Owww. When will I be able to lay down in bed again? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-02-2011, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

I'm five days post emergency C-section now, and the past two nights (while being away from my hospital bed that helped me lift and recline), I've had a horrible time getting in and out of bed.  I just can't seem to find a method that works for me where I don't feel like I'm going to split in half.  I don't know what I did the night before last, but was able, very painfully, to get down and up myself.  But then last night?  It seemed like I was getting worse, not better, and I finally did manage to find a way to get down by myself.  But then just now, I had to get up and go to the bathroom, and I had to have DH help me.  

Normally this wouldn't raise any questions and I'd just continue having DH help me, but in four more days, he will be out of town overnight on a business trip and I'll be on my own (no kids, though, Mom is taking them back to her house with her tomorrow for at least the rest of the month).  Given how I feel now, I am terrified that I'll just have to stay up all night because I won't be able to lay down.  :(  We don't even have any recliners in our living room or anything (just a couple of couches), so it's not like I could sleep in those.  

I'm so frustrated.  :(

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 12-02-2011, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, Harmony, and a BIG congratulations on Jonathan!  joy.gif

I understand what you are going through, and especially why you would be worried about your husband being out of town. 

My best suggestion for getting out of bed is this:  roll onto your side, use your elbow to prop you partway up, then press both palms together to try and get your arm muscles to propel you (somewhat) to a sitting position).  This is what worked for me.  I also sometimes slept on the couch, then kind of rolled onto the floor and got on my knees to use my leg muscles to help me get up.  VERY glamorous, yeah?  But, whatever works!

I have heard other moms say that Belly Bands or a pillow held firmly to the abdomen did wonders for them.

You have been through MAJOR surgery and you should remember that the healing can be a very long process...however, on the upside, you are healing internally every minute...all those little nerve endings are working overtime to regenerate.

Would it help you more for your mom to stay with you?  Could you try it both ways to see what actually is more helpful?  Just a thought.  I am glad that your DH will only be out of town for one night.

Also, I relied on my prescription pain relief for a good while and didn't feel a bit of negativity about it.  I hope you are able to, as well.

I will look forward to what other posters have to say about this.

Again, congratulations on your baby boy!

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#3 of 13 Old 12-02-2011, 08:01 AM

For about the first 10 days I had an awful time getting up and down.  It definitely helped to roll to my side and use my arms to lift myself as much as possible.  It still hurt after 10 days, but I didn't feel quite so incapable of moving.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#4 of 13 Old 12-02-2011, 08:07 AM

First congratulations on the birth of your son!!

Second w/r/t your question - Caedenmomma beat me to the punch, so I will second her recommendation about the roll to the side (with the pillow craddling your lower abdomen (over the incision site)) 

For both of my c/sections - I used this technique (it's a rift of yoga in getting up after corpse pose) and it was a lifesaver.  Also stay ahead of the pain and take medications before the pain gets bad. 

I know (again in my experience) I maintained a regular schedule of medications for the first 2 weeks to support my healing without overexterting myself. Pain is a good indicator if you are overdoing it and you might need additional support and help.

I hope this helps and good luck on your healing! love.gif

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#5 of 13 Old 12-02-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

Also stay ahead of the pain and take medications before the pain gets bad. 

I know (again in my experience) I maintained a regular schedule of medications for the first 2 weeks to support my healing without overexterting myself. Pain is a good indicator if you are overdoing it and you might need additional support and help.

yeahthat.gif  Taking pain meds "when you just can't take the pain anymore" is not the best way to keep yourself comfortable.  Nobody gets an award for holding out until you are in terrible pain.  In addition, the stress of unnecessary pain doesn't do you OR your baby OR your milk supply any good.  I would advise taking your pain meds as prescribed, even if you think you are doing okay...sometimes the pain will sneak up on you or be caused by a movement that about knocks you out.  After the prescription stuff ran out, I took OTC stuff for a good while.

And, though this has been mentioned in this forum (maybe on this thread, too)...narcotics can constipate the crap outta you (well, in you, but you know what I mean).  Push fluids, fiber, and take the prescription laxatives if you've been given them (or OTC if not).  In the end, for me, an enema was the answer my needs in that area.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#6 of 13 Old 12-02-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

To lay down, I sit in bed and then lay down flat on my back, sort of inching down, using my arms for support.  Then to get up, I can roll to the side and then grab the crib (which is right next to my side of the bed) and pull on that to help me sit up, then from sitting, I can stand. 

I am taking my meds, but saving the Norco for night since it makes me so sleepy.  I am taking the ibuprofen as scheduled, though (and the iron and the stool softener).

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
#7 of 13 Old 12-02-2011, 10:59 AM

Iron can firm up your poop, by the way...I have known people who took it because they had loose stools!  You likely need the extra iron, though...just mentioning it can have the side effect of constipation!  So can dried fruit, cheese, bananas, rice, apples...

Just like everything else, the getting out of bed WILL get easier.  The "when does the easier start?"  It might be imperceptibly slow progress, but it does happen eventually.

#8 of 13 Old 12-02-2011, 11:13 AM

I've had great success with Floradix for an iron supplement and found it non-constipating.  Since constipation can lead to more pain, it's definitely worth following all the great advice above about avoiding it.  It can lead to enough pain to make you think things are coming unstitched, tearing or infected in my case.  I'm right there with you though.  I'm about 10 days post c-section and can just now get in and out of bed comfortably, but every one of mine has been different in terms of healing.  There seems to be huge variability as has been mentioned before.

#9 of 13 Old 12-02-2011, 12:05 PM

Oooh, yeah...forgot about Floradix!  Great stuff...pricey, though.

#10 of 13 Old 12-02-2011, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Are you only taking ibuprofen during the day? I would suggest adding paracetamol if the ibuprofen isn't enough on it's own (and you aren't taking another product containing paracetamol of course).

I would also suggest trying lying down the same way you get up, sit on the edge of the bed, lay down on your side and then slowly lift your feet.

And definitely try a bolster for your wound. I used a towel folded and then taped to hold it together. You need to press it firmly against your lower abdomen with the flat of your hand. 

All the best. I hope you're feeling better soon.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#11 of 13 Old 12-02-2011, 07:12 PM

I wouldn't suggest only taking ibuprofin...I would say take all the prescriptions meds you have access to and all that you want of them within what has been prescribed.  When they run out, some folks opt to go cold turkey for pain meds.  I would NOT recommend that at all, personally.

My personal feeling was that the more comfortable I was, the more comfortable I could help my baby be.  I know there are many opinions on meds, both OTC & prescription, but this is mine.

#12 of 13 Old 12-02-2011, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I can't add anymore help, everyones been awesome here. But yeah, you should start feeling a bit better after the 2 wk mark.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#13 of 13 Old 12-04-2011, 03:16 PM

Great suggestions from everyone. I would also suggest "laddering" tylenol with the ibuprofen. Ask your GP or OB/GYN if you don't know how to do that.

I'm assuming your baby is still in the NICU so when you go to visit him, ask if they have a nursing recliner. My baby was in the NICU for a week and they had special nursing recliners that the could roll to her beside so I could sit with my feet propped up when I was visiting her. That helped a ton.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page