, though I don't think I could mentally handle the idea of homeschooling and being responsible for a new baby... so my solution is to find a small private school whose code of ethics and behavioral code I agree with and am willing to be consistent with at home... it not perfect but it's the best I can do...

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

Old 12-02-2011, 03:43 PM

I constantly find myself wanting to apologize to our son that things are better here (here as in this planet in general) for him.

We are struggling with whether to send him to Kindergarten in the fall. School is really scary to me and I worry about the impact that it will have on us as a family to have him away for so much of the day and so much of the week. In that respect, it isn't Kindergarten that worries me the most, but I have friends with first and second grade kids who routinely have an hour (or more!) of homework at night when they get home. I just cannot imagine having him gone all day and then coming home and spending nearly to dinner working on more school work. That just leaves so little time for us as a family. We do have some concerns though about whether homeschool would be the best choice for him and for how long we would be able to sustain it without me working. Oh man, it is just so overwhelming to even think about. I keep trying to remind myself that whatever we decide is not a permanent decision and that we can always change our minds but still it makes my head spin. Plus, I feel like him being old enough for school already is a complete surprise. Time goes so fast.

Then, I also worry about the crazy climate, the crazy politics, that so many people just sort have really bad ideas and on and on and on. I seriously spend time feeling really horrible that we sated our primal drive to procreate and saddled him with such a messed up place to live. Though, I do have hope that by the time he is old enough to realize how mixed up things are that they could be getting better. Also, I suppose it is somewhat about perspective and he could have an entirely different world view. 

MommaHen, we are also in Wisconsin!

Old 12-02-2011, 04:18 PM

We chose to home school. We will be homeschooling the new baby as it is an extension of natural family life for us. Like most life style choices I can only say how it has worked for us and not you should do it :) The writings of John Taylor Gatto and Drs. Dorothy and Raymond Moore make my argument much, much better than I ever could. The biggest benefit of homeschooling for us, is that my children are not socialized to see cruelty as normal. There are benefits to not being socialized to a screwed up system. I do think that this is totally possible to achieve if you conveniently school your children, harder maybe, and perhaps I am not as dedicated as it would have taken to make it happen any other way, it is just one of the things I discovered after we started our home school journey. It seems to be pretty common in the home schooled kids in our circle, but again, it is too small a sample size to mean anything.

I wish I had managed to protect my children from my alcoholic ex husband better. Sticking ones head in the sand for any reason is just plain stupid. Even though, in part, I stayed because I wanted to be able to keep homeschooling, and to maintain stability for the kids...it wasn't worth the trade offs.

You can't protect them from everything, but do try...it is all we have :)

Old 12-02-2011, 04:20 PM

oops double post

Old 12-03-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaismum View Post

I constantly find myself wanting to apologize to our son that things are better here (here as in this planet in general) for him.

We are struggling with whether to send him to Kindergarten in the fall. School is really scary to me and I worry about the impact that it will have on us as a family to have him away for so much of the day and so much of the week. In that respect, it isn't Kindergarten that worries me the most, but I have friends with first and second grade kids who routinely have an hour (or more!) of homework at night when they get home. I just cannot imagine having him gone all day and then coming home and spending nearly to dinner working on more school work. That just leaves so little time for us as a family. We do have some concerns though about whether homeschool would be the best choice for him and for how long we would be able to sustain it without me working. Oh man, it is just so overwhelming to even think about. I keep trying to remind myself that whatever we decide is not a permanent decision and that we can always change our minds but still it makes my head spin. Plus, I feel like him being old enough for school already is a complete surprise. Time goes so fast.

Then, I also worry about the crazy climate, the crazy politics, that so many people just sort have really bad ideas and on and on and on. I seriously spend time feeling really horrible that we sated our primal drive to procreate and saddled him with such a messed up place to live. Though, I do have hope that by the time he is old enough to realize how mixed up things are that they could be getting better. Also, I suppose it is somewhat about perspective and he could have an entirely different world view. 

MommaHen, we are also in Wisconsin!

I think my DH is worried that I will stress out too much or give up on homeschooling.  IDK, I believe that if my heart is in the right place and I have the support that I could do it.  We were thinking that once DS2 went to school full time (part time next fall and full the following) that I would go back to work (avoiding the childcare fees), but then I found out that we are expecting again.  I am hoping that he changes his mind now that we know that I will be home for at least 5 more years!

I agree with the crazy politics, here in WI it is BAD.  My DH is all for Walker holding office, and is very conservative.  He is a Fox News watcher and all 2whistle.gif  I HATE watching all that stuff, there is a lot that I don't agree with... BUT I am not a very political person. I believe what I believe and I don't fall in any political category!  I just wish that we could live off of trades and not money! Greed is killer.

