Baby Shower - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-27-2011, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Ladies, 

We are getting near that time when baby showers will be coming up soon, and I wanted to see if people are planning or not planning to have one? Tell us about your shower preferences and any party or registry advice for newbie Moms! 

AFM- We are doing a slightly unconventional unisex family/friends shower that we are throwing, where we are planning a big dinner and wine party at a friends restaurant in Manhattan. My mom's name is on the invitation as "hostess" but it's really us putting it together. I didn't want to ask any of our friends or family to coordinate it since everyone is strapped for cash right now and who needs the extra headache after the holidays? We are paying for dinner and booze for around 25 people as a thank you for being so supportive of our journey to parenthood (we did IVF for 3 years to get here, and our friends were so supportive and caring during that time!) and ALSO as a thank you for any gifts we might receive. Our hope is that it's going to be laid back and celebratory for all the guys and gals attending. 

Then my co-workers are throwing a more traditional shower at the photo studio I work at (I am a photo shoot producer for a fashion brand) and I think that is the party where we will have games, prizes and get to act girly/ silly. It should be fun! 

I registered on a website called wishpot where you can make a registry from whatever item from any site on the internet. It's a godsend since so many of the traditional stores don't carry organic items and I don't want to end up with a house full of BPA plastic disney toys. So far, It's great, and hopefully everyone can figure out how to navigate using it for the shower. 

I threw so many baby showers for friends and co-workers when I was going through IVF (it was incredibly difficult, but I always enjoyed it), so I would be lying if I said I wasn't extremely excited for my own showers. In a way, this is as much a celebration for my DH and I finally getting here, as it is for all the people around us. 

#2 of 5 Old 12-27-2011, 07:12 PM

This is my 4th babe so no shower for me but I think that your showers sound fabulous!

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#3 of 5 Old 12-30-2011, 03:53 PM

i am doing a blessing way. so much more me! never liked showers and then i heard about blessing ways and thought, finally i'm not alone. i dont have many like minded friends so it will be small but meaningful. i plan henna, blessings, drumming and a potluck. maybe a fortune teller, and belly dancing too ;) 

#4 of 5 Old 12-31-2011, 04:47 PM

I'm not having a traditional shower. I just can't ask my friends for more gifts! My dd wants to give me a shower, but instead we are going to have a girls night out party. She will ask that my friends only bring a dish for a potluck and she'll take care of the cake. We'll play games and have fun, but NO gifts! I mean it!

Rubylisette, your couples shower sounds amazing!

#5 of 5 Old 03-28-2012, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

With this being my 5th I didn't really want a babyshower....as I have most of the things I need (well the things you can run to walmart and buy anyway) and I don't really like being the center of attention. I have had at least one babyshower with each of my previous pregnancies and with this one my sister in law really wants to throw me a shower.....so I am letting her...more for her benefit than mine. I told her I don't need a traditional shower but that we could do a diaper shower. But the issue is that I really would like to cloth dipe this time around...but I know I have tried it with the last two and I didn't stick with it very long...but I didn't have good dipes either. So I kind of don't like that I might be bombarded with sposies...that I might not even use. So I told her to change the name to a "Blessing Shower" instead and I made a list of things I could use (basically the things that are disposable). I would really like to take advantage of people wanting to bless me and get some actual good cloth dipes....but I don't want to bother people with having to have them find what I want online and order it and such. And unfortunately there are not much for cloth dipes around in this area. So I kind of feel between a rock and a hard place. The nice thing is that if I get a bunch of sposies and decide to go all cloth then I can just donate the sposies to someone or somewhere. So it wouldn't be a total loss. I just really don't want to get a ton of clothes/toys and such.....thankfully we don't know what I am having...so that limits them in what they can buy.
My shower is April 5th....although I am *supposed* to be on bed rest until after then 0_o

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page