Birth weight differences in siblings - what's normal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-26-2012, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all - I'm trying not to stress out, but could use some feedback.

Our daughter, due in a week (or 3, as accurate as due dates go) :) is trending to be around 6 pounds, maybe a bit more.  Her brother was about 7lbs7oz and her older sister was 7lbs13oz.  Is such a weight discrepancy anything to worry about?

The pregnancy has gone great otherwise.  She's super (super super) active, and the placenta, amnionic fluid & cord are all great in function.  Her heart rate is also great.  

Really, I'm just freaked out by the size difference.  For what it's worth, my husband and I were both small babies (6 lbs and just under 6 lbs respectively), but I figured her siblings would be a better gauge?

Has anyone else had such different weight differences in their children (that wasn't related to a really pre-term delivery)?  And everything was fine?

#2 of 11 Old 03-26-2012, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

My oldest was 7lb 14.5oz

next was 7.9

next was supposedly 8.55 (but I don't believe it....he was born at home and we used a digital fishing scale to weigh him. The scale was set to kilograms....and we didn't know how to change it.....so we just converted it to lbs later. So I don't know how accurate the scale was. I do know we weighed him a few times in a row and it showed up 3.88 kilograms each time and that was after we did a tare weight on the sling we were hanging him in. So if the machine was working correctly then he should really have been that size.

And well honestly I don't really remember my last....I think it was like 7.6 or something...but we didn't weigh her right after birth....like the others were.

So if those are true, then there are some variation. I will say they all looked about the same size...lol.

I know there was quite a difference between my brothers and me. And there still is. I was born under 6 lbs (5.9) and my brothers were bigger.....and still are bigger.

So it shouldn't be an issue......but keep in mind the weight they say now is not really THAT accurate....so who knows. =S

#3 of 11 Old 03-27-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much.

Anyone else able to share the birth weights of their children?

#4 of 11 Old 03-27-2012, 10:20 AM

I am only preg. With baby number two but I was 7 lb. 10.75 oz and my little sister was something like 5lbs. 12 oz. Not sure what my other two siblings were. My daughter was 7 lbs. 10 oz. But I think my son(still waiting to make his debut) will be larger. I am guessing at least 8 lbs. I hope this helps you. I think variation is normal. smile.gif

"E" reggo :yoga wash.gif :clothes and if I have time knit.gif peas in a pod with overworked DP "E" Cosleeping, Extended breastfeeding, Cloth Diapering(a bit obsessed), babywearing, SAHM to DD wl 9/09 and expecting homebirth in 4/12 joy.gif
#5 of 11 Old 03-28-2012, 02:23 PM

Baby number one - 8lbs 8oz

Baby number two - 7lbs 15oz

Baby number three - 9lbs 9oz

#6 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My midwife told me that your children's weight is determined by your own birth weight.  I was 7 pounds 7 ounces at birth; this has held true for my first and second sons: first was 7 lbs. 12 0z. and second was 7 lbs. 8 oz.  This baby is estimated to be around 7-7 1/2 pounds at birth.

#7 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

For what it's worth, estimates of weight prior to birth are often off by as much as a few pounds.  A friend of mine was induced recently at 41 weeks because the doctors measured the baby at 7 something pounds at 35 weeks, so they were concerned the baby would be huge.  She was 6 pounds at birth.  She could have baked a little longer without any adverse effects.  I wouldn't worry about the weight in general, but be aware that the estimate you have may not be very accurate to begin with and therefore not worth worrying about at all.

Norabella likes this.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#8 of 11 Old 04-10-2012, 07:10 PM

My first was 8lbs. 1 oz.

Second 8lbs. 5 oz. 

Third 11lbs. 10 oz (I did NOT have GD) 

I say 6lbs. is normal and they say babies gain 1/2 lb. per week at the end so she may end up 7lbs. 

#9 of 11 Old 04-10-2012, 10:32 PM

#1 - 7 lbs 11 1/2 oz

#2 - 8 lbs 14 oz

#3 - 7 lbs. 7 oz

#4 - 6 lbs 10 oz

All were born in the 40th week within 2-3 days of EDD.

chicken3.gif Student mama to four big kids and one brand new baby girl Lennon (04/17/12)

#10 of 11 Old 04-22-2012, 01:51 PM

My first- 38 weeks, 2 days: 7lbs
My second- 39 weeks, 5 days (though the midwive thought she was really closer to 41 weeks): 9lbs, 3oz

Mama to 1 home-birthed boy (2/2010) and another baby on the way (spring 2012).
#11 of 11 Old 04-28-2012, 10:49 AM

dd1 6lbs 12 oz

dd2 7lbs 12 oz

ds 8lbs

dd3 7lbs 6 oz

dd4 8lbs 1 oz

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page