C-section hospital bag? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2011, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have complete placenta previa that docs don't think will move.  And, I'm rapidly adjusting to the liklihood of a repeat c-section.  What's more, there has been lots of conversations in the last week suggesting that the c-section may be very soon instead of at 37 weeks.  So, in order to prepare for the worst (preterm baby, emergency c-section, etc...), I think I'm going to get my hospital bag ready. 

Anyone want to share their tips for what to include to make c-section recovery easier or what they think they need in a hospital bag for a longer stay? 

I'm totally picky about toiletries, clothes, food and  have sensitive skin.  So, I've started by putting the following together:

-toiletries

-clothes

-snacks

-camera and charger

-extra phone charger

-entertainment (ipad for skyping with dd, books or magazines, earbuds)

-paper and pen

I'm thinking about buying an abdominal binder based on reccs in other threads here.  Any other recommendations for c-section hospital bags?

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 12:40 PM

~a boppy/my breast friend

~snacks (i know you mentioned, but)-- we're thinking of bringing a cooler for dh with sandwiches, drinks, etc.

~nursing pads

~lansinoh or something like that (toiletries?)

~slippers/more clothes than you'd think

~extra blankets/pillows for you & dh (when we had dd the hospital room was freezing cold)

~a list of numbers or names of people to call (so you don't forget anyone)

~we ended up having to pump some the last time, and it was invaluable to me to have some baby dr. bronners soap to wash the pump parts with.  They tend to give you lots of stuff in the hospital, but soap for the pump was something overlooked for us, for some reason.

~a heating pad if you think that's helpful, or a microwave rice bag.  or a freezer gel pad for boobies when your milk comes in.

~swaddling blankets for the bebe

it makes me mucho nervous to think about this right now :)

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Hildare.  I know I did this once before but I don't seem able to remember anything right now! 

Did you bring your own pump or use the hospitals?  If you used the hospitals, did they provide bottles, shields, etc...?  This is something I'm thinking about with the risk of a preemie in the NICU.  I have a pump from DD but wasn't planning to dig any of that out until after the babe was a few weeks old. 

Old 12-07-2011, 01:18 PM

we used the hospital pump, but in the end they gave us the tubing, the horns, and the little bottles to take home- apparently here at least they cannot reuse them. 

we just washed and reused all those parts. 

everything with the hospital pump they provided, though. 

i hope that you get to wait or that everything's a-ok when you get ready to go.  come on, parsley baby- get big in there fast!

Old 12-07-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsley View Post
... So, I've started by putting the following together:

-toiletries

-clothes

-snacks

-camera and charger

-extra phone charger

-entertainment (ipad for skyping with dd, books or magazines, earbuds)

-paper and pen

I'm thinking about buying an abdominal binder based on reccs in other threads here.  Any other recommendations for c-section hospital bags?

The hospital gave me a ab binder, maybe check if your hospital provides one.

I know you said "entertainment", that was a big one for me. Since my c-section was un-planned, I thought I'd only be in the hospital over-night. I was soooo bored by the 2nd day. Bring lots to keep you "busy".

Good luck!

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

Old 12-07-2011, 06:22 PM

I am a public radio junkie.  I had my radio with me, which was great since we don't do t.v.

I have had one child via a c-section & one vaginally, and my "what to pack for the hospital" bags were the same.

I did really like having my own shampoo & soaps and such since I am very picky and sensitive to smells.

My one vanity item was my hair straightener.  I knew MIL would be taking a bunch of bad pictures of me and my hair looks crazy unless I straighten it.  My advice along these lines is that, unless you are completely comfortable how you look au natural, bring whatever you need so that you won't have to look at pictures of yourself for years to come that you'll regret.

I liked having my pillow from home, too. 

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

Old 12-07-2011, 06:59 PM

There are a couple things that, in hindsight, would have been nice to have had packed.

- your own soft bath towels.  I had to use like 6 little rough ones when I took my shower there.

- probiotics like yogurt and/or kefir or acidophilus

- natural constipation remedies - like prune juice or aloe pulp

married to my best friend ; Proud mama of one fine boy and one fine girl !!!!
Old 12-07-2011, 07:50 PM

I second the suggestion for a radio. I used to work during the day so I had no idea how bad daytime TV actually is. I made DH go home and get a little radio so I wouldn't go insane. I love NPR!

