VBAC vs Pitocin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-06-2011, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

http://networkedblogs.com/r4rIV

"Did you know that a woman who is VBACing has the same risk of rupture as a woman who is being induced with pitocin, having never had a c-section?  The women who are asking for VBACs are being told it's too dangerous -- they might rupture and kill their babies.  But we NEVER hear of women being told about the risk of rupture when they are induced with pitocin.  Never.  Both carry a risk of less than 1%." 

thought this was worth sharing innocent.gif

homescholing traveling mama of two ('08 and '12) expecting May 2015!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Also, my understanding is that the rupture rate is true of VBACs with pitocin, cervidil, or cytotec (especially cytotec), not non-augmented VBACs. There's actually a hospital out here who will induce VBACs!!!!!

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
Old 12-06-2011, 05:06 PM

Itsy~  I would love to share this information with all of my clients!!!!!!  But, I went to the link and those stats are just posted in a blog-- do you know where I can find the study????

Me = Healer, yogini, lactivist, step-mom, and wife to my dream come true joy.gif So grateful-- baby #1 April 2012

Old 12-07-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

sorry- i just forwarded that and didnt follow the links- maybe email the blog writer? shrug.gif

homescholing traveling mama of two ('08 and '12) expecting May 2015!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:37 AM

Itsy~ I'll try that. I like to be really accurate about the stats I'm throwing around because of the health care providers I work with.  And, I've never heard that stat before and I've worked in birth for the last 10 years so it makes me a little leary of where it's coming from.

Me = Healer, yogini, lactivist, step-mom, and wife to my dream come true joy.gif So grateful-- baby #1 April 2012

Old 12-14-2011, 05:09 AM

Update~  A number have people have commented on her blog asking her to post a link to where she is getting that stat and she hasn't posted anything yet.  I'm guessing there aren't any to back that up because if there where I would be touting it all the time!

Here is what one poster said:

While it's true that both carry a risk of less than 1%, from what I have found, they are not "the same risk". This link discusses multiple studies and says, "the modern rate of unscarred uterine rupture during pregnancy is 0.012% (1 of 8,434)", and a few pages later in the article, it says that the rate of UR in a spontaneous TOLAC is 0.45% -- still less than 1%, but 40x the risk of rupture in an unscarred uterus.

I just think it's really important to clear up things like this.  I find people at work all the time beleiving whatever they read on the internet.  Without checking their sources, etc and it leads parents to making very bad decisions.

User Tag List