Where in WI are you from?!  That is awesome to find another Wisconsonite! cold.gif

Old 12-03-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaHen View Post

Where in WI are you from?!  That is awesome to find another Wisconsonite! cold.gif

We live near Appleton. cold.gif <---- For sure. I am planning on not even opening the door today. So deary and wet and chilly. Very conducive to pregnancy for me though as I mostly feel like hibernating. I couldn't ask for a better place to live to make me feel like hiding inside in sweat pants is totally acceptable.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

We live in Appleton. cold.gif <---- For sure. I am planning on not even opening the door today. So deary and wet and chilly. Very conducive to pregnancy for me though as I mostly feel like hibernating. I couldn't ask for a better place to live to make me feel like hiding inside in sweat pants is totally acceptable.

Ah I second that!!! Well I'm not in WI, we're in AK and I'm loving being pregnant during this time of year. I wonder if perhaps there needs to be some kind of 'sweat pants club?'  The only downfall is that they track an awful lot of snow!  Ack, speaking of, show shoveling duty calls....

Old 12-04-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:

We live in Appleton. cold.gif <---- For sure. I am planning on not even opening the door today. So deary and wet and chilly. Very conducive to pregnancy for me though as I mostly feel like hibernating. I couldn't ask for a better place to live to make me feel like hiding inside in sweat pants is totally acceptable.

I poked in on this thread to see what everyone had to add but now I want to mention that I grew up in Appleton!!!!   I still live in Wisconsin and get back to Appleton a couple of times a month.

There are so many pressures from all different areas. I just know that DH and I will always have to be on our toes when it comes to teaching our kiddos. We can't leave it to anyone else!

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

Old 12-06-2011, 05:57 PM

grouphug.gif So many Wisconsin Mommas!  I am about 30 min south of Milwaukee.  Small town, I am sure that no one has heard of it! ROTFLMAO.gif It would be too cool to get together after our littles are here!

Old 12-07-2011, 01:21 PM

MommaHen:  I live in a little town called Norway, WI which is just north of Waterford and south of Muskego.  My husband grew-up in Wind Lake which is about 5 minutes from Norway. 

I have been thinking about the world we now live in and it does worry me about all the issues that are now happening.  Including school, my niece is a Freshman in high school and she has been on the computer since 2nd or 3rd grade.  I have heard now that they don't teach cursive writing anymore due to the age of computers.  Likely be us we live in the country, really we are surrounded by farms and my son gets to see two farmers that have cows on them on the way to daycare.  When we pass the second one he also says "Cows all gone". 

Married to a great DH since 2001; Have a wonderful DS (01/09); Have one little angel angel.gif in Heaven (05/11 at 7wks); been TTC since 10/09. BFP pos.gif on 07/31/11 due April 14. Cerclage placed 9/30/11; at 33wks cervix down to 1cm  Scott Edward born 03/13/12 at 2:56am at 35wks 2 day. 

Old 12-09-2011, 06:54 AM

Remark71, NO KIDDING!  LOL.  I was married at Norway Lutheran, so I know where you are!  Sooo cool!  We could have a preggo party! lol

Old 12-09-2011, 10:22 AM

Kaismum, we're practically neighbors!  We're a homeschooling/natural learning family in Kaukauna, WI :)  Many times I have to remind myself of all the good in this crazy beautiful world because otherwise I start feeling very down and pessimistic about the world we live in.

Tanya treehugger.gif DH-Brian, DD Adri (8), DD Izzy (7), DS Ollie angel.gif (1/5/11 @ 17 weeks) and our rainbow1284.gif baby due April 12th, 2012.

Of all the lessons I did not learn as a child, or even as an adult; I learn through being, mother to my children. Through love and through pain, we are delivered and blessed!

Old 12-09-2011, 01:41 PM

MommaHen: I live by White Fox Den restaruant, which were we had our wedding reception in 2001.  My husband wanted to get married in the old norway church on the hill but they would let us, so we got married in a small church by Double O and hwy 36.  We could always met someday, if you want. 

Married to a great DH since 2001; Have a wonderful DS (01/09); Have one little angel angel.gif in Heaven (05/11 at 7wks); been TTC since 10/09. BFP pos.gif on 07/31/11 due April 14. Cerclage placed 9/30/11; at 33wks cervix down to 1cm  Scott Edward born 03/13/12 at 2:56am at 35wks 2 day. 

Old 12-10-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiryFairy View Post

Kaismum, we're practically neighbors!  We're a homeschooling/natural learning family in Kaukauna, WI :)  Many times I have to remind myself of all the good in this crazy beautiful world because otherwise I start feeling very down and pessimistic about the world we live in.

Small world! I guess we were all living it up summer in Wisconsin style this year. :) 

User Tag List