unique births? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-05-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

anyone doing something out of your normal comfort zone or the zone of your family/community?

lotus birth, unassisted, water ect?

i am doing my second home birth but am trying for a water birth this time. i know there are tons of benefits but last time water in the shower only bothered me and i hate to think of floating poop! lol

if you've done water give me some input here.

best of luck!

only 1 month or so to go

#2 of 4 Old 03-06-2012, 01:01 PM

My community is super crunchy, way more than me, so I don't think I could do anything unusual... unless it was have a totally medicated hospital birth with scheduled induction, lol.

I have had 3 water births, planning on doing it again, possibly UC... i can't say enough good about the water, I need it! I think we have a waterbirth thread here somewhere, don't we?

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

#3 of 4 Old 03-07-2012, 09:24 AM

My mom was very nervous about my plan of a home birth, but after coming to the home birth information night with the midwives, she's much more comfortable with the idea. In fact, she told me that if she were me, in this time and place, she would choose a home birth too. She would NEVER choose to have a water birth, as I am planning, but that's due to her phobia of the water. She required each of us to take swimming lessons until certified life guards though, because she wanted us to be able to save each other and not share her fear. So she understands why its a very comfortable element for me.

I expected my mother in law to be shocked and horrified, but she managed to shock ME by telling me she wanted a midwife attended water birth at a birthing centre with her last, and that she thinks a home birth would be lovely.

The midwives warned me at my last appointment that they don't scoop poop, so that would have to be designated someone else's job lol.gif I wonder who I can pawn it off on.... my husband or my doula... I am not worried about it, since I don't think I will notice at the time. If I don't know, it can't bother me.

#4 of 4 Old 03-28-2012, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

I am doing my 3rd UC. My extended family obviously would prefer me to do the "normal" thing and go to the hospital...but they know I am set in my ways. So with the first UC they of course were on pins and needles and that stress didn't help me any. Basically come second UC I waited to call my mom until after the baby was born because I didn't want her added stress (she was mad about that..lol) With this one she told me I MUST call her before the baby is born......well we will see...lol. She is a little more laid back now that I have two UCs under my belt as well as two other deliveries. But I have had more issues (nothing too major) with this pg....so hopefully that hasn't undone her "confidence" that I can do it. 0_0

Thankfully I have a strong support group for homebirthers that I am apart of....basically it not like a club or anything where we meet...but we all have had homebirths and just encourage each other....we all live here locally so that helps too. But I am one of the few that UC.....so that kind of sets me apart a bit. But they respect that I think. =)

I have done water birth for my last three births.
My second delivery was at a birthing center in a jacuzzi ....well actually most of the couple minutes of birth happened on the edge of the jacuzzi because they didn't have it filled yet....so I guess technically he wasn't born in the water =S
My next was my first UC and he was born in the bathtub. I enjoyed the ability to add hot water easily...but the tub really wasn't as deep as it should have been to cover my belly and help sooth contrax...I kept having to lay down in the tub and then still have to put a hot rag over my belly. I personally didn't like this as much given the sanitation issues. The bathtub is used daily so it had to be cleaned before I could get in...and well that was a pain...literally.
The next UC I opted for a kiddie pool and so far that was my fav. Although this time around I am going to get a deeper pool as that one was not quite deep enough to cover my belly. I think it was like 18 inches and it should have been at least 24 or something. I will say the only issue was that it was hard keeping warm water in it because our faucet adapter to the hose wasn't working right. So we had to bucket hot water in. So it didn't get as warm as I wanted. Plus knowing when to fill the pool is a big thing. We made the mistake to fill it ahead of time....but then had to dump it and clean it because it grew slim...yuck. So I ended up filling it again the night before delivery and of course it was cold by the time I got in. 
I will say yes....in water birth u do have floating ickiness...but in reality...when you are in the midst of it all...you really don't care..lol. It isn't until afterward when people are dumping the mess that it is somewhat embarrassing..lol....but hey it is normal....birth is messy...no matter where it is!  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page