I would check w/your hospital about the pump issue. The hospital that I delivered at had hospital pumps but you had to buy the kit to make the pump work. So DH brought my pump from home for me to use. The hospital where DD was taken for NICU care had hospital pumps and they gave me everything I needed for free, even larger horns as well as bottles for storage and freezing.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 12-07-2011, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd pack the following:

- comfy pajamas, robe, night gowns, or other comfy clothes you can nurse in.
- socks and slippers with rubber soles (hospital germs - eww.)
- your own shampoo, conditioner, lotion, lip balm, toothbrush, toothpaste/powder, floss, hair brush, styling cream, razor if you think you'll need to shave your pits, etc.
- comfy pillows in bright cases (so the hospital doesn't take them)
- a throw or blanket if you'd like something better than the hospital blankets
- snacks and drinks you might like
- entertainment like magazines, books, sodoku, crossword puzzles, etc.
- sleep mask and ear plugs in case you have a loud room (I got stuck in a room right next to the ice maker and it was pretty awful)
- nipple butter and pads (my hospital only gave you ONE pair of pads, no matter how long you stayed)
- nursing pillow
- your own pads if you can't stand hospital sanitary pads
- clothes and a blanket for baby to go home in, as well as an outfit for yourself to go home in

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
Old 12-08-2011, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I definitely need to get a real hospital bag together!  Last time, we were in NYC and we had a million visitors so I can recall asking people to go out and get me whatever I wanted or needed.  (Sometimes just to make them go away for a bit).  This time, I don't expect many visitors or many amenities right near the hospital so I want to plan much better.  I also want to do everything I can to have a good recovery!  It seemed to take forever after my c-section with DD!

Ear plugs and a mask were the first things I put it my bag!  Followed by toiletries and lotion.  I can live without clothes but no chapstick is painful!

Old 12-09-2011, 08:00 AM

Interesting - I have been given kit free twice and the first was on the NHS! The kits are single user so they have to give you a new one. If you have an unusual flange size, bring it just in case they're out (standard Medela kit includes 24mm flanges; I would hope they'd have 27s, but if you use 21s or 36s I would be less sure). I would always have assumed that they'd provide it.

I also brought my own towel, and bring underwear you don't mind ruining. (They should have mesh, but not everyone likes the mesh)

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Old 12-09-2011, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Any thoughts as to what nursing pillow is best with a c-section?  I used a boppy last time but have been wondering if a "My Breast Friend" might work better as it should keep the baby off the incision more completely.  Anyone used both and have an opinion on this?

Old 12-09-2011, 01:51 PM

I used a regular pillow.  I had a Boppy, but they just never worked for me.  It had nothing to do with the fact that I had a c-section; I just liked the flexibility and foldability of a regular pillow.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

Old 12-09-2011, 01:56 PM

I had a Boppy, but there better pillows out there now. The Boppy was too short for my torso, and it is rounded, so baby can kind of roll off if you don't hold them. In the hospital I had to put a couple pillows under the Boppy for support.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
Old 12-10-2011, 07:07 AM

i had a my brest friend, and it was extremely useful.  dd was pretty heavy at birth, and it gave some nice support. 

i like the idea of a boppy, too, b/c there's more you can do with them- sit the baby in them for support later on, let siblings hold the baby with it, etc. 

i still have the brest friend but think i'm going to get a boppy for later.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:09 PM

The Boppy is nice for positioning when they need tummy time, or to let them snuggle it on their back while you cook, etc. DD is 5 and still uses it when she watches tv as a pillow. I think that it works great for some, but just didn't fit my body well. I registered for the Balboa Baby nursing pillow since it is taller and more firm.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:04 PM

Great suggestions! (tagging this thread so I can find it again)

I sell handknit baby sweaters: www.prairiegirlknits.etsy.com

Old 07-05-2012, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I would add, an aromatherapy kit.  Our room smelled so industrial, it would have been nice to have some lavender oil to rub on the light bulbs.  I wouldn't have actually used it on myself in case I got bored and wanted to switch scents (changing a bulb vs shower and change clothes).

Old 10-01-2012, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I would say the NEEDS are:

You own undies - You need high waisted ones to stay off your incision site.  If you bought maternity panties you can wear those.

Your own toiletries/lotion

Nursing cami or bra (my milk came in before I left the hospital, so I needed the support)  I wore just a nursing cami & undies at night, and added PJ shorts/pants during the day when visitors came.

Boppy & Pillows from home.

SOCKS, warm & fuzzy socks

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)

User Tag List